What's New MPQ - June 2023 (Updated 6/15/23)

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,172 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think the 5th wall is the ceiling, then? Or the floor?

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor
    Options

"I've heard it both ways."

"No, you haven't, Shawn"

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 710 Critical Contributor
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@Bad said:

@Bowgentle said:
    ,,,that's the fourth wall, not the fifth...

"It is known in acting as “breaking the fifth wall” and is when actor's may make comments, or assides, sharing their internal process with the audience, as if stepping out of the world created on the stage to join with them on an intimate basis."

No, it's known as breaking the fourth wall. The 3 walls of the set, the fourth wall is the camera

Bang on. Also Google is your friend.

• Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options

The fourth wall is an imaginary wall that separates the story from the real world. This term comes from the theatre, where the three surrounding walls enclose the stage while an invisible “4th wall” is left out for the sake of the viewer. The 4th wall is the screen we’re watching. We treat this wall like a one-way mirror. The audience can see and comprehend the story, but the story cannot comprehend the existence of the audience.

If you break that wall, you break that accord. This is called “Breaking The 4th Wall.” It can also be described as the story becoming aware of itself.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Deadpool and Deadpool 2 are basically just nonstop Fourth and Fifth wall references. During the closing credits of Deadpool 2, Deadpool travels back in time to kill Ryan Reynolds before he can accept the lead role in Green Lantern.
    Are you still unconvinced?

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

@Bad said:
    Deadpool and Deadpool 2 are basically just nonstop Fourth and Fifth wall references. During the closing credits of Deadpool 2, Deadpool travels back in time to kill Ryan Reynolds before he can accept the lead role in Green Lantern.
    Are you still unconvinced?

Talking to the audience is breaking the fourth wall but using fiction to criticise yourself or other works of fiction is called metatexuality. The jokes about affording 2 X-Men or playing Green Lantern fall into the second category (and combine with the first if we are telling the joke to the audience directly).

The fifth wall (which is a theatrical term) would apply to Ryan Reynolds acknowledging that he played Green Lantern, something that doesn't exist in the X-Men reality. Another example of breaking the Fifth wall is in the film Blazing Saddles where the cast actually break out of the film onto the movie set itself.

This is also where we get the term "meta" from - when we say something is meta it is in direct correlation to other fictional concepts and uses them as a way to define and or criticise.

• Bad
    Options

The fifth wall is the barrier between fiction and reality, the characters acknowledge themselves and can even change real facts happened in reality many times involving actors real life, or any other bizarre resource.
    That's the fifth wall, ladies and gentlemen.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@Bad said:

@Bowgentle said:
    ,,,that's the fourth wall, not the fifth...

"It is known in acting as “breaking the fifth wall” and is when actor's may make comments, or assides, sharing their internal process with the audience, as if stepping out of the world created on the stage to join with them on an intimate basis."

No, it's known as breaking the fourth wall. The 3 walls of the set, the fourth wall is the camera

Bang on. Also Google is your friend.

Talking to the audience is breaking the fourth wall, yes. This is an acknowledgment that the character is aware of the audience. However having it shown that the character not only knows there is an audience but is actually part of that audience same universe is breaking the fifth wall. Think of She Hulk - she talks to us viewers all the time but there is no understanding that she isn't part of our universe. Then when she actually goes and interacts with Kevin Feige there is no more wall as she is shown as physically existing in the same universe as the people making the show - so that is the fifth wall broken.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Borstock said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@Borstock said:
    If you don't enjoy juvenile jokes, cussing, and making fun of the genre....yeah, Deadpool is not your guy.

I have no issue with any of those things. I laughed at Kickass. Mystery Men is one of the greatest super hero films ever made. I just didn't think Deadpool did any of those things very well. /shrugs

Hm. Not sure, then. I find both films highly entertaining. I can't watch Ryan Reynolds in anything else, or take him seriously in anything. But he was genetically conceived in a lab to play Deadpool and I've loved every minute.

Truth be told I had no idea who Ryan Reynolds was. I think he was in some US TV show? No idea. So I didn't really get all the hype about him and his X-Men Origins appearance did not prepare at all. Likewise I also didn't know who the Mr. Fantastic guy in Dr. Strange 2 was either until I realised he was in a meme. It was only after that I found out that meme was from the US version of The Office. I suppose going in "blind" has advantages but it didn't really succeed in making me a Ryan Reynolds fan as an actor. He does seem a thoroughly nice bloke in real life though, I will get around to watching the Wrexham thing.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Bad said:
    The fifth wall is the barrier between fiction and reality, the characters acknowledge themselves and can even change real facts happened in reality many times involving actors real life, or any other bizarre resource.
    That's the fifth wall, ladies and gentlemen.

