Your thoughts and enthusiasm if the next 5* is weak sauce ?

Options

Comments

• McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Help me out here, why does everyone keep bringing up Yellowjacket in the same conversation as characters like Apoc, Hulk, and Adam Warlock (aka: Good)? Yellowjacket has been largely trash thus far and I don’t see his usefulness skyrocketing all of a sudden, even with an interesting gimmick. Doesn’t move the needle at all for me. 
    I just unlocked him he’s really really good.  By far my best marvel character.   Wish I had more purples to try to get more
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    Help me out here, why does everyone keep bringing up Yellowjacket in the same conversation as characters like Apoc, Hulk, and Adam Warlock (aka: Good)? Yellowjacket has been largely trash thus far and I don’t see his usefulness skyrocketing all of a sudden, even with an interesting gimmick. Doesn’t move the needle at all for me. 
    Infinite invisibility + high damage.
    In today’s meta invisibility is a gimmick, and nothing more. He could go invisible from turn 1 and it really wouldn’t change anything. And I don’t know where “high damage” is coming from. Even god-boosted in PvP he hits *okay*. Onslaught on the other hand is getting no respect on this thread, and he’s exponentially better than YJ even though he’s essentially a two-power toon. I seem to be playing a different game than most. 
    I love Onslaught, but I also really like board shake play personally.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Beefhammer69 said:
    In today’s meta invisibility is a gimmick, and nothing more. He could go invisible from turn 1 and it really wouldn’t change anything. And I don’t know where “high damage” is coming from. Even god-boosted in PvP he hits *okay*. Onslaught on the other hand is getting no respect on this thread, and he’s exponentially better than YJ even though he’s essentially a two-power toon. I seem to be playing a different game than most. 
    You are right, of course, but I didn't say he was meta because of it. But his invisibility makes him annoying defensively and unbeatable in certain nodes in PvP, so that makes him very useful. 
  • Kross
    Kross Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    If they make him comic book accurate then he is going to suck just like comic book Cyclops sucks. He will have a passive where he abandons your team leaving them with a baby.
    I really want to be mad at this because I love Cyclops, but I must admit this comment was funny.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kross said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    If they make him comic book accurate then he is going to suck just like comic book Cyclops sucks. He will have a passive where he abandons your team leaving them with a baby.
    I really want to be mad at this because I love Cyclops, but I must admit this comment was funny.
    It was the license plate name on my Corvette for 20 years , still hanging in the garage . I don’t think it left any babies though , although it attracted many opportunities. 
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    100% ready for the 5* that reads "(Passive) All other passive abilities cannot be used"

Goodbye, BRB and Okoye and iHulk and so, so many other problems
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:
    100% ready for the 5* that reads "(Passive) All other passive abilities cannot be used"

I could imagine a 5* Scarlet Witch having an ability of that sorts, maybe a countdown tile that prevents opponents passives from firing for a certain amount of turns. Or maybe some future character gets an offensive ability kind of like Strange, that fires off dealing damage every time the opponent had one of their passives trigger. I'd certainly like to see something fun and different of the sorts. 
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tonypq said:
    SnowcaTT said:

I could imagine a 5* Scarlet Witch having an ability of that sorts, maybe a countdown tile that prevents opponents passives from firing for a certain amount of turns. Or maybe some future character gets an offensive ability kind of like Strange, that fires off dealing damage every time the opponent had one of their passives trigger. I'd certainly like to see something fun and different of the sorts. 
    No more passives!!!
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really liked dictator/jerk Summers way more than suck up/boyscout Summers and thought he was awesome during the P5 storyline (unpopular opinion I know... but Cyclops was right, haters).

So if Dark Phoenix Cyke is in fact the next 5, I hope he is crazy good. I mean, I’d of said the same about an AOA Mags, but we saw how that turned out. 

I’m a hoarder/champ em all guy and it really does take the wind out my sails to bust a hoard for three lackluster toons after waiting for SO long. I think I last pulled in November to finish Daken/Heim/Pool (fun, but none move the needle) and will soon pull for another three that are in that same “meh” tier.  
    So here’s hoping Cyke either counters hulk or at least does some Apoc-level damage per AP!
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really liked dictator/jerk Summers way more than suck up/boyscout Summers and thought he was awesome during the P5 storyline (unpopular opinion I know... but Cyclops was right, haters).

