Your thoughts and enthusiasm if the next 5* is weak sauce ?

Comments

• Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    If his red wasn’t so expensive, I’d say I could live with the current Magneto build.  
    Sure his blue seems counterproductive but it theoretically delivers a lot.  
    But his red should be 7AP.  Messing around with my 3/3/3, I find the most value comes from pairing that red with Kitty.  It’s just an excruciating amount of time to get off.  
    And usually they end matching my strikes and repeaters immediately.  But I had some fun on drawn out essentials using him BRB and Kitty.  Just slow as all hell.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    We have 50 5*'s now and we're only using 4 because one of them has a dumb passive that works with a super easy condition to meet, can be boosted, ressurects unconditionally until he's alone on his team and he has an ability that does 37k damage for 7 AP. There is no way anyone cannot say he is not ridiculously overpowered. He has zero weaknesses also, except hurting your team and it should be a lot more than now considering how strong he is.
    (yes yes, he's only strong with Okoye but they will not nerf her because she drives revenue I bet)
    Why not just make it so his aoe won´t work with Wakanda Forever just like Thor, Silk, Kitty, Apoc, De5dpool and so many more? Why does every problem have to be automatically solved with a nerf button?
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Just make Okoye's (and Apoc's?) boost only apply to active powers and never to passives.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2021
    Bzhai said:
    We have 50 5*'s now and we're only using 4 because one of them has a dumb passive that works with a super easy condition to meet, can be boosted, ressurects unconditionally until he's alone on his team and he has an ability that does 37k damage for 7 AP. There is no way anyone cannot say he is not ridiculously overpowered. He has zero weaknesses also, except hurting your team and it should be a lot more than now considering how strong he is.
    (yes yes, he's only strong with Okoye but they will not nerf her because she drives revenue I bet)
    Why not just make it so his aoe won´t work with Wakanda Forever just like Thor, Silk, Kitty, Apoc, De5dpool and so many more? Why does every problem have to be automatically solved with a nerf button?
    What you just described is also a nerf, genius
  • killahKlown
    Just make Okoye's (and Apoc's?) boost only apply to active powers and never to passives.
    APOC is fine.  No need to mess with him
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    APOC is fine.  No need to mess with him
    I am guessing anything that happens to Okoye is also trickling down to Apocalypse because their boosts seem to follow the same rules and behave the same way on edge cases, implying the underlying code is shared.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    Bzhai said:
    What you just described is also a nerf, genius
    It´s not a nerf if it was designed not to work with WF upon release just like all the other examples I gave.
  • Cannibalqueen
    I’m losing you with Thor and 5* Deadpool, all of their powers are boosted by Okoye and Apocalypse, no?

Silk kind of feels like she has an exception, but I can’t tell if it’s actually based on some internal mechanic. Juggernaut is the only one who seems to have been intentionally barred from Apoc/Okoye style boosting,  that’s really the example you should be using.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Messing around with Magneto more, he’s actually fun if you bring boosts in with you.
    RoadWarrior mentioned some characters being kind of intentionally underpowered in anticipation of supports. That was happening for a while for sure.

I think they are really pushing boosts right now.  Because if you go in with full red/yellow and full all boost, you only have one match in order to fire off red, which is very useful for Kitty or to use his yellow which I haven’t tried out much against iHulk but in theory it should be pretty useful to clog up basic green tiles.

maybe this boost thing is obvious to most of you, but I never used boosts until they brought in Milestones. And also the 5* Deadpool vault.  I was always at 30 because I worried too much about running out of them.  Also didn’t realize how cheap they are.  So I think this has been part of the design with Magneto and now also this slow **** looking Cyclops.

I am really hoping the next 5* is Wanda to wrap up her show.  Either her or one of the potential big villains of the show who deserves a 5* if rumors bear out that he’s in it. 
  • Beefhammer69
    Beefhammer69 Posts: 58 Match Maker
    I’m losing you with Thor and 5* Deadpool, all of their powers are boosted by Okoye and Apocalypse, no?

