MPQ What's New July (Updated 7/20/22)

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I'm talking about completionist mindset, it's for this specific scenario of Heroic Boss event rewards. And the players being referenced to are limited to those in the forums.

Focusing on only meta is bad for new players because they won't learn how to spot different synergy. You don't need to chase bad characters just to learn synergy. The context is: the advice given to new players is to focus on Polaris and gang, and ignore everything else. This one dimensional advice would not be helpful when players get hit with Heroic events. However, chasing meta while concurrently learning to use different synergies would be a better approach. Unfortunately, in reddit, not following conventional wisdom in reddit nets those players downvote or get taught a lesson on what they're doing is wrong.

Of course, there are many ways to play the game and speed is the only correct way to play the game, and such advices have been taught to those new players, and over time, they become influenced by "MPQ is all about speed."

We are playing an immoral game that feeds on the FOMO of players, so there isn't any moral high ground to stand on in the first place.

For competitive players, it makes sense to follow what the top players are doing. But for casual players, following what the top players don't make sense. Both have different goals. It has happened quite a many times in reddit where casual players chatted about playing MPQ non-optimally, and you have those group of expert players telling them what they are doing is wrong, even though those casual players are aware of what they are "missing out". 
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    When I'm talking about completionist mindset, it's for this specific scenario of Heroic Boss event rewards. And the players being referenced to are limited to those in the forums.

First, I agree with everything you said.

Second, I believe the other person to have intentionally misrepresented your thoughts on completionist mindset. I've read your posts and found it to be very clearly regarding the heroic boss event, not the collection of all the characters. Seemed like a disingenuous way to direct the conversation to an attack on you. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards

First, I agree with everything you said.

Second, I believe the other person to have intentionally misrepresented your thoughts on completionist mindset. I've read your posts and found it to be very clearly regarding the heroic boss event, not the collection of all the characters. Seemed like a disingenuous way to direct the conversation to an attack on you. 
    While I appreciate you assuming my intentions, you’re wrong. I’m pretty sure Hound has posited that this game is not meant for new people to champ everyone, the problem is players have unrealistic expectations, and that’s the real issue, people thinking they need to have everyone champed, etc. if I’m wrong he can correct me.  I swear I thought that’s what he was talking about and it felt contradictory so I called it out.

Hound, if you’re talking about completionist mindset with regards to heroics I vehemently agree. I wrote quite a few diatribes on this and probably liked a lot of your posts in the new boss event threads as we are on the same page. So why one would assume I’d be against that point, I don’t know. 

Regardless of either of your beliefs (since you agree with everything Hound is saying), the reality is this game has been operating for an insane length of time with no breaks in character releases. So champing all takes years (plural). So if someone new is overwhelmed and says “who’s the best character to target?”, I’m not going to tell them to make their 5* bonus hero Wasp. The casual who downloaded the game because they love Kamala and see she just got a new 5* MCU version doesn’t need advice on who to chase. For the person asking blankly who the best characters to go after are, l will upvote Shang and downvote Wasp and explain in the comments that she will in fact make the game more difficult. Folks like Mr F who REALLY like Wasp will go after her anyway and don’t really need handholding. But pointing people in the direction of metas who are trying to optimize their resources is just good advice imo. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    There are all types of players: totally casual players who play more actively other games, new f2p players who won't roster all characters, 4* players long time vets softcapping 5*s, semiretired 5*players, middle vet 5* players active, competitive champ em  all players keeping 5* releases, and competitive 5*players wanting to max their meta characters. 
    And in almost all of these cases chasing the meta is the best option as it will grant them better QoL.
    However in the case of active new players ambitioning to widen their roster or for 5* champ em all players that's specially true as meta characters will help them to earn the resources if all fails on that week. 
    And for to get the grind these types of players need they aren't free to experiment nothing. 
    On the exact time the game (or devs) are putting a clock and extra rewards based on rank, that's a game of speed and players needing all the possible resources will play it accordingly. 
    If now pvp rewards have been decreased, that won't affect them as they usually need 25/28 wins to get all rewards and to be in good rank.
    Those players won't play for 50 wins looking for sinergies, they will get the resources which will grant them to play new 5* characters when boosted or not.
    So on the topic of being original and looking for sinergies we have 2 active players groups who won't do it: new players whose roster won't allow it, and champ em all competitive players whose grinding won't allow it.
    I'd say casual players, non competitive players or really interested players are playing a non meta non speed based game and I don't know how many % they are but of course in exchange they are employing more playtime or possibly losing the option on earning the extra rank rewards and then not growing up more their rosters.
    Nobody would advice a new player to chase a character who won't help him to grow up their roster.
  • HoundofShadow
    It's true that my position is that new casual players shouldn't be champing 5* as easily as those competitive players. However, in this particular context, it's about making Heroic less challenging just to make those players in reddits/forums less unhappy in the next roll out. Forum players are largely min-max players and most of them just want to speed and get their 5* covers. If the dev were to make changes just to please them, it's pretty obvious the next boss (heroic) event will be an even watered down version. So, that's why I said being exposed to different synergies is a much better solution than dumbing down Heroics just to please these meta players.

