** Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) ** [PRE 2014-01]

Comments

• Ranzera wrote:
    I've been running him with venom and spidey for a perfect Rainbow (1 ability on each color). I hear he does surprisingly well with Ragnarok. I don't know what a good third would be for that team though.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I feel Thor is a better fit for that team. The fact that Thor generates yellow feeds Spidey's heal, and his red is way more damaging than Wolvie's, even without this week's tourney boost. Wolvie's strike tiles can be useful but may not be as effective with a Venom who is capped at 40... icon_e_confused.gif

I figured Thor/Spidey/Venom would be my main team for a little while because I thought the color synergy seemed really good, but I made the mistake of bringing Venom to 5/5, which basically made the Devour combo too expensive to be possible. Then again, with Thor on my team, another main reason I couldn't make the Devour combo happen was because Thor killed the other teams so quick. This is even before this week's tournament. The other problem was that the team lacked damage. When Thor would get killed I'd be SOL unless I had a ton of black for Venom.

I think 2-star Wolvie would be a really good, solid character in a different game where Thor wasn't this powerful. Either that, or maybe in the future, if a character is added that benefits your team while draining your team's own health, like a Michael Morbius or something--e.g. XX ability causes your entire team to lose YY health but gain ZZ AP of each color, or something. At that point, 2-star Wolvie's passive regen would really shine. Either that or a character who powers up strike tiles?

I respect anyone who sticking it out with this guy, but right now I think it's really hard for him (and 1-star Iron Man) to get out of Thor's shadow.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Nick-Fury wrote:
    What does he heal for each turn at lvl 85 with max yellow? And how does that compare to a max level Daken? I'm wondering if either are worth leveling.

Depends who you are running with Daken. Ragnarok/Daken can form a potent force, as each thunderclap you activate can result in several strike tiles due to Daken's passive. Used them a ton in the Dark Avenger tourney, alongside a maxed out Moonstone (for variety!). To me, I prefer Daken over AXM Wolvie for the saved turns from a passive skill over a skill you have to activate. My AXM Wolvie is only at Lv51, so not sure how they stack up health/damage wise.

Daken has annoyability factor too, nobody seems to like the passive turns icon_e_biggrin.gif

I'm running Thor/Classic Spidey/Classic Storm at the minute, but want someone to replace Storm. The best alternatives I have at the moment are Modern Hawkeye 5/5/3, Wolverine 3/5/5 and Daken 5/4.
  • I can post some note about him.
    5/3/5 is all you need. He heals 189 per turn. Don't see a reason why somebody want 5/5/3. 10 red ap = 2*5 ragnarok thunder clap + a lots of green tiles. In pvp all you need is good team which works with eachother. If you got somebody in your team which uses red skill and cost of this red skill is less then 10 you won't see adamantium slash while defending in pvp.

Personaly I think one on one wolvie would smash ragnarok easly.

Offtopic: One on one - nice tournament type, two on two would be nice also
  • Nick-Fury wrote:
    I'm running Thor/Classic Spidey/Classic Storm at the minute, but want someone to replace Storm. The best alternatives I have at the moment are Modern Hawkeye 5/5/3, Wolverine 3/5/5 and Daken 5/4.

If I were you, I'd stick with C. Storm out of that group. Good synergy with Thor's yellow to feed her green. And the obvious reasons.

If you're just sick of C. Storm, Grey Widow's green also synergizes well with Thor's yellow. That's actually my current team, but will likely change after this week's tourney.
  • adamLmpq wrote:
    Wolverine's strike tiles are about twice (if not more) as powerful as Daken's at equal level

Interesting. I guess you have the trade off there - either almost freebie strike tiles hitting at half power with Daken, or paid for strike tiles (and in some cases many multiples, if you have 15 red stored for instance) hitting at full power with Wolvie. Wolvie's healing being more reliable than Daken too. It's funny how you can flip flop on characters, when you hear other peoples experiences and see them in action.

Daken might just trump Wolvie on the annoyability factor lol.
  • Nick-Fury wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:
    Nick-Fury wrote:
    What does he heal for each turn at lvl 85 with max yellow? And how does that compare to a max level Daken? I'm wondering if either are worth leveling.

Depends who you are running with Daken. Ragnarok/Daken can form a potent force, as each thunderclap you activate can result in several strike tiles due to Daken's passive. Used them a ton in the Dark Avenger tourney, alongside a maxed out Moonstone (for variety!). To me, I prefer Daken over AXM Wolvie for the saved turns from a passive skill over a skill you have to activate. My AXM Wolvie is only at Lv51, so not sure how they stack up health/damage wise.

