** Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) ** [PRE 2014-01]

Comments

• Spondars wrote:
    Which build is perfect build for wolverine ?
    5/x/x. Arguments can be made for 5/5/3, 5/4/4, and 5/3/5. 5/3/5 is most popular, but I'm running 5/5/3 myself. Damage:AP ratio isn't too bad for his Adamantium slash @ lvl5. 5/3/5 is good when paired with Rags. Personally, I prefer having team composition flexibility.
  • I'm also running 5/5/3.

The passive, it doesn't actually heal you any more at 5 than 3, it just means you don't have to manage the board. If you feel like you can manage the board to have 8 yellow most of the time, which is not hard, then you're getting nothing from the extra points in the passive. You're also not getting much from buffing the red skill, since thor is a better conduit for it, but sometimes thor is dead or stunned or whatever and then it becomes viable.
  • Spondars wrote:
    Which build is perfect build for wolverine ?
    5/x/x. Arguments can be made for 5/5/3, 5/4/4, and 5/3/5. 5/3/5 is most popular, but I'm running 5/5/3 myself. Damage:AP ratio isn't too bad for his Adamantium slash @ lvl5. 5/3/5 is good when paired with Rags. Personally, I prefer having team composition flexibility.

I'm actually not sure if 5/4/4 would be worth it... seems like a waste not to just go 5/3/5 if you're already going 4 into yellow XD
  • I'm also running 5/5/3.

The passive, it doesn't actually heal you any more at 5 than 3, it just means you don't have to manage the board. If you feel like you can manage the board to have 8 yellow most of the time, which is not hard, then you're getting nothing from the extra points in the passive. You're also not getting much from buffing the red skill, since thor is a better conduit for it, but sometimes thor is dead or stunned or whatever and then it becomes viable.

That presumes you're not collecting yellow for some other character, like Thor or IM40. Yellow is the least used color, however. Just something to be aware of.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    I'm also running 5/5/3.

That presumes you're not collecting yellow for some other character, like Thor or IM40. Yellow is the least used color, however. Just something to be aware of.

This is a good point. However what I've noticed with my wolverine is that it used to be he would tank more, because my other guys were **** and he took precedence so the regen helped a lot. Now though I'm finding it hard to really get him in the game because the only color he is superior at compared to the bread and butter heros is green. So when I do use him it's less about his regen and more about just swapping him in to take a couple for the team, and then I go sit in one of the pve missions with him for 10 turns while he regens.

I guess what I'm saying is while I really really liked how tanky he felt to begin with, this feeling went away to the point where it's almost as if his only purpose is to make attack tiles. As far as making a team durable, spiderman and probably the 2* black widow are better options, but I get wolverine/daken are a lot more accessible.
  • Wolverine is excellent if you're farming ISO or trying to do rounds quickly -- because he can tank and his downtime between rounds is zero -- I can go into a match with him at half health with a reasonable expectation that he'll be at full health (and thus able to tank Thor) before any powers start activating. And yes, he's my front line tank in these situations -- Wolverine, C Storm, and throwaway. Swap the throwaway or Wolverine in when a power is going to go off for C Storm to activate. Powers up his claws and you get to find a new opponent.

Combined with Ragnarok is an even more deadly combo.

He's not so great on defense, but really, who is? The only kind of defense in this game is huge HP; he doesn't have that. But you do have to pretty much one shot him or else he can be annoying to kill.
  • I haven't read through all the posts, but a friend of mine noticed Wolverine and Daken recover health faster outside of matches faster he said they have a 1 health per 2.8s, has anyone noticed this or is he crazy icon_question.gif
  • I haven't read through all the posts, but a friend of mine noticed Wolverine and Daken recover health faster outside of matches faster he said they have a 1 health per 2.8s, has anyone noticed this or is he crazy icon_question.gif

Yes, all the Wolverine varients recover more quickly.
  • So if I currently have a 2/4/0 lvl 31 Wolverine, but I know I will be getting some covers in the prologue, I should start a new one? I hate to lose 6 covers, but it sounds like 5/3/5 is the way to go. I have 2 greens waiting, and I know I will get a red and yellow from the prologue that I don't have yet.

Cad
  • cadamus wrote:
    So if I currently have a 2/4/0 lvl 31 Wolverine, but I know I will be getting some covers in the prologue, I should start a new one? I hate to lose 6 covers, but it sounds like 5/3/5 is the way to go. I have 2 greens waiting, and I know I will get a red and yellow from the prologue that I don't have yet.

