Next to be rebalanced *cough* Nerfed???

Options

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    IHulk isn’t a threat , it’s only the combo everyone uses him with . BRB is more dangerous on his own . I can see Polaris becoming the new hated  threat soon as more champ her . I’m already taking out a full Gritty with just her 9/13 and Okoye . 
    Umm, he can't be killed first, does 30k damage for 7 red ap, does ~5k aoe damage every other turn passively, and his best partner just happens to boost that site damage to crazy levels.  This is the type of kit that make characters a real person to fight in PVP, where unavoidable damage to to weaker support characters makes sustained climbing very hard (and makes halfthor much harder to use). He is definitely one of the "stunlock is far and away the best option' characters, and we just lost our best PvP stunlockers.
    I suggested this as a fix for IHulk which is far from a nerf 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/82853/immortal-hulk-suggestion#latest
    Shifting of a balance of power in metas is what makes the game evolve . I know the players who pounded me for 2 years with half Thorkoye are now whining they’ve lost their advantage to my new Hulkoye
    Source? I’m guessing if they’ve been rocking Thorkoye the past 2 years, they probably have a higher level Okoye than you and thus a better Hulkoye. 

Sharpen your playing skills and evolve or get left behind .
    I don’t consider playing the same meta team everyone else is playing a testament to one’s “playing skills”.  Roster management, maybe. But “collect teamup AP, and let all the passives do the work” is far from genius level tactics at work. I don’t think you were the first to mention/play Hulkoye. I didn’t see you be the first to mention it in his character thread so if it’s elsewhere, I apologize. 
  • nippy
    nippy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2020
    Options
    loll... Okoye is the one who's broken.  And every thorkoye players has hulkoye, unless they quit.  Some here are sooo clueless
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nippy said:
    loll... Okoye is the one who's broken.  And every thorkoye players has hulkoye, unless they quit.  Some here are sooo clueless
    ignoring your last statement... I would HOPE they have iHulk.  

I got a nice handful of 5* champs... but iHulk pulls just weren't in the cards, for RNGs sake.  I think I pulled TWO green covers for him, and 1 black, 2 red.  Yeah... i have iHulk.  but not at a great level.  he dies quickly, which hurts my team again, and again, and again.  

Does it work?  Sure!  On a nice board with TUs available from the get-go, sure.  Oh, and there needs to be enough green out there too.  If I'm not getting enough TU to make it strong, or if there's not enough greens to make the passive hit... you get the picture.

-- unless, you're just assuming that all ThorKoye players are actively spending money on the game.  Yeah.  That's not everyone.  And spending money is never a measurement of game skill or strategy.  I hope no one believes that either -- because if that's the truth, then I'm a great carpenter for throwing money at my local handyman.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I don't think Okoye is the problem so much as Okoye being several years old and therefore dead to most players who weren't around to get her then, or saving up to get her out of places like the Fan Favorites store now. I bonus heroed my way to a finished one across an actual human year, I'm sure it would be much less time now in the post-shardpocalypse to do so. It just can't be done quickly or on a whim. You have to commit to the bit.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,941 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They've made Okoye especially available compared to other classic 5*. She's been in at least 3 stores this year that I recall (anniversary, fan favorites back in Feb and one other I can't recall now). Plus enough shards for a single cover was available in 2 different vaults. So anyone who didn't have her at the start of the year (I had 2 covers in Jan 20) could have easily have covered her (I now have her fully covered with 3 saved covers for when I champ my 5*s) and I haven't even drawn from the anniversary store at all.
    All that without considering her feeder covers from Shuri.
    KGB
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    KGB

I wonder if all the avails were to compensate for Shuri not having a feeder. I know that I wish that she did.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    KGB said:
    They've made Okoye especially available compared to other classic 5*. She's been in at least 3 stores this year that I recall (anniversary, fan favorites back in Feb and one other I can't recall now). Plus enough shards for a single cover was available in 2 different vaults. So anyone who didn't have her at the start of the year (I had 2 covers in Jan 20) could have easily have covered her (I now have her fully covered with 3 saved covers for when I champ my 5*s) and I haven't even drawn from the anniversary store at all.
    KGB
    I wasn’t anywhere near 5* play when she was released in 2018. But I immediately realized her future potential and spent an entire year solely getting her up to 9/13. With the events you mentioned and shard system I was able to champ her by late January 2020. iHulk was released soon after and in 4 months I’d gone from a SCL 8 player with a mediocre at best roster to one of the best meta teams in the game . The game evolves with each new character released, and metas are dethroned every year . We added Apocalypse and BRB this year I’m sure MPQ will continue the trend of evolving metas because that’s where the money is. 
  • Uber_mpq
    Uber_mpq Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I really Don’t see tHe point in nerfing characters. If there’s no viable counter then either make a new chat that is affective or buff an existing one.

