Human Torch (Johnny Storm) - 2*

Comments

• dragonsroc wrote:
    Does anyone think they actually have limitations on the characters they can use from marvel. It would explain the sudden surge of lazy characters.

I don't mind torch too much. Everyone mentions they would like a break from needing to do every event: here is your break. Everyone will get this torch eventually through pvp wins and recruit tokens if he has similar percentages to other 2 stars

My guess is that Marvel realized how terrible these devs are and the direction this game is going, so they cut them off and ended the contract. So D3 doesn't have the authority to use any new characters. She-Hulk was the last new character they were allowed to make. That's why they made all these changes to try and get as much money out of people as they can before people realize that the game is going nowhere anymore.

It's crazy the 2 Marvel games I play are so drastically different. This one makes terrible design choices with bad communication and player input seems to be completely ignored. Characters are constantly rehashed and just bad feelings all around. Marvel Heroes on the other had has terrific devs that are in constant communication and actually listens to player input. They always put players first and if they screw up, they admit it and compensate. A new character every month, a huge roster with a couple of obscure characters. They can't release new characters quickly enough, so to get in other more obscure characters, they create team-up "pets" of those characters to give them representation.

After seeing PvP, PvE, and now this No Holds Barred event all ending at the same time, I realize that D3 or whoever's in charge just doesn't give a rat's **** about us. It's really not difficult to look at the current events running, and stagger the endings. Instead events are on a pre-scheduled time (PvP events always have the same end times. PvE always starts 24 hours after the last one ends) and they won't budge from that, even if it means we get 4 events ending at the exact same time. They just don't care. And you know what? I don't care anymore either. I'm done with this game.

I play MH too, and you're right. The difference is night and day. When MH wants us to play more characters, they review each character individually, taking in tons of player feedback, to make sure they're fun and powerful, as well as adding synergy bonuses for every near-max level character on your roster, so that leveling one character makes all the others stronger. When MPQ wants us to play more characters, they neuter healing to make sure you can't play the same one for more than 2 straight rounds. In both cases, the developers increase revenue through character sales, but one feels like a huge improvement to the overall game, the other feels like a cash grab.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    After true healing, what 2*s needed was more characters to allow for larger rosters. Although I dislike lazy characters, I think Human Torch is a nice fit as a red/black/green character and generally well balanced too. Maybe d3 was busy with other changes, but didn't want to leave 2*s hanging? Whatever the reason for a lazy character, it is better than none.

The lasting appeal to the game is having access diverse teams/abilties. While 3*s have already test driven Human Torch, now 2*s can have fun with him. icon_e_wink.gif

I mentioned this over in another thread, but the addition of Torch to the 2** roster gives 2** teams the ability to play with attack tiles, which was completely missing from the 2** game. Outside of 1* Storm's Hailstorm, a developing player can't use attack tiles until they have black covers for either Psylocke, Punisher, Doom, or Mohawk Storm. As attack tiles are one of the fundamental ways to inflict damage in the game, their longtime omission from the 2** game was rather glaring.

2** Daken + 2** Torch stacking attack + strike tiles could be rather powerful (at least for the 2** game). In the 3*** game, if a player is in a situation where they are facing stackable attack and strike tiles against them, they are pretty much toast.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    After true healing, what 2*s needed was more characters to allow for larger rosters. Although I dislike lazy characters, I think Human Torch is a nice fit as a red/black/green character and generally well balanced too. Maybe d3 was busy with other changes, but didn't want to leave 2*s hanging? Whatever the reason for a lazy character, it is better than none.

The lasting appeal to the game is having access diverse teams/abilties. While 3*s have already test driven Human Torch, now 2*s can have fun with him. icon_e_wink.gif
    They have left 2*s hanging since Ares was released six months ago. I wonder what made them decide to release one now. Maybe since it was the long weekend they wanted to release a lazy char no one would care about, so if the PvE ran into issues less people would complain and send in tickets. Stealth nerfing 2* reward drop percentages from battles seems like the logical next step
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you looking at the brackets for the subs or the main event? My main event bracket is all 166's up top and I'm a 2* player.
    That was my main bracket. But clearly there is some variance.
  • dragonsroc wrote:
    My guess is that Marvel realized how terrible these devs are and the direction this game is going, so they cut them off and ended the contract. So D3 doesn't have the authority to use any new characters. She-Hulk was the last new character they were allowed to make. That's why they made all these changes to try and get as much money out of people as they can before people realize that the game is going nowhere anymore.

This isn't correct, assuming the lead designer is telling the truth. He posted in the Gender Bias thread, claiming that they have some new female characters in the works that should hopefully help even out the imbalance (I hope they didn't mean lazy human torch as one of them). icon_lol.gif
  • This isn't correct, assuming the lead designer is telling the truth. He posted in the Gender Bias thread, claiming that they have some new female characters in the works that should hopefully help even out the imbalance (I hope they didn't mean lazy human torch as one of them). icon_lol.gif
    Fingers crossed and hoping for Rogue. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I don't mind them adding 2* characters to provide a bit more variety for people in 2* land, even a "lazy" 2*- those of us with 3* rosters aren't going to use it anyway- but two things:

1. They'd better not make Lazy Torch a required for the next PvE. Expecting people to buy a roster slot for a weaker version of one of their existing heroes is incredibly lame. I won't do it, and if it means falling behind on the PvE event then so be it. Kitty THAT. Not spending one ISO or one HP on a weaker version of HT.