So if Dark Phoenix Cyke is in fact the next 5, I hope he is crazy good. I mean, I’d of said the same about an AOA Mags, but we saw how that turned out. 

I’m a hoarder/champ em all guy and it really does take the wind out my sails to bust a hoard for three lackluster toons after waiting for SO long. I think I last pulled in November to finish Daken/Heim/Pool (fun, but none move the needle) and will soon pull for another three that are in that same “meh” tier.  
    So here’s hoping Cyke either counters hulk or at least does some Apoc-level damage per AP!
    The only one I hate more than jerk Summers is boy scout Summers. Not really a cyclops fan, but I'm sure Phoenix Cyclops will end up being better than "perfect host" Phoenix Jean Grey, because MPQ. If he turns out to be really good, I'll do a few pulls, then wait until Adam Warlock and Magneto are out before pouring resources into trying to get him. Unless, of course, he syncs well with Magneto (doubt it).
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, have to agree on that. Cyclops is probably my least favorite X-man. Seeing him be better than Jean as Phoenix would be annoying but I do hope he is, the bench is plenty full and warm in the 5* tier already. 

Old Man Phoenix would have been preferable.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I really can only think that there’s gotta be a character coming up soon that provides more utility to 5* Magneto.  Doesn’t need to make him meta, but at least some sense.  Because his fifth cover of blue ‘awards’ him one more round airbourne right now.
    which is crazy.  Why would anyone want that?
    I think there must be someone coming that grants some passive benefit to having airbourne allies.
    like I said, it’s not going to suddenly make him the hot thing, but at least then, he won’t be totally broken.

I totally agree about Bishop being the most annoying character ever.  Thank god they nerfed him.  He was a huge drag.  
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I really can only think that there’s gotta be a character coming up soon that provides more utility to 5* Magneto.  Doesn’t need to make him meta, but at least some sense.  Because his fifth cover of blue ‘awards’ him one more round airbourne right now.
    which is crazy.  Why would anyone want that?
    I think there must be someone coming that grants some passive benefit to having airbourne allies.
    like I said, it’s not going to suddenly make him the hot thing, but at least then, he won’t be totally broken.
    If they wanted to they could have made him work with Heimdall or Throg but once again they put on the child safety locks. 

Someone was in a hurry to clock off when approving this design.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe we are seeing a return to “here is the support perk that completed the design” design on Magneto like we used to see in the final days of support development?
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2021
    Options
    It's just sad with the current character release schedule, seeing so many 5s being churned out that are lackluster from the get go. They don't even need a brief period of time before some are obsolete or yesterdays news, they're that way right upon release. Which is a real tough pill to swallow when a long awaited addition to 5s like Magento comes out as meh as he is, among a few others. On top of D3's reluctance to rebalance older characters with any regularity. It wouldn't be so bad if they realized how many characters they've screwed up and buffed or reworked them a bit. At the very least health/match damage on some older 5s should be adjusted for the power creep. 

Each character doesn't have to be meta, but they should be able to stand on their own legs. Not forced into some oddball team to exploit the one power or so that has a hint of promise. If they're going to keep releasing meh 5s, I'd like to see D3 create a new 5* store just for classic 5s. For those who want to collect them all regardless how lousy  some are to make it easier. Maybe once a while 1 or 2 of the characters might have better odds like in other stores. With how fast 5s are churned out and disappointing many of them are, it's tough wanting to blow any LL tokens on them. It would be nice to have a classic 5 only store, especially since the number of 5*s is much more robust in numbers than years past. 
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    Options
    tonypq said:
    It's just sad with the current character release schedule, seeing so many 5s being churned out that are lackluster from the get go. They don't even need a brief period of time before some are obsolete or yesterdays news, they're that way right upon release. Which is a real tough pill to swallow when a long awaited addition to 5s like Magento comes out as meh as he is, among a few others. On top of D3's reluctance to rebalance older characters with any regularity. It wouldn't be so bad if they realized how many characters they've screwed up and buffed or reworked them a bit. At the very least health/match damage on some older 5s should be adjusted for the power creep. 

