***** Cyclops (Phoenix Five) *****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited April 2021 in Character Details
2021-02-02--NC-CYclops-Phoenix-all-sizes1200x628-Fbpng
Cyclops (Phoenix Five)
5-Star Rarity 
Affiliations: Heroes, X-Men, Mutants

"When the Phoenix Force returned to Earth, it didn't bond to Hope Summers, but instead to a group of five Mutants. Now Cyclops leads the Phoenix Five, working to rebuild the world into the one he envisioned Hope would create. But is it possible for him to reach that vision without giving in to the all-consuming power of the Phoenix?" 
(Abilities listed at level 255, followed by 450)
18821 Health / 75651 Health
 197 | 222 | 27 | 25 | 173 | 29 | 110 | 3.5x
 789 | 888 | 104 | 96 | 691 | 113 | 439 | 3.5x
Phoenix Blast - 9  AP
Cyclops's optic blast strikes his target directly, while the Phoenix's flames rush past and set the battlefield ablaze. Deals 2078 damage and creates 2 Red 3-turn Repeater tiles that destroy 1 Green basic tile. (Destroyed tiles deal damage and generate AP). (Max level 8353 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 2307 damage. (Max level 9272 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 2556 damage. (Max level 10274 damage)
  • Level 4: Deals 2951 damage. (Max level 11861 damage)
  • Level 5: Creates 3 Red Repeater tiles.
Savior of Mutantkind - 7  AP
Cyclops guides his team, inspiring them to be the best they can possibly be. Increases all Cyclops's teammates' match damage by 60%. For every 3 Team-Up AP you have, swap a pair of basic tiles.

(PASSIVE) If Cyclops has no active teammates, swap Cyclops's Yellow and Black match damage and this power becomes Dark Phoenix Unleashed.
  • Level 2: Increases match damage by 65%.
  • Level 3: Swaps a pair of basic tiles for every 2 Team-Up AP you have.
  • Level 4: Increases match damage by 75%.
  • Level 5: Swaps a pair of basic tiles for each Team-Up AP you have.
Dark Phoenix Unleashed - 13  AP
Cyclops lets loose all the power of the Phoenix Force on his enemies. Drains all friendly Team-Up AP and deal 2745 damage to the enemy team plus 235 additional damage for each AP drained this way. (Max level 11032 / 946 damage)

(PASSIVE) Cyclops cannot be Stunned.
  • Level 2: Deals 2937 damage to the enemy team plus 275 additional damage for each AP drained. (Max level 11804/1107 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 3129 damage to the enemy team plus 313 additional damage for each AP drained. (Max level 12576/1258 damage)
  • Level 4: Deals 3733 damage to the enemy team plus 353 additional damage for each AP drained. (Max level 15004/1419 damage)
  • Level 5: Deals 4914 damage to the enemy team plus 430 additional damage for each AP drained. (Max level 19747/1731 damage)
Disarming Gaze - 10  AP
Cyclops bombards his enemies with concussive blasts, sundering their weaponry. Stuns a random enemy for 2 turns and converts 4 tiles to Red basic tiles, targeting enemy Strike tiles first.
  • Level 2: Converts 5 tiles to Red basic tiles.
  • Level 3: Converts 6 tiles to Red basic tiles.
  • Level 4: Converts 7 tiles to Red basic tiles.
  • Level 5: Targets enemy Strike and Protect tiles first.