New players are taught to focus on only meta characters and they largely ignore other synergies. They have been taught bad habits about how MPQ is all about speed and how other characters are unusable without any consideration how those characters' abilities can be useful in other scenarios. When they are exposed to these comments by veterans frequently, they'll be influenced by them and start singing the same tune that all other non-meta characters are a waste of space etc. 

In the context of top placements, meta characters are important. In the context of solving other non-speed problems, being exposed to different synergies is more important.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    @IceIX can we get confirmation on Boss and regular PVE running at the same time, and the nature of the Boss event, eg Heroic or other, please?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    Disney Emoji Blitz, a children's match 3 game for children that uses disney emojis as the crystals, has a similar if not worse amount of character bloat. They full on lock you out of events if you don't have emojis, but they offer several different modes of play so that there is always content for you even if you can't do the event that's running. It could be nice if a heroic ran alongside a Puzzle Gauntlet or some other thing that had a lower barrier to entry so that people wouldn't just be full on out of luck to engage with the game while it was running.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    People that want to only use hammers have literally every other event to do so. Heroics are appealing to those of us who actually like the concept. The very vocal people complaining that heroics need to let them use their "meta" characters are the ones spoiling the fun.

Making heroics more like every other event is not a good solution. If some people don't want to participate in heroics, then they can simply lose out on rewards. There shouldn't be the expectation that every person deserves every reward from every event. Heroics are explicitly meant to require overcoming challenge to earn rewards. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,590 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m not a fan of heroics. If you are a dev you want as many people to be able to participate in your content as possible.
    Limiting the choices available will hinder newer players from competing and potentially leave a sour taste in their mouths. It’s not a problem for me and many other long time players, but it’s a hurdle for people with incomplete rosters.
    Providing loaners is a solution provided they are sufficiently leveled enough it allows players to compete at some level. Maybe not full clear all the content, but at least get a decent amount of attempts/clears in the still feel rewarded from the event.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    dianetics said:
    I’m not a fan of heroics. If you are a dev you want as many people to be able to participate in your content as possible.
    Limiting the choices available will hinder newer players from competing and potentially leave a sour taste in their mouths. It’s not a problem for me and many other long time players, but it’s a hurdle for people with incomplete rosters.
    Providing loaners is a solution provided they are sufficiently leveled enough it allows players to compete at some level. Maybe not full clear all the content, but at least get a decent amount of attempts/clears in the still feel rewarded from the event.
    I don't know if that is necessarily true that a mobile game devs intention is to have as many people be able to participate as possible.  Based on my experience with other mobile games the intention is to get people spending.

If MPQ were like most of the other mobile games that I have played with limited time events that require specific characters then instead of providing players with loaners like they do they would instead offer a bunch of bundles for those characters offering shards to recruit them in exchange for real money.
  • HoundofShadow
    I find the new dev team too generous. However, I'll wait and see how they roll out Supports. Something's amiss with this massive generosity.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I was considering quitting until the new dev announcement and subsequent uptick in generosity.  
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    I find the new dev team too generous. However, I'll wait and see how they roll out Supports. Something's amiss with this massive generosity.
    Why is generosity an issue? I’m at a loss to understand why that’s a problem. It should boost engagement if nothing else.
  • HoundofShadow
    Of course it's an issue. Every companies involved in MPQ from Disney/Marvel to 505 is here for one main reason: to make money. Players don't spend when they can get covers easily. Yes, it boosts engagement but when it doesn't boost revenue, it's a big problem. Base on what I see in forums, min-max and "dedicated" players seldom spend on the game. However, they're always requesting dev to increase rewards.

If you want MPQ to shutdown quicker, get the dev to be even more generous, without reasonable tradeoffs.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    dianetics said:
    That’s a lie . I’m one of those incomplete roster people as are others in my alliance and we loved it. It gave us a new challenge. Furthermore I completed full progression with a day to spare . Don’t presume you know how the majority of players think because you read a handful of complaints on a fanboy forum site from people who literally complain about everything in the game .