***** Cyclops (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 171 Tile Toppler
    Loosie said:
    I'm assuming the Eye in the Sky store is February 21st - 25th and not January?
    I think this is a copy and paste error from Yellowjacket store which ran Jan 21-25 last month. If it follows previous patterns, this store should start a week after release, Feb 18-22.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2021
    Seems overdesigned like some others have mentioned, also lacking in damage output and powers a bit too costly or conditional in black. He might be kind of fun to play, but still can't get myself excited here and can't help but feel let down yet again. Certainly not a release that's going to make want me open a stash up, especially when Mags/AW are his partners in LLs at the moment. 

Like others I'm also curious with his yellow if it can be used twice right after another if you have enough attack power, if that boosts the match damage even higher or still only boots the 65-75%. Green seems too expensive for a meh 2 turn random stun and color converts, at least it targets strike/protects first. 

Red seems like it could have been a decent weapon against Ihulk. However with the repeater tiles at 3 turns they you'll surely end up losing 1 or 2 often. The power at 9 AP isn't too expensive and is ok for the up front damage, at least unlike 5Carol with her red and repeater **** and no instant damage. I feel like this red still isn't going to be very effective against Ihulk teams. Between losing repeaters before they go off, also considering it only takes a couple Okoye TU matches to get Ihulk going. Before some of those repeaters may complete, the match could be well out of hand to begin with.  

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    ... I guess I'm the only one who saw that yellow for increasing match damage and thought....

"Hmm... I wonder if Adam Warlock gets boosted with that, along with his OWN boosted match damage...?"

Or is it a given that it doesn't?

Because... um.. if it does, I'm willing to think that Adam's match damage would be disgusting.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    ... I guess I'm the only one who saw that yellow for increasing match damage and thought....

"Hmm... I wonder if Adam Warlock gets boosted with that, along with his OWN boosted match damage...?"

Because... um.. if it does, I'm willing to think that Adam's match damage would be disgusting.
    I was actually wondering how Hulk treats that too - maybe Magneto/Hulk/Cyclops is that team you want? Get magneto in the air, earn some yellow, inspire that team, kill some hulks...maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe come out alive? 

• Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    PiMacleod said:

I thought about it for a minute.  The stacked match damage would be crazy, but there's no reason to chase TU which fuels his yellow board shake, and the biggest issue is them fighting over yellow AP. But....

Would you run Warlock 5/5/3 and forgo his AOE and self damage to keep him healthy and match boosted?  That's an interesting possibility. 

In pick 3 that strategy could pair with Ghostpool.  Completes the rainbow coverage, gives you more passive damage on match, his red is way better than Cyke's and a second stun, and a good cheap black power with nuke potential that also keeps Warlock from self harming.  Probably not meta-shaking fast but a fun idea.

I can't see them being effective in pick 2.  Especially not against Kitty BRB in PVP.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Wil88 said:
    I’m more excited that BRB is in the Eye in the Sky tokens than I am about this new 5*. Should finally be able to get him champed. 
    I imagine lots of people agree.

I need 6 covers and I'll have around 100 pulls.  Not the worst odds in the world.
  • SourCream
    SourCream Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    SourCream said:
    Can he survives long enough to cast any ability against Hulk ?

That's current state of PVP, sadly. 4* not enough health and 5* can't do anything against Hulk.
    Brb/kitty kills any ihulk team. 5* Carnage will stop ihulk green door.
    Not about beating Hulk with older 5*. More about newer characters are nearly irrelevant, because Hulk downs them all in X turns. Out of all the 4* and 5* after Hulk, how many are DOA ? Any 5* team without Hulk can beat with roster diversity. With Hulk, selection is very limited.
  • BlixTheFrog
    BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Theghouse said:
    Wil88 said:
    I’m more excited that BRB is in the Eye in the Sky tokens than I am about this new 5*. Should finally be able to get him champed. 
    I imagine lots of people agree.

I need 6 covers and I'll have around 100 pulls.  Not the worst odds in the world.

Well I only miss one cover that I'll soon get with Throg, so for me that's a case of "NOW you put in a store ?". :D:smiley:
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    The store doesn't do much for me. My BRB is already good to go and whilst my Phoenix is decently covered but not yet champable, I am not really chasing her. It would have been nice if they had put one of the 5's that doesn't have a feeder in.
    As for Cyclops - it seems to me that his black is really designed as more of an insurance policy due to his yellow requiring team mates. It is expensive but I guess the idea is that you bank the black as you go along and then Cyclops is not left with a useless power if he happens to be last man standing (remember the heady days of OML still having passive healing when everybody else was dead?). What would have been even better would have been if it transformed that it converted all banked team-up AP to black to help speed up being able to fire it.
    His red and green powers should have had a nice synergy but like others have said getting those repeaters to fire before they get wiped out will be hard. Should have been fortified.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Suffers from the same problem as Loki and many other potentially decent 5*s that just have too long repeaters.

Another pass for me.

So thats, Adam, Deadpool, Havok, Heimdall, Killmonger, Mags, Mr Sinister, Onslaught and Yellow Jacket all skipped since I last broke tokens.

Nearly 18,000 CP and 310 LTs. Losing the will to continue! Chuck us a decent 5* please and not another one that could be good if all the planets align on a future release. That almost never happens.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Can he be run with Jean Phoenix? If so, maybe Jean/Loki is a decent team for him. His yellow seems like it is intended to supercharge your allies till they die from tanking everything, thereby making him list man standing, which feels like something as a player you maybe aren’t that interested in triggering too often.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    I could see that @ThaRoadWarrior, but I doubt anyone wants to plan for a match to last that long.  I mean -- I could see having fun with it here or there, maybe something odd to throw at a non-meta team in PvP...?  

If I get him covered, I'll try it.  :tongue:
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    What is it lately with these supposedly great mutant leaders abandoning/chucking their team at the enemy in a sacrificial manner?!?!?! :D
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    PiMacleod said:
    I could see that @ThaRoadWarrior, but I doubt anyone wants to plan for a match to last that long.  I mean -- I could see having fun with it here or there, maybe something odd to throw at a non-meta team in PvP...?  

If I get him covered, I'll try it.  :tongue:
    I would put accomplishing that as a personal Achievement, like using 4ocket/Carbage/Banner to take 3 auto-turns per turn, or using a Suicide Doom to clear a polaris board and then reviving him with Lumbercap or something.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Is it too late to fix him?
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Ptahhotep said:
    If his yellow switches to black and he subsequently regains an active ally does it revert to yellow or remain black?
    It should stay black.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe, past experiences show that all the controversial 5* that have been nerfed are all X-Men, like OML and Gambit. On top of that, they are popular. They probably nerfed Magneto and Cyclops before releasing them. This save them the trouble of compensating players and reworking them.  >:)
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is a very interesting character in fact he can collect all colors and TU except blue and purple. And that is a problem he needs all that AP and TU for himself. He will need people like carnage5 or PX onslaught for help him.
    And then he can damage on 3 power doing another thing at same time, a jack-of-all-trades, removing green or special tiles. 
    But who will be the one boosting him? Apocalypse surely not as the colors ars the same and apocalypse has better powers.
    Gritty team not sure as ciclops can shake the board.
    And okoye is married with Ihulk. And she desnt like people quitting her from the front.
    He could be strategic and funny to play. But slow. Even if the player can match pairs manually he needs to collect TU, although this feature could save him on a PX team.
    Still he has not a clear booster, if not inspiring a match tile damage team. If that was the case his powers would not damage too much for its costs.