Marvel Puzzle Quest R204 Release Notes (6/8/20)

Options

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I just had to look into it, didn't realize Whedon was involved in the '92 Buffy feature film. Paul Reubens was a lot of fun in that as a decidedly non-Pee Wee Herman vampire.

I was late to the party with Buffy starting on Season 4 (it used to get shown on BBC2 in the UK in the old "Star Trek Re-run" slot) and I have never seen the Buffy film. Definitely one for a "to do list".
    Only for completionist reasons......it's not nearly as good as the show.  I watched part of it recently and I don't really think it holds up so well.  It's a bit heavy on the camp side of things.  Although maybe that's more your taste?

There's probably a video of Reubens' stuff from the movie which would take less time to watch.
    Not particularly, although 60s Batman camp levels probably be OK. I am re-watching Buffy right now with my wife so I will probably wait until I am done to go looking for the film

If you haven't, watch Angel also.  The first season was terrible, but it gets a lot better after that.  You can even skip season 1 altogether.  One of the actors committed suicide irl, and it was pseudo re-booted to start season 2. 
    The character was killed off during season 1 (Doyle) (Spoilers for a 21 year old TV show), a couple years before the actor died of a drug overdose.  He was struggling with addiction at the time.

Most TV shows back then got better in later seasons (assuming they got better)......so it's not surprising this one did too.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I just had to look into it, didn't realize Whedon was involved in the '92 Buffy feature film. Paul Reubens was a lot of fun in that as a decidedly non-Pee Wee Herman vampire.

I was late to the party with Buffy starting on Season 4 (it used to get shown on BBC2 in the UK in the old "Star Trek Re-run" slot) and I have never seen the Buffy film. Definitely one for a "to do list".
    Only for completionist reasons......it's not nearly as good as the show.  I watched part of it recently and I don't really think it holds up so well.  It's a bit heavy on the camp side of things.  Although maybe that's more your taste?

There's probably a video of Reubens' stuff from the movie which would take less time to watch.
    Not particularly, although 60s Batman camp levels probably be OK. I am re-watching Buffy right now with my wife so I will probably wait until I am done to go looking for the film

If you haven't, watch Angel also.  The first season was terrible, but it gets a lot better after that.  You can even skip season 1 altogether.  One of the actors committed suicide irl, and it was pseudo re-booted to start season 2. 
    The character was killed off during season 1 (Doyle) (Spoilers for a 21 year old TV show), a couple years before the actor died of a drug overdose.  He was struggling with addiction at the time.

Most TV shows back then got better in later seasons (assuming they got better)......so it's not surprising this one did too.
    Thanks @bluewolf

My memory is shot hahaha.  Still remember the guy as one of the characters on Roseanne. 
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

As long as you go in realizing that the show and the movie are different in all-but name, you can easily enjoy both.  I know several fans of the show who HATE the movie, but it's all about preconception, IMHO.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don’t know what you define as a “Tier 1” superhero in terms of popularity, but Kitty isn’t it. 

Spider-Man, Wolverine, the Avengers “big 3” (yes, because of the MCU), Hulk, Supes and Batman (if you want to go DC), etc.  basically any character that if you pull a random non-comic loving person off the street and ask them if they know the character, they’d say yes. I don’t think Kitty falls into this camp. That said, she is way more known/popular/important than Legion (who I personally love thanks to the FX series). If she was tier 1, we’d likely have multiple versions of her, she’d have merch, and she’d be prominent in other media aside from comics. 

So here’s a question. Who’s the most popular character to only have one version in MPQ?

Nick Fury, Ant-Man (though Lang isn’t as big as Pym), Ghost Rider, Namor, Vision and mayybbbbe Sabretooth are all contenders. 

