***** Shang-Chi (Origin) *****

Comments

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I'm interested in seeing how Shang Chi... I mean... this "mystery character" actually plays in game. This character looks potentially good, albeit annoying to play with that blue power.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    looks like a 5,5,3 to me and I have one question.  When making a red or purple match do you get one combo point for each tile aka match 3 red equals 3 combo points or just 1.

if you only get one combo point this character is going to be bad.  The extra damage and healing coming from combo point will be extremely hard to get above 5.  If he gets a combo point for ever tile matches then they will become good when boosted tier.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,771 Chairperson of the Boards
    It won't be hard to get over 5 at all.  The idea is to use his targeted tile destruction and targeted critical creation to make red and purple matches, which generate more AP in his colors to keep casting those powers. 

If you try to keep the combo going by making one match a turn, then yes, he is bad.

That said...he's bad.  (At least, in all the ways that MPQ players typically rate characters.)  He's terrible on defense, because the AI will never use him the correct way.  He's too slow for competitive PvE or PvP.  It'll require actual skill and thought to go infinite with him, he doesn't have a passive that murders the enemy team while you watch tv and occasionally look at the board.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    wymtime said:
    looks like a 5,5,3 to me and I have one question.  When making a red or purple match do you get one combo point for each tile aka match 3 red equals 3 combo points or just 1.

if you only get one combo point this character is going to be bad.  The extra damage and healing coming from combo point will be extremely hard to get above 5.  If he gets a combo point for ever tile matches then they will become good when boosted tier.
    No mention of 'tile' in the power description.  It should give a combo point for each match, so a cascade of multiple red or purple matches would give multiple combo points.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Based on Marvel website, it's likely to be Defenders and Avengers.
    That’s kind of cheap if Shang Chi is an Avenger based on a 1 year appearance in an unpopular spinoff. Even the Great Lakes Avengers have a stronger affiliation. ( I hope it’s not Big Bertha )
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:

No mention of 'tile' in the power description.  It should give a combo point for each match, so a cascade of multiple red or purple matches would give multiple combo points.
    It is not the cascades I am worried about it is the single match.  If one match 3 equals 1 combo point.  If this is the case he will only be good after a really strong cascade of red and purple.  Otherwise too many times the combo points will be going down to 0.  Getting above 5 combo points will be either extremely lucky or extremely difficult.  

On the other hand if you got a combo point for each tile matched.  Aka a match 3 equals 3 combo points you could get up to 10 combo points with a cascade or 3 matches.  
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2021
    Whenever <Character's> team makes a Red or Purple match, <Character> gains a Combo Point (Up to 10).
    "Makes a match" refers to 1 point not 3 I'm quite sure.

Purple is more important than red when working toward a high combo point level.

Don't wait on Red for combo points as much, since the health regen is likely low.
    Plan to play this to further increase combo points prior to purple (as others have stated).

Trying to get to 10 is probably inefficient, when red followed by purple at around 5-7 points will be quite good already.

If you can use red for a match-5, and that crit stays on the board for when you play purple adjacent to it, rhis could be one of the hardest hitting abilities in the game.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way I read it you can cascade into multiple points per turn, but a single match 3 or 4 is only going to be good for 1pt.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    If the ability reads something like "gain 1 Combo Point for each red or purple tile matched", you will gain 3 Combo Points. However, it's saying gain 1 Combo Points for each red or purple match.

There's probably a good reason why Combo Points reset to zero if you're didn't a single red or purple match for that turn, instead of decreasing by it by a low number. It's highly because the increment is huge. 
  • entrailbucket
    The combo points revert to zero because he's meant to use his powers infinitely. 

It depends on the numbers but I assume he can destroy enough tiles to keep it going.  If you cast his powers very strategically, you can use them to make red and purple matches that fuel the combo and give you more AP to keep casting those powers over and over.
  • HoundofShadow
    My bet is he can destroy up to 5 chosen tiles. If we really have to push for more tiles to be destroyed, it will be a 6. Anything more than that will be pretty crazy and it will beat the current record of 6 chosen tiles available in the game. He needs a partner who can help him out with generating red or purple tiles or someone who can destroy tiles to create red or purple matches because losing those Combo Points got to be painful.

Like many had noticed, he will be horrible for players who are interested in characters the likes of Polaris, Colossus, Wanda, Okoye etc. His defense will be terrible and AI will be losing his Combo Points every 2 or 3 turns. Putting him out on defense is like putting Talos out there. He has zero ability that deals power damage, like Talos.

On the flip side, If he's as good as what I think he is, he will be a gem in challenge node. For those who are still relying on Polaris/BRB/Juggernaut or iHulk/Vulture for challenge nodes, he will be a huge upgrade for you because he can create infinite turn with the right partners; thus reducing the amount of time taken to win matches.

Let it be known I'm very biased towards abilities that destroy tiles, especially when you can choose them. So, I'm super pumped up for this character and I hope his match damage increase at 5 doesn't disappoint. Anything lower than 5000 match damage increase when you have 10 Combo Points will be disappointing. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me it's a lot more important than the team matching red or purple can win the points for him. If it was the opposite then he would bad and players would be forced to leveling as high as possible, as it always use to happen.
    I'm expecting for him to gain at least 30% match damage increase per point, and with his cheap powers possibly he can continue the streak.
    I think it is a really fun and tactical character, and of course I will be champing him like there won't be a tomorrow.
  • entrailbucket
    This guy is really sort of a Rorschach test for players.  I suspect the majority of players will think he's worthless, and for them he will indeed be worthless.  Other players will think he's one of the best.

This is the kind of character they should be making though.  Players who like strategy can play with him slowly and strategically and beat anything, but crucially, he doesn't force anyone else to play the same way when fighting him. 

It'd be like Colossus reducing match damage, but only when he's on offense (which, now that I think about it, is how that power should work.  Would anyone still use him?)
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    This character could be broken with Wanda and Colossus.

Or a great partner for Aligator Loki, seeing as you make a bunch of charged tiles. And again, pair with Wanda for the pink active to turn tups into red or purple each turn to get a higher chance of matching reds / purples.
  • Scorpion201
    Scorpion201 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Very, Very Disappointing that Shang Chi is a 5 star and not a 4. i was hoping he was a 4 to go along a new story event. That would of been nice, I'll pass on this player pvp and introduction event. not a 5 star player nor will i ever. hope the next 4 star is better, alligator loki is  :|
  • HoundofShadow
    edited August 2021
    In 4* land, Rogue could be good with him against opponents with red as their strongest colour. 3* Cyclops will be excellent as a third to get infinite going.

In 5* land, all 5* characters who have red as their strongest colour, with the exception of maybe JJ, are hardly seen anywhere in shield sim or even in pvps. This character also has red as his strongest colour.  :D Having red as your strongest colour in 5* land seems to be indicating something.

I think as of now, it will be challenging to go infinity mode in a pick 2 (including him) pvp. 

5* Hawkeye and Coulson could also potentially create infinite with him, seeing how his abilities are pretty cheap at 7 aps. Hawkeye can feed red and Coulson can reduce cd. However, it will take a while to get things started.

Some other interesting teammates I have in mind are: 4* Cyclops, Havok, 4* Prof X, Riri, IMHB and Mysterio. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    You could team him up with Carbage to increase chances of Red and Purple matches.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really a double edge sword with Disney owning Marvel. On the one hand, this game probably wouldn’t exist without the resurgence and expansion of popularity they brought. On the other hand we get people like Shang Chi released while there are AAA characters yet to see the light of day. 

I guess they are trying to spread out the better stuff for another 5 decades. 

Anyway, the power set looks interesting.