Yes. The fourth wall is a character in a fictional setting showing they are aware they are in a fictional setting (and are not the narrator) and also aware that they are being watched by an audience who they might choose to interact with but normally only in a one way conversation. Breaking the fourth wall though is not an acknowledgment that the character is not fictional still. Breaking the fifth wall goes one step further by demonstrating that the character exists and is part of the audience universe and not just their fictional one.

• DAZ0273
    Options

All of this talk brings me to Kevin Bacon (hmm bacon).

So in the GotG films and TV shows it is established that Kevin Bacon, the actor exists in the MCU. Does this mean that the concept of six degrees of Kevin Bacon transcends universes?!?!? Is Kevin Bacon some sort of multiversal constant? Is there or will there be a DC Kevin Bacon? A Star Wars Kevin Bacon? What would happen if Kevin Bacon became aware of all the other Kevin Bacon's?!?!?

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 710 Critical Contributor
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

So in the GotG films and TV shows it is established that Kevin Bacon, the actor exists in the MCU. Does this mean that the concept of six degrees of Kevin Bacon transcends universes?!?!? Is Kevin Bacon some sort of multiversal constant? Is there or will there be a DC Kevin Bacon? A Star Wars Kevin Bacon? What would happen if Kevin Bacon became aware of all the other Kevin Bacon's?!?!?

Dance off

• DAZ0273
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

Dance off

Ultimate dance off! But what if then all the Kevin Bacon's merged to become one giant Bacon? Would it be friendly or would it be how we all end?

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@DAZ0273 said:

Dance off

Ultimate dance off! But what if then all the Kevin Bacon's merged to become one giant Bacon? Would it be friendly or would it be how we all end?

They would end works hunger. That's how Mega Bacon rolls.

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 400 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Wait you never knew who Ryan Reynolds was? Is it cuz you live overseas or something to that effect? He’s been a very popular actor for most of his career. I’ve known of him ever since he was Van Wilder.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@bigjojo04 said:
    Wait you never knew who Ryan Reynolds was? Is it cuz you live overseas or something to that effect? He’s been a very popular actor for most of his career. I’ve known of him ever since he was Van Wilder.

I'm from the UK but I am sure that is not a very good excuse as I am sure lots of people knew who Ryan Reynolds was. I have no idea what Van Wilder is- I assume it is not about a caveman who has wacky adventures in a van? Although that sounds ideal for Ryan Reynolds perhaps teamed up with Ben Stiller. I only needed to watch about 8 minutes of Green Lantern to understand I could be spending my time better. X-Men: Origins I think needs no more discussion. So that is the entirety of my Ryan Reynolds sizzle reel.

• DAZ0273
    edited July 2023
    Options

Oh no wait...very much against my will I have also seen Detective Pikachu which wasn't completely terrible, maybe? I am sure he was in something else I watched not so long ago also. Was he in some sort of video game based movie last year?

Free Guy! I do not remember a single thing about this movie.

Also Ryan Reynolds was apparently in Blade Trinity?!?!?

Edit: So it is starting to look as though I am in fact one of Ryan Reynolds top fans.

Edit Edit: I googled Van Wilder. I think my idea is much better.

• Bad
    Options

I'd say he did a right work on la la land.
    He even learned how to play piano in order to not double up his scenes and it seems he is good.
    So it's another point for him imo, very few actors will do that.

• DAZ0273
    Options

I have been meaning to watch La La land but somehow still haven't. Perhaps if my wife ever finishes her 235th play through of Gilmore Girls I might achieve it. Now that has Kraglin in and Jonathan from Buffy AND Sam from Supernatural but not Ryan Reynolds I don't think.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    I have been meaning to watch La La land but somehow still haven't. Perhaps if my wife ever finishes her 235th play through of Gilmore Girls I might achieve it. Now that has Kraglin in and Jonathan from Buffy AND Sam from Supernatural but not Ryan Reynolds I don't think.

La la land is Ryan Gosling so you can safely give it a miss and retain super fan status.