Autopilot

MrDupaTM
MrDupaTM Posts: 67 Match Maker

Hey devs, can you maybe start doing something about the autopilot characters? I just don’t get it, with recently introduced characters of She-Thor and Chasm the game is no longer a match-3 puzzle, it is now a sit down and hope for better random matches done by the AI. There’s no skill needed anymore as your Mighty Thor does the job for you.

There’s even no point in boosting heroes as people prefer to pick Chasm+Mighty Thor without a boost over other booster 5* anyway.

Then there’s all these “unkillable” chars, who thought having 3 respawning heroes to be a good idea.

There’s no point of taking Thor, Black Panther, Spider-Man - staple Marvel Superheroes are a joke in this game. I’d rather come back to the times of busted Polaris.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Chasm + Thor over boosted characters is something new to me. I thought it was Chasm/iHulk. I can't remember any conversation about Chasm + Thor being all over pvps.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

I was expecting a nerf Chasm post given the boost list in PvP. It is a welcome surprise to get mThor added. I’m not sure she is meta in PvP at all. Even boosted she isn’t deterring hits as I have seen more iShulk with Chasm over everything. She certainly isn’t meta in PvE, though she might have been close if Riri could use Arc Reactor and the animations for exploding tiles were removed. I also want to point out that going back to the Polaris meta is easy. You MMR is based on your 3 or 5 highest leveled characters. Sell those 5s and you’ll be right back there since Polaris reigns in the 4* MMR.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,592 Chairperson of the Boards

Let’s just make a new thread with everything we don’t like.

I’ll start please devs don’t let PvE opponents make matches or generate AP. Also devs please make sure every PvP character I fight is 200 levels below me. thx in advance

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards

@dianetics said:
    Let’s just make a new thread with everything we don’t like.

I’ll start please devs don’t let PvE opponents make matches or generate AP. Also devs please make sure every PvP character I fight is 200 levels below me. thx in advance

Now try making your point without being mean.

I hate Chasm and I hate the revive meta. But I personally feel that the game has been an "autopilot" game for most of its lifespan and AT LEAST as long as the Hulkoye meta has been around. Probably longer.

The fundamental nature of the game is such that complexity is too slow to be any kind of viable competitive option. For example, there are plenty of interesting combinations you can play with in PvE that will win matches, as long as you don't mind finishing t50-t100.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,638 Chairperson of the Boards

The game has been dominated by "autopilot" teams since it pre-launched in 2013. Of course they were much less "autopilot" back then because passives weren't as powerful, but in PvP, teams that the AI plays well have ruled, because of course they would.

I'd separate speed and defense to some degree here, because they're not necessarily the same thing. Speed teams rule PvE, defense teams rule PvP. This is why you see slow teams like SW/Colossus and Chasm/Hulk in PvP. The top PvE teams don't get used in PvP because they're generally really bad on defense.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,592 Chairperson of the Boards

@Borstock said:
    Now try making your point without being mean.

I’m not trying to be mean. It’s just the same complaints for the metas for years now.
    Whether you like it or not these teams are here and you have to adapt. At least for the short term.

I agree it is an auto pilot game for PvP not as much for PvE though.

I think it is terrible that Chasm is on the nose right now and he leaks into every thread.

• entrailbucket

Chasm "leaks" into every thread because he's way too good. The same happened with every other overpowered character they've ever done, and people are right to complain about them.

At the same time, if you're concerned the devs will...make him worse...as a result of these complaints, the previous regime demonstrated over and over again that they won't ever address those complaints. This makes sense -- 5* players are a tiny minority of the playerbase, they don't need us, and we don't really impact the bottom line. If a character starts causing problems for the 95% they'll act pretty quickly.

It remains to be seen if the new devs will act any differently, but I highly doubt it. Let people complain, they're just screaming into the void.

• entrailbucket

@HoundofShadow said:
    Chasm + Thor over boosted characters is something new to me. I thought it was Chasm/iHulk. I can't remember any conversation about Chasm + Thor being all over pvps.

I didn't understand this team either until someone explained it to me. I think I know who OP is, and he's a very high level player. With Chasm at lvl672 (550 + the boost), his match damage becomes completely insane -- a black match does like 40,000 damage or something silly. Charged tiles do triple match damage. So Thor is just there to charge a few tiles, hopefully in Chasm's colors.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards

Bishop was a 5* only problem, mostly perpetuated by 5* players who wrongly claimed that 4* rosters were "punching up," (how could they even see the 5* rosters?!?!) and thus ruining things for them so they nerfed him. Chasm arguably effects more than one tier of play. Personally I am sure they will figure something out without needing to ruin him but his AP drain is a deeply anti-fun power so I can sort of see the grumbles even though there are workarounds. Of course disclaimer I use him on defence, lol! #beingpartoftheproblem

• entrailbucket

@DAZ0273 said:
    Bishop was a 5* only problem, mostly perpetuated by 5* players who wrongly claimed that 4* rosters were "punching up," (how could they even see the 5* rosters?!?!) and thus ruining things for them so they nerfed him. Chasm arguably effects more than one tier of play. Personally I am sure they will figure something out without needing to ruin him but his AP drain is a deeply anti-fun power so I can sort of see the grumbles even though there are workarounds. Of course disclaimer I use him on defence, lol! #beingpartoftheproblem

You're right -- they did get around to fixing Bishop eventually. I suppose I shouldn't have said they'd never do anything about 5* players' complaints. It just took forever because it wasn't any kind of priority for them, and that's understandable. They fixed Gambit eventually too, but it was after most players had already moved on to the next thing.

