Week 9 Boost 5* (DareDevil, 5* Star-Lord and Prof X/Onslaught). Thx DAZ

Comments

• StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    I think there is a misconception that I am struggling to win or place. 

That is not accurate.

I am simply tired of every match being a C node. Variety is great but it doesn’t really exist in this state either. I would much rather have character balance than character boosts. Then someone like entrail who has a wide and deep roster wouldn’t need boost weeks to enjoy a small portion of his roster, he could enjoy it all the time. 

I will bow out now, the actual discussion that was about the topic was great. Everything else was unneeded. The folks who are happy for the boosts I’m glad for.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    My best big brain moment was shutting down a sniper for an event while not actually playing.  I would literally space out hits drag his score, not pass him points wise and wait for him to start playing ( which I knew from br call outs) again before resniping.  I think he stopped hitting other players so he could target me, effectively took himself out of the event till the 12 hr mark when most players were shield out or in 1-2 match hop mode.  I think I made my real climb from 500 to shield inside 8 hrs,  when I could rely on hitting zombie players and queuing up 75 pt late climbers who are trying to secure t10 or better.

so there are lots of min max point/match strategies for ALL kinds of situations.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    @StanleyBurrell I agree with everything you said. Also, I strongly recommend not engaging in conversation with those posters you were trying to refute. It gives tremendous peace of mind.

Peace out, brother.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there is a misconception that I am struggling to win or place. 

That is not accurate.

I am simply tired of every match being a C node. Variety is great but it doesn’t really exist in this state either. I would much rather have character balance than character boosts. Then someone like entrail who has a wide and deep roster wouldn’t need boost weeks to enjoy a small portion of his roster, he could enjoy it all the time. 

I will bow out now, the actual discussion that was about the topic was great. Everything else was unneeded. The folks who are happy for the boosts I’m glad for.
    Here is the point.  Is it really a C node, when your team has the same level or even higher levels?  I’m sure the 1*, 2* players think 3* players are god tier.

here is another good chestnut from an even older roster/player than mine.  “When everyone has a big okoye then no one has a big okoye”

I actually think scl 10 C nodes are easy now that I’m running teams equal to the C node combos.

it’s never about the tools and always about improving workflow and process.  
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,633 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    My best big brain moment was shutting down a sniper for an event while not actually playing.  I would literally space out hits drag his score, not pass him points wise and wait for him to start playing ( which I knew from br call outs) again before resniping.  I think he stopped hitting other players so he could target me, effectively took himself out of the event till the 12 hr mark when most players were shield out or in 1-2 match hop mode.  I think I made my real climb from 500 to shield inside 8 hrs,  when I could rely on hitting zombie players and queuing up 75 pt late climbers who are trying to secure t10 or better.

so there are lots of min max point/match strategies for ALL kinds of situations.

We have a name for this strategy that I can't post here, but I love doing this.  I tend to use it when they're in the same bracket so I can watch them.  I'll usually sit right above or below them so they know I'm there, then just wait.  It works best if you never climb at all -- missing placement yourself is a small price to pay for the smiting of one's enemies!

As far as the rest of it: we've been over this.  There is no way to achieve diversity in the meta without doing this.  You only get to pick 2, and people will always pick the best 2.  Buffs might reorder the list but we'll still see the same handful of the best characters over and over.

Some players prefer things that way.  They can invest all their resources into the best guys and win stuff using the same 2 guys forever.  Many other players did things that way in order to win, but became bored with using the same teams to fight the same teams every event for years.  This fixes that, and it's the only way to fix that.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now we totally agree for once. But dont think you didnt say unnecessary things too.

About the rebalancing I always said there shouldnt exist a gap so huge between 5*s.
    Apart of the god boost, some 5*s should be improved, if it was just for the sake of players wanting to chase them or people playing them when there are more popular moderns 5*s.
    I think it would be good for game's health, and it would make happy a lot of players, myself actually not included.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,789 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    I don’t think this gives variety either. All my pvps are just double of the best boosted for a week. So I guess the variety is the game changes each week but in each pvp week there’s no match variety, if that makes sense.

You want variety, well then they should either boost just one and let us go through our rosters for pairings or boost 10 and offer more variety depth in pairings. So for me, four is either too many or no were near enough to get any genuine variety.

