Your thoughts and enthusiasm if the next 5* is weak sauce ?

Options
tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
edited February 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
Seems like the 5* releases have been pretty underwhelming for quite some time. No real must haves, no pair of really enticing 5s in the same LL store for a while. Many think they missed the mark on 5Mags who some waited a long time for, AW wasn't much better. The first 5 in 2021 wasn't a homerun either, more like a single stretched out to a double. I was curious what some of you think about the recent say 6 or 7 5*s and if it's impacted your desire to keep grinding this game. 

Anyone getting 5* weak sauce burnout ?

I always get excited when a new 5 is announced, then lately usually end up face palming myself after going over the abilities. On one hand for those who want to build a big stash up, there might not have been a better time than over the last few months to do so. For those who pull as you go, I can't help but feel it's also got to be a pretty meh excitement level. Every 5 can't be a meta changer of course, but seems like we've  had an unusually long stretch of time where we've gotten a real top end 5* to get crazy over. Some releases seem more like experiments the way their tool set works, rather than being well thought out and polished characters. I feel like that's a bit more acceptable for 4*s but with 5s I expect more. Especially with the power creep in 5 land and knowing the meh LL 5 you rack up covers on today can very well be entirely obsolete in what seems like the blink of an eye. 

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Depends on the character. Give me my version of Warrior's Magneto and I'll care. Otherwise, I'll chug along.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,291 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A lot of the newer 5* characters (Heimdall, Mags, Adam, YJ) all seem like 60% of a 5* waiting for another character to synergize with to make them whole.  DP5 can at least stand on his own a bit and can be a decent third wheel.

I'm holding out hope for the next few 5s and still undecided whether I want to champ Adam/YJ or pass on them both.  The Mags5 champ bus passed by a long time ago and I can't wait to see him leave the store next month.
  • grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Last 5* that caused any excitement for me was deadpool and I’m super happy I got him champed very fast. Beyond that, meh. 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 572 Critical Contributor
    Options
    grumbLEGO said:
    Last 5* that caused any excitement for me was deadpool and I’m super happy I got him champed very fast. Beyond that, meh. 

I agree that Deadpool is cool - but it's really interesting to me how he doesn't benefit from, being boosted (or at least, his black power).

I think Yellow jacket and adam are both relatively solid and have uses. I'm hoping to champ them and the third when mags leaves.

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not all characters need to be the meta, I'm fairly OK with weaker 5*'s as long as they bring something interesting or *gasp* fun.

I sure wish they'd hurry on someone who counters that green menace because he has been actively ruining PVP for way too long now (Magneto seems like a super weak stab at this...)
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    Not all characters need to be the meta, I'm fairly OK with weaker 5*'s as long as they bring something interesting or *gasp* fun.

I sure wish they'd hurry on someone who counters that green menace because he has been actively ruining PVP for way too long now (Magneto seems like a super weak stab at this...)
    ihulk has only been ruining pvp for half a year? Bishop ruined it for well over a year before they did something about it. buckle up holmz, he's not going anywhere. 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The 4's have absolutely been stomping the 5's in fun factor and usefulness. I think the last "bad" 4 was Red G and even then... she's not magneto bad.

Outside of Apoc and what looks like yellowjack most 5's are either boring, or interesting but not really good.

Heimdall is super intriguing  but meh...
    5Deadpool is solid at what he does but also mehhh
    magneto is just a mess and bad....
    warlock is boring but good.
    Apoc is good, engaging and fun.
    samurai daken is cool, and interesting but weak 
    Onslaught...same as above.
    Killermonger is intriguing but kinda meh.

Where as every 4 for awhile besides Red G has been pretty good to great... 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jredd said:
    sinnerjfl said:

ihulk has only been ruining pvp for half a year? Bishop ruined it for well over a year before they did something about it. buckle up holmz, he's not going anywhere. 
    Had to check but he entered Latests in mid-april, its been almost a year now.

And you'd hope they learned a lesson from that... PVP is not fun at all these days, its the same team in 90% of matches, thats good for noone -_-
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:

You sure hit my ihulk plenty!!

Btw, shhh Cyclops incoming.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,941 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Options
    The 4's have absolutely been stomping the 5's in fun factor and usefulness. I think the last "bad" 4 was Red G and even then... she's not magneto bad.

