*** Spider-Man (Classic) ***

Comments

• IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spidermans spider sense most definitely should be able to avoid traps. Or, instead of how it is now, where you can't see the enemy traps, they could make it so that if you have Spidey on your team, you can see them. After all, that's kind of the whole point of his spider sense, isn't it? To see dangers that others can't before it's too late? D3 did say that they like to keep a character's powers close to their actual character in the comics. Seeing traps would be a perfect addition to his purple ability.

They could change the ability to something like this:...
    If you make a purple match, Spiderman places a protect tile on the board. Tile Strength based on number of web tiles on the board. If there are any enemy traps on the board when you make a purple match, instead of creating a protect tile, Spiderman webs up the trap tile, disabling it.

This would most definitely make Spidey more useful and more fun to play. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • they could make it so that if you have Spidey on your team, you can see them.

defienietly, should work like that. I dont use spidey much, but it does make sense.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Spiderman's weakness is the web tile mechanic, because all 3 of his abilties are tied into it and he needs to cast unboosted skills to get them boosted, he's flawed.
    Agree with this. But why not just buff his purple passive a little, like this:

Spider-Sense - Purple PASSIVE
    Spider-Man's senses tingle and he moves to protect his team. If there aren't any friendly Purple Protect tiles, he creates one when his team matches Purple tiles. New Protect tile Strength is based on the number of Web tiles in play. If there are more Purple Protect tiles than Web tiles, a basic blue tile is converted to a Web tile when Spider-Man is hit.
      Level 2: Creates up to 3 Purple Protect tiles. Level 3: Increases base Protect Strength by 25% Level 4: Creates up to 4 Purple Protect tiles. Level 5: Increases base Protect Strength by 25%
    Max Level 141 5/5: 104/133/163/193 Protect tiles depending on Web tiles on board.
  • Kolence
    Here's my try at improving Spider-Man. All the numbers are just guesstimates.

On yellow, getting rid of fake healing and giving him an attack power instead. Plus a passive boost to web tiles production, making all his powers a little better. But it requires that Spidey is hit, so you need to let the enemy make a move. Unless they put some attack tiles. ( *cough* Doc Ock icon_e_wink.gif )

On purple, giving him a second passive effect - a true spider sense. On offense, us players can use it cleverly which should make it a fun power (and in overscaled PvE, Spidey could make a triumphant return icon_lol.gif ), where on defense, it can make him a PITA to KO (as it should be, it's Spidey - he never gives up icon_e_biggrin.gif ) protecting him from a nuke or two.

With a slight buff from yellow, blue really needs no additional improvement. It still requires level 5 if you wish Spidey to be able to stun more than occasionally, so you can't have max protect tiles, max stun and the cheapest attack all together. icon_razz.gif
      Does Whatever a Spider Can - Yellow 10 yellowtile.png
      Spider-Man uses webbings to hurl himself into the enemy, hitting his target for 60 damage and consuming a Web tile. Costs 1 less AP for each Web tile in play. (min. 9 AP) PASSIVE: If there are more Purple Protect tiles than Web tiles, add a blue Web tile when Spider-Man is hit.
        Level 2: Does 133 damage. Minimum cost 8 AP. Level 3: Does 206 damage. Minimum cost 7 AP. Level 4: Does 303 damage. Minimum cost 6 AP. Level 5: Does 425 damage. Minimum cost 5 AP.
      At Max level does ~2500 base damage.
        All Tied Up - Blue 5 bluetile.png
        Spider-Man slings webs, stunning the enemy for 1 turn. He then adds a Yellow Web tile to the board.
          Level 2: +1 turn of stun if 3 Web tiles exist Level 3: +1 turn of stun if 2 Web tiles exist Level 4: +1 turn of stun if 1 Web tile exists Level 5: +1 or +2 turns of stun when 1 or 2 Web tiles exist.
          Spider-Sense - Purple PASSIVE
          Spider-Man's senses tingle and he moves to protect his team. If there aren't any friendly Purple Protect tiles, he creates one when his team matches Purple tiles. New Protect tile Strength is based on the number of Web tiles in play. When 3 or more Web tiles are in play, Spider-Man dodges any attack that would've downed him, taking no damage and consuming 3 Web tiles while avoiding it.
            Level 2: Creates up to 2 Purple Protect tiles. Level 3: Increases base Protect Strength by 25% Level 4: Creates up to 3 Purple Protect tiles. Level 5: Increases base Protect Strength by 25%
          At Max level 104/133/163/193 Protect tiles depending on Web tiles on board.
        • Poor spider. I used to use him for early protect tiles I could boost with falcon. Now I get a free protect tile and a great way to use the yellow with Cage
        • hurcules
          hurcules Posts: 519
          Well...he fake heals, stuns and squirts protect tiles, so...good for Survival Modes? </scraping bottom of barrel>
        • Quebbster
          Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
          hurcules wrote:
          Well...he fake heals, stuns and squirts protect tiles, so...good for Survival Modes? </scraping bottom of barrel>
          He's excellent in Survival mode. My default team for survival mode was Spider-man, Falcon and Punisher. Survival mode was a breeze with those guys.
        • mouser
          mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
          I'm kinda liking Spiderman with 4 blue and 4 yellow. I find I don't stun with him often enough that the 5th blue makes much difference, and have been using Spidey mainly in survival nodes with a squad of Spidey/Daken/Falcon. His healing there is useful at times if the AI gets gets a strong enough nuke off that gets through your boosted protection tiles. Spidey's especially nice against The Hand goons that drop early attack tiles when they die--can get protection tiles ramped up far quicker then relying on Falcon purple.
        • Quebbster wrote:
          hurcules wrote:
          He's excellent in Survival mode. My default team for survival mode was Spider-man, Falcon and Punisher. Survival mode was a breeze with those guys.

