***** Jeffrey (Symbiote) *****

Options

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I have no problem with joke characters. I just hadn't heard of this particular character before.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Borstock said:
    I have no problem with joke characters. I just hadn't heard of this particular character before.

Me neither.

It does beg the question: Could/should this have been a 4* release? Maybe. Obviously the Devs love the character, joke or not.

We have an interesting period coming up with GotG3. Will we get a 5* Racoon? Will we get a dog with a space hat on? Maybe a superhero otter? Or will we get the (at least comic book version) very very boring High Evolutionary. I know which ones I have my fingers crossed for. B)

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 450 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Borstock said:

I think the only real argument against is that there are "better" characters not in game yet, but of course that's entirely subjective. Do I still really want a 3/5 NW Nova/Nova Prime? Of course I do! But I'm not going to get mad that my personal want list isn't being fulfilled every dang time. Also fwiw, I think codifying April as the "silly character" month is a fun move.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

To me, the best thing about him being a 5* is he is the latest in a string of "get them to 450 and stop" allowing me to save CP/LL for bigger and better characters.

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

I actually think a so called joke character was a little due I. The 5 tier, but I'd of liked him to have a bit more damage output. His green is certainly a nice tool to have on any roster. I'd also like to see a 5* Rocket, maybe he could be stand alone or work like Cloak and Dagger. One of the abilities swaps him out for Groot.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@Borstock said:

Me neither.

It does beg the question: Could/should this have been a 4* release? Maybe. Obviously the Devs love the character, joke or not.

We have an interesting period coming up with GotG3. Will we get a 5* Racoon? Will we get a dog with a space hat on? Maybe a superhero otter? Or will we get the (at least comic book version) very very boring High Evolutionary. I know which ones I have my fingers crossed for. B)

ALL OF THE ABOVE!
    Right now please.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

So if it is OK for them all to be ridiculous then what is wrong with a superhero shark? If we got Lockheed then no doubt that would be OK because pet dragons are not at all silly because blah blah X-men.

I'm fine with the rest of them, but do not go disparaging Lockheed or the X-Men!

Besides, who do you think Jeff calls when he needs help?

• DAZ0273
    Options

Who is the Octopus?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I can't get over how utterly ADORABLE he is.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    Who is the Octopus?

That’s the flerken I believe. Carol Danvers “cat”

• DAZ0273
    Options

Oh ah right.

Can we have an Octopus please Marvel?

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Glockoma said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    Who is the Octopus?

Correct, that's the Flerken.

It's Tippy Toe, Old Lace, Lucky, Chewie, Alligator Loki, and Lockheed

• Alex502
    Alex502 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options

@rainkingucd said:

@Glockoma said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    Who is the Octopus?

Correct, that's the Flerken.

It's Tippy Toe, Old Lace, Lucky, Chewie, Alligator Loki, and Lockheed

As a note to this, Alligator Loki doesn't have any of the affiliations with this team in MPQ, and that's a miss. If they bring any of these other characters in, they really need to change that for him. Frankly a Pet Avengers team affiliation would kind of interesting, but only if they do something better than the passive % boosts that aren't working.

• DAZ0273
    Options

I think maybe because he is the Disney plus version. Affiliations are a bit mixed up across all the different sources drawn from. I would be happy if they had all possible affiliations across the sources myself.

I still don't understand two of the original four Defenders not having that affiliation despite being the comic book versions for example.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,923 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Does Jeff’s passive affect himself if paired with another symbiote? Does he get the boost for being a symbiote even when not paired with another one? Or is he just giving out boosts to Carnage and Knull in the 5* tier?

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I have Jeff at lvl460 (thanks Gwenpool!) so I tried him out a bit in PvE.

His green is pretty good, the healing and match damage increase are both noticeable. The problem is that there are fights where you literally cannot use it. If you try to cast it and there are no targetable tiles on the board, you get the popup that says you just can't. I wish they'd stop doing stuff like that, it would be better if the power did something, even if it was something that's just ok.

Red is fine, if a little overcosted for the number it does. Purple is pretty bad. The damage is low and the other effects really aren't enough to make up for the cost.

I'd say Jeff is a counter character only. If the enemies you're fighting make special tiles he can target, then he's worth using. If not, he doesn't really bring enough to the table -- you're just getting a mediocre red and a pretty bad purple.

• Daredevil217
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    Does Jeff’s passive affect himself if paired with another symbiote? Does he get the boost for being a symbiote even when not paired with another one? Or is he just giving out boosts to Carnage and Knull in the 5* tier?

@entrailbucket

Can you test this for me?

I did a write-up for my rankings guide (obviously theory-crafting until I actually champ him), but I read him almost exactly like you do. Purple is trash. Red is good. But not any better than the tons of good red powers we have. Green is the interesting power that sets him apart. You can build around it offensively if you really like the shark. Play him with someone who spams charged tiles or protect tiles or a Polaris team, and you can get that match damage up. Though if playing the green offensively you need to convert 25 tiles to get a Colossus like boost and 50 tiles to get his match damage boost to where Chasm’s is on turn 1 (which is insane because that’s not even mentioned when people discuss how OP Chasm is).

• entrailbucket
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

@Daredevil217 said:

@entrailbucket

Can you test this for me?

I did a write-up for my rankings guide (obviously theory-crafting until I actually champ him), but I read him almost exactly like you do. Purple is trash. Red is good. But not any better than the tons of good red powers we have. Green is the interesting power that sets him apart. You can build around it offensively if you really like the shark. Play him with someone who spams charged tiles or protect tiles or a Polaris team, and you can get that match damage up. Though if playing the green offensively you need to convert 25 tiles to get a Colossus like boost and 50 tiles to get his match damage boost to where Chasm’s is on turn 1 (which is insane because that’s not even mentioned when people discuss how OP Chasm is).

I hate testing these powers because it's not super obvious when they're active. I tried a Jeff/Carnage team and Carnage didn't appear to get any buff to his match damage from Jeff. Jeff himself also didn't benefit.

Soooooo...we can't tell if it affects Jeff because it's currently not working at all.

Edit: to clarify, Carnage shows in my roster as having 1107 black match damage. A black match-3 with Jeff in the team did 3321 damage. So there was no change from the base.

• Daredevil217
    Options

Ugh that’s annoying. Add him to the list. I appreciate you testing!

Just as an FYI for the future, if you click on the character in the match itself it will show their damage for each tile with buffs included. My Okoye for example does 568 teamup damage but clicking on her in match itself shows her doing 1079 team-up damage (because the passive buff is applied). Doing it this way involves no math!

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    Ugh that’s annoying. Add him to the list. I appreciate you testing!

Just as an FYI for the future, if you click on the character in the match itself it will show their damage for each tile with buffs included. My Okoye for example does 568 teamup damage but clicking on her in match itself shows her doing 1079 team-up damage (because the passive buff is applied). Doing it this way involves no math!

Ha, I didn't know about that. So yeah, testing this way I can confirm that at least for 5* Carnage, in the Hunt PvE, Jeff's passive doesn't increase his match damage. I don't know if it's reducing damage, or if it's working on other characters.