New Supports Experience Blog

Options

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

"Players just want to have fun with meta teams, which is not what this game is about!"

• ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 162 Tile Toppler
    Options

let's not forget that starting a match with ap from supports is based on chance... except the ai will have 100% while the player has the advertised percentage...

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2023
    Options

@ViralCore said:
    let's not forget that starting a match with ap from supports is based on chance... except the ai will have 100% while the player has the advertised percentage...

I think maybe have inadvertently found the dev's solution, to the ap generating supports. Just reduce their percentage on defense. Cap it at 10% at 5*

I think this way they don't focus all their efforts towards balancing older supports and they can create new support with interesting mechanics.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options

It's possible they could limit the amount of AP gain between boosts and supports to, say, 6. I thought I read something in one of the devs' comments alluding to this but i don't remember what it was, exactly.

They could also restrict what supports are permitted in PvP (somewhat analogously to how teamups are restricted -- only certain characters and powers can be donated). Another possibility would be to have two or three classes of supports -- those for PvE, those for PvP, and hybrids.

It just isn't realistic to think that someone will be able to use, say, a 5* Sanctum in PvP the same way it's used in PvE.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If they limit AP generation, honestly, this is all fine.

Even if they don't initially limit AP generation, I really think they're going to have to do it eventually. The fact that it'd stack with boosts just means that some teams/combos would be way too fast on offense, and the AP generating supports would also make certain defensive teams very RNG-dependent.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Supports granting AP at the start of battle aren't as good as mentioned.
    If you played Kang squad, they have a % and there will be lot of times when no support is activated even having 2 granting yellow.
    On PvE is easy, just quit it quickly and retry. But on pvp is not so easy option to quit.
    On the other hand, a chahulk team doesn't need any AP and the supports chosen for them only will be the ones to make them even more annoying, damaging more or having protects.
    So no support will fix an already OP team, imo, chahulk will be everywhere exactly as they are now.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,710 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Bad said:

On the other hand, a chahulk team doesn't need any AP and the supports chosen for them only will be the ones to make them even more annoying, damaging more or having protects.

I always use yellow AP on every member of my team when I run Chahulk. I can then heal okoye and gather up more TU AP. I usually start with enough yellow in the bank for at least one yellow ready to fire.

Also if something goes wrong, I just pop onto a trivial node and heal okoye up for free with the yellow AP supports.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Bad said:
    If you played Kang squad, they have a % and there will be lot of times when no support is activated even having 2 granting yellow.
    On PvE is easy, just quit it quickly and retry. But on pvp is not so easy option to quit.
    So no support will fix an already OP team, imo, chahulk will be everywhere exactly as they are now.

Yup, plenty of +ability damage for Hulk and +heal for Chasm.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bad said:

It is when there are a significant group of players whose main reason for playing PvP is to troll everyone else. I can (but won't) name several players who enjoy nothing more than savagely picking on individual players over and over again. For them, the RNG based built-in retreats will just make it easier for them to dump points and hit you even harder.

• entrailbucket
    Options

When I'm trying to dump points, it wouldn't matter if supports fire or not -- I start the match and immediately retreat.

I don't think it'd be very good strategy to retreat to someone you're trying to snipe just because your supports didn't trigger. I certainly wouldn't -- it seems counterproductive. By the time you retreat, q them again, and start the second match, they might already have reshielded, with a few bonus points from your retreat.

• Borstock
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    When I'm trying to dump points, it wouldn't matter if supports fire or not -- I start the match and immediately retreat.

I don't think it'd be very good strategy to retreat to someone you're trying to snipe just because your supports didn't trigger. I certainly wouldn't -- it seems counterproductive. By the time you retreat, q them again, and start the second match, they might already have reshielded, with a few bonus points from your retreat.

My comment was primarily based on two assumptions:

1: the person hitting you is coming from below, so the retreat costs them much less than if they re-queue and catch you still out

2: the worst case scenario for supports in PvP where players who choose violence every event can exploit Quicksilver-fast wins to hammer someone on a shield hop

I admit that idk if 2 is true. I can see where supports break PvP. I can see where they don't. It was more of a hypothetical scenario.

• entrailbucket
    Options

1 probably won't be a thing, unless people are still doing really really long cupcake-eating hops, or your particular snipers are really weird/bad at the game.

2 is absolutely true though. It'll definitely make sniping faster for those matches where the sniper's supports trigger. Of course, your supports will make your hop faster if they trigger, too, so that %chance is going to determine an awful lot on either side.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

1 is still a thing in s1 and s3.
    Both the 30 minute "hops" and the bad snipers.
    I mean, you know how Beast likes to go for leisurely strolls.

• Borstock
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    1 probably won't be a thing, unless people are still doing really really long cupcake-eating hops, or your particular snipers are really weird/bad at the game.

2 is absolutely true though. It'll definitely make sniping faster for those matches where the sniper's supports trigger. Of course, your supports will make your hop faster if they trigger, too, so that %chance is going to determine an awful lot on either side.

I primarily play in s1. It is VERY a thing.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Yeah, I'm guessing it's unlikely that the devs will view "unable to trivially score 5000 points per event" as a downside of this.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Some player in reddit mentioned that supports that have true healing have been nerfed by 50%. I don't have access to my account now, so I can't verify it.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

Not on my end. Still good on Carol’s Communicator at least

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Some player in reddit mentioned that supports that have true healing have been nerfed by 50%. I don't have access to my account now, so I can't verify it.

That seems to be the side effect of the Mutant affiliation perk on Krakoa firing, not supports in general.