Options
12346»

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,211 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    hothie said:
    Okay, I'll make a suggestion in the form of a question.

Seeing as how a player's success (or irritation level) in the Puzzle Gauntlet is normally very dependent upon the characters they have, and at what levels those characters are, should the Puzzle Gauntlets have an SCL?

I always advocated for difficulty levels in any gauntlet. Then no one would be forced to play the same game as others,or if they play a level too hard it would be on their own.
    I 'd be really happy with that as generally I want harder challenges than the ones released.
    That would require a bit more effort designing the gauntlet, though.

No, it would be pretty easy.  Just offer the same rewards for everyone, but give players a choice of doing actual puzzles like in this gauntlet, or super difficult challenges like "make 3 green matches" or "make a match-4." 

Does every single fight/event in the game have to be trivial?  Does everything have to be for everyone?  Can't they occasionally offer a difficult event with bad rewards for the people who appreciate difficult fights?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Teamups aren't mandatory but they can help to relieve frustration for some players by making the puzzles more achievable due to whatever reason.

Anyway, that's how I play Shuri/IM40. Fire red followed by yellow. I usually use +2 red/yellow ap.

Next, IM40/Shuri/Bagman(5/5/3) will work. Collect 30 purple ap and fire Bagman purple twice OR you can collect 15 purple ap and wait for a column with 4 web tiles. Stun Miles and Wolfsbane, keep SMIW at the back with him having 11 green ap. Let him make matches. If the other 2 are invisible, you can lock their invisible tile with his blue power if you can't match it away.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bad said:
    Anyone can spit negative criticism. Im already seeing how many suggestions you are making for next puzzle, given that this one is not of the taste of everyone. 
    Puzzle gauntlet still has not repeated any mechanism: great originality. 
    And support tokens are the most valued rewards in game. 
    Dont you like it? Then dont play it.
    No one would expect the most valued reward will be spammed as Xmas presents.
    Uhhh wouldn't that be a good xmas present lol?  Much better reward than MORE Rescue shards.  I still think there are ways to do puzzle gauntlet where it'll be challenging, but also fun.

This run seems to be especially ultra-annoying with the corner/column/row theme.  I know people that have been in a match for over 30 min trying to get friggin corners.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Roster aside, I guess this is the side effect of knowing how to play with only meta teams. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does every single fight/event in the game have to be trivial?  Does everything have to be for everyone?  Can't they occasionally offer a difficult event with bad rewards for the people who appreciate difficult fights?
    If the extra reward was just a simple cp, I'd gladly play a harder challenge without a doubt. 
    Not sure why people usually playing scl7 and scl10 must play the exact same event. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Srheer0 said:
    If anyone has a foolproof way of doing the far right node where you have to use one of the featured characters to create a column of strikes vs D3ken and Mantis please share.

Tried it once with m3gs, hoping that by destroying the TUP tiles and shuffling the blues it would give me some success. Nope.

Tried it 7 or so times with Silk. Killed the enemy team about 5 times and silk died twice. Each time the win condition gets near to happening, there is either a (fortified) web tile in the way from me firing blue power or a TUP tile is in the way. Or some of the strike tiles have to be matched.

Frustrating me no end. I have even tried saving up 21+ blue ap to fire the power enough times. And again nope. No luck.
    Use Karnak (3/5/5). Go in with boosted red ap and two Polaris team-ups. Collect 20 red and 14 team-up ap. By the time that you have enough ap there should be at least one column with a decent amount of strikes in it. Use his red power twice to clear out any team-up and basic tiles in that column. Also, a tip would be to avoid trying this on a column that has a lot of one color in it so you don't risk making a match in that color when you remove the non-strike tiles like (green strike, green strike, team-up tile, green strike). Finally, you then use the Polaris team-ups and it should fill up the remaining tiles with strikes to get you the win.

Thank you. I got lucky with 2x polaris tups and used silk. Fired her black a few times after the tups and then one or two firings of her blue luckilly won the puzzle. And not in the two columns that were free of tup tiles at the time lol.

Very relieved. and as usual didn't get the 5star support. Maybe after another 50-100 gauntlets I will luck out and get a 5star support.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I managed to make a column of strike tiles using Karnak on my third try. I used the Chimichanga support for extra red and 3 Polaris team-ups. The first time I killed both Daken and Mantis before building enough Red. The second time was my own fault, I fired Karnak s blue by mistake 

On the third try I avoided matching blue so Daken could heal properly and switched often between foes so their heals could keep up with my damage. Once I had 30 red I started blowing up tiles from the corner column and firing Polaris blue to build more strikes. Took all three of them, but it worked.
  • Tiarin_Hino
    Tiarin_Hino Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I know I'm a bit late here, but here's my Video with advices regarding this Puzzle Gauntlet. It's with timecodes for each node, for easy navigation between them. Hope that would help to anyone still struggling with it:
    https://youtu.be/e9_klTysM9k
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    hothie said:

Seeing as how a player's success (or irritation level) in the Puzzle Gauntlet is normally very dependent upon the characters they have, and at what levels those characters are, should the Puzzle Gauntlets have an SCL?