Release Events:

Store Offerings

Incendiary Cyclops Cover Store

• Starts: February 11th 7am

• Ends:  February 21st 7am

• Chance to get Cyclops (Phoenix Five). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls

Scott Summers Limited Vault

• Starts: February 18th 12pm

• Ends:  February 22nd 11:59pm

• 40 Items

• 1x Eye in the Sky Legendary Store Token

• 1x 4-Star Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) cover

• 3x Random 3-Star covers

• 6x Heroic tokens

• 4x 2500 Iso

• 6x 1000 Iso

• 5x 500 Iso

• 14x Two stars

Eye in the Sky Legendary Store

• Starts: January 21st 12pm

• Ends:  January 25th 11:59pm

• 15% chance to get Cyclops (Phoenix Five), Beta Ray Bill (Korbinite Cyborg), or Jean Grey (Phoenix)

• Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Release Debut:

Hearts of Darkness

• Starts: February 11th, 7 am

• Ends:  February 15th, 2am

• Cyclops (Phoenix Five) in placement rewards

Introducing… Cyclops

• Starts: February 11th, 7 am

• Ends:  February 18th, 7 am

• Cyclops (Phoenix Five) Shards in rewards

Featured Event:

Meet Rocket & Groot

• Starts: February 14th, 7am

• Ends: February 18th, 2am

• Cyclops (Phoenix Five) as a progression reward

Versus Tournaments:

PVP Matchmaking (Valentine’s Tournament)

• Starts: February 11th, 8pm

• Ends: February 15th, 3am

• Cyclops (Phoenix Five) as a placement reward

Fire and Eyes

• Starts: February 14th 8am

• Ends: February 17th, 3pm

• Rewards tokens to the Incendiary Cyclops cover store

Comments

• san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    first comment! yay

Looks interesting. Only the second character with more than 3 colours (potentially)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards

Cyclops guides his team, inspiring them to be the best they can possibly be. Increases all Cyclops's teammates' match damage by 60%. For every 3 Team-Up AP you have, swap a pair of basic tiles.
    Does that mean you can keep using it and keep buffing match damage? Cause that's interesting.

san said:
    first comment! yay

Looks interesting. Only the second character with more than 3 colours (potentially)
    Third, I believe. Legion is the obvious one, with all colors available. But Banner goes from Purple/Black/Blue to Red/Green when he Hulks out. I used to pitch for them to add a yellow passive that didn't actually do anything as an excuse to make him a rainbow character (it should say "The Hulk can see ghosts" because that's technically a comic ability of his, but doesn't need to have an actual game effect, just for grins and giggles).

Totally forgivable to forget about him, though.

• TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Seems a bit slow and cool ability won't get used much
  • BlixTheFrog
    BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    At the very least, he seems far more usable than recent 5 stars. This yellow power, the green battery, the unstunnable thing if he remains alone AND stunning ability (not many 5 stars do that)... I don't know, it seems to me that combined with BRB and Apo it can be pretty brutal.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    I Just worked out the numbers for his black, and if I’m correct, at 30 team up ap, you’ll be dealing 71,677 unboosted damage. How does that stack up with other characters? I’m pretty sure apoc can do similar amounts with his black in smaller chunks.

shame about the 13 ap cost and tricky requirements though. I’m just wondering about how to make your allies active without having them downed. I assume airborne would work, and any self stunners, but I can’t think of any particularly good pairings off the top of my head
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    As usual, they make an ability to directly counter a meta character, but it's too slow to be useful in that role. Once red's repeaters get going, they completely shut down ihulk.

Looks like the X-Men (Phoenix, OML) have these seemingly cool late game transform abilities, that in practice never end up being useful.

Overall looks interesting, but doesn't have a clear use on a team.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    a 3 turn repeater that isn't fortified is INSANELY SLOW.

ihulk will decimate the team in 3 turns if you're not careful.

You'll be lucky if that ever actually happens.

His green, is very expensive, 10 ap for a 2 turn random stun, and a little bit of red generation?

I can't really decide what I would have him as - I want to see that yellow in action because that COULD be devasting.

do we have a good yellow generator in 5star?
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    JHawkInc said:

Does that mean you can keep using it and keep buffing match damage? Cause that's interesting.
    Certainly reads like a passive that only boosts his allies so they tank all the time.

He´s green and active yellow is meant to take advantage of cascades and increased match damage but there´s a risk of wiping out any repeaters you have out. Just feels counterproductive.