Cad

You will live without 5 points in yellow. Going 5/4/4 or even 5/5/3 are fine. 95% of the time @ lvl 4 yellow it will still be going off. I would not start a new one imo. Green @ 5 is the most important thing anyway. It's not hard to keep him out of the front lines on offense and on defense ppl usually save an attack to one shot him without even looking at his skill set. You could even make an argument that, when left to soloing, he is better off with the 1 extra point in red vs the yellow. I am making a 5/3/5, but I would just keep going with a 5/4/4 build in mind.
  • 95% of the time @ lvl 4 yellow it will still be going off.

Just small correction, lvl 4 yellow always triggers. The number of yellow tiles on board will only affect how much you will be healed.
  • 5/5/3 is fine. The only team I can think of where 5/3/5 is strictly better is maybe IM40+Wolvie because you're always matching yellow for Recharge and red AP goes to Unibeam. Thor uses red and yellow, but his Mjolnir creates yellow tiles and Wolvie's Slash @ lvl5 has slightly better damage/cost as a backup/finishing move.
  • Shikao wrote:
    95% of the time @ lvl 4 yellow it will still be going off.

Just small correction, lvl 4 yellow always triggers. The number of yellow tiles on board will only affect how much you will be healed.

Didn't even notice..their wording (min is lvl 3 yellow) for skill 4 is odd as it says 20 health if fewer than 8 yellow. Didn't even think to read it carefully, but that means it must heal "normally" with more than 8. Thanks for the correction. Makes 5/4/4 even better than I thought.
  • I mistakenly went 4/4/5 Wolverine, does this make him useless??

To me it doesnt seem so, I mean 5 yellow makes him the tankiest he can be and that allows him to farm up greens and reds. And a 4 cost green ability is still low cost!

Does anyone run him 4/4/5 and still happy with him?
  • There's a big difference from 5 green wolv and 4 green wolv.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    There's a big difference from 5 green wolv and 4 green wolv.

Huge difference. It's the same type of diff between 6 ap red Thor and 7 or any other "1 match vs 2" scenario. Especially since you will be spamming greens. @18 green you are looking at 4 claws vs. 6. To start a match with +3 all +3 green you are talking 1 claw vs. 2 to start a match. It's a big difference. The lower the hp, the more important the skill generally is to level. Magneto is the only example where this doesn't hold true and that's because his red is so lackluster compared to his blue and purple (both very good abilities..and one is a ap lowering lvl up as well).

On paper it might not seem big, but if you were to take your 4green and try a 3 green to compare I am certain you would sadly realise in a few matches how big a mistake it was for the character....even more so if you run another character with red (as mist players do).

That's not to say he is all of a sudden garbage tho..he just isn't what he could be.
  • Yeah sounds like I may have screwed up...but I don't agree with the fact that he is totally useless. 5 yellow still means he can tank, and 4 green is good just not great. I'm gonna pair him with a 5/5/3 Hood and a 5/5 Doom I think there is synergy there for a strong team.
  • Wolverine covers drop fairly regularly as well, starting to work on a backup Wolvie will pay off quickly.
  • KillStormFirst
    KillStormFirst Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    5/5/3 -- Don't wast you time trying to bank on his healing when 1 big shot could take him out easily even fully healed. His feral claws do serious damage to the opposing team and works nicely for you team attacks when used properly. Plus he's a closer, If your lvl 85 Thor gets KTFO, and you have a decent Wolverine, he can still win you the match by himself. icon_idea.gif
  • U
    5/5/3 -- Don't wast you time trying to bank on his healing when 1 big shot could take him out easily even fully healed. His feral claws do serious damage to the opposing team and works nicely for you team attacks when used properly. Plus he's a closer, If your lvl 85 Thor gets KTFO, and you have a decent Wolverine, he can still win you the match by himself. icon_idea.gif

Defensively, yes, offensively where the majority of a character's worth is? No. On off. If you expect a huge shot that he cannot handle, you have problems regardless. On the other hand, with healing at 4-5 you going to be healing after purposely taking NEAR death hits. Don't tank a 2200 damage thunder if he only has 2000 hp. But tank a 1800 one and keep him in the back and he is back up while your other characters take a few matching hits. If he is the last man standing then its far harder to down him going -200 damage +170 than without. Green is the only must though. 5/3/5, 5/4/4, 5/5/3 all have their ups and downs but green is what he is on your team for.

I think wolvie shines the most as part of a pve team though as you don't usually have to worry about 1 hit ko shots and his healing makes you use few to no health packs. Lvl 85 wolverine with cap and magneto (2**) or grey suit (low level so as to stay back) is a solid team for pve and cap and mag/widow are there only for their abilities and not their damage so you don't even have to level them if you don't want. He works fine as part of a main pve team too or events where you have time to take a min to let him heal somewhere without the worry of being hit. Wolvie ups the tile match damage by about 20-30% for a mid level villain in lightning and with a non-rag/Loki team should be getting your green matches, meaning you can use him to take a few hits here and there on offense.
This discussion has been closed.