Players with a wider roster of characters that are effective for completing the Gauntlet's challenges have a much higher chance of success than those who are still in the process of building their rosters. Perhaps the level of difficulty in completing the challenges can be altered to specific SCL levels, which are traditionally based upon a player's SHIELD ranking.

The problem with this is the same problem that SCL based on SHIELD level has in other parts of the game. SHIELD level has no direct correlation to how good your roster is. You can have a very high SHIELD level and a very low level roster. As in PvP you can be forced to play in SCL 8 or above (based on a high SHIELD level) and yet your roster could be loaded with nothing better than maxed 2* characters (for that matter you could also just have 1* characters).
    I have no idea how they could implement it but SCLs based on your actual roster strength would be much better. I guess there is already MMR in the game so maybe base SCL on that instead?

• hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Rhipf said:
    hothie said:

Players with a wider roster of characters that are effective for completing the Gauntlet's challenges have a much higher chance of success than those who are still in the process of building their rosters. Perhaps the level of difficulty in completing the challenges can be altered to specific SCL levels, which are traditionally based upon a player's SHIELD ranking.

The problem with this is the same problem that SCL based on SHIELD level has in other parts of the game. SHIELD level has no direct correlation to how good your roster is. You can have a very high SHIELD level and a very low level roster. As in PvP you can be forced to play in SCL 8 or above (based on a high SHIELD level) and yet your roster could be loaded with nothing better than maxed 2* characters (for that matter you could also just have 1* characters).
    I have no idea how they could implement it but SCLs based on your actual roster strength would be much better. I guess there is already MMR in the game so maybe base SCL on that instead?

Fair. If there is a better solution I'm all for it. I was just trying to offer a concrete suggestion rather than simply complaining without offering anything. I know there are many veteran players that may have far better and easier solutions than what I can offer. Either way, I hope August is at least different in a better way than July was. :)
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Rhipf said:
    hothie said:

We actually used to have this.  PvE was scaled to your roster, so everyone fought different level opponents that were considered appropriate for them.  For example, a 550 player fought lvl650 opponents in every fight, while a 2* player fought lvl50 opponents.

Every PvE was won by dedicated PvE rosters who worked out the math to level their entire roster no higher than a particular level.  There were rosters where every single character (including 5*) had 13 covers, but everyone was at lvl266. 

5* players with characters over lvl450 had no chance vs these softcappers, nor did lower tier players who built their roster in a normal fashion.

So basically SCL exists because a lot of players exploited the previous system so much that the devs were forced to do something about it.  In fact, almost every mechanic in this game exists for that reason.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who was that dude, fightmastermpq or something similar? He had this motto "Friends don't let friends soft cap".

Of course the softcappers suffered in PvP so it was a double edged sword but as PvP was less popular I guess that was the trade off. I was in 3* land so just watched on bemused!
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Basically almost everything players dislike about the game is the fault of other players exploiting a flaw that had to be patched, so if you don't like the way things are, blame other players.

That matchmaking system everyone hates?  When the game debuted, PvP matchmaking was done by overall win/loss record. 

Players very quickly figured out that if you lose a match when at 0 points, you don't lose any points. 

So we'd lose 1000 matches from zero to tank our win percentage below 1% so we'd see 1* players, then every time difficult opponents showed up we'd lose another few hundred fights.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That its a crazy way to burn your phone on 2 days.
    But I can believe that for sure.
    In another game devs thought to give 5*s at a minimum rate after a battle because of the anniversary. Players realized it was not needed to win for having chances to win those 5*s, and they even used bots for to quit battle after battle 24 hours along 4 days.
    Some players find more pleasure in exploiting than playing. 
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Miles, Bag-Man, and Gwen.
    Hoard purple.  Match all the web tiles you can (which will generate purple due to Mile's passive yellow) and heal you (because of Gwen's passive yellow).  If there's no web tile match, look for purple then yellow then red then team-ups.  Once you have 18 purple, look for a column without team-ups.  If you have one, spam Mile's yellow to fill out what you can in the board, then use Bag-Man's purple to swap any tiles in that column that are left.  This will turn them to web tiles and end it.  Just be sure that they don't make matches after switching.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Basically almost everything players dislike about the game is the fault of other players exploiting a flaw that had to be patched, so if you don't like the way things are, blame other players.

That matchmaking system everyone hates?  When the game debuted, PvP matchmaking was done by overall win/loss record. 

Players very quickly figured out that if you lose a match when at 0 points, you don't lose any points. 

So we'd lose 1000 matches from zero to tank our win percentage below 1% so we'd see 1* players, then every time difficult opponents showed up we'd lose another few hundred fights.
    Before my time old man

lol