What's New MPQ: January 2023 (Updated 1/18/23)

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards

I see that it is Call the Swarm time again.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:

At least she's a Technologist so she plays well with Deathlok?

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 270 Mover and Shaker

Brb seems like the clear winner. It will be interesting to see if there will be a lot of brbasm or brb Polaris in PvP.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,638 Chairperson of the Boards

What happened to the "weekly buff week ##" threads? I miss those!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards

I really want to run Goblin, but his health is just so low even boosted he isn't hyper survivable.

• entrailbucket

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I really want to run Goblin, but his health is just so low even boosted he isn't hyper survivable.

He has to be in line for one of the buffs soon, and he's really easy to fix! Just fixing his health and match damage would pretty much do it.

It would be really cool if they coordinated the buff release with each character's boost week.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

@entrailbucket said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

He has to be in line for one of the buffs soon, and he's really easy to fix! Just fixing his health and match damage would pretty much do it.

It would be really cool if they coordinated the buff release with each character's boost week.

Really needs the silly CD lockout on the Glider changed too. It just gets destroyed too easily in the modern game (JThor, Kitty. Half-Thor etc). If it needs a lockout to prevent spamming then keep that part but don't make it a CD, just make it something internal that counts down.

KGB

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Just give him away status like Wong.

• entrailbucket

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Really needs the silly CD lockout on the Glider changed too. It just gets destroyed too easily in the modern game (JThor, Kitty. Half-Thor etc). If it needs a lockout to prevent spamming then keep that part but don't make it a CD, just make it something internal that counts down.

KGB

Or lean into it! It's ok for it to have a downside/lockout like that if it does something completely insane. Maybe it has a really crazy high damage/AP ratio, or they make it AOE, or it returns AP or has some other super awesome effect.

Unique characters that are thematic are fun, but powers with a big cost or downside need to have a commensurate upside to make them feel worthwhile.

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 723 Critical Contributor

@DAZ0273 said:

Let's guess who's gonna be happy as child during summer break?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards

We all making a pact to play Wa5p exclusively to skew those usage stats?

• entrailbucket

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    We all making a pact to play Wa5p exclusively to skew those usage stats?

Mine is lvl522, I'd destroy everyone

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

KGB

It could be like 5* Hawkeye's blue. After Hawkeye runs out of arrows, he just hits you with the bow. After losing the glider, there's no reason GG can't just punch you in the face!

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

5*s who desperately need a rebalance: black Panther, dr strange, black widow, green Goblin, hawkeye, loki, black spider-man, Wolverine, cap Marvel, wasp, and maybe hela and thanos.
    A lot of them are featured on pves. Is this the reason because they aren't rebalanced yet?
    Or is it just a matter of low usage priority?
    Speculations and speculations.

• HoundofShadow
    edited January 2023

The dev said they can do 1-3 per month. I doubt anyone in the dev team is going to dedicate 24 hours or 16 hours of their life into rebalancing MPQ characters. Here's the relevant reply from dev in reddit about rebalancing:

"In general though, our current cadence is such that you can expect between 1 and 3 of these a month (the quantity is mostly rooted in complexity of the work). Thus far these have dropped around the last week of the month (but at the moment this is loose timing and there isn't a specific schedule like we have for character releases)."

On the other hand, here's some news about Supports and "these" refers to Supports:

"Correct. We’re getting pretty close to making a big announcement on these. And by close I don’t mean months.*"

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2023

@HoundofShadow said:
    The dev said they can do 1-3 per month. I doubt anyone in the dev team is going to dedicate 24 hours or 16 hours of their life into rebalancing MPQ characters. Here's the relevant reply from dev in reddit about rebalancing:

"In general though, our current cadence is such that you can expect between 1 and 3 of these a month (the quantity is mostly rooted in complexity of the work). Thus far these have dropped around the last week of the month (but at the moment this is loose timing and there isn't a specific schedule like we have for character releases)."

On the other hand, here's some news about Supports and "these" refers to Supports:

"Correct. We’re getting pretty close to making a big announcement on these. And by close I don’t mean months.*"

The weird thing here being that the code must be so labyrinthine that nudging some numbers this way or that is actually tricky. Barring an actual power re-work it FEELS like they should be able to do a global numbers shuffle in a day at most.

• HoundofShadow

Probably because it's not a priority. Your priorities ≠ other players' priorities ≠ dev's priorities.

Alternatively, if rebalancing characters is as easy as doing global number changes, all other game developers won't be receiving complains about how they don't know how to play their own games and how they don't know how to do rebalancing. It's always the players who make things/coding/rebalancing sound so easy.

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

>

Hopefully any changes include the ability to level up supports through the ranks, lower rank dupes of the ones you have giving exp towards the next rank, it is so annoying to keep getting a support you need that due to it's lower rank means that is is practically worthless.

Letting you use multiple versions of supports would also be good since they have not kept up with the amount of characters.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker

@HoundofShadow said:
    Probably because it's not a priority. Your priorities ≠ other players' priorities ≠ dev's priorities.

Alternatively, if rebalancing characters is as easy as doing global number changes, all other game developers won't be receiving complains about how they don't know how to play their own games and how they don't know how to do rebalancing. It's always the players who make things/coding/rebalancing sound so easy.

I mean, neither of those examples make the devs look particularly great, as much as I want to support them.

I'd prefer my take where the code is such a clusterf*ck that they can't easily make sweeping changes like that in an afternoon even if I'd imagine they SHOULD be able to.

• entrailbucket

For whatever reason, they're not just doing straight-up number buffs. All the characters so far have had minor changes to power cost, effects, or both, as well. That takes a bit more time.

Now...why are they doing those power changes? Dunno. A lot of these guys would be just fine if all they did was apply a whatever% boost to every number, and that does seem easier.