2. If you're going to do a "lazy" 2* to give more variety to 2* teams, why pick another character with green and red seeing as the strongest 2* characters aside from OBW are Thor, Ares and Wolvie? Why not Lazy Falcon or something like that?
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Are you looking at the brackets for the subs or the main event? My main event bracket is all 166's up top and I'm a 2* player.
    That was my main bracket. But clearly there is some variance.

Each of those brackets can look different in a 5 minute period. Between two matches, I came back and saw a totally new group on top.

It really doesn't mean much till the last 5 minutes.
  • djsquillz wrote:
    will anyone with a developed 3* roster even use 2* matchstick except when he is required? i know for certain that i will not. even if i have him cover maxxed...i cant see a scenario that would justify wasting ISO on this coward.

marc
    Don't worry, he'll be required plenty times. After all devs know better than you how you must have fun.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    gobstopper wrote:
    They have left 2*s hanging since Ares was released six months ago. I wonder what made them decide to release one now.

True Healing and complaints that 2* rosters needed to be larger? But if that were true, that would mean devs do listen. No way! Tin foil hats back on guys! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    gobstopper wrote:
    They have left 2*s hanging since Ares was released six months ago. I wonder what made them decide to release one now.

True Healing and complaints that 2* rosters needed to be larger? But if that were true, that would mean devs do listen. No way! Tin foil hats back on guys! icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I still don't follow how true healing helps 2* people
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Spoit wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    gobstopper wrote:

Whether it was good or not is personal opinion. Everyone's view will be subjective because they changed the play style of the game itself to become more casual. Will it force roster diversity for 2* as it will for 3*? Only if they continue to roll out 2*s like they did here.

I hope they buff non-competitive 2*s like bag-man and Moonstone soon. It would also bolster diversity and 2*s wouldn't pull unusable covers which wastes their valuable tokens.
  • I've taken to calling the 3* version HT and the 2* version HC (human candle). Still dislike any form of lazy character. Also 2× shouldn't get a whole pve for their release. They should get like a 1* tourney they get released in and save the long ove for the new 3*'s
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    2* Human Torch says: LAME ON!
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

I mentioned this over in another thread, but the addition of Torch to the 2** roster gives 2** teams the ability to play with attack tiles, which was completely missing from the 2** game. Outside of 1* Storm's Hailstorm, a developing player can't use attack tiles until they have black covers for either Psylocke, Punisher, Doom, or Mohawk Storm. As attack tiles are one of the fundamental ways to inflict damage in the game, their longtime omission from the 2** game was rather glaring.

2** Daken + 2** Torch stacking attack + strike tiles could be rather powerful (at least for the 2** game). In the 3*** game, if a player is in a situation where they are facing stackable attack and strike tiles against them, they are pretty much toast.

The idea behind it might be solid, but there isn't really such a thing as a "2* player." Anyone relying on their 2* characters has a smattering of 3* characters they're trying to level up, and I can't see very many people ignoring 3s for the sake of leveling Lame On Human Torch when they've already got Thor, Ares and Wolverine using red and green.

A 2* character with attack tiles may be a very welcome addition, but Kitty Pryde could have phased them on to black tiles, or Emma Frost could've lit up some blue ones.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    gobstopper wrote:

Whether it was good or not is personal opinion. Everyone's view will be subjective because they changed the play style of the game itself to become more casual. Will it force roster diversity for 2* as it will for 3*? Only if they continue to roll out 2*s like they did here.

I hope they buff non-competitive 2*s like bag-man and Moonstone soon. It would also bolster diversity and 2*s wouldn't pull unusable covers which wastes their valuable tokens.
    Diversity would be nice for them, but making them split their ISO like that makes the 3* transition, which was already pretty bad, that much harder
  • ZeiramMR wrote:
    In my bracket, 6 of the top 10 have 2-star rosters (some with low level/cover 3-stars that might be transitioning, but firmly still in the 2-star camp). People who could use this new Human Torch are very capable of winning him.

Guess will be more so as we reach 42k and many 3* people bail out with Sentry cover in pockets.
  • gamar wrote:
    Once again, because of rubberbanding any snapshot taken during an event at any time but the last half hour tells you exactly jack and squat about how well people are placing, and snapshots taken in the first 3/4 of the event before scaling has really ramped up tell you even less

This time scaling seems reset for every sub (as it should have been from the very start), so close to end of subs ( including shortly after) standings are meaningful.

Also in my bracket there was barely any movement in last 1.5h, and maybe 1 place worth in last 35m that is quite unprecedented.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a decent roster, and I can tell you, this is a character that was sorely needed for 2* players. As a 2* you have OBW, Ares, Thor as you're only solidly playable characters. Then a drop off, then you have C.Storm, Wolverine, then another drop off and then you have Captain America, M.Magneto, Daken (Daken is better than Wolvierine, but just doesnt have the hitpoints, or actives, thus dropping him)

With Human Torch those 2*'s now have a little more variety as they can basically still require OBW, but can rotate a Human Torch, Ares, Thor lineup. IMO Human Torch replaces Thor and gives this deck a useable black and red and with OBW, Torch, Ares you have a rainbow of actives
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Unless this char is immediately added to Heroic token pool, and PVP rewards lists I don't see how it will beneficial to 2*s. It would still otherwise be cover deficient. Flame-Jet costs 5AP which Ares' Onslaught does as well. AP for AP Ares will always be the better character. I just don't see how Johnny Storm can be useful other than on essential nodes.