The Battle of Who Could Care Less

Comments

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    The killer Lockjaw team going right now is the Royal Family node on whatever story that is: Medusa/Lockjaw/Bolt. If you look at Lockjaw's design, he really isn't there to be a meat shield, he's there to accelerate The Silent King into doing passive damage, and to be annoying whenever Medusa's attack tiles get matched. Anything he does on blue is incidental, but probably contributes to the opponent's general sense of powerlessness in the face of that Inhuman onslought. Of course, if you have a 2/1/0 Bolt like I do, you are forced to get creative lol.

Some creative things he can do:
    Chavez/Lockjaw/Wiccan - Chavez loves AP, Wiccan is Black Bolt Jr, so you use the charged tiles as an AP factory to accrue AP till Wiccan becomes the Demiurge, then enjoy the comedy of row and line clears that ensue (assuming he tanks anything) while Chavez performs all her greatest comedy hits.

Just champed Wiccan, and he's underwhelming so far.  The problem, as you alluded to, is that he has to tank colors to be effective.  But, if you have a developed roster he doesn't tank much.  Plus he takes too long to get going.  Though, I did run him with Carnage just to see if I could get Chain Lightning to destroy all the columns, that was fun :).  I've also tried running him with Rogue, cause if you can't get any of Wiccan's Yellow tiles out, once he's Demiurge he's in for a world of hurt. 

I finally have some BB Black covers from the Loki store (but no Lokis :( ), so I might just run the Royal Family (it's from Hearts of Darkness, on the last day 5*E, where it takes place in Hell... also the fact that they normally run this with a newish 5* adds to the feeling of helplessness...)

Although I rarely have animations on, Crystal and Karnak are two of the coolest animations in the game, great artwork.  

• Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2018
    So, I think I'm going to change the title of the thread.  There were a couple of mentions about this one possibly getting closed but it seems like a pretty cool vibe in here.  I'm going to switch it to 'Pure Iso Bottleneck' in deference to The Road Warrior.  I'll leave it like this for a few hours, but change the name tonight so that we don't get closed and can continue the conversation.
  • Waddles_Pines
    edited August 2018
    I think you're fine as is, unless the mods asked you to change the title.  I think the fact that it is vague helps it.  There's been next to no malice in this thread, so don't let my jokes about Brigby/Ducky closing it worry you (unless they did in fact ask you to).  I've seen a few threads closed since joining the forums and the 2 criteria that I've seen are (1) abusive behavior, and (2) the topic becoming totally off-topic.  But, if you still choose to change the title, I vote that our new official beverage be Mr. Pibb (I actually had to google that cause i wasn't sure if i was making that up in my head  :D)

Image result for mr pibb
    Pure Iso Bottleneck, leave the last B for something that starts with "b"....
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Carnage was the easy-choice for pairing with Wiccan if you want to prioritize Chain Lightning, and to that end I moved my BH to him after getting Wiccan to 14 (I've been feeling like I needed a good Carnage for awhile now). But to me, the more interesting benefit of Wiccan is the line clears off demiurge, and all that board shake, which works great for Chavez teams since you're just stacking AP on all colors anyway.

My rationale for using Lockjaw is: If you look at the way Black Bolt creates charged tiles, it's an invitation for you to match them and accrue triple AP. It charges the most prevalent color, which, once matched, means it is probably going to charge another color, until you meet the requirements for his green to blast out the whole board. So using Lockjaw's charge tiles, I plan to accelerate my AP accrual which should help both Chavez and Wiccan. I guess I'll let you know if it works...

It's also easy to get caught up in the idea of "pairing" when these are actually teams of 3 we're making. So finding ways to cross-synergize beyond just rainbow coloration is where i like to try and find weird matchups that are fun. Weird matchups tend to not get played well by the AI, but that's okay I suppose.

• Roland113
    I think you're fine as is, unless the mods asked you to change the title.  I think the fact that it is vague helps it.  There's been next to no malice in this thread, so don't let my jokes about Brigby/Ducky closing it worry you (unless they did in fact ask you to).  I've seen a few threads closed since joining the forums and the 2 criteria that I've seen are (1) abusive behavior, and (2) the topic becoming totally off-topic.  But, if you still choose to change the title, I vote that our new official beverage be Mr. Pibb (I actually had to google that cause i wasn't sure if i was making that up in my head  :D)

Image result for mr pibb
    Pure Iso Bottleneck, leave the last B for something that starts with "b"....
    I like it, and good point, I'll wait until I'm asked to change it.

The second B surely must be Blues.

• Roland113

It's also easy to get caught up in the idea of "pairing" when these are actually teams of 3 we're making. So finding ways to cross-synergize beyond just rainbow coloration is where i like to try and find weird matchups that are fun. Weird matchups tend to not get played well by the AI, but that's okay I suppose.

