New Supports Experience Blog

Options

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options

@allen_koholic said:
    Welp, this will make PVP more pay to win. I can't wait for a $75 offer that has infinity stones in it.

That would be an incredible value tbh and I'd buy it no problem. It costs more than a stark for shields to even try for a season finish high enough to earn a stone and then you have the politics of actually getting there to untangle. Not to mention a roster that can handle its MMR well enough to hop that many times. $75 bucks would be really cheap.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

@revskip said:

@allen_koholic said:
    Welp, this will make PVP more pay to win. I can't wait for a $75 offer that has infinity stones in it.

That would be an incredible value tbh and I'd buy it no problem. It costs more than a stark for shields to even try for a season finish high enough to earn a stone and then you have the politics of actually getting there to untangle. Not to mention a roster that can handle its MMR well enough to hop that many times. $75 bucks would be really cheap.

I cannot even imagine the reaction something like this would cause among the crowd who paid hundreds of dollars (or more) in shields and spent innumerable hours politicking (and some time playing, I guess) to win the Infinity Stone supports.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options

Are there any plans to roster multiples of the same support or once a support is added to character it is applied to all copies of that said character?

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    Overall, I’m going to take a wait and see approach with this. I think it’ll just create a bunch more broken combos personally, and the developers don’t seem to know how to rein that in. The arms race just got real folks. So here are some obvious questions (many already asked):

1. How are supports going to be upgraded?
    2. Can we target/shard/upgrade any supports we don’t own (Infinity Stones)?
    3. Will Chasm nerf beginning of the game perks that supports give?
    4. It appears there are plans to upgrade old supports (ie turn flat damage into percent increases- yay!) but are there plans to nerf any (don’t you dare touch my Sharron/Shang combo)?
    5. Any plans to change the number of daily swaps you can make with supports (I always thought this was dumb)?
    6. Was there any testing before making the decision to implement supports in PVP?
    1. More to come
    2. ??
    3. ??
    4. I’m confused. So they’ll change but keep the same flavor. So no nerfs?
    5. ??
    6. Sounds like no

@IceIX any chance you could answer 2, 3, 5 and clarify 4? I’m really interested in Chasm because he’ll be even more must-play than now (if possible) and I really want to move away from Chas-matches even with Kamar-Taj being a thing.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1. sounds like not yet, we will be doing that testing across the next six months as a team.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It sounds like they don't know those answers yet either. Dunno if that's good or bad, I guess it depends on your viewpoint.

Anyway I'm glad they're planning to make changes/redo existing supports. The only truly problematic support abilities for PvP are "generate X AP of Y color at the start of the fight." I think there are a couple more that have a chance of giving extra AP on a match, too. Everything else is either totally inconsequential or barely noticeable.

If they change all those abilities, we're good. That will "ruin PvE" for some people, but...eh.

• ShionSinX
    ShionSinX Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options

Personally, I'd like to see some things being standarized all around. For example, having supports that increase (example) 18% match damage of one color, then one for each combo of 2 colors that increases 9% in both and one for each combination of 3 colors that increases 6% for each.

Then lets say the red-yellow one has a chance each turn (or on match4 or greater perhaps) to make a strike tile, then green-blue makes an attack tile on the same ocasion and one black-purple that makes a protect tile.

Things like that.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

@IceIX said:

@Daredevil217 said:

@Daredevil217 said:
    Overall, I’m going to take a wait and see approach with this. I think it’ll just create a bunch more broken combos personally, and the developers don’t seem to know how to rein that in. The arms race just got real folks. So here are some obvious questions (many already asked):

1. How are supports going to be upgraded?
    2. Can we target/shard/upgrade any supports we don’t own (Infinity Stones)?
    3. Will Chasm nerf beginning of the game perks that supports give?
    4. It appears there are plans to upgrade old supports (ie turn flat damage into percent increases- yay!) but are there plans to nerf any (don’t you dare touch my Sharron/Shang combo)?
    5. Any plans to change the number of daily swaps you can make with supports (I always thought this was dumb)?
    6. Was there any testing before making the decision to implement supports in PVP?
    1. More to come
    2. ??
    3. ??
    4. I’m confused. So they’ll change but keep the same flavor. So no nerfs?
    5. ??
    6. Sounds like no

@IceIX any chance you could answer 2, 3, 5 and clarify 4? I’m really interested in Chasm because he’ll be even more must-play than now (if possible) and I really want to move away from Chas-matches even with Kamar-Taj being a thing.