as a player I find it annoying to plaough all resources into meta characters o key to have them nerfed just as you get them champed. So while some players have had the chance to enjoy them at their best and have an advantage, that opportunity is dented to players trying to catch up, so it creates quite an unfair advantage.

actually think buffing existing powers of weaker chars is the way to create counters.  Having new characters, getting them levelled takes time
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I still maintain there should be no duds at the 5* tier. The gap between the top and bottom of the tier right now is a wide wide gulf, and the gap between the A rank and B rank is very disproportionate to the gap between any two of the B rank characters against each other, with about the same distance between the worst B rank character and the first C rank characters as the gap at the top.  
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Nerfing a character should be a last resolt solution.

For Example: I find Juggs particulary annoying. Solution: Quake. No need to nerf. Karnak is annoying too. Solutions: Juggs. R&G is IMO more OP than Bishop ever was. Solution: I have more solution to him/his teams than I have fingers. The list go on. And Polaris is on that list too. Yes, she is absurdly strong. Until she meets some of mine teams.

That is why I am strongly against insta/fast nerfs as maybe we just need new champion with new ability or find the one that will work. I was for a long time a "nerf Kitty" but now I am not anymore because I, in my 4*, I have found the solutions for her. Yes, plural - depends with whom she is paired. I found rock to smash that scissors.I mean Rock-Paper-Scissor scenario. So far we have rock-paper in case of Hulkoye, now it is time for scissors. But not scissor of nerf.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I think a character that passively charges green tiles, or otherwise puts something on them, would be a fine Hulk counter that wouldn't result in a nerf. Imagine if Wa5p just passively dropped a green swarm tile every turn...Immediately the tune would change on her I bet.
  • Michael1957
    Options
    I think a character that passively charges green tiles, or otherwise puts something on them, would be a fine Hulk counter that wouldn't result in a nerf. Imagine if Wa5p just passively dropped a green swarm tile every turn...Immediately the tune would change on her I bet.
    Doesn’t Howard destroy all green tiles ? There’s your Hulk Killer. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Howard the Duck will be pounded into a bag of feathers around turn 3 or 4. I have been trying to defeat champed iHulk and Okoye when I have the opportunity but I will be dead by turn 3/4.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited October 2020
    Options
    You'd be better off using Taskmaster who needs to gather black for Quack Fu than howard, who has to chase green to fire it, but as long as Okoye is in the mix you can't do it fast enough. I haven't tried Taskmaster/Domino or maybe even Taskmaster/Nightcrawler because I've got 5* MMR, and there's no way it would last more than 2x turns from those health pools. So i'll use BRB/Apocalypse or sometimes Profe$$or X/Onslaught to do it when I need some points. That team has the advantage of clearing out any available team ups all at once on a Match-N, so if you're lucky enough to have one  early, you can often keep Okoye from going to work even if you can't control the green on the board to prevent what Hulk is doing.

they aren't unbeatable for me, I just can't beat them without taking "need at least one healthpack" levels of damage, so I'll generally skip them until i'm within that many points of whatever i'm chasing. 

Generally speaking I'll target Okoye first, and then the large Onslaught health pool will be able to hold up against iHulk at "normal" damage levels long enough to clear out the required 3rd and then himself. I'll often use Profe$$or's purple to heal the team as well, which can help.

I'll be very curious to see if there is going to be a Polaris-based team that can flood a board quickly enough with green specials that Hulk just can't trigger green door; I don't know if BRB/Polaris would have the staying power to combat it, but it's possible. Maybe Carbage/Polaris could do it, since they'd both be making firendly specials anytime you matched a friendly special? Once i champ polaris it may be interesting to experiment.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You'd be better off using Taskmaster who needs to gather black for Quack Fu than howard, who has to chase green to fire it, but as long as Okoye is in the mix you can't do it fast enough. I haven't tried Taskmaster/Domino or maybe even Taskmaster/Nightcrawler because I've got 5* MMR, and there's no way it would last more than 2x turns from those health pools. So i'll use BRB/Apocalypse or sometimes Profe$$or X/Onslaught to do it when I need some points. That team has the advantage of clearing out any available team ups all at once on a Match-N, so if you're lucky enough to have one  early, you can often keep Okoye from going to work even if you can't control the green on the board to prevent what Hulk is doing.

they aren't unbeatable for me, I just can't beat them without taking "need at least one healthpack" levels of damage, so I'll generally skip them until i'm within that many points of whatever i'm chasing. 