Each character doesn't have to be meta, but they should be able to stand on their own legs. Not forced into some oddball team to exploit the one power or so that has a hint of promise. If they're going to keep releasing meh 5s, I'd like to see D3 create a new 5* store just for classic 5s. For those who want to collect them all regardless how lousy  some are to make it easier. Maybe once a while 1 or 2 of the characters might have better odds like in other stores. With how fast 5s are churned out and disappointing many of them are, it's tough wanting to blow any LL tokens on them. It would be nice to have a classic 5 only store, especially since the number of 5*s is much more robust in numbers than years past. 
    2020 was a pretty productive year and looks like they´re finally addressing what we´ve been requesting for years. Here´s hoping that they´re working down the list and 5* buffs are in the works. 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tonypq said:

I agree with your argument. In addition to buffing old characters, I would also suggest using the release of new characters that team very well with older characters to create competitive and fun teams to play with. For example, @Bzhai mentioned that Magneto could have been designed to work well with Heimdall. That would have brought more utility to Magneto. Another example includes a couple of suggestions I posted in Speculations and Concepts for characters found here:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/2257/what-marvel-character-are-you-hoping-for-post-movesets/p45
    With every character release, there's an opportunity with every release to support older, less playable characters. I hope we see more of that in the future.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    jredd said:
    sinnerjfl said:
    Not all characters need to be the meta, I'm fairly OK with weaker 5*'s as long as they bring something interesting or *gasp* fun.

I sure wish they'd hurry on someone who counters that green menace because he has been actively ruining PVP for way too long now (Magneto seems like a super weak stab at this...)
    ihulk has only been ruining pvp for half a year? Bishop ruined it for well over a year before they did something about it. buckle up holmz, he's not going anywhere. 

Bishop was a puppy dog compared to iHulk. At least you could hit a Bishop team without using three healthpacks.
    that was never my experience. stun lock plus a wipe was the outcome damn near every time. until quickly learning the skip button was the best way to deal with him.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Options
    T_REZ5000 said:
    sinnerjfl said:
    Not all characters need to be the meta, I'm fairly OK with weaker 5*'s as long as they bring something interesting or *gasp* fun.

I sure wish they'd hurry on someone who counters that green menace because he has been actively ruining PVP for way too long now (Magneto seems like a super weak stab at this...)
    Agreed on not all characters having to be meta and that interesting/fun is good.  The problem is that other than DP these 5*s aren't fun at all to me.  Just look at Magneto.  Not only do his powers not have synergy with each other, they actually work against each other.  Invisibility on YJ is lame on offence because invisible characters can't tank.  Adam Warlock is too high maintenance, constantly having to heal him in battle isn't my idea of fun.

As an aside, I read a comment in this thread about iHulk being worse to play against than Bishop?  Couldn't disagree more.  I have no problems with Okoye/hulk using BRB/Kitty whereas Bishop and Worthy were easily the worst play experience I've ever had in this game (much worse than old 3*rags was).  In fact, their nerfs are what brought me back to the game.

Regarding Bishop/iHulk: iHulk is "easier" to defeat for sure, but we have only 1 counter team that doesnt require 3 health packs and thats is if things go well. Im tired of seeing iHulk/Okoye almost from the start of the PVP to in 90% of teams past even 500 points. It's not fun, it's boring and we're stuck using Kitty/BRB who are very slow. 

We have 50 5*'s now and we're only using 4 because one of them has a dumb passive that works with a super easy condition to meet, can be boosted, ressurects unconditionally until he's alone on his team and he has an ability that does 37k damage for 7 AP. There is no way anyone cannot say he is not ridiculously overpowered. He has zero weaknesses also, except hurting your team and it should be a lot more than now considering how strong he is.
    (yes yes, he's only strong with Okoye but they will not nerf her because she drives revenue I bet)

Regarding Magneto: Heh, he is somewhat unique, percentage based protect tile boosting which is nice. He also has a decent blue nuke, those are rare. He's not unsuable.

Regarding Adam: I think this character indeed requires constant management of his health but consider his base HP, cheap healing on yellow/purple. It's gonna be hard to get him to die honestly. I think people need to focus a lot less on his black ability and more on how tanky he is, and his very high match damage above 50%. More time is needed to fully understand how he plays out.