Your thoughts and enthusiasm if the next 5* is weak sauce ?

Options

Comments

• Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    The game has, like, 50 5* characters and only 6 are Meta: Apoc, BRB iHulk, Kitty, Okoye and Halfthor. 
    Professor X. Lesser extent, Carnage & Onslaught.
    I dunno. They surely have their uses, but Meta? I guess its a Meta ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) of definition. I understand that the Meta are those that form a team with so much synergy they can punch way beyond their level. So maybe Carnage paired with BRB or Kitty, but both BRB and Kitty can do their thing with other partners just as effectively or more, so the meta part is with them, not with Carnage himself. Professor X and Onslaught, maybe, if the board helps. 

All three are very good, I'll admit. But I don't know if they are in the meta.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jredd said:
    sinnerjfl said:
    Not all characters need to be the meta, I'm fairly OK with weaker 5*'s as long as they bring something interesting or *gasp* fun.

I sure wish they'd hurry on someone who counters that green menace because he has been actively ruining PVP for way too long now (Magneto seems like a super weak stab at this...)
    ihulk has only been ruining pvp for half a year? Bishop ruined it for well over a year before they did something about it. buckle up holmz, he's not going anywhere. 

Bishop was a puppy dog compared to iHulk. At least you could hit a Bishop team without using three healthpacks.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Onslaught is niche, over all pretty bad, if his purple was better he'd be pretty decent to good though.
    Carnage is niche, over alll pretty decent, and with the right partner he can be a total pain
    Charles is great, everything about the character is useful and he's engaging to play
    Samurai Daken is meh, if his specials hit harder or his heal was better he'd be good.
    Adam warlock is good, but pretty boring.
    ihulk is good, engaging and different.
    Magneto is just bad.
    Yellow jacket is good, but the AOE meta isn't doing him any favors right now.
    Deadpool is solid, not terrible, not great but gets the job done and has some neat "party tricks"
    blonde widow is solid,  engaging, strong AP control but has no way to avoid damage  nor any kind of nuke.
    Apoc is great,  great health, great damage, engaging, and buffs.
    Beta Ray is great same as apoc, but not really as engaging...

5 stars have been really lack luster over all with only really  charles, brb, and apoc  shinning bright on there own and with the help of others, while being pretty fun to play.

i
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Surprised at the lackluster reception Adam is getting.

I think he has a chance of being 1 of 5 or 6 essentials for higher level PvE play.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think he has a chance of being 1 of 5 or 6 essentials for higher level PvE play.
    I can tell you that in his loaner stuff, he was wildly underwhelming to me, but I don't think he comes alive until you can spec him correctly, and I really think he'll come alive at very high levels, so I'm withholding judgement until deadpool and magneto drop out of latest and I can properly go after him. Mine is 1/1/1 right now.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    Jacklag said:
    The game has, like, 50 5* characters and only 6 are Meta: Apoc, BRB iHulk, Kitty, Okoye and Halfthor. 
    I dunno. They surely have their uses, but Meta? I guess its a Meta ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) of definition. I understand that the Meta are those that form a team with so much synergy they can punch way beyond their level. So maybe Carnage paired with BRB or Kitty, but both BRB and Kitty can do their thing with other partners just as effectively or more, so the meta part is with them, not with Carnage himself. Professor X and Onslaught, maybe, if the board helps. 

Carnage is pretty damn meta on challenge nodes.
  • BigSoftieFF
    edited February 2021
    Options

I can tell you that in his loaner stuff, he was wildly underwhelming to me, but I don't think he comes alive until you can spec him correctly, and I really think he'll come alive at very high levels, so I'm withholding judgement until deadpool and magneto drop out of latest and I can properly go after him. Mine is 1/1/1 right now.
    Understood. 

Mine is 3/2/5 level 405 and I’m actually in the opposite camp as far as bigger = better in his case.

