The ChaHulk meta

Options

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I dunno, I'm seeing a lot of Knull, Adam and even Thor this PVP.
    And they're a pain.
    So maybe not broken, after all?

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I see more Thor than anything else, I find that odd. I’ve seen two immortal teams at 600 pts.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Boosted Thor is good, at half health he has around 70k Hp so he is a bit more survivable and has an AOE that hits for ~35k with auto acceleration. He’ll be fun with boosted Sighclops after Eye for and Eye wraps up.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I find that Chasm is a real puzzle to deal with and he behaves more like a puzzle than every variation of Puzzle Ops that have been runned. Playing against Chasm is like playing some kind of chess. Sometimes, you've to sacrifice some pawns to move ahead, and by pawns, I don't mean sacrificing a character. You need to sacrifice some moves in order to fire the real move to put him down for good.

Hopefully, @Bad is not referring to me. Lol. Majority of the pick-2 counters I mentioned are made up of 5*, except for the team of Electro/Nick Fury. After reading how you use Wanda against Chasm and how you explain Chasm's black power, it seems like you don't fully understand how his black power works. However, it might be due to translation errors, or you can't be bothered to explain his black power properly.

Anyway, the current and next boost week will be a breeze against Chasm/iHulk.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Bad said:
    Please stop suggesting 4* characters for countering chasm.
    On my MMR if I use a 4* character on pvp, at the end of battle I've had lost more points that those that I've earned.
    SW with her hex is simply ridiculous.
    I use SW ALWAYS against chasm and by the time I can fire her hex, the board is full with void tiles and when he dies the hex expires so actually it makes no difference, just for to minimize his damage.
    Are you suggesting effective things? Or just something for to try to mock us?.
    And yes, we understand how chasm black power works, we have him rostered. The colors to lose are 4, black green and the 2 of your characters strongest color.
    All that doesn't change that we must play chasm's game and not ours.
    I repeat although you can counter chahulk team there is no better team than them.
    If you could fight a smart AI and if they could target your characters, no one would win a chahulk team.
    And that's the reason because they are everywhere and they are broken.

You know, there are 4* players in this game. They are entitled to post about 4* teams. Not everything has to be about you. The title of this thread is not "Help BAD defeat Chasm". You are not a moderator, you don't get to tell us what we can't discuss.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2022
    Options

What is the 4* player experience facing Chasm? I assume he is around partially covered but I’m curious if he is a big problem like that or not. There are so many more 4* powers that can help against him compared to the 5* tier (assuming level parity) that I wonder if he is even an issue.

• Sekilicious
    edited December 2022
    Options

There is a thread on Reddit complaining about lack of variety in PvP and more than a few of the posts are about Polaris. I’m not sure how many of the forum members here are real 4* players (KGB and Skittledaddy don’t qualify anymore, lol).

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@killahKlown said:

You know, there are 4* players in this game. They are entitled to post about 4* teams. Not everything has to be about you. The title of this thread is not "Help BAD defeat Chasm". You are not a moderator, you don't get to tell us what we can't discuss.

As a 5* player, I'm just saying 4* characters countering don't work for me. Can I say it? Or are you a moderator and you won't let me?
    As it's mentioned, almost all forumers are 5* players, or at least they say it, so it's another reason for my argument.
    Now you can discuss anything, you have my permission lol.
    Oh, and I don't need your help to defeat chasm, by the way, but if you feel better you can give me hints ;)

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2022
    Options

@Sekilicious said:
    There is a thread on Reddit complaining about lack of variety in PvP and more than a few of the posts are about Polaris. I’m not sure how many of the forum members here are real 4* players (KGB and Skittledaddy don’t qualify anymore, lol).

Hey Now!

I'm still a 4* player as long as continue to see 4* MRR opponents.

4* MMR (at least mine in the L350 range) consists of the following:
    1) Polaris
    2) JThor
    3) Chasm
    4) Weekly Boosted 5*

Roughly 9/10 teams fall into that category and often you see them combined (ie JThor + Polaris or Chasm + Polaris or boosted 5* + Chasm and so on). The final 1/10 team is something other than those 4 above. Less than 1/20 teams is dual 4* boosted.

The 5* I do see are rarely fully covered (until I hit 600+ points) but typically have 6-10 covers to they are useful. And yes, I see ChaHulk teams once I hit 800ish points and get close to breaking MMR.

I can still reach 25 wins but it takes a LOT of skips to get there now plus a lot of health pack it never used to require.

KGB

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:

Oscorp Spidey and 4* Emma can disable entire targeted enemy's abilities.

Are we really 100% living in Times when SOMEBODY is suggesging using 4* Emma Frost and is not riddiculled, lol-ed or rotfl-ed to death? Beatifull Times. Waiting for Talos and my waifu.

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options

For those of you that have stated Chasm/iHulk is easy to beat in pick 2, people have figured it out, you just need to know how, etc, etc, if you really want to help out how about posting videos of you beating them to help the rest of us apparently less skilled players?

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    I dunno, I'm seeing a lot of Knull, Adam and even Thor this PVP.
    And they're a pain.
    So maybe not broken, after all?

