What's New MPQ - June 2023 (Updated 6/15/23)

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Scofie said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    All of this talk brings me to Kevin Bacon (hmm bacon).

So in the GotG films and TV shows it is established that Kevin Bacon, the actor exists in the MCU. Does this mean that the concept of six degrees of Kevin Bacon transcends universes?!?!? Is Kevin Bacon some sort of multiversal constant? Is there or will there be a DC Kevin Bacon? A Star Wars Kevin Bacon? What would happen if Kevin Bacon became aware of all the other Kevin Bacon's?!?!?

Dance off

Ultimate dance off! But what if then all the Kevin Bacon's merged to become one giant Bacon? Would it be friendly or would it be how we all end?

They would end works hunger. That's how Mega Bacon rolls.

Oh no...I just realised that Kevin Bacon is Sebastian Shaw so the Fox X-Men universe has TWO Kevin Bacon's - I think we may have discovered how the X-Men get into the MCU after a major bacon event is declared. Forget Secret Wars and wait for the unveiling of Bacon Wars.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't like musicals too much but I must correct.
    14 nominations to Oscar and won 5, among them the Oscar to actor, so actually he did a perfect job.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

"Far from trying to get the thread back on topic, Scofie just moved it to another Hollywood Ryan that has never slated in a Marvel film" - Mod review weekly, July 23

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Scofie said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    I have been meaning to watch La La land but somehow still haven't. Perhaps if my wife ever finishes her 235th play through of Gilmore Girls I might achieve it. Now that has Kraglin in and Jonathan from Buffy AND Sam from Supernatural but not Ryan Reynolds I don't think.

La la land is Ryan Gosling so you can safely give it a miss and retain super fan status.

Yay!!! I mean...oh no...this will knock me out of my top 100 Ryan Gosling position...

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Scofie said:
    "Far from trying to get the thread back on topic, Scofie just moved it to another Hollywood Ryan that has never slated in a Marvel film" - Mod review weekly, July 23

The only way to get this thread back on topic is to travel backwards in time as Ryan Reynolds did in the popular movie Van Wilder 2: Caveman Time Travel Van.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Bad said:
    I don't like musicals too much but I must correct.
    14 nominations to Oscar and won 5, among them the Oscar to actor, so actually he did a perfect job.

He was great! I like how he even changed his name and facial features to appear in it. Dedication.

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Options

"breaking the fifth wall" sounds a lot like **** marketing that expresses nothing new except "look we cooler than the hasbeen conformists than "only" break the fourth wall"...

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 400 Mover and Shaker
    Options

La La Land was Gosling as mentioned but an absolutely fantastic movie.

Van Wilder is absolutely hilarious, but almost a similar comedic style as Deadpool so you may not enjoy it as much. I loved every bit of it though, and that’s what really turned me on to him.

He had a small, hilarious cameo role in the first Harold and Kumar and one of his best roles in Waiting… another very funny movie.

• DAZ0273
    Options

Breaking the fifth wall is a pretty silly concept. But it can be fun sometimes. Prior to She Hulk and Deadpool talking directly to the reader Marvel would break the fifth wall - Uncanny X-Men Annual 7 is a notable one where the X-Men actually have a battle in the Marvel Bullpen with creators drawn into the story. The X-Men writers wrote themselves into the comic more than once (Uncanny X-Men 10 has Walt & Louise Simonson's feet in it!) and I am pretty sure Stan Lee appeared in actual FF stories thus merging the fictional with the real world.

For examples of Metatexuality - Peter David made a career out of this. The Death of Jean DeWolff alone has references to Cagney & Lacey and an appearance by Charles Bronson Deathwish style lurking in a crowd.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@bigjojo04 said:
    La La Land was Gosling as mentioned but an absolutely fantastic movie.

Van Wilder is absolutely hilarious, but almost a similar comedic style as Deadpool so you may not enjoy it as much. I loved every bit of it though, and that’s what really turned me on to him.

He had a small, hilarious cameo role in the first Harold and Kumar and one of his best roles in Waiting… another very funny movie.

