***** Elektra (Woman Without Fear) *****

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    Options
    She looks pretty meh to me.  Modern match damage and health, which is good, but the kit does not seem likely to hit the meta.
    Red is ok, but too expensive.  9ap just to wait two turns for an unprotected CD for 20k damage is meh. The stun pushes it up to decent. At 7ap this power would be interesting. And at 5 or 6 it would be somewhat scary.
    Yellow is definitely the most intriguing power, but I don't know if it is good. 6ap is fantastic, and with the ap-regen it should be out most of the time. But it's only 3 tiles and always on the same color. So it will be predictable easy to counter (Valkyrie, quake, flaptain, etc). 50% DR for the whole team is good, even if the damage isn't great. It will be a somewhat annoying strange-like counter in that you will need to be careful about casting offensive powers with squishy characters while traps are out. Unfortunately, there are a lot of better 5* powers in red and yellow, so using her with any of those teams doesn't make much sense. And I don't see something like this slowing down SC very much at all. Even with 50%DR on the first 3 matches, he can still burn downany hundred K health wirhoit trouble.
    Purple active is not even worth discussing. The passive has pitifully low numbers, but the passive will be a useful counter, especially against specific enemies that rely on fewer, stronger  (mindless ones, thugs, etc).
    Seems like an easy 5/5/3, and she looks like a niche pve character to me, with the possibility of a few fun, screwy simulator teams that could be built around stacking DR (curious how she plays with SW/ Colossus). And on the off chance that she is better than I expect, she will also increase the value of gamora's yellow indirectly.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Assuming her yellow works with any trap tiles, she may fit in nicely with JJ and/or Sinister.  That could be a lot of passive AP gain with an enemy cascade for example and you will be only taking 50% damage from all sources  which means many teams might skip you due to the grindy nature of such a team. If it only works with her trap tiles, then it isn't nearly as good of a power. Her red is ok and her purple at 10 AP seems very expensive. Does it start out assuming strikes is the default for the passive or does it do nothing until you fire the power once?
  • Vhailorx
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    Assuming her yellow works with any trap tiles, she may fit in nicely with JJ and/or Sinister.  That could be a lot of passive AP gain with an enemy cascade for example and you will be only taking 50% damage from all sources  which means many teams might skip you due to the grindy nature of such a team. If it only works with her trap tiles, then it isn't nearly as good of a power.  Her red is ok and her purple at 10 AP seems very expensive. Does it start out assuming strikes is the default for the passive or does it do nothing until you fire the power once?

I will be very surprised if it works with any trap tile. It would make her better though.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    Assuming her yellow works with any trap tiles, she may fit in nicely with JJ and/or Sinister.  That could be a lot of passive AP gain with an enemy cascade for example and you will be only taking 50% damage from all sources  which means many teams might skip you due to the grindy nature of such a team. If it only works with her trap tiles, then it isn't nearly as good of a power.  Her red is ok and her purple at 10 AP seems very expensive. Does it start out assuming strikes is the default for the passive or does it do nothing until you fire the power once?
    Nice idea with the trap tiles but I think it will only be her trap tiles.

still a 5,5,3 build for me.  Red does good damage and with a 2 turn stun the CD tile can still be protected.  Not great but also not bad.  Yellow is self feeding, but that Purple is expensive and situational.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm reading her red as doing one 20k hit once, when the tile goes off.  I think Strange's CD is worded differently.
    I read it the same as you - strange explicitly says the damage tics every turn and this doesn’t. 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Warbringa said:
    Nice idea with the trap tiles but I think it will only be her trap tiles.

still a 5,5,3 build for me.  Red does good damage and with a 2 turn stun the CD tile can still be protected.  Not great but also not bad.  Yellow is self feeding, but that Purple is expensive and situational.
    I only point it out though because some powers do state specific trap tiles, whereas others do not. The correct reading if it only works with her trap tiles would be if there is a Shadow Dance Trap tile.... but it instead states simply a Trap tile.  A character like Onslaught for example specifies his Astral Traps only on his power description so we shall see, whereas Sinister's state any friendly trap tile.  I am guessing it won't work with any trap tile too but it would really breath life into trap tile characters if it did.  

I mean keeping yellow tiles on the board is easy with Switch, simply pick yellow for switches purple power.  That is two very rough defensive skills. Throw in a good damage dealer there for a third like 5Pool, it could be a rough match.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She will be very playable when she's boosted.  I think the boost roughly doubles all the numbers?  So yellow will be crazy repeatable damage. 

Red will be...less crazy, but better, and hey, Archangel is playable when he's boosted, just because he can stun!
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,404 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    Assuming her yellow works with any trap tiles, she may fit in nicely with JJ and/or Sinister.  That could be a lot of passive AP gain with an enemy cascade for example and you will be only taking 50% damage from all sources  which means many teams might skip you due to the grindy nature of such a team. If it only works with her trap tiles, then it isn't nearly as good of a power. Her red is ok and her purple at 10 AP seems very expensive. Does it start out assuming strikes is the default for the passive or does it do nothing until you fire the power once?
    The way to power is worded it seems that it does work with any trap tile.
    I don't think it will work with JJ but Sinister and possibly Killmonger.

Looking at Killomger's power it deals "damage for every Decisive Strike tile on the board"

Still, there are not a lot of trap tile users so even if it does work with all trap tiles the situations are still limited.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    Options
    That's an interesting way of looking at her yellow power. However, the power is tied to her active power, rather than categorised under passive ability. For example, it would then look like this instead:

Instead of dodging into the shadows herself, Elektra pulls her allies into safety. Elektra converts 3 random basic Yellow tiles into Trap tiles.