Boosted Knull shuts it down hard. Tried to retal a Knull/Kitty team with my iHulk/Chasm and got absolutely rocked. Then took it out for a spin against a couple of iHulk/Chasm teams and it is real effective.

As usual when Chasm isn't boosted Switch/Colossus, & Electro/Apoc (especially this event where you have a mutant along as a third) both work really well too. You'll eat some healthpacks but it is quicker than mirror matching.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

It's not easy to find Chasm/iHulk team. They got buried by a sea of Thor/Knull and Knull/AW.

• Sekilicious
    edited December 2022
    Options

@KGB said:
    Hey Now!

I'm still a 4* player as long as continue to see 4* MRR opponents.

4* MMR (at least mine in the L350 range) consists of the following:
    1) Polaris
    2) JThor
    3) Chasm
    4) Weekly Boosted 5*

Roughly 9/10 teams fall into that category and often you see them combined (ie JThor + Polaris or Chasm + Polaris or boosted 5* + Chasm and so on). The final 1/10 team is something other than those 4 above. Less than 1/20 teams is dual 4* boosted.

Ok you win, though I was 100% teasing. Your MMR is much different than mine. I do have to say the idea to drop the wins to reach rewards by 25 is a huge quantity of life improvement. 75 wins wasn’t that big of deal when I was in the Polaris MMR but it would have definitely been more annoying in the Chasm MMR.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This week it's expected half chahulk team and half AW/knull, as they are unfriendly to face on. And after 500 points that's what I saw. Chahulk team will wait until next week, they are not in hurry.
    By the way the first pvp in season first slice ended. I was told in off season pvp there were less points. Indeed! 47 points less.
    The points for t50 on my slice has been 897.
    Shall I continue marking it? Or can we already say that the chahulk team has eliminated the points option for a great amount of players?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

I don’t know what it is, but none of these pick-2 teams are really working for me. I have my Jane at 4/4/5, Electro is 5/5/3 (more yellow doesn’t change the AP generation), is this not the right build?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bad said:
    This week it's expected half chahulk team and half AW/knull, as they are unfriendly to face on. And after 500 points that's what I saw. Chahulk team will wait until next week, they are not in hurry.
    By the way the first pvp in season first slice ended. I was told in off season pvp there were less points. Indeed! 47 points less.
    The points for t50 on my slice has been 897.
    Shall I continue marking it? Or can we already say that the chahulk team has eliminated the points option for a great amount of players?

Who cares, these players can go for wins.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

A lot of players were skeptical about Silver Surfer's Black Hole countering Chasm because it costs 12 black aps and it's almost impossible to fire it against them.

First, we need to understand how Chasm's black power work. Chasm will reduce up to 3 aps (1 Abyss tile = 1 ap deduction) of the front character's 6 strongest colours in a specific order: from the highest value to the lowest value.

Why is this important to know? Because it allows you to predict exactly when Chasm will reduce your black aps. Black Hole costs 12 aps, which means it will take at least 4 turns to fire the power and another 3 turns to down him.

Here's the set up:
    +1 all ap , +2 blue/purple, + 2 black/green.
    Now, Silver Surfer's Black Hole cost 9 aps.

If Chasm's build is 5/X/X, the fastest number of turn to take him to eat your black aps is the 3rd turn because he reduces up to 3 ap a turn. If you +2 all ap, it will increase by 1 turn.

If Chasm's build is 4/XX, the fastest number of turn to take him to eat your black aps is the 4th because he reduces up to 2 aps per turn.

Since SS can't be stunned, the first match will always be black/blue/red, and Chasm will always reduce your blue ap first.
    On your second turn, Wanda can use her purple on black to create more black tiles.

After this, it's down to board reading. If you are so unlucky that you can't get any black matches, then use Wanda to tank to delay Chasm reaching your black aps, while she's creating black tiles.

Based on my experience with this particular team, it takes me an average of 5 turns to gather 12 or more black aps, and I would fire it on the 6th turn and Chasm would be downed on your 10th turn. The average time taken to hit 'Victory' is ~2 minutes, which is slightly faster than my Dr Thor/Iceman team. I'm not sure how fast players want a counter team to beat Chasm/iHulk. 1 minute?

As for placement of Black Hole, if you want to play it safe, you can put it at the top right or top left corner. Here's three videos of Wanda/Silver Surfer against Chasm/iHulk. It took me a lot of skips to find them in Cyclops pvps:

Against baby champed Chasm
    https://streamable.com/kywo02

Against high level Chasm
    https://streamable.com/8nayd4
    https://streamable.com/xyrkzq

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Just a reminder that Electra is really good against Knull, who feeds her free strikes every turn.

• Sekilicious
    edited December 2022
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I don’t know what it is, but none of these pick-2 teams are really working for me. I have my Jane at 4/4/5, Electro is 5/5/3 (more yellow doesn’t change the AP generation), is this not the right build?

I keep my Thor at 5/3/5. That red gets nasty the longer the match goes. I once had it hit for 70k unboosted, though most often it is around 25k. The extra charged tile for blue is irrelevant in most cases. I haven’t seen Thor/Electro recommended anywhere as a counter though so I expect it doesn’t work consistently. I just wanted to try them.