I think it will be a fine line on if I champ him or not based on tanking needs. Either  way he has fully become part of my CL10 team.

shardwick said:
    Jacklag said:
    Jacklag said:

Carnage is pretty damn meta on challenge nodes.
    So is Ares at level 650 or whatever craziness it is 😂 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options

I think Adam is good, and probably scales really well like okoye, and apoc as he gets more levels.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @BigSoftieFF I would expect having as much health as possible would be ideal for him; he seems like he does his best work in early match with high health, has that not been your experience?
  • BigSoftieFF
    Options
    @BigSoftieFF I would expect having as much health as possible would be ideal for him; he seems like he does his best work in early match with high health, has that not been your experience?
    It helps but it feels like the majority of the damage comes from either Okoye or Apocalypse boosting him. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    jredd said:
    sinnerjfl said:
    Not all characters need to be the meta, I'm fairly OK with weaker 5*'s as long as they bring something interesting or *gasp* fun.

I sure wish they'd hurry on someone who counters that green menace because he has been actively ruining PVP for way too long now (Magneto seems like a super weak stab at this...)
    ihulk has only been ruining pvp for half a year? Bishop ruined it for well over a year before they did something about it. buckle up holmz, he's not going anywhere. 

Bishop was a puppy dog compared to iHulk. At least you could hit a Bishop team without using three healthpacks.
    Honestly, I feel the complete opposite with this.  There are ways to work around ihulk.  The best option for me is Brb.  I used to use brb/kitty and with kitty boosting protects and bill spamming them it was effective and very little health packs used.  The only problem is that it was super slow, so I switched to Brb/apocalypse and although it's not quite as safe it still is successful for me the vast majority of the time and way faster than brbitty and not overly health pack intensive as long as I don't get a bad luck board.

I feel like with ihulk there are work arounds to put special tiles on green or destroy/change green tiles.  He can be puzzled.  Bishop on the other hand, there was no way to get around make a match with a 5 star character and get wrecked for it, other than don't use a 5 star to fight a 4 star which didn't make sense to me.

I rarely had a problem beating Bishop. He didnt hit hard himself. Usually he was feeding someone else's hit, and it wasn't an AoE. Apocalypse ended him completely, even before the nerf.
    With iHulk, I'm almost always burning through healthpacks. There are protect tile teams that can counter him, but they're slow and you're usually still vulnerable to the first turn TU cascade that breaks the match. You also can't shield hop with protect tile team, at least not in my experience. Maybe yours are higher lvl than mine and are more effective.
    Both metas are/were beatable, but iHulk almost always makes me pay faster with the healthpacks. Bishop, as a 4*, could be downed quickly. His "dominance", imo, was always WAY overblown. 
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Borstock said:
    jredd said:
    sinnerjfl said:

Honestly, I feel the complete opposite with this.  There are ways to work around ihulk.  The best option for me is Brb.  I used to use brb/kitty and with kitty boosting protects and bill spamming them it was effective and very little health packs used.  The only problem is that it was super slow, so I switched to Brb/apocalypse and although it's not quite as safe it still is successful for me the vast majority of the time and way faster than brbitty and not overly health pack intensive as long as I don't get a bad luck board.

I feel like with ihulk there are work arounds to put special tiles on green or destroy/change green tiles.  He can be puzzled.  Bishop on the other hand, there was no way to get around make a match with a 5 star character and get wrecked for it, other than don't use a 5 star to fight a 4 star which didn't make sense to me.

I rarely had a problem beating Bishop. He didnt hit hard himself. Usually he was feeding someone else's hit, and it wasn't an AoE. Apocalypse ended him completely, even before the nerf.
    With iHulk, I'm almost always burning through healthpacks. There are protect tile teams that can counter him, but they're slow and you're usually still vulnerable to the first turn TU cascade that breaks the match. You also can't shield hop with protect tile team, at least not in my experience. Maybe yours are higher lvl than mine and are more effective.
    Both metas are/were beatable, but iHulk almost always makes me pay faster with the healthpacks. Bishop, as a 4*, could be downed quickly. His "dominance", imo, was always WAY overblown. 
    Shield hopping was too slow with brbitty, but like I said apocalypse bill is much faster.  I can shield hop within a minute or two no problem. I'm often going up against okoyes lvl 550 or close to it. 

