***** Chasm (Ben Reilly) *****

Options

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The thread blog character chasm can bring some insight.
    It's safe to say cyclops will boost those abyss tiles and that factor mist be played too.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Al_Paca said:
    What's the verdict:  is it worth waiting for Chasm to spend my tokens hoard as opposed to spending it now and getting Garg?
    I too agree with the general sentiment that we have had 4x 5*s in a row worth getting (and actually 5/6 if you go back to crystal).  That said, if I absolutely had to pick between chasm and garg, I think I would pick chasm (though with the obvious caveat that my opinion is before ever actually playing with chasm). His kit is just significantly more unique than garg; there are other ways to do big damage, but no comparable ways to shut down 'start of match' passives.

• Vhailorx
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Given that Okoye doesn't boost 3* Thanos self-team damage, it's safe to say it won't happen with Chasm.

As far as I can tell, self-damaging abilities have never been affected by enemy effects (like strike tiles or damage boosters or supports). that's been true since all the way back to the hood/sentry meta in 2014 (the last all 3* meta in the history of the game I think).
  • Al_Paca
    Al_Paca Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Al_Paca said:
    What's the verdict:  is it worth waiting for Chasm to spend my tokens hoard as opposed to spending it now and getting Garg?
    I too agree with the general sentiment that we have had 4x 5*s in a row worth getting (and actually 5/6 if you go back to crystal).  That said, if I absolutely had to pick between chasm and garg, I think I would pick chasm (though with the obvious caveat that my opinion is before ever actually playing with chasm). His kit is just significantly more unique than garg; there are other ways to do big damage, but no comparable ways to shut down 'start of match' passives.

I think this is enough to convince me to wait for Chasm.  Thanks!
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Having fought one I think he’s gambit levels of annoying so you will be seeing him everywhere. If you can’t kill him before the abyss tiles start appearing you are done. He’s reducing your strongest colour and you don’t get AP from the abyss tile matches. 

I got murdered with my double boosted 5* and even though I managed to stun him for 5 turns I couldn’t get AP because of the Abyss tiles. So when he returned from stun he blew me away. Then again if I’d downed him he would have returned anyway as he had 18 abyss tiles on the board!

• Vhailorx
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Having fought one I think he’s gambit levels of annoying so you will be seeing him everywhere. If you can’t kill him before the abyss tiles start appearing you are done. He’s reducing your strongest colour and you don’t get AP from the abyss tile matches. 

I got murdered with my double boosted 5* and even though I managed to stun him for 5 turns I couldn’t get AP because of the Abyss tiles. So when he returned from stun he blew me away. Then again if I’d downed him he would have returned anyway as he had 18 abyss tiles on the board!

If he can easily and reliably get 18 abyss tiles out on the board he will be an absolute meta beast. Though I suspect we will figure out better ways to slow him down as we get more experience against him. Think about the first time you fought gritty or bishop back in 2018, as opposed to how you felt about facing them a year or so later with more experience.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    tonypq said:
    Am I the only one who feels some of us are over rating Chasm a bit ?

He seems interesting as any other near the top of mid range 5s sure, but I'm not sure how crazy for him I am. The all passive is kind of cool I guess even if there's some wonky tug of war mechanics involved. I wouldn't necessarily miss having actives as long as the passives and overall kit synergy seem to work good enough together. 
    I think it depends on your definition of "over rating".  His kit in and of itself is fine.  But where he will shine, at least for me, is three fold: PVE Mindless Ones (just taking care of them is reason to get him), PVP Col/Wanda and a must have for PVP overall.  By PVP overall, I mean that he will be run a lot (I think) in PVP and the best way to deal with him is to bring your own.

Are people overrating him?  Perhaps.  It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next month or so.
    I don’t think he will be a must have for PVP.  The buffed 5* list means 2 buffed 5* will be greater than a champed non-buffed character.  Also facing him on his own won’t be that bad because he won’t make as many special tiles meaning you could down him and he won’t revive without enough special tiles.

he will be much more useful in PVE against mindless ones and in any node with R&G. In Sim it will be Rock Paper Scissors if you face a BRB or R&G team.  Other than that he might not be the Meta team in Sim
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A champed Chasm is out in the wild: shield sim. He actually followed dev's recommendations of SMPP and Doctor Strange. Suffice to say, that team was a cakewalk: Zero threat. The ap burn could be irritating but it's not a big deal.