Now replace Spiderman with Luke Cage and you see Spidermans irrelevance really hit an all time high.
        • simonsez
          simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
          Lerysh wrote:
          Now replace Spiderman with Luke Cage and you see Spidermans irrelevance really hit an all time high.
          I'm not sure about that. On the survival nodes with ninjas spamming attack tiles, you really want more than just the one protect tile Cage offers.
        • What hurts Spider the most is lack of any offensive ability, I don't understand why he's pure support and (poor) healer in this game, while in comics Peter is mostly street brawler like DD or Cage.
        • Still dreaming about an update that removes the incomprehensible and - since true healing - useless Web Bandages for something offensive and more in line with the Spidey you see in the comics who can go toe-to-toe with the big guys and who refuses to back down in a fight.

Totally agree! He needs something similar to Luke Cage's punch combo. I understand that Spider-Man has a healing factor but his defense is so strong that it can arguably be accounted for wrapped up in his purple ability. (Soaking damage can be the same as healing from it) Spidey sticks you in place and punches or kicks your head off. He used to be in the top 10 physically strongest characters in marvel but he only deals "match" damage? How about this...

yellowflag.png (10 ap) Sarcastic Beating

Spider-Man distracts his enemy with a wise crack about his stupid face, angering them and creating an opening he takes advantage of. Spider-Man quickly closes using punches, kicks, flips, dodges, makes another' wise crack about the jail time he sees in his enemies future and punches one last time.

Level 1: Spider-Man destroys 1 selected tile of each color corresponding to the "power" color pool of the selected enemy dealing 300 damage, accumulating AP and dealing tile damage.

Level 2: two tiles, 600 damage ....... And so forth...... Or somethig
        • simonsez
          raziel777 wrote:
          I don't understand why he's pure support and (poor) healer in this game, while in comics Peter is mostly street brawler like DD or Cage.
          I would say it's because they reworked him way back before they got better at it.
        • Quebbster
          Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
          simonsez wrote:
          Lerysh wrote:
          I'm not sure about that. On the survival nodes with ninjas spamming attack tiles, you really want more than just the one protect tile Cage offers.
          It's quite nice in Enemy of the State when Wolverine/Gorgon enters the fight against Spider-man and I check to see how much blue I have collected against the ninjas. I have usually managed at least 15-20, but even 10 (or 7 with an available blue match) is more than enough to keep them out of action long enough to be neutralized with little difficulty.
          Web bandages can be quite nice too just to make sure you don't take too much extra damage.
        • Are the stats for Web Bandages up to date? I have a cover sitting in storage that says level 1 heals for 329, plus another 345 with web tiles, and that level 2 will increase health burst to 461. These numbers are much higher than what is listed in the first post here.
        • Kolence
          Probably not since purple skill also says it creates 3 protect tiles at max when it actually creates 4.
        • I just realized how fitting is the new (variant) cover for Spider-man. Sitting will all the unimportant people watching the news on his smart phone. It probably shows some heroes with real powers fighting crime and, possibly, aliens. Poor Spidey.
        • Marc_Spector
          Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
          HA!!! -- very fitting. "I think I'll just sit this one out."
        • So, realizing there are dissenting opinions, I'm getting the impression that am I relatively safe letting go of 3* Spidey? I could really use another slot, and I've actually almost always chosen 2* characters over my half-finished 3* Spidey, sooo...

TIA!

DBC
        • simonsez
          So, realizing there are dissenting opinions, I'm getting the impression that am I relatively safe letting go of 3* Spidey?
          Well, on the one hand, most people here are so anal retentive that they have slots for every character, so it'd be hard to say "yes"; on the other hand, the game no longer gives you much reason to progress, so there's no harm in just staying in 2* land until you find a better game to play.