1 - Answered. Rank up as at current + Shards to rank up.
    2 - Current plan is to mimic Favorite Heroes, but it's possible we could lock certain Supports off of favoriting (as with Limited characters).
    3 - Start of battle AP from Supports is the same as start of battle AP from Boosts. So same result.
    4 - There's a lot of flat damage stuff that doesn't scale well between character rarities and a lot of copied functionality between Supports that can be equipped at the same time that makes little sense. We want Supports to be fairly unique next to one another and have them be able to grow with your Roster. (Absolutely not an announcement, purely hyperbole for illustration) If you had a level 700 character, what good is Destroyer Gun doing creating a strength 400 tile when your match damage is sitting at 10K a match? That's the kind of thing we want to make more regular.
    5 - Quite possibly, still finalizing that but it makes sense to do so.
    6 - Yes, in the extent that we are sure it works mechanically and that we know some of the outliers at the outset, and thus where we should initially be focusing on counterplay so as to keep things from instantly spiraling out of control.

Thanks for sharing these details.

• Will Supports change MMR? For instance, I'm returning to the game after 2.5yrs so I missed alot of time getting supports (getting characters is easier). I'll be severely behind players of similar roster than me. I'm afraid I won't be able to compete if supports are added to defense.

• Shards sounds great, but it'll favor the players that hoarded support tokens. Will there be a new store for the updated supports to prevent this?

• With Supports gaining AP, is your team considering tweaking AP boosts? I played back at a time you could do +5 AP boosts but it was nerfed to +2.

• Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options

@IceIX said:

2 - Current plan is to mimic Favorite Heroes, but it's possible we could lock certain Supports off of favoriting (as with Limited characters).

Would it be possible to have certain supports locked from being favourited if you didn’t have them, but still have it possible to level them up if you already had them? i.e. make it so that you couldn’t earn them that way, but you could rank them up?

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

6 months rollout... Just in time for MPQ Anniversary: Supports Shards and "Covers" in anniversary store? By then, new supports and updated classic supports will be available. Support + new pvp mmr has the potential to shake things up. There would be more varieties in pvps and new metas will be easier to deal with. The default fuss-free counter team could be Riri/mThor. It's probably time to make a list of characters who can stun using non-blue powers.

Will the dev remove 5* boost (in pvps) once supports are fully rolled out?

• Itsmeabxab
    Itsmeabxab Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options

$upport$

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think Support can shake things up in terms of varieties in pvps. There would be more glass cannons out there because of the speed that supports provide. Most players play for wins so they won't be too bothered by defensive losses.. Removing boost in pvp will help somewhat for newer players with limited champed 5* who want to hit 1200 in fewer wins. They could experiment removing boosts from pvps and see how supports affect varieties. By then, Chasm is history. By October, 550 players would have unloaded their LTs/CPs on the next meta set.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    I think Support can shake things up in terms of varieties in pvps. There would be more glass cannons out there because of the speed that supports provide. Most players play for wins so they won't be too bothered by defensive losses.. Removing boost in pvp will help somewhat for newer players with limited champed 5* who want to hit 1200 in fewer wins. They could experiment removing boosts from pvps and see how supports affect varieties. By then, Chasm is history. By October, 550 players would have unloaded their LTs/CPs on the next meta set.

Players not being bothered by defense losses is likely untrue. Besides the aggravation of seeing the dreaded -100+ pop-up, personally I go for Wins, but I still need at least 800pts for T50-100. In addition, alliance PvP requirements need to be taken into consideration. I am already seeing hybrid alliances considering dropping PvP requirements due to these changes.

We'll see what happens, but this is the biggest PvP change I've seen in.. forever. While the devs are doing a slow rollout over time, if it's anything like the recent rollout of 7-day events, this will be a huge backlash. They need this to be a homerun