Waking Nightmare - Gorr Boss Event Information (7/20/22)

Comments

• JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2022
    I agree that alliance events should have a certain level of challenge, so I think if it is planned to rotate between full roster and limited roster events then that seems okay.

I think the main objections to the last event were the lack of notice about the new approach and the horrible selection of characters. But nearly everyone in my alliance did manage full progression in the end.

It is worth recognising that we now have over 70 5* characters so I have no objection to giving newer players a way to earn a couple of 5* covers. It will give them access to the relevant 5* nodes in PVE but the reality is they are still going to be many months / years away from getting the character to champ level. And they might have to buy HP to roster the 5* so that is good for the game's economy.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,168 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 3/0/0 Thoress is weeping after seeing the personal progression is another Red and knowing my Alliance is unlikely to finish round 8 unless this is an easy boss along the lines of Galactus/Thanos.

KGB
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Thank you Daredevil for the excellent summary! I also greatly enjoyed that event for the most part, but would like to expand on just one main point.

The counterpoint to a good challenge, is the increased time commitment required to complete it.

I love challenge and variety. Succeeding against a very tough challenge is fun, and a terrific feeling of accomplishment. However, succeeding over, and over, and over again can turn the fun into a slog. I want to keep getting these challenges, but with less repetition. It's why I've always liked WtS and Puzzle Gauntlet.

Maybe they could configure an event with four unrestricted pins, and only one with the Heroic roster limits. (And ideally, that would unlock one corresponding boss pin with the limits as well). Then we get the challenge, but without the extreme expansion of playing time requirements. And for the players that don't want (or can't do) the challenge, they can skip that one pin.

<Personal experiences from the last event below, for some additional context>

The alliance I'm in needed a lot of help. I had to play through every node, and take advantage of every free boss hit through the last time slice on Sunday, to just barely complete round 7. Moreover, I had none of the available 5stars champed, but the nodes were scaled as if I did (I have ten 5-champs overall). The combo of those two details made the playing time drastically longer than normal, and exceeded the comfort level.

The other thing I ran into, is that I needed to do a lot of team reconfiguring to fight the boss, and different side node enemies. I constantly ran up against the swap limit for Supports, due to that nature of alternating back and forth. So I was forced into completing many nodes with something less than my optimal configuration.

• CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Could run the normal and heroic event simultaneously with a lock-out function a la Strange Sights. Choose level of difficulty and be locked into it.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    - The restricted roster was a lot of fun for me. I played characters I normally wouldn’t have. If you were bored playing the only 5*s (who lacked synergy) then that’s on you. Plenty of people enjoyed rediscovering or discovering for the first time Agent Venom, Brock, Scorpion, Bullseye, etc. There were definitely some cool synergistic teams. 
    Conversely, if you enjoy rediscovering characters, but don't do that during events for some reason, then that's on you.

Nothing is stopping you EVER from playing whom you want to, when you want to (except, of course, if anything is restricted).  So the whole "if you were bored, that's on you" is a very flimsy argument.

I was definitely bored because it was the same boosted characters (Dark Avengers) every single time who I personally did not find fun. Is that on me?  Sure, I guess.  But the flippant comment of "that's on you" is a bit sanctimonious and dismissive.
    I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings. But you did say you only used three of the available characters and then complained about lack of variety, so I was just pointing that out. It seems others who expanded their approach enjoyed it more. 

You’re right that there’s nothing stopping me from using the 1* water guns that are sitting next to my 5* mega nukes during this or any event. But that just feels dumb. I covered this in the other threads as well.  I’m the type of person that likes when games lay out challenges for me (“solve this but you only have these things available”) rather than purposely “playing down” just to create a challenge for myself.  I like playing optimally, and liked that “optimal” looked different last heroic event. Just like the god boosts make “optimal” different every week as well. I don’t even know what Gorr does (sadly I made it through his PvP, PVE, and shield training without reading his powers!), but I’m guessing he can be Hulkoye or shangfinited like every other boss.

Could run the normal and heroic event simultaneously with a lock-out function a la Strange Sights. Choose level of difficulty and be locked into it.
    This right here is the best answer that appeases both sides. I just don’t know the time it’d take to code. Points for the alliance would be the same but if you choose restricted you earn the 5* covers, and if you choose easy mode you get the old LT rewards. 
  • SaltnPeppa
    SaltnPeppa Posts: 360 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX said:
    So is this a heroic style event, @IceIX? Seems like it, just with more loaners. Want to double check though. 
    It is not. Just themed around Love and Thunder related characters.
    DeNappa said:
    Huh, new goons? Cool.

Were the round rewards posted yet?
    In the What's New thread, yes.
    Are you guys going to be at SDCC or attending the D23 Expo in September?
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    This boss event run is not heroic so let's keep the topic on this event and not talking about heroic events.

I'm all for having that discussion, and have participated plenty about it in appropriate threads. Let's keep this thread about this event though please. 
  • trenchdigger
    trenchdigger Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Event won't let me join.  Anyone else with similar problem?
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes. And now its lost internet connection. Sigh.

• waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Event won't let me join.  Anyone else with similar problem?
    Yes, the game/event is down for all at this moment.  
  • trenchdigger
    trenchdigger Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Third attempt and I'm in.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Try a force reset of the app, seems to be back up now.
  • Wilger
    Wilger Posts: 96 Match Maker
    edited July 2022
    in after 4 try's, already bored after ProfX hulkoye pimp slaps Gorr. :(
    oh well at least gona bag 2 covers for thoress
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,073 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think the event is bugged? Don't seem to need to use the Essential characters for the side nodes?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,073 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yup - just did Drax wave node without Drax. I guess he might have been invisible?
  • JasonLikesToTravel
    JasonLikesToTravel Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    DAZ0273 said:
    Think the event is bugged? Don't seem to need to use the Essential characters for the side nodes?
    Yeah, it seems so. I don't have anywhere near a full roster so glad I hopped on early for this one. I probably won't have all of the essential characters once they fix it so pleased to get off to a good start. Picked up an LL token in the waking nightmare vault too so so far so good :)
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's strangely scaled. A level 50 or 100 enemy should not have that much HP. He also seems to take a lot less damage than would be expected. Ah, well.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Gorr's repeaters reduce his damage by like 24% total at match start.