Human Torch (Johnny Storm) - 2*

Comments

• wade66
    wade66 Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
    Torchic.

Since the only top players that will have him are the one who have to catch tbem all.
  • Spoit wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    I'm all for one or two new 2* chars. But even a lazy 2* character still needs its numbers tweaked so it fits in with the power level of other 2* chars. D3 had a few options here that don't take the time of a "full new character":

1) Make Moonstone or Bullseye actually playable
    2) Make a 2* Falcon, or BP, or PSylocke
    3) Make a R/G 2* who won't ever be used because he's outclassed by Thor and Ares

What's annoying people is: "Lazy characters are less effort" doesn't justify why they chose option 3!
    A 2* falcon would be interesting. Might make bullseye and not-laken actually viable...ish

Would rather see 2* Daken be Lazy 2* Lazy Daken. And Bullseye get a third skill and his Black cost slashed down, like a lot. I mean Bullseye has a similar Purple ability and it costs only 8. Now I get it, Bulleye can place multiples and can deal a ton of damage with it. But maybe make it clear the row and then place the tile? Would add more flavor to a guy who can make anything into a lethal projectile.
  • I would rather them release no one, that to give us a lazy torch
  • pmorcs
    pmorcs Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    I personally think "Torchling" is by far the best suggestion yet. I did grin a bit at "Johnny Shortbus" but I don't see that sticking.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is why i think they should have had the 3* human torch for the topprize and the 2* one as the lower prize.

I would have been perfectly happy with this solution, though as a weird twist it would be funny if they kept Baby Torch as the top rewards, but replaced the Blue Cap cover at rank 150 - 500 with a 3* Torch cover! How funny would it be if people were fighting to try to stay low icon_lol.gif

While I'm too far into my 3*'s and don't have the HP for more roster slots right now (trying to extend my alliance), I thought the 2*'s needed another Black ability. Besides Baby Torch; Bullseye & Moonstone are the only other 2 with an active Black, and OBW & Daken have passive Black.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't call him anything.
    He's dead to me.
    16atkoz.jpg
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    0006.png

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If you're in 3 star land you're not going to use 2* torch or any other new 2*. Hell, you don't even use 3* torch if your roster is legit. If you're in 2* land he'll be good. What's the problem?

If Chris Evans can be human torch AND captain america, then 2* ht can be 3* ht.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Human Match?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    This wasn't exactly what I meant when I said they should try to balance character gender ratios better... icon_lol.gif

On a more serious note, if they want to keep introducing all these lazy versions of characters, they really ought to change required nodes to requiring distinct characters rather than requiring a specific version of a character. Granted the extent of my playing since TH went live was about 30 min yesterday, but nothing's more annoying than seeing a Cap node in PvE that you end up skipping because it requires the useless 2* version and won't let you use lazy cap.

Actually, since I've shifted to playing a lot more casually (if at all), maybe this is a good time for me to delete all my useless 2* versions of stronger 3* heroes to make roster space.

That's such a pet-peeve of mine. Lazy versions are the same character, no extra work went in to their development, so don't put it on us to put extra work in to collecting both.
    Especially when last sim, they let people use Mn mags instead of Cmags. Which is a whole different character altogether!
  • I don't see what all the fuss is about. If you're in 3 star land you're not going to use 2* torch or any other new 2*. Hell, you don't even use 3* torch if your roster is legit. If you're in 2* land he'll be good. What's the problem?

The problem is this: Look at the Essential Nodes in this event, specifically the required characters. Now look at the levels and lineups (ie the difficulty) of the non-Essential Nodes. The people that could use Lil' Torch don't stand a chance at getting Lil' Torch unless their alliance drags them along.