First impressions, he´s a glass cannon that needs a good defensive partner.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2021
    If the repeater tiles look like a ihulk counter but they really aren't  even if you naturally match 9 red by the 4th turn, you still have 3 turns until you get rid of any green...

It's really just a battery for his green.

He's more of a support and late game nuke

Him, charles, iceman, rogue or onslaught could be interesting though
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    His red and green power are bonded and could neutralice Ihulk but it is really expensive.
    I think his best power is yellow for dealing a lot of damage with AW or KM. I suppose the basic tiles swapped are auto and random. Still it is a good power for to accelerate the AP incoming.
    So strange! His match damage is not creeped.
    It could had purple instead of yellow. He overlaps too much with apocalypse. 
    Perhaps it could inspire a new match damage meta as I said. 
    I think he is good overall. 

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Hmm it really all comes down to the yellow, if it stacks, he's good, if it doesn't it's TBD.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bzhai said:
    JHawkInc said:

Certainly reads like a passive that only boosts his allies so they tank all the time.

He´s green and active yellow is meant to take advantage of cascades and increased match damage but there´s a risk of wiping out any repeaters you have out. Just feels counterproductive.

First impressions, he´s a glass cannon that needs a good defensive partner.
    Except that power has a separate passive component. The passive switches his yellow/black match damage and gives him a new powers. That first part definitely reads like an active that buffs allied match damage and then does extra swaps if you have team-up AP. I mean, the match damage part is even before the swap part, and if it were meant to be part of the passive component, you would expect the swap part of the power to come first, you know?
  • SourCream
    SourCream Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Can he survives long enough to cast any ability against Hulk ?

That's current state of PVP, sadly. 4* not enough health and 5* can't do anything against Hulk.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omegased said:
    do we have a good yellow generator in 5star?
    Thor?

Once upon a time Danver5, is THIS the reason she got nerfed?
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    at first glance, i'm not very impressed.
    3-turn, unfortified repeaters will almost never make it. unless you're very lucky, that's at least 6 turns before the first one gets to fire, even if it makes it.
    yellow is potentially nice, but i can't really see myself preferring him to apoc or okoye.
    black will just never happen on offense, and pretty easy to avoid if he's on defense.
    green removes a lot of tiles, but is way too expensive - the only use would be vs gritty or brb, and by the time you have 10 green it's too late.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems quite slow. 

That yellow power looks bomb though. Could be even more bomb if you could select the tiles you swap. 

Everything else looks too slow. Struggling to find who he could team up with. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    MrEd95 said:
    I Just worked out the numbers for his black, and if I’m correct, at 30 team up ap, you’ll be dealing 71,677 unboosted damage. How does that stack up with other characters? I’m pretty sure apoc can do similar amounts with his black in smaller chunks.

shame about the 13 ap cost and tricky requirements though. I’m just wondering about how to make your allies active without having them downed. I assume airborne would work, and any self stunners, but I can’t think of any particularly good pairings off the top of my head
    My Apoc at level 483 can do about 96K damage.  Cyclops does AOE.  The problem is you can’t have any active allies around to use it.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    I'm assuming the Eye in the Sky store is February 21st - 25th and not January?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021

I am overall disappointed in this character.  His red does Meh damage especially for the cost of AP compared to other 5*.  A 3 turn repeater is pretty terrible especially since you need to use 9 red first.

yellow his best power.  A 75% increase in match damage is fairly good.  The tram question is how consistent will the tile swap be in making matches.

black.  First really expensive.  2nd unless there is a character that will turn or make you other 2 allies airborn is completely useless.  Now if you do fire this power it will inflict massive damage, but unfortunately it will either cost 2 health packs or a mysterious 3rd character.

green: could have potential but expensive.  If this power cost 7 it would be really good.  At 10 it is probably a fire one maybe.

a 3,5,5 and a very disappointing character