I am so guilty of falling into the pairing trap.  I decided to use 4 Gamora with 4 Ant Man in pvp today (along with Valkyrie) and it really felt weird without Grocket there as well. . . . granted, I got over it and used Ant Man to keep stealing they're strike tiles which made me happy inside.

I do the same thing with W4sp and C4ge, it feels weird to use one without the other.

I think a lot of the pairing comes from laziness.  If I get a good pair going, I can plow through all of the required nodes in PVP without changing the outside two characters.  Same with PvP.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Carnage was the easy-choice for pairing with Wiccan if you want to prioritize Chain Lightning, and to that end I moved my BH to him after getting Wiccan to 14 (I've been feeling like I needed a good Carnage for awhile now). But to me, the more interesting benefit of Wiccan is the line clears off demiurge, and all that board shake, which works great for Chavez teams since you're just stacking AP on all colors anyway.

My rationale for using Lockjaw is: If you look at the way Black Bolt creates charged tiles, it's an invitation for you to match them and accrue triple AP. It charges the most prevalent color, which, once matched, means it is probably going to charge another color, until you meet the requirements for his green to blast out the whole board. So using Lockjaw's charge tiles, I plan to accelerate my AP accrual which should help both Chavez and Wiccan. I guess I'll let you know if it works...

Totally understand the rationale.  When you get around to using them, just remember supports are your friend in this team.  Chances are Wiccan is lower leveled than America/Lockjaw and Wiccan's strong colors overlap America/Lockjaw.  At least with PVE (for now), you can equip a support that'll boost his damage in a particular color.  

Totally get the whole AI not running a team well.  The only team I can think of that is AI-idiot proof is Carnage/Nico/Kraven (or Medusa instead of Nico).  Almost all the damage comes from attack tiles or passives; not much for the AI to mess up.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree about the AI. AI really likes 3* Strange though. The yellow is a no brainer of course but it WILL stun you with his blue and seems to priotise doing so over other blue users and usually uses the purple effectively also.
  • DAZ0273
    edited September 2018
    So ThaRoadWarrior Kraven was boosted in this event and I just want to say thank you MPQ for the easy wins in Made Up Name! Please boost Kraven every event! 😂
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    So hype for boosted Kraven lol. I took a boosted Nightcrawler bamfinite against a boosted mockingbird in there; I must have triggered Opportunist 10-15 times before she dropped. Would have been a disaster if she hadn’t finally dropped
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I climbed with Okoye Mockingbird in IW Spidey, unpredictable but hilarious.

Enemy cascades = multiple powers firing with Okoye boost, super-funny.
  • Roland113
    So, we had a pretty good discussion going on for a couple of days in here, there were a good bunch of people commenting.  If any of you are interested in my new thread, come on over to the Character Discussion thread:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/74962/new-ranking-project-discussion-stage-initial-post-updated/p1?new=1

I want to do a big ranking thing since the last batch of rankers seems to have retired.  I'm in the early stages of discussion, but would welcome any input.

Hope to see you there.
  • DAZ0273
    Cool - I'll have a look and see if I have anything worthwhile to contribute (probably not!)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Sorry to necro this, but I finally champed Ghost Rider (had 9 saved). Once Simulator starts, i look forward to trying out some hilarious teams with him.
  • DAZ0273
    In a weird twist of fate my Elektra ended up getting a lot more covers than Ghosty so I find myself actually using her more often...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2018
    I'm also approaching Iso-Only-Bottleneck status for real now - I just need one more EB Venom, and then I'll have every non-NEW! character above 10 covers for shield training

*Edit* looks like Domino is in tokens, so she needs 5 more covers
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Well fam, our day has come with this Ghost Rider PVP featuring boosted Elektr4. Hope we all got these characters champed after all that.
  • Roland113
    Wow, I forgot all about this thread.  I think this was back before 'Saved Covers' was even a thing.  I read back through part of the thread and yeah, so many of the things that were brought up aren't an issue anymore, thanks again Saved Covers.

That being said, I've since champed both of them and I'm actually kind of starting to like Elektra.  I use her a lot when Kacellius is in play and she's really effective in Venom Bomb as well.

Ghost Rider, he is a one hit wonder and frankly, C4rol has a way better, less variable and cheaper black.
  • DAZ0273
    My Ghost Rider is revving up for this one in the hope of not being mostly useless like he is the rest of the year. Like Roland my appreciation for Elektra has definitely increased and I'm also using her in Venom Bomb.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    For my part, I have Ghost 4ider at 292, and Elektr4 at 289. I use Elektra on Kaecilius with Patch and Kraven, but not too many other times. And since I champed Ghost Rider: Robbie Reyes since this thread, this may be the first time I’ve even used Johnny Blaze in anger. But I’ll tell you the 4* Black hits so hard vs 5*s! I’m running 5torm/Bl4ze/GE Doom for maximum black acquisition, and just nuking whoever is in the way in turn 3. Not strong defensively but it’s pretty good offensively.