There is a special kind of evil that releases a "new" 2* character and makes a 3* roster required to get him.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my bracket, 6 of the top 10 have 2-star rosters (some with low level/cover 3-stars that might be transitioning, but firmly still in the 2-star camp). People who could use this new Human Torch are very capable of winning him.
  • Are you looking at the brackets for the subs or the main event? My main event bracket is all 166's up top and I'm a 2* player.
  • Correct me if Im wrong but the cover description says 1961, Im pretty sure that's wrong ye?
  • I'm currently in the top 10 of my main simulator bracket and I'm the only one in the top 10 with a level 166 character icon_rolleyes.gif
    4 of the top 10 do not even have a maxed 2*, and the rest are in the 2* or 2-3* transition stage.
    I guess I found some people who could use the "new" Torch and are likely going to win him.
  • Once again, because of rubberbanding any snapshot taken during an event at any time but the last half hour tells you exactly jack and squat about how well people are placing, and snapshots taken in the first 3/4 of the event before scaling has really ramped up tell you even less
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    gamar wrote:
    Once again, because of rubberbanding any snapshot taken during an event at any time but the last half hour tells you exactly jack and squat about how well people are placing, and snapshots taken in the first 3/4 of the event before scaling has really ramped up tell you even less

As usual, you can't count on rubberbanding. That last pair of Heroic PvE's had so little rubberbanding that I couldn't even move out of the top 200. Granted I was handicapped in the last one since I didn't have a She-Hulk yet, but I still had 2* covers in my progression rewards that were out of my reach.

I'm figuring most 3* players are going for those progression rewards, and when (if) they reach them, they are going to abandon this event as the HP isn't going to be worth the effort that could be placed in PvP.
  • Does anyone think they actually have limitations on the characters they can use from marvel. It would explain the sudden surge of lazy characters.

I don't mind torch too much. Everyone mentions they would like a break from needing to do every event: here is your break. Everyone will get this torch eventually through pvp wins and recruit tokens if he has similar percentages to other 2 stars
  • Does anyone think they actually have limitations on the characters they can use from marvel. It would explain the sudden surge of lazy characters.

I don't mind torch too much. Everyone mentions they would like a break from needing to do every event: here is your break. Everyone will get this torch eventually through pvp wins and recruit tokens if he has similar percentages to other 2 stars

Marvel has a lot of input and everything has to be approved by them before it can go live, but that has nothing to do with the lazy characters. I'm sure the guys at Marvel would be alright with MPQ using Cyclops.

If it's anything like Marvel Heroes, MPQ is getting advance knowledge of new books, plot threads and events directly from Marvel so they can plan character releases around that. MPQ just chooses not to.

My guess is that Marvel realized how terrible these devs are and the direction this game is going, so they cut them off and ended the contract. So D3 doesn't have the authority to use any new characters. She-Hulk was the last new character they were allowed to make. That's why they made all these changes to try and get as much money out of people as they can before people realize that the game is going nowhere anymore.

It's crazy the 2 Marvel games I play are so drastically different. This one makes terrible design choices with bad communication and player input seems to be completely ignored. Characters are constantly rehashed and just bad feelings all around. Marvel Heroes on the other had has terrific devs that are in constant communication and actually listens to player input. They always put players first and if they screw up, they admit it and compensate. A new character every month, a huge roster with a couple of obscure characters. They can't release new characters quickly enough, so to get in other more obscure characters, they create team-up "pets" of those characters to give them representation.

After seeing PvP, PvE, and now this No Holds Barred event all ending at the same time, I realize that D3 or whoever's in charge just doesn't give a rat's **** about us. It's really not difficult to look at the current events running, and stagger the endings. Instead events are on a pre-scheduled time (PvP events always have the same end times. PvE always starts 24 hours after the last one ends) and they won't budge from that, even if it means we get 4 events ending at the exact same time. They just don't care. And you know what? I don't care anymore either. I'm done with this game.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    After true healing, what 2*s needed was more characters to allow for larger rosters. Although I dislike lazy characters, I think Human Torch is a nice fit as a red/black/green character and generally well balanced too. Maybe d3 was busy with other changes, but didn't want to leave 2*s hanging? Whatever the reason for a lazy character, it is better than none.

The lasting appeal to the game is having access diverse teams/abilties. While 3*s have already test driven Human Torch, now 2*s can have fun with him. icon_e_wink.gif