New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just an update from my end. I play this on Steam on a PC and have the same issues seen mostly throughout this thread. However my daughter plays on mobile and its not as bad on there as it is on Steam. At least in my opinion.
    How does that stack up with everybody else?
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow.  I thought for sure that there would be a response by now.  I know I am hardly alone in my awareness of how bad they are at responding to our backlash, but i am still always surprised when it happens (spoiler alert, it has happened numerous times throughout the years and will continue to do so).

The fact that we are 10 pages in and have heard hardly a peep is pretty depressing.   Glanced at Reddit and Facebook, and plenty of people bring all of this up over there as well, and just as silent.  

I like to think they have a coin they flip to see if they should respond to stuff.  Tails, they come to the forum; heads, they say and do nothing hoping it will pass.  Except someone switched it out with a two headed coin years ago...
    Maybe you didn't notice, but they kinda discontinued the position for community manager. Of course you're not hearing anything.

Unrelated: I understand people might not really like it, but the amount of whining is this thread is insane. While there are certainly things that could be improved, it's really not that bad.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Just an update from my end. I play this on Steam on a PC and have the same issues seen mostly throughout this thread. However my daughter plays on mobile and its not as bad on there as it is on Steam. At least in my opinion.
    How does that stack up with everybody else?
    I can't speak to how it looks on steam but I can say playing on my phone I've gotten used to it.  I still don't like it as much as the old Ui and special tiles and powers ready to fire are a bit harder to see.  As for the dimming on AI turn, I don't know if it's my phone or that I have brightness set pretty high or both but it's barely noticeable for me.  The screen dims very slightly, but I'm still able to see everything perfectly clearly and look for matches during the Ai turn.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2021
    Options
    The absolute best thing about this, is when my friends ask about the game and they say something degrading like, "Oh, so it's like Candy Crush?", I can now say...
    "nooo--   yeah, totally"
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Remove the dimming and make full power visible again: those are simple bad design.
    the rest, I could live with...
  • Hellrey
    Hellrey Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think the changes made did not benefit the game. Visually the tiles do not look good both in color, size and spacing.
    I can't find a justification for darkening the screen while the opponent is playing and it's annoying to plan the next moves.
    The game seems slower and this is an important point that affects the gameplay and experience of beginners and veteran users.
    The focus should be on other visual elements, better character designs, backgrounds, effects, transitions.
    Better story and events planning.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    Wow.  I thought for sure that there would be a response by now.  I know I am hardly alone in my awareness of how bad they are at responding to our backlash, but i am still always surprised when it happens (spoiler alert, it has happened numerous times throughout the years and will continue to do so).

The fact that we are 10 pages in and have heard hardly a peep is pretty depressing.   Glanced at Reddit and Facebook, and plenty of people bring all of this up over there as well, and just as silent.  

I like to think they have a coin they flip to see if they should respond to stuff.  Tails, they come to the forum; heads, they say and do nothing hoping it will pass.  Except someone switched it out with a two headed coin years ago...
    Maybe you didn't notice, but they kinda discontinued the position for community manager. Of course you're not hearing anything.

Unrelated: I understand people might not really like it, but the amount of whining is this thread is insane. While there are certainly things that could be improved, it's really not that bad.
    Oh, i am aware.  But you will also see that someone *finally* did say something.  I'm not so naive to think that would never happen, I was commenting on how long it would take.  Even a "we are looking into it" is better than the nothing we were getting for 24+ hours.

Unrelated: how very dismissive of you.  I've gone through this thread and read pretty much all of the responses. Even the obvious trolls that I have muted, those that never have a bad thing to say about the devs and are always contrarian to the rest of the people, and even they are not that positive about the change.  Nevermind the fact that we all know it's a game. I don't have to go over that.  But most of the negative comments are pretty plain about the problems they are having, and then there are also people with legitimate medical issues with playing.  I wouldn't really call that an "insane" amount of whining. Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean one doesn't exist. 
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I appreciate the overall facelift of the interface but I’d like to turn off the dimming, make blue and green more vibrant, and improve the contrast of black enemy strike tiles.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The stuns bugged me a while.  I was really hoping this would be a chance to fix it.  Self rotate would be great.  Or not as great but still usable would be if when you clicked on your in-fightscreen character and cycled through with arrows, if next to the already existing stun symbol, it showed number of rounds too,

I noticed today, the headache feeling that persisted all night isn’t as strong.  Maybe in a week it will be unnoticeable,  and turning up the brightness on my iPad seems to help.  Both with that maybe and also board recognition.

thing is, I don’t want to eat through battery time.  Because it’s a pain to go into settings every time just to adjust for this game.  Maybe internal sliders for this apps brightness specifically.  And maybe even two sliders for brightness of character symbol and then also tile effect symbols.  So could make special tiles more prominent.  But that’s all sounding way too fiddly and particular, when really best solution is just give us a toggle for the whole thing.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 599 Critical Contributor
    Options
    At least some of these things can be gotten used to but the bottom line is they make the game harder to play. That is not a good thing.
  • Shiholude
    Shiholude Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Sorry to start off with a negative, but I highly dislike the darker background when the AI turn plays. I plan my next attack while the AI plays, and the faded board causes strain on my eyes. Real strain. I played for 10 minutes and I could actually FEEL my eyes hurting some. This has never happened before this update. I'm not being a whiny mid-40's person here, this is a serious issue for me, and highly game breaking IMO. 

I also agree with others regarding the saturation on the power build up bars. They are very hard to see when they are at full, and the "flash" indicator is very dull, so much so that I've had to click on the character detail several times to see if I had enough points. Again, never a problem with this on the older board.

The enemy countdown tiles are great, and very visible - I can actually see them now!

The charged tiles are hard to see, as they seem to have a less-prominent outline.

The character symbols on the tiles are middle of the road for me - they all seem to blend together, and I cannot determine at a quick glance who is whom. But when looking at them, they seem clearer than before.

I agree with many others that a TOGGLE feature should be implemented for these changes. This is the main game board, and where we sped the most time in the game. It should have an optional feature in this case.
  • icarusrising
    icarusrising Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I love this change, this is the dark mode I've been wanting since I started playing this game.

Also, seeing more of the characters is a nice addition.

Thank you for doing this.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’m sorry to say but I absolutely hate the new design. This no longer feels like the game I’ve been playing daily for the past seven years. It feels like a random F2P match game that my daughter randomly downloaded to her iPad that will be deleted within a week.