I’ll throw my vote to Scarlet Witch or Thing. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does Rogue count?
  • Daredevil217
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I don’t see why she wouldn’t. I wouldn’t vote for her as the most popular but she’d be in that Sabretooth/Kitty tier 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    While there is no Dan GR in the game, we do have Jonny & Robbie. I will say Namor seemed long overdue considering how long he was in the comics. As far as the most lacking in representation, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Betsy Braddock and Beast all get my vote (at least w/ X-Men). Now, what’s really going to upset me is when we don’t get classic artwork from the comics when they start releasing New Mutants and the exclusion of Warlock.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    While there is no Dan GR in the game, we do have Jonny & Robbie. I will say Namor seemed long overdue considering how long he was in the comics. As far as the most lacking in representation, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Betsy Braddock and Beast all get my vote (at least w/ X-Men). Now, what’s really going to upset me is when we don’t get classic artwork from the comics when they start releasing New Mutants and the exclusion of Warlock.
    Forgot we had two Ghost Riders. Also add Kamala to my list. Though new she is insanely popular.  Might even get my vote if I had to choose one. 
  • krakenoon
    Options
    I’d second a second Kamala, but she’s still another Marvel. If you include Rogue, that’s like 5 in game.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spider-man is the only top character throughout Marvel's history in my opinion and until the MCU the only one to rank along side the DC trinity. Everybody else has fluctuated although possibly Wolverine comes close over the last 25 years. In the early 80s, Thor and Daredevil were tier 1 guys simply due to the popularity of their creators/runs at that time. The same can be said of the FF (Lee/Kirby), X-Men and Punisher. Hulk has enduring public recognition but before the MCU he was little more than a green monster unless you remembered his TV show. Spider-man endures beyond all.
  • krakenoon
    Options
    Except for that one time Sam wanted him to dance... we should all forget that ever happened. Also, Hulk was a green or grey monster (or mobster). I agree that Spidey is Marvel’s one true constant, but he is pretty well represented in game, we even found a use for his 1* recently.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think young magneto could be a good 5*. But another time we have there the licence messing. Xmen belongs to 20th fox. For that reason we dont have jackman, patrick stewart,or jennifer lawrence, as clear as we have loki5* or widow 4* johansson or 4* Spiderman and hulk.
    Mistique could be another 5* tough.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Spider-man is the only top character throughout Marvel's history in my opinion and until the MCU the only one to rank along side the DC trinity. Everybody else has fluctuated although possibly Wolverine comes close over the last 25 years. In the early 80s, Thor and Daredevil were tier 1 guys simply due to the popularity of their creators/runs at that time. The same can be said of the FF (Lee/Kirby), X-Men and Punisher. Hulk has enduring public recognition but before the MCU he was little more than a green monster unless you remembered his TV show. Spider-man endures beyond all.
    Wolvie was insanely popular in my childhood. I remember when the trading cards were out and his holograph edition was the most impossible to get, seconded by Venom. 

I’m an X-fan to the degree that MCU doesn’t even put a dent in who I would like to see in game. I’ll begrudgingly agree that Spidey is without a doubt the top dog though.

• Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am really enjoying the kitty chat and it's nice to see that she has lots of fans. Still, she's not a top tier char in marvel nor in popularity nor in power.

Legion is an omega level mutant. But I agree that he's not a known/popular char.

But... Moving away from that. How about the ultra mighty known and powerful okoye? :smile:
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Okoye by herself is meh. Just a tie-in release on panther film. However they put the best supporting damaging power at the moment. And supporting abilities are the best as happens with kitty. 
    Now there is apoc with his yellow multiplier. Its a well deserved power and of course Im seeing champ apocs more often.
    Just wait some months more.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Costume is back again: 6 covers of Kamala Khan and her costume for $15.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Costume is back again: 6 covers of Kamala Khan and her costume for $15.
    The original costume deal was also $15 but gave you 2100 hp and 3 covers instead (with the costume).

Seems like a worse deal, this time. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, three 3* covers cost 2100 HP? :open_mouth:

Coincidentally, three hundred 3* shards cost 700 HP. 

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am really enjoying the kitty chat and it's nice to see that she has lots of fans. Still, she's not a top tier char in marvel nor in popularity nor in power.

Legion is an omega level mutant. But I agree that he's not a known/popular char.

But... Moving away from that. How about the ultra mighty known and powerful okoye? :smile:
    Going from Kitty’s bio online she is or has been incredibly powerful. I don’t know first hand though, perhaps the info is wrong.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, three 3* covers cost 2100 HP? :open_mouth:

Coincidentally, three hundred 3* shards cost 700 HP. 

Under the pre-CP exchange rates, it was 500 HP for a 3* cover and 2500 HP for a 4* cover IIRC.  Just FYI...