My apacolypse is pretty big now after spending a hoard on the fan favorite store and using milestone shards on him,  he's lvl 490 now,  but I've been doing it since he was lvl 456. It's just gotten easier now that he has more levels.  Bill has been at 465 the whole time. 
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Onslaught and Killmonger introduced creative ideas which I hope they will continue to explore. We need more 5* that can punish cascades. Magneto felt like a first draft or mix match of several people's ideas that got pushed out because they needed to fill their release schedule. 

It's ridiculous that even after increasing the rate of new releases, we barely have any new 5* worth chasing. If Cyclops is another disappointment I'm not gonna bother anymore and just save my cp for the next Okoye and Apoc vault.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Bzhai said:

It's ridiculous that even after increasing the rate of new releases, we barely have any new 5* worth chasing. If Cyclops is another disappointment I'm not gonna bother anymore and just save my cp for the next Okoye and Apoc vault.
    That's probably not despite, but because. With an accelerated release scheduled there is less time to plan, execute and test the new character. Besides, you used to have two to three months to hoard your tokens for a new 5* so you could cover most of them reliably. Now that a new one comes out every month, you have to be more critical of which is worth gathering or not.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phoenix Force Cyclops is going to be anti-Okoye or iHulk. 

My theory 
    3* and 4* Cyclops are heroes and their yellow powers have something to do with teamup tiles, which increase red aps or red tiles.

5* Phoenix Force Cyclops is a villian. So, he's going to do the inverse of his 3* and 4* counterpart. He's either going to destroy enemy TU ap or convert their teamup ap to other colours, or turn green tiles into red tiles. 

I think he will be the one to kick off the unleashing of LT and/or CP hoard this year.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phoenix Force Cyclops is going to be anti-Okoye or iHulk. 

My theory 
    3* and 4* Cyclops are heroes and their yellow powers have something to do with teamup tiles, which increase red aps or red tiles.

5* Phoenix Force Cyclops is a villian. So, he's going to do the inverse of his 3* and 4* counterpart. He's either going to destroy enemy TU ap or convert their teamup ap to other colours, or turn green tiles into red tiles. 

I think he will be the one to kick off the unleashing of LT and/or CP hoard this year.

Wait... I thought it was just gonna have a passive like Karnak, but with a different take....

"If Professor X is an opponent, you are stunned for 3 rounds or until the enemy Professor X is downed.  Whenever either outcome resolves, Scott unleashes a point blank full power optic blast into the Charles' face, immediately downing the enemy Professor X (or the next available enemy if he's already downed)."

...what, didnt we want things to be comic book accurate?  :) If this happens, i cant wait to see the animation for it.  :D
  • Beefhammer69
    Beefhammer69 Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    Help me out here, why does everyone keep bringing up Yellowjacket in the same conversation as characters like Apoc, Hulk, and Adam Warlock (aka: Good)? Yellowjacket has been largely trash thus far and I don’t see his usefulness skyrocketing all of a sudden, even with an interesting gimmick. Doesn’t move the needle at all for me. 
    Infinite invisibility + high damage.
    In today’s meta invisibility is a gimmick, and nothing more. He could go invisible from turn 1 and it really wouldn’t change anything. And I don’t know where “high damage” is coming from. Even god-boosted in PvP he hits *okay*. Onslaught on the other hand is getting no respect on this thread, and he’s exponentially better than YJ even though he’s essentially a two-power toon. I seem to be playing a different game than most. 
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    Bzhai said:

That's probably not despite, but because. With an accelerated release scheduled there is less time to plan, execute and test the new character. Besides, you used to have two to three months to hoard your tokens for a new 5* so you could cover most of them reliably. Now that a new one comes out every month, you have to be more critical of which is worth gathering or not.
    Actually the recent string of 4* releases suggest otherwise. You don't have to go any further than Cindy Moon and see how well she synerges with Peter Parker in Shield Training. Why couldn't they give PP, the only web user in 5* land another spider partner?

No, I don't think it's lack of development time that is the issue. They've shown that they have the experience, insight and feedback to design 4* that complement the existing roster. But for some reason when it comes to 5* they just feel like they have to put on some handicap.