Outside of Apoc and what looks like yellowjack most 5's are either boring, or interesting but not really good.

Heimdall is super intriguing  but meh...
    5Deadpool is solid at what he does but also mehhh
    magneto is just a mess and bad....
    warlock is boring but good.
    Apoc is good, engaging and fun.
    samurai daken is cool, and interesting but weak 
    Onslaught...same as above.
    Killermonger is intriguing but kinda meh.

Where as every 4 for awhile besides Red G has been pretty good to great... 
    Most of the latest 4*s are not pretty good to great. They are merely interesting/intriguing but meh (ie never getting played unless essential). That's because of the LONG shadow cast over 4* land by Polaris/Juggs/Grocket.
    I suspect your evaluation of latest 5* is because of the LONG shadow cast over 5* land by Okoye/Kitty.
    KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I think you'll see Throg get play as a counter to Polaris, he does that really well actually. If we could get a 5* that meaningfully adds blue to the board, I'd potentially run him with iHulk since he can avoid the rebirth self harm.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have to agree I am losing the interest a bit with so many decent but in the end meh 5 releases.

Adam Warlock is one of my fav chars in the Marvel Universe, so I want him covered, but most everything added after Apoc (with the exception of maybe YJ and maybe Adam) follow this "decently good but completely forgettable release", with the really infuriating release of 5 Magneto in the middle (I still dont know what Devs were going for with this one).

I can see me abandoning the game after getting Adam, if 5 releases dont pick up my interest pretty soon. 

I think Devs at this point they really want us to play with mixed teams (5s and 4s), and this is why some of the late 4 releases are so strong. Sadly, this is something I dont personally like. I want to play in scl10 with 5s not 4s (If they want me to play with 4s then create some other game modes like Deadpool daily / Gauntlet / whatever where I can use my 4s).
  • Beefhammer69
    Beefhammer69 Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options
    Help me out here, why does everyone keep bringing up Yellowjacket in the same conversation as characters like Apoc, Hulk, and Adam Warlock (aka: Good)? Yellowjacket has been largely trash thus far and I don’t see his usefulness skyrocketing all of a sudden, even with an interesting gimmick. Doesn’t move the needle at all for me. 
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Apocalypse and iHulk are fairly recent releases. The game has, like, 50 5* characters and only 6 are Meta: Apoc, BRB iHulk, Kitty, Okoye and Halfthor. Three of these were released late 2019 early 2020 and 3 of them are much older. 5*Hawkeye was only meta for a while because of an unintended interaction with the fairly new 4*Cap. AFAIK, the devs don't willingly make new characters Meta. I hope they plan for them a  working kit and the community then uses that kit in unforeseen ways to break the game. So it is reasonable to expect that most new releases will NOT break the game. 
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Help me out here, why does everyone keep bringing up Yellowjacket in the same conversation as characters like Apoc, Hulk, and Adam Warlock (aka: Good)? Yellowjacket has been largely trash thus far and I don’t see his usefulness skyrocketing all of a sudden, even with an interesting gimmick. Doesn’t move the needle at all for me. 
    Infinite invisibility + high damage.
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    5-stars over the past year have been way above average collectively.   The Latest store is only just recently getting a little ....hoardy.  It seems like the best characters each year get released in mid-summer through late fall.  Just hold onto your tokens, something is coming in a few months.    

And yeah, for everyone whining about iHulk, mine gets hit in PVP regularly.  Moved my float point up about 100 points (which is about as little an impact champing a good 5-star could have and still matter).  Totally beatable, just hits you where it hurts in terms of time and healthpacks.  -Characters shouldn't be designed around further enabling shield hops. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    Apocalypse and iHulk are fairly recent releases. The game has, like, 50 5* characters and only 6 are Meta: Apoc, BRB iHulk, Kitty, Okoye and Halfthor. Three of these were released late 2019 early 2020 and 3 of them are much older. 5*Hawkeye was only meta for a while because of an unintended interaction with the fairly new 4*Cap. AFAIK, the devs don't willingly make new characters Meta. I hope they plan for them a  working kit and the community then uses that kit in unforeseen ways to break the game. So it is reasonable to expect that most new releases will NOT break the game. 
    Professor X. Lesser extent, Carnage & Onslaught.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Regardless of Latest, there are always Fan Favourite stores to spend CPs on. Feels like we’re prob due one soon so worth hanging on to see who’s in it.