He has never played Omega Red so he is not dead to me thus I am willing to try things out.

I should also maybe be more clear: I don't have any issues with Deadpool in terms of what it is - it conforms with Deadpool as we know him. I was just shocked at how bad the script was (in my opinion, MMV of course) and the plot was on the very thin side. I didn't find Deadpool himself funny which is pretty much a nail in the coffin if your concept is Deadpool is irreverent and funny. Maybe I should give it another try. I am intrigued to see Deadpool 2 and will do so before DP3. I hope DP3 isn't only a fan service movie. I hope they get a better script writer and a solid plot. They can win me round, I am open to it.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor
    Options

I thought the difference between the walls was as simple as:

Fourth wall break: the character interacts with the audience.

Fifth wall break: the actor, dropping the character they're playing, interacts with the audience.

When Deadpool kills versions of Ryan Reynolds, he's still Deadpool; still Wade Wilson, and not Ryan Reynolds, so it's a fourth wall break.

This thread makes it sound super complicated though.

Anyway, does anyone remember what's new because I forgot.

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 400 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yea this is no longer a what’s new thread, it’s now a Deadpool/MCU/movies thread.

And I’d certainly recommend checking out the second one if nothing more than for continuities sake if you intend on seeing the third one. Firefist can be a little annoying at times in that one but they did include a great secondary villain that produces some good moments.

I haven’t looked to see who wrote Deadpool 3 but from what I’ve heard of the proposed plot it sounds pretty fun. Some of what I’ve heard include(potential plot spoilers for Deadpool 3 incoming so don’t uncover the spoiler if you don’t wanna know)….

Allegedly Cable and Deadpool are going to be traveling thru time and universes to correct things such as preventing Wolverines death in Logan. Just recently read that Jennifer Garner may return as Elektra and also heard possibly Jessica Alba and the original Fantastic Four cast making a cameo and Owen Wilson’s Mobius and the TVA alleged to have a big role chasing them thru the different universes they go into.

• bladewing
    bladewing Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options

If there’s a sixth wall, I’m sure this thread has broken through that now. Meanwhile, the July What’s New thread must be stuck behind the first wall, trying to find a way out.

• meteor0905
    meteor0905 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options

offtopic

• DAZ0273
    Options

@bladewing said:
    If there’s a sixth wall, I’m sure this thread has broken through that now. Meanwhile, the July What’s New thread must be stuck behind the first wall, trying to find a way out.

I think it might be caught in the time fractures created during the War of the Bacon's. We just need for our reality to stabilise.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@bigjojo04 said:
    Yea this is no longer a what’s new thread, it’s now a Deadpool/MCU/movies thread.

And I’d certainly recommend checking out the second one if nothing more than for continuities sake if you intend on seeing the third one. Firefist can be a little annoying at times in that one but they did include a great secondary villain that produces some good moments.

I haven’t looked to see who wrote Deadpool 3 but from what I’ve heard of the proposed plot it sounds pretty fun. Some of what I’ve heard include(potential plot spoilers for Deadpool 3 incoming so don’t uncover the spoiler if you don’t wanna know)….

Allegedly Cable and Deadpool are going to be traveling thru time and universes to correct things such as preventing Wolverines death in Logan. Just recently read that Jennifer Garner may return as Elektra and also heard possibly Jessica Alba and the original Fantastic Four cast making a cameo and Owen Wilson’s Mobius and the TVA alleged to have a big role chasing them thru the different universes they go into.

Crikey that is a lot going on in that spoiler! I shall pledge myself to watch DP2.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@meteor0905 said:
    offtopic

June is over. Therefore how can any post about what is happening in June be on topic?

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@meteor0905 said:
    offtopic

June is over. Therefore how can any post about what is happening in June be on topic?

This is what happens when there is no July post, we talk about anything but the game.. plus back-to-back PvE doesn't help either. I hope they make a huge announcement about the rumored SS and Omega Red

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'd dare to say that this off topic thread is more interesting than saying many "new" things which usually are totally different when the release comes.
    And if it serves for someone wanting to watch something different, the better.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I believe @Bad has just broken the 7th wall...