MPQ 11th Anniversary Zombie Slayer Community Challenge

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,161 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

@Tony_Foot said:
    I really really want that stone but I really really really don’t want everyone else I play having that stone because currently next to no one I play has blue ap boosts. So I’m doing nothing intentionally towards getting it, sue me!

Boooooo, boo this man!

At least he isn't giving up already like Slidecage and has an unreasonable malicious based reason for us to fail! The best type of reason!

Is a reasonable malicious based reason for us to fail OK?

Asking for a friend...

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,145 Chairperson of the Boards

@sambrookjm said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

@Tony_Foot said:
    I really really want that stone but I really really really don’t want everyone else I play having that stone because currently next to no one I play has blue ap boosts. So I’m doing nothing intentionally towards getting it, sue me!

Boooooo, boo this man!

At least he isn't giving up already like Slidecage and has an unreasonable malicious based reason for us to fail! The best type of reason!

Is a reasonable malicious based reason for us to fail OK?

Asking for a friend...

As long as it is a fair, malice towards all spitefulness, then I would say so, yes!

• Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker

Well, if the zombie density doesn’t rise quickly ingame, we might fail
    Give Quandary some extra spicy Deadpool tacos with extra onions so she / he can fart out some more of her / his green zombie gas!

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,397 Chairperson of the Boards

@WilliamK1983 said:

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

@Tony_Foot said:

Boooooo, boo this man!

Are you saying boo or boo urns?

Smithers!

I was saying Boo-urns

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,703 Chairperson of the Boards

I find the community's response to these challenges very weird.

It's a bunch of stuff we get for free, for playing basically how we'd normally play. Yes, there's some top tier of rewards that may or may not be reachable, that we may or may not get.

So what? It's not like they're giving us that stuff and then taking it away. Why are some folks so focused on the stuff we could've got but didn't?

• entrailbucket

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

It's a bunch of stuff we get for free, for playing basically how we'd normally play. Yes, there's some top tier of rewards that may or may not be reachable, that we may or may not get.

So what? It's not like they're giving us that stuff and then taking it away. Why are some folks so focused on the stuff we could've got but didn't?

Because these challenges are currently the only way to obtain a stone outside of doing some really goofy things to win a pvp season. Right now I'm only missing 3 supports (the soul, mind, and space stone) and this is the only way to ever get them.

I also strongly suspect that they will keep rotating them into these challenges every time we earn them. We could already have the space stone and be on to a new one if we didn't keep failing, and I don't really blame the players for this. The last time we failed the devs response was "get more active letting people on social media know". I feel like any players that are on the forum, mpq discord, Twitter, or fb are already very aware of these events.

What we need is for the vast majority of players that aren't on mpq social media to be made aware of it and that needs to happen in game. A quick pop up that is probably closed without really looking at it isn't enough. If there was a progress bar in game showing how far we were and what the potential rewards are, I bet much more people would get involved if they knew what they could win.

It really sucks when the people who really try to do this thing fail because there just aren't enough of us trying. It especially sucks when, like last time, we came close but there was also a lot of confusion about how the points worked that we didn't get clarification on until it was too late to do anything about.

Nobody failed though. We're going to get a bunch of free stuff for doing nothing, no matter what. We might miss out on, like, theoretical additional free stuff, but in MPQ that happens literally every day.

The infinity stone rewards for season placement are an excellent example, actually. Are you upset because you "fail" to earn one every season? Why not?

• entrailbucket

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

Because these challenges are currently the only way to obtain a stone outside of doing some really goofy things to win a pvp season. Right now I'm only missing 3 supports (the soul, mind, and space stone) and this is the only way to ever get them.

I also strongly suspect that they will keep rotating them into these challenges every time we earn them. We could already have the space stone and be on to a new one if we didn't keep failing, and I don't really blame the players for this. The last time we failed the devs response was "get more active letting people on social media know". I feel like any players that are on the forum, mpq discord, Twitter, or fb are already very aware of these events.

What we need is for the vast majority of players that aren't on mpq social media to be made aware of it and that needs to happen in game. A quick pop up that is probably closed without really looking at it isn't enough. If there was a progress bar in game showing how far we were and what the potential rewards are, I bet much more people would get involved if they knew what they could win.

It really sucks when the people who really try to do this thing fail because there just aren't enough of us trying. It especially sucks when, like last time, we came close but there was also a lot of confusion about how the points worked that we didn't get clarification on until it was too late to do anything about.

Nobody failed though. We're going to get a bunch of free stuff for doing nothing, no matter what. We might miss out on, like, theoretical additional free stuff, but in MPQ that happens literally every day.

The infinity stone rewards for season placement are an excellent example, actually. Are you upset because you "fail" to earn one every season? Why not?

Like I said, there's no feasible way to earn the pvp stone. Only one person gets it and you have to be part of the super secret club.

This is something we could actually do if people were aware that it was happening. Maybe they'll be able to add some sort of tracker in game with the " New Engine TM"

That's my point though! There's also "no feasible way" to beat these challenges.