Generally speaking I'll target Okoye first, and then the large Onslaught health pool will be able to hold up against iHulk at "normal" damage levels long enough to clear out the required 3rd and then himself. I'll often use Profe$$or's purple to heal the team as well, which can help.

I'll be very curious to see if there is going to be a Polaris-based team that can flood a board quickly enough with green specials that Hulk just can't trigger green door; I don't know if BRB/Polaris would have the staying power to combat it, but it's possible. Maybe Carbage/Polaris could do it, since they'd both be making firendly specials anytime you matched a friendly special? Once i champ polaris it may be interesting to experiment.
    Thanks for the idea... I'll be trying out Polarage.... Carnaris....?  

Seems like fun!  Although, I can see the board getting so flooded after a few turns, to the point where Carnage isn't doing his 'extra turn' anymore.  Eh, I'll have to see for myself.  ;)
  • Kozah
    Kozah Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Polaris
     80% of the teams i get matched with have and depend on polaris.   I can use hulk and grocket to wipe her out in a couple turns but if i dont get her by my 3rd turn, it suddenly turns into a repetitive animation spam reel because of polaris... Her animations drag a fight out to 5 or 8 minutes, pair that with Medusa, 90% match time is watching these animations over and over and over. Polaris definitely. And please do something so instead of the animations happening over and over in one turn, it just plays one combo animation, or something lol, I have to close the game or put my phone down for these troll fights. Its worth it to take the loss right away then to win once every 10 minutes... Yuck.

Edit: I take that back
     Don't nerf anyone, there are so many cool characters wed love to be using but instead of these chars, they just keep independently nerfing one character at a time, why? Is that easier to do? There are so many badass heroes that the mpq has worked hard on but will never get used because they just keep nerfing new ones more so than buffing older ones. <3
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kozah said:
    Polaris
     80% of the teams i get matched with have and depend on polaris.   I can use hulk and grocket to wipe her out in a couple turns but if i dont get her by my 3rd turn, it suddenly turns into a repetitive animation spam reel because of polaris... Her animations drag a fight out to 5 or 8 minutes, pair that with Medusa, 90% match time is watching these animations over and over and over. Polaris definitely. And please do something so instead of the animations happening over and over in one turn, it just plays one combo animation, or something lol, I have to close the game or put my phone down for these troll fights. Its worth it to take the loss right away then to win once every 10 minutes... Yuck.

Turn off the animations.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I am a bit late for the discussion, but I will just say, If they ever nerf Okoye, without changing PvE scl10, then I am out. That's it. I just quit. When Apoc was buffed he was a good substitute but now that he will be buffed once every year, there is no substitute for Okoye in scl10 (well, other than the winfinite team, but it is slower, even though more guaranteed to win for the harder nodes).

Polaris though, I have to agree that she is kinda broken, and she enables a lot of teams that can trivialize almost any content. 
  • Michael1957
    Options
    As of now 95% of PvAI battles I’m offered contain 2 to 3 of the following;
    1 . Polaris 
    2. Kitty
    3 . BRB
    4. Rocket4
    5. Apocalypse 
    it’s amazing we have over 200 characters and yet only 2.5% are used.
    Singularly these characters are harmless and no nerf is needed if they appear without one of the others . I’d rather see a limit on frequency of specific team use. 
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Less than 200, as for 4* and 5* players I would not count 1*-3* as real possibilities (even though, its ~5 or so). The real number is 104 4* (4 limited including) + 49* 5*.
    But the real number is even lower because why we should use Talos when we have Ghost or Mr. Fantastic who do similar job but better? Why 5* Wasp  <3  while we have 5* Storm or OML (not a similarity but those two ARE way better than Wasp who I love <3 ). Its simple. People/Players will use what works and do not care about variety.

Sadly, as there are many champions who works wonders and I rarely see them. Like why not use Quake against Grockenaut? It do wonders for me. Why no awesome tank X-23 to keep others with Green/Red and do not die that fast*? I dunno. Why no Nico in place of Kitty (in 4* land)? etc. People just use/chase besties.

*I learned to kill her 1st before she get crazy with healing. If ya do not, even though you win, the fight is dragged so I skip her if I do not have time for longer battle.