(PASSIVE) When Elektra or her allies would take damage and there is a Trap tile on the board, the damage is reduced by 25% and a Trap tile is destroyed, generating AP and dealing 1254 damage. (Max level 5039 damage)

Alternatively, think of how Mehneto's blue power works, and you'll get the idea.
  • dianetics
    Options
    Yeah it seems so comparing it to 4* Elektra, since the wording is essentially identical. So seems doubtful that it affects anything other than her own trap tiles.

I still think this is probably her best power though.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    There's no way to tell until someone tests it.  I think it's unlikely that she works with any trap tile, but the wording means it's possible. 

If she does, I'm not sure it pushes her *that* much higher in overall power level, because most of the trap tile guys are pretty mediocre.  It would enable some neat combos though.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    There's no way to tell until someone tests it.  I think it's unlikely that she works with any trap tile, but the wording means it's possible. 

If she does, I'm not sure it pushes her *that* much higher in overall power level, because most of the trap tile guys are pretty mediocre.  It would enable some neat combos though.

I think this is basically right.  In the best case scenario she would have an effectively infinite number of tiles and would do 8k rental for each teammate damaged. That might be a bit of a challenge to deal with for teams that rely on a 4* (and would be very hard in challenge nodes), but I still think that most good meta 5* teams could deal with that pretty easily via DR (sw, brb) or pure damage and true heal (SC, okoye), or stuns.
  • dianetics
    Options
    It seems trap tile wording is all over the place.
    Even 3* Doom like Killmonger references his trap tiles in the power specifically.
    JJ references creating an enemy trap tile and "when you match one"
    Sinister reference's his specific trap tiles in the description.
    Nick Fury's are create trap tiles, that when matched by the enemy, detonate in unison.
    DAREDEVIL, X-23, and Spiderwoman are worded like Nick Fury.
    Ant-Man reference's his own tile. WS references all of his trap tiles.

It would be nice if they continued the wordings used from Killmonger and Doom, or were just more consistent in the wording, in order to reduce confusion.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dianetics said:

It would be nice if they continued the wordings ... or were just more consistent in the wording, in order to reduce confusion.
    Huge nitpick: I wish they would do this for "allies" and "teammates". This one is so inconsistent.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I would definitely pair her with Mr Sinister/Killmonger if it works with any trap tiles. Just when you thought the dev should be releasing more counters to defensive meta, they double down instead. A defensive team countering defensive meta team looks fun though. 

If we would put it to the "is it broken" test,  a constant minimum of 8688 passive damage to the target every turn looks broken to me.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    You don't really want Elektra blowing up JJ or Sinister's trap tiles for only 8000 damage though.  Killmonger's are pretty useless I guess.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Killmonger's purple power is the least popular power and it's also the power that creates trap tile
    passively. So, it will turn his useless trap tiles into something useful.  

Again, chances are pretty slim that her yellow power will work with other trap tiles. 3* Dr Doom and Elektra can be a deadly combo in 3* land.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I made a short clip a while back regarding America Chavez's yellow passive traps, because of its wording.  I paired her up with 3* Doom and Black Cat... so that I'd have purple and black traps already.

Didn't work.  Even though Chavez's passive is loosely worded.  So, I doubt Elektras trap will work like that as well....  here's my short, in case you wanna scrutinize.

https://youtube.com/shorts/iZBEoSaM0Ek?feature=share
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Looks pretty interesting.
    The Red is kinda meh at 9 AP. But you get a 2-turn stun (that isn't blue) and a 2-turn countdown that does 20k damage (so what around 50k boosted).
    The Yellow is interesting. For 6 AP you are getting 3 trap tiles on yellow. When you take damage you get ap back for that tile, reduce the damage 50% and each deal 8k damage (20k boosted?). This is interesting because its a good chance you get 3 ap back to fire it again and its already cheap. Also that is cheap damage reduction and how does that work with other characters of that ilk such as Colossus, Wanda, Odin etc? With Wanda does this mean that you are taking 0 damage from powers. Or Colossus 0 match damage? If you are playing a team that does multiple hits per turn (like Carnage, Wanda, attack tiles, cascades etc.) is this gonna trigger multiple times per round? If so when boosted this character is gonna be a pain in the ****.
    The Purple I look at as being against strike tiles because 10 purple ap might be too much to get it going in many cases. I take it as steals means you get the strength of the ones taking + her boost on the active. Which is interesting to me in SCL 10 against tile creators because they can seemingly be giving you some free heavy strike tiles.
    But something about that purple tile is it says when an enemy creates it steals. Well if you look at how they are worded the likes of Polaris and RnG "create" strike tiles at the beginning of the battle. Does it steal them and reduce the others right from the start of the match?

• HoundofShadow
    Options
    I'm wondering if her trap tiles activate even when she's stunned. Trap tiles don't seem to have a consistent trigger point.

Some questions surrounding her
    1) does her yellow works with other trap tiles
    2) how does it interacts with Wanda/Colossus/Odin etc?
    3) does her trap tiles trigger when she is stunned?
    4) how many trap tiles get triggered against iHulkoye? 4?

When I used Wanda with Electro against iHulkoye, either Electro or Wanda was in front and she took ~2k damage (from tiles destruction and AoE), while the two behind took 1 damage. 

Question 2 is the most important question. Here are two scenario using iHulkoye:

Let's assume:
    1) iHulkoye AoE deals 10k damage 
    2) Electro reduces enemy AoE by 7000
    3) Elektra reduces damage by 50% with 3 yellow trap tiles.
    4) iHulkoye's tile destruction triggers after AoE

If Elektra triggers first, everyone gets hit with 1 damage AoE.
    If Electro triggers first, everyone gets hit with 1.5k AoE.

Against iHulkoye, either the damage from tiles destruction get reduced by half, causing one of them to take 3k AoE, or whoever is in front takes full damage from tiles destruction.