New Supports Experience Blog

Options

Comments

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@Tony_Foot said:
    No one wanted them to bypass the approval process, they wanted them to hold off any releases until the information was available. You just keep making stuff up to bash 'players'.

I didn't care if it took another week to release. In the same way I don't care if they take longer to release content that works and doesn't break the game. Is that too much to ask for?

I honestly don't know why anyone bothers to engage with Hound anymore. He doesn't have real conversations, he doesn't reply to things people have actually said, he just makes strawmen arguments replying to things that imaginary "players" have said in his imagination. It's just a waste of time. No one is ever going to change his mind about anything, he's living in his own world where "players" are constantly attacking the omnipotent and benevolent devs.

This is solid advice. I started to respond directly and this was a good reminder of how counterproductive it is.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,131 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Mod mode off

Here is the double-edged sword of comms. Players want info and there are channels to get that info immediately rather than waiting for the "official" announcement. Me being a mod on here is irrelevant to some degree - I asked a question on discord and it got answered. I repeated that answer here.

My personal view on the blog announcement is this: if supports in PvP was a year away because of UI changes and it wasn't announced for 9 months, people would say it should've been announced here as the strategy for supports going forward. I don't know where the UI is on the roadmap. I don't know if it will stay there. I'm guessing it's sufficiently far enough away to not be able to put any timescales on it. So announcing the intention is right at this moment in time. They clearly want supports to be an integral and interesting part of the game and PvP is a big part of that, so they tried to join up the player base by getting everyone excited for the journey ahead.

It's not lying, it's not misinformation, it's not people misunderstanding the data or the messaging. It's a point in time assessment and that's a little fluid depending on how you are looking at it.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The level of complexity this brings to PVP specifically seems unlikely to invite more players to PVP if that is the goal. That being said, Supports are a very odd partial implementation currently so I think it's something we can adapt to over time if they become a vibrant part of the game. I assume that as long as the leveling/acquisition plan for them is acceptable then it could be cool, but I'm leery of them rolling it all out completely smoothly all at once.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I assume that end of battle on turn one is not going to be the average player experience either on defence or offence. Supports offer a new opportunity to provide counters without making changes to characters so from that point of view this could be a big opportunity if implemented carefully. I am not sure how you address the imbalance of already owned Supports giving an initial advantage as presumably levelling Supports is not going to be a quick thing.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

Supports being un-sellable and un-duplicatable, and requiring no currency to roster them creates some interesting implications for how long they should take to roster and grow. LIke it already takes most of a year for an active player to go from "not on roster" to "champed" through direct sharding and feeder sharding a classic 5* character, and the Support acquisition situation is just atrocious at this point. I think i've pulled an upgrade level for a single support out of the support store in the last....year or two maybe? going from 2-3* ? Otherwise i'm overwhelmingly getting them all to 3* via support circuit because they so rarely hit 4 and 5*.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options

The upside to this is that there will be a lot more options out there in the strong alliance families to be a pvp-free player when this all goes live. I'll give it a go for a week or two and might grind to first cp but I'll be done with shielding and trying to attain some sort of ranking in PVP at all.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you have such a hard time dealing with AI that has supports, just follow some other player's suggestion, use Riri/mThor to stun lock every players, thanks to +10-12 green aps from supports. You'll be able go infinite stun against most teams, including double 672 teams. There are more options out there. Players would be able to punch up against most teams with this duos.

• AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    If you have such a hard time dealing with AI that has supports, just follow some other player's suggestion, use Riri/mThor to stun lock every players, thanks to +10-12 green aps from supports. You'll be able go infinite stun against most teams, including double 672 teams. There are more options out there. Players would be able to punch up against most teams with this duos.

...you realise that you would then see all those same mThorRiri teams with +10-12 green aps from supports on defense as well, right? Does that sound balanced to you or fun to fight? Do you want "ready to stunlock you from turn 1" to be the new meta? Because personally I think that sounds terrible and is a great argument for the AP gain ones to be offense-only at least, if nothing else.

• DarwinNunez
    DarwinNunez Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options

So I've got to ask. I keep seeing people who have been playing for ten years and are big spenders who are going to leave after every new announcement. Like what exactly are you spending your money on? You all moan if you have to use a healthpsck yet somehow you're keeping this community alive with your massive wealth.

All i know is if the condescending tosser on reddit is totally against supports in pvp then I'm all for them.

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Maybe I missed something in their announcement: I only see a little bit about PVP and one line about changing the UI to see supports on defense. I don't see it saying that the defensive team necessarily uses the same supports as the player had on offense.

If the defending team had random (applicable) supports, like the random team-up they get assigned, that would make it a lot more palatable. Because as others have noted, there are big problems with just using them exactly as the player did on offense.

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options

Interesting changes if implemented correctly and with a lot of testing ahead of launch. Like A LOT OF TESTING. Which traditionally has not always been a strength for either developer. With the limited info we have I'm definitely not with the pitchforks crowd but do have some apprehension. Did I mention testing?

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It's not the end of the world and it's not going to kill PvP. It is going to have a lot of predictable effects and some unpredictable effects. I think overall it'll speed matches up somewhat and also it'll empower certain very strong combos (much more than they already are empowered).

I definitely don't think it's a good thing, though.

I doubt anyone will quit the game over it, because nobody ever quits this game (especially the people who really probably should quit because they don't like it very much).

• Carnifex
    Carnifex Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2023
    Options

I wonder if having supports in PVP could be made optional? For example, when choosing your time bracket the player is then given the option of joining a Supports allowed/disabled bracket. I feel this could solve the dilemma for a lot of people, but I understand this would also result in fewer players per bracket.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Carnifex said:
    I wonder if having supports in PVP could be made optional? For example, when choosing your time bracket the player is then given the option of joining a Supports allowed/disabled bracket. I feel this could solve the dilemma for a lot of people, but I understand this would also result in fewer players per bracket.

Or have different pvp events. Lightning rounds can be the starting ground to experiment pvp gameplay with special rules (eg. no boosts, limited rosters and supports, hazard tiles etc).

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 377 Mover and Shaker
    Options

So with the new supports having more of a connection with character affiliations does that also mean we’re not that far away from a filter being added to the game that allows us to see who fits in each affiliation as well?

And secondly, since more are going to be released in the near future and how much easier it will be to actually upgrade them will we see an addition to rewards for leveling up supports in the milestones?

• allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options

Welp, this will make PVP more pay to win. I can't wait for a $75 offer that has infinity stones in it.