I’m bored of it now, despite having onslaught and prof champed, the last event was the first pvp I’ve just not entered for years. Couldn’t even be bothered for the 10cp at 500.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    If this forum has a way for players to have a quick overview of how many champed 5* other players have and what their top 5 highest levelled 5* are, it might help to create context that tells why certain players favour certain circumstances. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    If this forum has a way for players to have a quick overview of how many champed 5* other players have and what their top 5 highest levelled 5* are, it might help to create context that tells why certain players favour certain circumstances. 
    Having a permanent link to the character roster by clicking on a username would be a nice thing to add on the forum
  • entrailbucket
    Increasing the number of boosted guys won't change what you see in their week, because players will always run the best 2.

Take PX/Onslaught week.  With 4 boosted 5* per week, assuming some kind of rotation, PX and Onslaught would be boosted every 12 weeks.  If they boost 10 guys per week, PX/Onslaught week would happen every 5 weeks. 

Would you rather have this once a month or once every 3 months?

Decreasing the number of boosted 5* would be good for players like me that have them all at a pretty high level, but bad for anyone who doesn't.  I think we'd see more complaints about being locked out if they did that.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    In any case I don't think it was the best idea to give godbost to the cascade bros.
    It would add more variety boosting them in separate weeks. 
    Sure, it's fun to see how much damage they can scalate.
    However it adds too much pressure, too much random factor, and to top it all they didn't miss one pvp or pve. 
    The sum of all that I think it finally makes it not interesting. Like I said, I got tired of permanently chasing match 4.
    Oh, and there was star lord too. I had to read the title of this post for to remember who was the fourth.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,789 Chairperson of the Boards

Decreasing the number of boosted 5* would be good for players like me that have them all at a pretty high level, but bad for anyone who doesn't.  I think we'd see more complaints about being locked out if they did that.
    It would be good for people with 1 or 28 too. Even if you only have one and are ‘locked out as you put it you would still see plenty of people in the same boat and the boosted would only be one, you can work around that.

and if they boosted one, well that gives life to that one for the event. I’d like them to boost one per event, not per week.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    In any case I don't think it was the best idea to give godbost to the cascade bros.
    However it adds too much pressure, too much random factor, and to top it all they didn't miss one pvp or pve. 
    The sum of all that I think it finally makes it not interesting. Like I said, I got tired of permanently chasing match 4.
    Oh, and there was star lord too. I had to read the title of this post for to remember who was the fourth.
    I really hope they are looking at usage metrics on characters like Star Lord and eyeing foundational improvements to them
  • entrailbucket
    Tony_Foot said:

It would be good for people with 1 or 28 too. Even if you only have one and are ‘locked out as you put it you would still see plenty of people in the same boat and the boosted would only be one, you can work around that.

and if they boosted one, well that gives life to that one for the event. I’d like them to boost one per event, not per week.
    This... actually sounds super fun.  One boosted 5* per event, and it changes every event.  I'm sure there's some problem with it that I can't think of right now, because there's always some kind of downside.

This would be different than 5* featured PvP, because that'd just end up being 5* feature + SW/Colossus or Okoye/Hulk or whatever.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    That would be even better if there were shards for that featured 5* in progression, even if it was just like 50 or 75. Maybe at 1100pts?

should this just be 5* required/loaner PvP in rotation?
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I enjoyed this Professor Onslaught week having them both champed at level 460 abd 454. Especially in mirror matches  it really is a puzzle quest. Very quick shield hops when you're lucky. Achieved more than 2,000 points in the first two PvP's. That only happened to me once in Killmonger week. Totally love 5-star boosts. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    I really hope they are looking at usage metrics on characters like Star Lord and eyeing foundational improvements to them
    Interestingly I saw a lot more Star-Lord's out in the wild this time around although no doubt he was still bottom of the boosted pile. Likewise I hope there is some structural basis for who is getting boosted and it is not just random.
  • Ryudo
    Ryudo Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Those who are enjoying this boost in 5* are only veteran players who have a huge variety of 5*... Players like me and my friend who have small roosters are in a nightmare.  Who's saying there's variety I disagree, the only difference is that now I'm forced to fight who has 5* with 100k+ and guess what, with my 5* unboosted and the usual ones.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ryudo said:
    Those who are enjoying this boost in 5* are only veteran players who have a huge variety of 5*... Players like me and my friend who have small roosters are in a nightmare.  Who's saying there's variety I disagree, the only difference is that now I'm forced to fight who has 5* with 100k+ and guess what, with my 5* unboosted and the usual ones.
    Gotta bulk up your roosters then. Upgrade from chicken nuggets to chicken cutlets.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Ryudo said:
    Gotta bulk up your roosters then. Upgrade from chicken nuggets to chicken cutlets.
    I’m sorry you have a small rooster, I presume it is a nightmare . Keep playing though .