Abyss tile reduces ap gain by 1 per Abyss tile matched. A match-3 with 1 Abyss tile nets you 2 aps.

On the other hand, Dr Thor is flooding the place. Now, she's a real threat. The cascades caused by her ability will leave you with healthpack burns. 
  • Gymp28
    Gymp28 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks @HoundofShadow :)
    I’m new here but have been avidly reading everyone’s comments for the last few months. Thanks for all the insight!

Interesting that anyone thought that 5star Fisk would be made viable when paired with even a god tier character…
    I’m sure there will be better comps for Chasm.
    I havn’t pulled yet as think I too will be holding off (skipping Garg 😢). I presume FosThor is a reasonable counter to Chasm? as she’ll constantly be destroying his abyss tiles (at random of course).
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kingping (the character who I made it my principal), has a little problem: he has an awful toolkit plus weak powers.
    His blue is about giving a special tile which he doesn't creates it easily, 9 AP and the having more blue than foe condition. So collect 9 green plus 7 blues or more for to create 3 weak attack tiles. The AP stolen can help to fire 2 blue powers, then, but it's weak as I said.
    His black destroys strongest foe AP but if he is with chasm he will never get 9 AP as chasm always will be tanking.
    Kingpin is not a good partner for anyone until he could get a rebalance to make him playable.
    If he is in any team is just for fun, because the others 2 already can win on their own.
    Dr strange could be a more decent partner, although being so much older than kingping.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kingpin is only good with Carbage imo. His black is too expensive It actually costs 11 AP. Jeez. 5-turn CD. I can’t remember even firing it. 

I actually think his blue is ok but it’s pigeonholed with a attack/strike/shield creator. Otherwise it won’t fire. His green is slow too. Gain 8 AP, and wait 3 turns. At least it’s fortified I guess. 

I just don’t get why that duo would be good with Chasm. With Carbage, you’re gaining more AP with the extra match. I would actually rather use 5* Incredible Hulk because his extra match and possible resulting cascade doesn’t gain AP. And for only 7 black, he can throw out some atrack tiles for Kingpin to give away. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Al_Paca said:
    The verdict isn't in yet. But, if I had to choose between one or the other I would take Chasm. His match starting stun is going to cripple any BRB team you see in PvP.
    Gargantos has been not as good as I expected since champing him.
    You have a month to wait and see though.
  • Gymp28
    Gymp28 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    What have peoples experiences been with the ‘blank stare’ vs event? Any notion of good partners? 
    I presume because he’s only at 1/1/1 he doesn’t function all that well whilst undercovered? 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dunno his AP zapping whilst not the end of the world is a bit annoying. I haven't had him revive on me yet.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One of the worst pvp experiences, feels like She-Hulk back when you actually had to collect AP to fire skills.
    If this is the new meta, then we're in for a very boring time.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And don't forget this is with him at 1/1/1.  Just wait until we face him champed.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And don't forget this is with him at 1/1/1.  Just wait until we face him champed.
    I have already in PvP. It’s total anarchy . I’ll be leaving the game this month for school so it won’t affect me, but to those remaining , if he doesn’t get nerfed this month this forum will go Attica.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Something interesting about his passive match damage increment.

1/1/1/ Chasm has a min/max of 75%/150%
    match damage increase. The average ap is 3 + 1 for every 2 web tiles.

I have 11 web tiles, with one of them fortified. 

The number of aps for both teams are:
    Mine: 8/24/3/7/7/0 = 49
    AI: 3/5/3/15/0/0 = 26

The average shown is exactly 6.25 aps, which is correct when you take (49+26)/(6+6). 

The max ap is 8. Calculation is 3 + (11/2) = 8.5, rounded down.

The match damage is +91%.

Scenario 2
    I fired a power and reduced the total ap by 7. Web tiles increased to 14. The average became 5.66. Max ap is 10 and match damage is 107%.

I can't figure out the calculation.  :D

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Against the loaner Chasm this isn't harder than any other PvP. He's only got 43k health. Downs easy. I'm not seeing it be a slow match.

My opinion would probably change I guess if against a non loaner.
  • trenchdigger
    trenchdigger Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Your calcs work perfectly:
    Scenario 1
    150% - (6.25/8)*(150-75)% = 91%

Scenario 2
    150% - (5.66/10)*(150-75)% = 107%