***** Shang-Chi (Origin) *****

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    5* Mandarin in Classic Costume please after the next 4* and make us Marvel comic fanatics happy :smile:

I doubt VERY VERY much Marvel is going to approve the use of the classic Mandarin costume ever again. They are trying to move away from these heavily stereotyped costumes and chars ( look at all the problems Marvel is having with Shang Chi release in China because Fu Manchu used to be Shang Chi's dad, and FuManchu is considered highly racist portrait of chinese culture in China ).

And I am going to add, I think this is a good thing, even from the quality of the villain point of view, I think The Mandarin has been a much more interesting villain in the last 15 years, now that he is not as stereotyped as he used to be. The Mandarin story from Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2007) #24-26 is his best ever!

Said that, I also want a 5 Mandarin ( in whatever costume :P )
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’d rather see Fin Fang Foom than Mandarin myself
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    Are we forgetting that 3* Gambit makes 3 red or purple charged tiles for 5 black AP to get that engine going? 

Does 4* Beast give extra AP for matching charged tiles (I guess are they special tiles?)  

• darkman84
    darkman84 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    No, Beast gives extra AP for a match of friendly special tile. Charged tile is somewhat special tile, but it is not considered to be owned by either team, so his ability won't trigger when it's matched.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,549 Chairperson of the Boards
    ThaRoadWarrior said:

If the comic book version of the Mandarin is problematic (and you can see how it is), I don't see Fin Fang Foom faring any better. He might be a well loved character with Western audiences but I imagine he is equally offensive to Chinese ones for the name alone (and the fact that his origin story is basically a "Red Scare" Cold War Anti-Chinese propaganda story).
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Warbringa said:
    Are we forgetting that 3* Gambit makes 3 red or purple charged tiles for 5 black AP to get that engine going? 

Does 4* Beast give extra AP for matching charged tiles (I guess are they special tiles?)  

So the winfinite is Shang, Riri and g3mbit?

Sounds like a fun team in the pvp event where you use a 3 4 and 5star
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    Throg or lokigator can create more charged tiles, and loki on purple plus shuffling the board for more combos, 2 things shang finds more interesting than red.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    His match damage animation and sound can be quite distracting actually.  :D

I was focused on the effect of his matches rather than on winning the match. I lost the first and won the second. Focus!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    DAZ0273 said:
    ThaRoadWarrior said:

If the comic book version of the Mandarin is problematic (and you can see how it is), I don't see Fin Fang Foom faring any better. He might be a well loved character with Western audiences but I imagine he is equally offensive to Chinese ones for the name alone (and the fact that his origin story is basically a "Red Scare" Cold War Anti-Chinese propaganda story).
    I'm sure you're right, as I've never read a comic featuring the character. 100% of what I know about him comes from this marvel universe trading card:

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,549 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    ThaRoadWarrior said:

I'm sure you're right, as I've never read a comic featuring the character. 100% of what I know about him comes from this marvel universe trading card:

They did retrospectively revise him in the 90's to elimiate some of the stereotyping but probably not enough.
    Iron Man was particularly heavy on anti-Communist Cold War villains for some reason, I guess because Tony Stark was the poster boy of Capitalism.
    Rather than a playable character I would love it if they just did a Monster Island event Boss Event with a whole bunch of Kirby Monsters! Orrgo, Mangog, FFF, It, the Living Colossus!
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,905 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Thanos: Please try him out with 50% Thor, 5* Iceman.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos said:
    A quick taste for you all. Characters that move the board are his best partners as expected. Biggest crit i've managed so far was 250k using a 5/5/3 build and help from 5Clops yellow. Will make more videos, accepting team ideas.

I'm going to love this guy so much.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor

Thor is obviously a good partner but, if the only reason you're using Iceman is for the stuns it's kinda pointless. Your main goal is to go winfinite, Iceman can get in the way of that. So far his best partners are Onslaught, 5Clops, 5Thor and 5Doom is decent for his yellow.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,905 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos said:

Thor is obviously a good partner but, if the only reason you're using Iceman is for the stuns it's kinda pointless. Your main goal is to go winfinite, Iceman can get in the way of that. So far his best partners are Onslaught, 5Clops, 5Thor and 5Doom is decent for his yellow.
    Have you tried fighting Colossus/Wanda teams? I think you will need the stun against them. I guess we will have to wait for SIM to open up, but I am curious who you think will make a good partner for pick 2 PvP.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    How about Rescue/Carbage? The thought being you get an extra turn, and you can use blue to turn the enemy attack tiles red for you?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    1/2 Thor and 5* Storm (3/5/5)
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,771 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    SW shouldn't be an issue at all.  When you go infinite you just make sure to wipe out her tile.  She can't create a new one because she won't get another turn.  Colossus will certainly slow him down, but again, you're going infinite and he's already pretty slow.

From the video he looks about like I expected (which is unexpected)!  He's a really fun character, but too slow to use for anything competitive unless you're extraordinarily skilled.

I'm not sure you want Thor because he's going to *remove* reds from the board.  Someone like Cyclops or Phoenix is much better because they add reds to the board.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    This doesn’t even look like the character Shang Chi in the comics . Are we now making 5* based on 1 movie’s denigration of a character present in Marvel for 48 years ?!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I think you only want Thor if you're also using Sighclops, that way you can turn your green into red and shuffle the board from yellow.