Anyway, the real fix for every overpowered character is the weekly boosts. That's why I can't get too wound up about this stuff anymore. Like, Chasm's boost week sucks, but it's one week. Every other week I can trivially demolish Chasm with, like, a +100lvl Iron Man or Phoenix or some other ancient goof. I don't know why more players don't take advantage of the boosted characters, but the devs have given us the tools.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:

@HoundofShadow said:

I didn't understand this team either until someone explained it to me. I think I know who OP is, and he's a very high level player. With Chasm at lvl672 (550 + the boost), his match damage becomes completely insane -- a black match does like 40,000 damage or something silly. Charged tiles do triple match damage. So Thor is just there to charge a few tiles, hopefully in Chasm's colors.

Thank you, suddenly this makes a lot more sense.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:

@HoundofShadow said:

There are a couple of perspectives here worth discussing.

MT+Chasm is a relatively fast climbing team. But is a vulnerable floating team. So people who are climbing through A's will use alot more MT+Chasm. They usually trying to power through a clog or get to a shield etc. Playing with a purpose if you will.

Shulk + Chasm is a great hopping team against grills. This team is slower but safer compared to MT+Chasm. Against a lower heath Grill, that speed drawback isn't so glaring. It also has the benefit of exposing chasm and a reviver. So its also a great floating combo especially with the current god boosts. You can force someone to go through alot of Health and put them at risk of a stalled out Chasm match.

If it came down to a choice of MT Chasm or Shulk/Chasm at equivalent levels. I hit the the MT-Chasm first, every time over revier/Chasm.

So I can see alot of different justifications for the various combos and it all depends on if they are floating hopping, trying to power through A teams, or waiting for a trail of grills etc,,,

• entrailbucket

Oh, no...I was just explaining what that team did. At first glance I thought it was bad. I couldn't understand why anyone would use them together because Thor seems to want to generate AP and Chasm seems to want to destroy it. I (and apparently others) didn't consider the match damage part of it.

PS can we please call them "cupcakes" again? "Grill" is utter nonsense. A cupcake is a babytalk word for a baby match that babies fight, and that's what those are.

• Bowgentle
    edited January 2023

I liked Sham's salads.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

I said quite a lot on the thread the chahulk meta.
    No problem! I can say it in more words.
    I thought this was "our characters " week godboost. Actually is "chasm and pick one of ours characters "godboost.
    It's a character who can be killed the first of his team by 2 characters, equipping a lot of AP boost, also there are thanos and there are a few others wannabe who can situationally win him. Ergo: he still doesn't have a valid counter.
    And about the "stalled out chasm match". Thats a funny situation when he is godboosted. He must be killed the last for a 97% of the other characters in the game, but it can't be done because: he regenerates too much, already the board and filled with void tiles the player will be drained of any scrapped AP useful for their colors. Outcome: the player quits after x amount of time.
    Wonderful! Broken!

• Bowgentle

@Bad said:
    I said quite a lot on the thread the chahulk meta.
    No problem! I can say it in more words.
    I thought this was "our characters " week godboost. Actually is "chasm and pick one of ours characters "godboost.
    It's a character who can be killed the first of his team by 2 characters, equipping a lot of AP boost, also there are thanos and there are a few others wannabe who can situationally win him. Ergo: he still doesn't have a valid counter.
    And about the "stalled out chasm match". Thats a funny situation when he is godboosted. He must be killed the last for a 97% of the other characters in the game, but it can't be done because: he regenerates too much, already the board and filled with void tiles the player will be drained of any scrapped AP useful for their colors. Outcome: the player quits after x amount of time.
    Wonderful! Broken!

Or you could, you know, go in with your Chasm half dead and easily kill the other Chasm after you used up all the Abyss tiles.
    But you do you.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bowgentle said:

Or you could, you know, go in with your Chasm half dead and easily kill the other Chasm after you used up all the Abyss tiles.
    But you do you.

Yeah, chasm vs chasm is another character who SITUATIONALLY can win him.
    I counted that too.

• entrailbucket
    edited January 2023

@Bowgentle said:
    I liked Sham's salads.

"Cupcake" is a term from American college football -- huge schools with $100million football budgets choose their own opponents, and they play a few games every year against schools who can barely afford proper equipment. They win these games by a score of like 124-3. This is a "cupcake" game. The guys who named MPQ cupcakes were college football fans.

The problem is that the term loses its connotation outside of that specific culture, so a lot of players never understood what it meant, beyond "different fights are food now," and it all just degenerated into nonsense from there.

Anyway, I prefer "cupcake," as I really enjoy the idea of people who consider themselves to be big, important, self-serious, super tough MPQ killers sitting down at a child's tea party to eat cupcakes.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:
    "different fights are food now,"

ROFLCOPTER!!!!!!!!!