***** Cyclops (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think we've ever seen a scrap and rebuild between announcement and release, but we have seen some power cost adjustment and maybe some edgecase cleanup. 
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    IceIX said:

Hearts of Darkness

• Starts: February 11th, 7 am

• Ends:  February 15th, 2am

• Cyclops (Phoenix Five) in placement rewards

Shouldn't this actually say:
    Cyclops (Phoenix Five) shards in placement rewards

I also assume that:

PVP Matchmaking (Valentine’s Tournament)

• Starts: February 11th, 8pm

• Ends: February 15th, 3am

• Cyclops (Phoenix Five) as a placement reward

will be shards in the placement rewards but the preview hasn't shown up yet so I can't confirm.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Confirmation by Dev on Discord - 5Cyke's Yellow does stack, Up to 300% total match damage increase.
    Oh is the discord Oracle back to doling out intel?
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 596 Critical Contributor
    Polares said:
    Magneto’s TIME TO SHINE!
    Well... You could use Magneto's blue to simultaneously send him airborne and create a few yellow tiles...

Then, use those yellow to quickly collect AP... To use to send Carol airborne...

Thus, leaving Cyclops alone and ready to use his black...

Boom... New meta.
    You mean ready to start collecting 13 black AP and some team up tiles. Lets hope we can get them before Magneto and Carol come back :P

PS: I know you were joking, but man I am really salty with this release...
    Yeah, same boat.  I was expecting more.

Even with confirmation the yellow stacks, I'm thinking he won't see much play.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    How many weak green powers targeting specials are they going to release? They keep doing variations and they’re all bad. Enough already.

Red and green are both terrible powers. Red might legit be the worst red in the entire tier, going back to 2016. Mind boggling. Cyclops, powered by the Phoenix may have the worst red in the 5* tier?!?? How is that even possible?

Totally agree that they could salvage him pre release if they staggered the repeaters, made green cost 8, and doubled the red damage. He still wouldn’t be close to meta, but he might be pretty fun. As is, huge disappointment.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apologies if this has been answered, but for the yellow "swap to basic tiles" is it the player that can choose the tiles or is it a random swap of tiles?  If it's the player, he could be useful when facing Kacelius.

Just looking for something good out of this.....
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    It's nice the yellow stacks, other than that another disappointing release. What a long stretch of lousy 5s, unbelievable. 

Not just the last slew of 5s, but I'm still salty on Carol being wack and GED not being done justice. 

I wish D3 would implement a way to trade LL tokens for CPs. At least then you could get more out of the special stores when the LLs are excruciatingly dull. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It didn't state "choose" or "select" in the text, so it should be random. 

Examples of characters who share similar "swap" wordings with Cyclops:

Medusa, Sandman, Negasonic, 3* Magneto, 3* Loki

Characters who can choose which tiles to swap:

Agent Coulson, Quiksilver

Again, wordings aren't really consistent. So, only players with compromised account can answer you with 100% accuracy.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Is stacking up to +300% good enough?  Imagine if kitty or c4rol's tile boosting was capped at +300% (or at +3000 which is about the same strengthl; I don't think they would be worth using at all.  Damage buffs are essential to the current game, and and I don't know if 400% total match damage is going to reliably win matches in challenge nodes.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited February 2021
    I think it should be more than 300% if you fire it 4 times. Assuming match damage is 1000,

Fire first time: 1000*1.75 = 1750
    Fire second time: 1750*1.75= 3062.5
    Therefore, fire 4th time: 1000*1.75^4=9378.90

.... Unless they code it in such a way that it remembers only the base damage at the start of the game. Then your calculation would be:

Fire the 1st time: 1000*75%= 750 
    Fire the 4th time: 1000 + (750*4) = 4000

As you can see, the difference in match damage is huge: 9378 vs 4000, depending on how it calculates the increase, and I'm using only 1000 match damage for easier calculation. Typical 5* match damage is between 2500 to 2800 nowadays.

• Romanshi
    Romanshi Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    I think it should be more than 300% if you fire it 4 times. Assuming match damage is 1000,

Fire first time: 1000*1.75 = 1750
    Fire second time: 1750*1.75= 3062.5
    Therefore, fire 4th time: 1000*1.75^4=9378.90

.... Unless they code it in such a way that it remembers only the base damage at the start of the game. Then your calculation would be:

Fire the 1st time: 1000*75%= 750 
    Fire the 4th time: 1000 + (750*4) = 4000
    Except you should add 4000 damage to initial 1000 damage.
    But i really hope that at the very least this buff would be multiplicative, not additive (Cyk5 still would stay meh anyway).
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    So a 300% match damage increase - something that some 4*s do passively - for the low, low price of 28 yellow AP. Careful now, power creep might be getting out of control; I think I'll need a lie down to handle the enormity of this power. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    what doesn’t Kill Me at 3 covers is a 300% improvement on hulk’s match. It’s hard to tell of that is meaningful because I’m more focused on him killing my team at that point though
  • freakygeek
    freakygeek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Should have had a passive that did extra damage to PX to line up with the comics  B)

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not tried him myself but is the comparison with Kitty's buffing maybe a bit off? Kitty's buff is only good if you have strike tiles (or whatever) on the board and they are not matched away. Cyclop's yellow though bestows the match damage boost no matter what the board condition is. Sure you are paying a premium that you don't with Kitty but a bad cascade or similar doesn't wipe your hard earned gains.
    Now I am not saying that this makes him good or even mediocre but it *might* be a fair comment that mitigates his yellow power to a small extent. Or possibly not. I guess I am fishing about for *something*.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think all points to play him and to see how yellow works. If the player can pair tiles then its a pretty good power and his others are just accesory ones. Because magneto, AW, and ghostpool do a lot of damage. Adding PX the mix could be great(onslaught better not because cyclops needs TU).
    YJ going invisible with permanent match damage can do some big hurt.
    He is a supporting character and that is always favored and like I said perhaps he will inspire match damage meta.
    I suppose tomorrow we will play him. Not like today.
    Of course nothing will be faster than okoye meta.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited February 2021
    His Dark Phoenix triggers even when your allies are stunned. The bad part is it doesn't revert back to his yellow power. Also, there's a cap of 375% increase of match damage. So, it's additive.  It doesn't add to Cyclops match damage. Tile swaps are random.

I do like his animations.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    There's no way the tile swaps were going to be by hand, it's random. With 10 team up it would be 10 swapped pairs == never in the player's hands.

Yeah those repeaters though, way way too long, agree with everyone here. 

I do think the costs should be lower, but those swaps should help get red & green going a bit. You're still dead against iHulk, but maybe in reasonable shape against BRB Kitty teams. Need red at level 5 to get a 3rd repeater??. Eek.

Still trying hard for a silver lining here..

Cyclops just might be OK vs Peggy. Make sure she fires her blue with cyke in front & he transforms when your teammates are stunned. 13 black or maybe even more though if Peggy is above 30% - 40% health.
    This could also happen vs Spider-Gwen or 3* Gamora, though it's random