Daken has annoyability factor too, nobody seems to like the passive turns icon_e_biggrin.gif

Personally, I'd stick with that lineup if that was all I had available. But it never does any harm to have alternatives to rotate in, not just in case of Storm being downed, but to give yourself options against different opponent lineups. Who you choose, is largely down to gut feeling I think! I've levelled up several characters and then thought, I wished I had invested that iso elsewhere. Hope the feedback from the guys here gives you some food for thought.
  • Thor can't touch Wolverine, someguy. Thor may have a higher base damage than Wolverine but Wolverine makes everyone hit like a truck. I'm talking to the tune of 600 damage match 3s. At 9 cost Spidey heal comes up often enough. Wolverine is a berserker. He does more damage the more attacks he gets off. Those strike tiles add damage to EVERYTHING. Matches, abilities, OTHER characters abilities, hell even attack tiles. I do 2700 damage Reds all the time. Hell, after the third green, those are even hitting for 1k.
  • Ranzera wrote:
    Thor can't touch Wolverine, someguy. Thor may have a higher base damage than Wolverine but Wolverine makes everyone hit like a truck. I'm talking to the tune of 600 damage match 3s. At 9 cost Spidey heal comes up often enough. Wolverine is a berserker. He does more damage the more attacks he gets off. Those strike tiles add damage to EVERYTHING. Matches, abilities, OTHER characters abilities, hell even attack tiles. I do 2700 damage Reds all the time. Hell, after the third green, those are even hitting for 1k.

I'm sure the scaling on his strike tiles eventually gets insane. Thor gives me speed, though. With boosts, I can red first turn, and with the right cascades, I can yellow first turn...not many characters in the game can survive both. I can't remember finding a 2-star Wolvie I couldn't instakill with a Thor red+yellow on the same turn. It also means C. Storm is a non-issue for me. Very few times I've seen her even able to survive even a few turns for me. Can Wolvie one-shot C. Storm as easily or quickly?

As mentioned many times, the current meta is all about speed. The natural counters are either even more speed (Thor's red -> yellow -> green cascades) or tankiness, which, above all other things, is the thing that will make me skip somebody in a tourney. A C. Storm with 2000 health? NP. A 2-star Wolvie with 2,500 health? NP. A Thor or Rag with 5,000 health that will take me an extra several turns just to whittle down? ...Say, who else is available?
  • I spin up on c storm. Start with 6 green and red from boosts and get a couple clears. By the time I kill c storm in 2ish turns I'm ready to kill a level 85 thor in 2 more.
  • Who are good pair ups with Wolverine? Right now I am using Thor, M Storm and Black Widow. I was thinking of replacing Storm with Wolverine but not sure he's a good fit. Also how do you level him up??? It's almost impossible to get his covers!
  • Arinya wrote:
    Who are good pair ups with Wolverine? Right now I am using Thor, M Storm and Black Widow. I was thinking of replacing Storm with Wolverine but not sure he's a good fit. Also how do you level him up??? It's almost impossible to get his covers!

There are 3 covers (1 of each color) available in the Prologue as rewards from the "Dark Avengers" mission in the "Dark Avengers" challenge. Beyond that, same as just about any 2* and up character -- random luck or awards from tournaments.
  • I unfortunately was glitched out of getting his heal ability with the R40 patch. I really want to use him, but he isn't anything special without that ability.
  • Blue Shoes wrote:
    I unfortunately was glitched out of getting his heal ability with the R40 patch. I really want to use him, but he isn't anything special without that ability.

Ranzera will beg to differ, although maybe not as much now that strike tiles seem to have been nerfed.
  • someguy wrote:
    Blue Shoes wrote:
    I unfortunately was glitched out of getting his heal ability with the R40 patch. I really want to use him, but he isn't anything special without that ability.

Ranzera will beg to differ, although maybe not as much now that strike tiles seem to have been nerfed.

Nerfed? Really? How? I must of missed that in the notes and I have not had a chance to play the new version much. Just one match. Loving the new interface during matches.

Oh! So anyone good combo suggestions? Who should goes good with him?
  • Does anyone know what kind of health he has at higher levels? I was considering paying for a few covers but I don't want to waste the money if anybody with a level 85 Thor can smash him with one hit.
  • doloriel wrote:
    Does anyone know what kind of health he has at higher levels? I was considering paying for a few covers but I don't want to waste the money if anybody with a level 85 Thor can smash him with one hit.

There is a max stats page somewhere in these forums that will tell you the specifics on stats. That being said, I have a 72 wolvie that I use to tank thor hits with. Generally speaking, he does a good job of it most of the time. So long as the Thor doesn't chain his abilities, you can back burner wolvie for a bit in a match and he comes out with that new car smell, itching to do more damage. Btw, my Wolverine is 5 yellow.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Just accidentally raised his red to 4 instead of selling the cover. Can't do a 5/3/5 now. This sucks. I'm pairing him with Thor so his Strike is useless to me, compared to the constant regen.

Eh, 5/4/4 won't be that bad... Might make a second copy of him, with how popular his covers are, and sell the 5/4/4 when I get a 5/3/5. I wish there was a confirmation box for training a 3-power Cover past Level 3.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    Might make a second copy of him, with how popular his covers are, and sell the 5/4/4 when I get a 5/3/5. I wish there was a confirmation box for training a 3-power Cover past Level 3.
    Where are people getting his covers? Am I missing something because he's been an extremely hard find for me.
  • a 5 blue spider is working amazing with him for me. Since he gets strong with more attack tiles and time, spider giving him enough time for this and for his self heal. As a third wheel, maybe im40 for more tankiness and recharge.
  • Where are people getting his covers? Am I missing something because he's been an extremely hard find for me.
    I've got quite a few from heroic tokens.
This discussion has been closed.