Silk kind of feels like she has an exception, but I can’t tell if it’s actually based on some internal mechanic. Juggernaut is the only one who seems to have been intentionally barred from Apoc/Okoye style boosting,  that’s really the example you should be using.
    Half-Thor’s passive tile-bust isn’t boosted by Okoye because of the way the mechanics are coded, which is why Juggernaut’s passive and Silk’s...black(?) also don’t work with Okoye’s passive. However, Thor’s active damage-dealing powers are boosted by Wakanda Forever, yes. That’s why that combo is still a PVE mainstay at this stage in the game. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It does seem that Silk's passive works with WF so long as one of the tiles that gets busted is fortified, but it doesn't do it if they are unfortified. It's unclear to me if that is intended behavior or a bug though.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    It does seem that Silk's passive works with WF so long as one of the tiles that gets busted is fortified, but it doesn't do it if they are unfortified. It's unclear to me if that is intended behavior or a bug though.
    In my brief testing, when only one of the tiles was fortified, it did not receive the WF buff.
    My sample size was one, so it's possible that the WF buff applies sometimes when only one of the tiles is fortified.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    In my brief testing, when only one of the tiles was fortified, it did not receive the WF buff.
    My sample size was one, so it's possible that the WF buff applies sometimes when only one of the tiles is fortified.
    Hm...the plot thickens. I know I was definitely seeing higher than advertised damage in one of those events where I brought Okoye, so I assumed it was working, but maybe it was something else afoot. There are so many WF! edge cases though - for instance if Shuri has fortifications on the board, and Okoye turns one of the colored tiles into a fortified team up tile, and then you match it, breaking that fortification doesn't trigger Vibranium Virtuoso and therefore no WF! bonus damage.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Instead of nerfing characters, it would be better to just have PvAI matches with limited roster selection. That way more of the characters no one wants to use would see play time and events could break up all the meta teams that boring players use ad nauseam . It’s been done limited before ( only characters with a specific color) but events like only Avengers , Villains, Women, without Passive abilities , without stun, or XMen , for example, I think would be incredibly exciting and take the repetition out of the game .
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Instead of nerfing characters, it would be better to just have PvAI matches with limited roster selection. That way more of the characters no one wants to use would see play time and events could break up all the meta teams that boring players use ad nauseam . It’s been done limited before ( only characters with a specific color) but events like only Avengers , Villains, Women, without Passive abilities , without stun, or XMen , for example, I think would be incredibly exciting and take the repetition out of the game .
    This is only good for people who have enough characters to participate. Presumably there would be loaners, but that is a very exclusionary event type. That being said, I would definitely welcome the full spectrum of Evergreen-esque events using every color.

Something else to potentially consider is a PVP where the win condition is more like Puzzle Ops - trying to construct a defensive team that would gather purple faster than your opponent would be pretty hilarious.
  • Michael1957
    This is only good for people who have enough characters to participate. Presumably there would be loaners, but that is a very exclusionary event type. That being said, I would definitely welcome the full spectrum of Evergreen-esque events using every color.

Something else to potentially consider is a PVP where the win condition is more like Puzzle Ops - trying to construct a defensive team that would gather purple faster than your opponent would be pretty hilarious.
    From the rosters I face , which average over 200 characters, I don’t think not having enough of them to choose 3 would be a problem. I do like the “first one to 30 AP of color X” event idea though too. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I could hang with you in such an event, but most of my alliance could not. It seems to me like it would be a pretty huge gate for the vast majority of players.
  • killahKlown
    They've done limited roster selection heavily in the past.  With Heroic events.  They were universally despised.  The rampant complaints led to the developers removing those awful events.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are only two kinds of 5*.  

1) Meta
    2) Weak sauce

Either way, as a completionist, I'm going to get them.

As a side effect, even meta characters are going to end up low level since feeders are barely a thing anymore.
  • Michael1957
    They've done limited roster selection heavily in the past.  With Heroic events.  They were universally despised.  The rampant complaints led to the developers removing those awful events.
    I don’t remember them, but hitting my 4 year anniversary today , possibly these were in the 3.5 years prior to my playing . And possibly I only played PvE at the start of gaming . Sorry I missed them