***** Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex) *****

Comments

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Borstock said:
    Purple feels worthless. You're just going to stun him, 1-shot him, or passive him to death, anyway.

The other stuff is troll-y.  He kind've feels like a stealth Bobby5. Could be pretty annoying.
    Yeah I think they had a great opportunity to make his passive an anti-passive.  Keep the power nearly the same but instead institute whenever a passive (instead of active) power that causes damage or generates AP fires, then his purple power occurs.  Would be a great Bishop/HammerHawkeye/Thor counter then and it would then apply to all pools, so it would be a hard 1/2 Thor counter.

He also pairs great with America Chavez but there is only 1 active power among their six combined!
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx said:
    Purple: 

Potentially interesting, as enough enemy casts will make a lot of tiles that result in a lot of AP shenanigans.  But most meta teams are laregoy passive, and won't be casting many abilities until they can drop opponents.  
    I think you are sleeping on him a little bit here. The fact that there are so many traps going off on matches is what will make him useful against the passive matchers like gritty. It’s true that you would lose a bit of the ap steal, but the opponent will be overly reliant on matches and will constantly slip up.

Regardless of all this, he will be fantastic in pve against the hoards of ’tile mover + 2 goons’ nodes in every event. Especially the kingpin/muscle/don level in webbed wonder
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Damage is inclusive of any friendly traps, so not bad.

I guess it depends on which traps trigger damage. If it's only the 3 created by blue, then less useful, otherwise could be quite a lot.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    MrEd95 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Purple: 

Potentially interesting, as enough enemy casts will make a lot of tiles that result in a lot of AP shenanigans.  But most meta teams are laregoy passive, and won't be casting many abilities until they can drop opponents.  
    I think you are sleeping on him a little bit here. The fact that there are so many traps going off on matches is what will make him useful against the passive matchers like gritty. It’s true that you would lose a bit of the ap steal, but the opponent will be overly reliant on matches and will constantly slip up.

Regardless of all this, he will be fantastic in pve against the hoards of ’tile mover + 2 goons’ nodes in every event. Especially the kingpin/muscle/don level in webbed wonder
    Why will he have so many traps going off when on defense?

Black doesn't proc until you exceed 6.5k damage. (so gritty will get there quickly, but nothing else will do that much from match damage alone).

Purple doesn't proc unless you cast abilities. 

Blue costs 8ap, and only generates 3 new traps on its own.

It seems like those three conditions are all relatively easy to avoid on offense until you can stun/drop sinister.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    marshall said:

I guess it depends on which traps trigger damage. If it's only the 3 created by blue, then less useful, otherwise could be quite a lot.
    I read it as working like 3* blade.  His blue makes 3 traps no matter what.  The strength of those 3 traps is dependent upon the number of friendly traps on the board, including the 3 new ones.
  • Warbringa
    edited January 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    marshall said:

I read it as working like 3* blade.  His blue makes 3 traps no matter what.  The strength of those 3 traps is dependent upon the number of friendly traps on the board, including the 3 new ones.
    Yeah only the blue AP created traps do the max damage, the black passive ones do damage but are static in damage and the purple passives don't do damage but steal AP.  All traps count towards his max blue trap tile damage though.  Both his blue and black power created traps should receive the Okoye damage boost though.

I really think his blue power should have created 5 tiles instead of 3 at 5 covers.  That would make him far more dangerous imo.  

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    bluewolf said:
    @IceIX

There is a typo, apparently (?) on the blue power at 5 covers.  It repeats the max dmg from 2 covers.

Thank you.
    Yep, updated. Thanks!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    That’s why I like black at 3, it procs at a lower value. I think that blue is going to be like P4nther’s protect tile thing - it’ll slap if you can get a few of them in the same match or cascade.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    IceIX said:

Original Sinister - blacktilepng PASSIVE
    (PASSIVE)(Max level - Procs on 6975 or more damage, prevent 4883 damage, tiles deal 1674 damage)
    • Level 5: Prevents up to 1736 damage if the team has 2 Black AP; drains 2 Black AP. (Max level - Prevent 6976 damage)

• MrEd95
    edited January 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    MrEd95 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Purple: 

Black doesn't proc until you exceed 6.5k damage. (so gritty will get there quickly, but nothing else will do that much from match damage alone).