Yeah, if they put them in game somehow and told everyone about them and everyone actually tried, we could potentially maybe earn all the rewards. But none of those things is happening, so I'm not going to get upset about "missing out" on something I never actually had a chance to get.

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,425 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 5 October 2024, 20:20

If they can put that season pass up on the main page. Why can't they put a bar for this up on the main screen

Also I have given up on reaching anything in this game long ago

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker

@slidecage said:
    If they can put that season pass up on the main page. Why can't they put a bar for this up on the main screen

...and yet you still find the need to complain/whine.

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,425 Chairperson of the Boards

@Codex said:

@slidecage said:

If I didn't who would 😂

• Rejoinder
    Rejoinder Posts: 9 Just Dropped In

I tried the grind for a bit, but I ran out of incentives shortly after I cleared all of my daily/ weekly challenges.

After that...it's just the same slow node over and over with no individual rewards, no sense of progression, and no chance of me getting close to the weekly top ten.

It would be nice if the node gave us, like, 1 red iso per win. That might make it worthwhile. As it is, I probably won't go back it.

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 449 Mover and Shaker

@slidecage said:

@Codex said:

@slidecage said:

If I didn't who would 😂

... most everyone else. whining is something you can always rely on others to do for you ;)

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 449 Mover and Shaker
    edited 7 October 2024, 10:07

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

Like I said, there's no feasible way to earn the pvp stone. Only one person gets it and you have to be part of the super secret club.

This is something we could actually do if people were aware that it was happening. Maybe they'll be able to add some sort of tracker in game with the " New Engine TM"

That's my point though! There's also "no feasible way" to beat these challenges.

Yeah, if they put them in game somehow and told everyone about them and everyone actually tried, we could potentially maybe earn all the rewards. But none of those things is happening, so I'm not going to get upset about "missing out" on something I never actually had a chance to get.

It all depends on the math, sir. Devs have the usage data, it's simple modeling / projection to design easily achievable goals, or literally impossible goals, or anything in between. But these devs have demonstrated their ability to **** up math, even on highly visible events, and then they task their mouthpieces with explaining to the playerbase how it's the fault of the playerbase for not overcoming faulty dev math. Doubly disingenuous when the bulk of the playerbase is casual, unconnected, completely oblivious to anything not explicitly in game ... and not likely to understand new things that are in game ... they're just passively matching gems in a freakin' phone toilet game ... and the dev mouthpiece declares "your collective fault for not motivating the casuals we don't bother communcating with—that only the devs can communicate with—to play more!" 🙃

(And I'm only aware of what goes on in the English speaking parts of the online MPQ scene. How are players who speak French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Polish, Ukrainian, etc, ad nauseum, being communicated with? No idea. I've hung out in French, German, and Russian alliances (good time!), but not during one of these "challenge" farces).

So, sure, no chance, why even try. Why even bother with the charade at all :D I don't fault players, or even whiners, for asking for square dealing. It should be a basic expectation, one that should go w/o saying. Don't **** up in event design; when you do **** up, make it right, don't blame the users. Don't offer impossible goals, and play dumb when they are not surpassed. Offer hard, even unlikely goals, but describe them as such if you do.

No, no need to fret over something that wasn't going to happen, but shouldn't have to put up with asshats pretending the impossible-by-design was possible—whether the impossibility was intentional or a **** up—and the fault in not achieving the impossible was on the player side.

EDIT to add note to mods: granny filter not flagging 'asshats'? Oh dear. Update needed :D

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 790 Critical Contributor

Looks like we will get to tier 5 but not complete it on the current amount of points. If we average the same each day we will get to around 150 million points

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 476 Mover and Shaker
    edited 6 October 2024, 12:50

@turbomoose said:
    Looks like we will get to tier 5 but not complete it on the current amount of points. If we average the same each day we will get to around 150 million points

There's a weekend bump happening and regularly active players are going to be all out of rewards on the featured events in a couple more days. We're going to stall out very soon.

I think I understand that the devs are trying to trigger some kind of grass-roots player action here but 90% of the player-base remains almost entirely unaware of damn near everything beyond the mechanics of DDQ, let alone an event with arcane rules that requires following a pop-up banner off the app to read and no in-game measure to see your own contributions. I've been playing this game for 4+ years and I still can't parse if my actions are making any difference, it's bad design through and through.

The long-time (and I'm counting myself in here generously!) community can mostly do a 4-degrees of any other "known" player and talk to each other, but I'm absolutely baffled by the idea that we're somehow supposed to engage the match-3 zombies ourselves. It very much works in the other direction! Some of us get SO hooked that we start looking for more information and eventually become serious players in serious alliances (maybe in serious alliance families, at that!) If ANY of us could figure out how to make this game so appealing that people cross the divide otherwise then you really should be employing them, not plying them with the empty promise of community awards.

I can't even make a carrot/stick analogy work here because all we've got is the scent of the carrot and total darkness to work with.

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 790 Critical Contributor

I only just realised that you can get bonus points using the characters with swapped characters and I’m 10 years in. Suppose I should have read the post properly really