It seems like those three conditions are all relatively easy to avoid on offense until you can stun/drop sinister.
    That’s my point. Gritty relies on matching for big damage. He will reduce some of it on black and create up to 3 trap tiles. If gritty gets a cascade early on, before their strikes get too strong, the board will be flooded with traps.

Depending on when the traps are procced during a cascade (fingers crossed for during, rather than after the cascade ends) you could even be doing some damage as it goes 

Im not saying he will be meta, just that he could be better than your initial assessment appears to suggest. I guess we will have to wait and see for sure. After all, people said Kitty wouldn’t be meta when she was first released, and look how that turned out
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    What color tiles will all these traps get placed on?
  • Warbringa
    edited January 2020
    MrEd95 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    MrEd95 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Purple: 

That’s my point. Gritty relies on matching for big damage. He will reduce some of it on black and create up to 3 trap tiles. If gritty gets a cascade early on, before their strikes get too strong, the board will be flooded with traps.

Depending on when the traps are procced during a cascade (fingers crossed for during, rather than after the cascade ends) you could even be doing some damage as it goes 

Im not saying he will be meta, just that he could be better than your initial assessment appears to suggest. I guess we will have to wait and see for sure. After all, people said Kitty wouldn’t be meta when she was first released, and look how that turned out
    Well his black only procs if you happen to have enough AP.  I mean if you have 6 black AP then yeah it can proc 3 times. But early in Gritty matches you may not be able to or want to prioritize black AP so I don't see him as a great gritty stumbling block.
  • Kletvar
    Kletvar Posts: 91 Match Maker
    It's been 84 years ... and it's a disaster. Even Mysterio's traps trigger way better than Sinister's. 

For a character:
              1. That's a 5*; 
              2. That's been wanted for so long in this game;
              3. That his all 3 powers are traps (in a meta where traps can be so easily overwritten by Carnage, Medusa and other special tile spammers) it would be normal for the traps to be triggered even by destroying them.

Terrible design. Terrible. Joke character. I rate him 3/10.
  • Warbringa
    edited January 2020
    What color tiles will all these traps get placed on?
    I would assume random since it isn't stated specifically?

My question is are the blue tiles damage statically set when fired or if you add more traps later do the blue traps increase in damage when matched since that is when their damage is calculated?  
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Im happy to see Sinister in the game finally
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I don't like the idea of trap tiles being double edged.  I get that it fits with the amoral character concept and mad scientist vibe, but at least make it more damaging to the enemy like Carnage's passive.  
  • Warbringa
    Vins2 said:
    I don't like the idea of trap tiles being double edged.  I get that it fits with the amoral character concept and mad scientist vibe, but at least make it more damaging to the enemy like Carnage's passive.  
    He isn't that terrible.  The enemy team always take the trap damage whether you or the AI matches the trap.  He would be the worst if his traps did damage to his own team lol!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since he's trap tile based, my guess is he will hit like a truck in half the matches and fail miserably the other half.

Solidly mid-tier.
  • MrEd95
    Warbringa said:
    MrEd95 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    MrEd95 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Purple: 

Well his black only procs if you happen to have enough AP.  I mean if you have 6 black AP then yeah it can proc 3 times. But early in Gritty matches you may not be able to or want to prioritize black AP so I don't see him as a great gritty stumbling block.
    Ah, yeah, my bad. I somehow managed to miss the black ap thing. I guess it’s a bit like iceman’s yellow then

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    On defense he'll be super annoying especially with Oki.

But currently there are better defensive options.

In a nutshell he can shine with like Oki, and Miss America ironically enough it might be better to keep him under Oki so she can tank black.

Over all since the traps are going to get overwritten by characters like beta, or Carnage or any character that buts things on the screen the chances of him being meta are low currently.

He's not a fast character and his traps are pretty conditional.