Marvel Puzzle Quest R204 Release Notes (6/8/20)

Options

Comments

• Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Anon said:
    Maybe later on down the line they'll release a 5* Legion (Age of Apocalypse) or (Classic).

I don't know, I'm very disappointed though. This is leaving a really bad taste. I know that * are based on rarity and not comic power levels, but come on, this is LEGION we're talking about.
    Just a reality check to all you guys that are CORRECT and think that legion should be a 5*: Devs don't care.

The best chars in the game are okoye and kitty... Okoye is nothing and kitty is a second tier hero. Nothing to do here... 

Ps: still waiting for the new 3* Franklin Richards :smile:
    Kitty is a second tier hero? The same Kitty Pryde who when introduced boosted the X-men's sales through the roof because the teenage readership finally had somebody their age to relate to? The film's may have given her short thrift but Kitty is a far more first tier hero than Legion ever was - his major deal was killing his own Dad by accident! Legion is a bit like Blade and Star-Lord- a third tier character that got lucky via a movie/TV show.
    The same kitty that is and always was second tier in the xman team. The same kitty that has no movies or major series. The same kitty that probably is in 100th place is comic,/movies/shows appearances. That kitty.

Ps: no prob if you enjoy her ok? But still, second tier
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I thought, by now, everyone should be aware that the tier a character belongs to in a comic/movie/tv shows doesn't correlate to the tier in MPQ. Yet, people are still getting pissed off.  :o

Incredible!  
    Not pissed off. More like a contínuous felling of confusion. It's a bit like seeing an invisible hulk, a teleportation cyclops or a turtle in a tree... 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 
    Rocket & Groot especially were barely D list characters - I loved Rocket from the 80's and his limited series where he fights evil clowns but if you had asked me whether he would ever appear as a major part in a Marvel movie I would have laughed. 
    I guess that is just how things happen. On movies and on merchandise. Specially on movies directors. Ghost rider was a favourite of mine but nic cage ate him down.
    Fantastic four deserved a lot more and they fell on the wrong hands and in wrong company. Two times.
    They even try to make a villain a hero, in venom.
    Even my most favourite hero didnt had it easy across a lot of films and directors, Spiderman .
    Xmen had its good fair share of versions too.
    It seems if Disney its not there heroes will suffer.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,637 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Anon said:
    Maybe later on down the line they'll release a 5* Legion (Age of Apocalypse) or (Classic).

I don't know, I'm very disappointed though. This is leaving a really bad taste. I know that * are based on rarity and not comic power levels, but come on, this is LEGION we're talking about.
    Just a reality check to all you guys that are CORRECT and think that legion should be a 5*: Devs don't care.

The best chars in the game are okoye and kitty... Okoye is nothing and kitty is a second tier hero. Nothing to do here... 

Kitty is a second tier hero? The same Kitty Pryde who when introduced boosted the X-men's sales through the roof because the teenage readership finally had somebody their age to relate to? The film's may have given her short thrift but Kitty is a far more first tier hero than Legion ever was - his major deal was killing his own Dad by accident! Legion is a bit like Blade and Star-Lord- a third tier character that got lucky via a movie/TV show.
    The same kitty that is and always was second tier in the xman team. The same kitty that has no movies or major series. The same kitty that probably is in 100th place is comic,/movies/shows appearances. That kitty.

The same Legion who probably doesn't even make the top 200... :)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We are in the MPQ world afterall. It's Marvel mixed with a little flavour of PQ and Dev's directions. That's why things go a little crazy. I'm sure some of the characters got priority over other characters due to Marvel's goals of diversity and inclusion. That could explain why Okoye is powerful and is a 5*. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Anon said:

1.  I am not a non-fan of Kitty and she certainly could have had a hand in the sales boost, but they also did the Days of Future Past story shortly after her debut, which probably also boosted readership a lot as fans started following the book to see what would happen next.  She also debuted in the middle of the Phoenix saga.  I mean this was probably one of, if not the, creative peaks of the X-men throughout their entire publishing history, as far as accessible stories with high stakes.  Back when every big storyline didn't cross over into 30-40 different comic books.

2.  Kitty is much more visible to comic fans than Legion, IMO.  She has been a near-constant team member for 40 years now.  I agree that from a power perspective Legion is more of a 5, of course.  Kitty is sightly arguable about first or second tier as far as being a favorite character, but she is a central X-men character, without question.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    OJSP said:
    I actually knew Kitty (and Lockheed) from reading Excalibur.

Yeah, a comic book created to look after Kitty & Nightcrawler after Chris Claremont (rightly) decided they didn't fit in with his new grim n gritty X-Men. Having it set in Britain thus getting Captain Britain involved was just a typical Claremont quirk.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Anon said:

1.  I am not a non-fan of Kitty and she certainly could have had a hand in the sales boost, but they also did the Days of Future Past story shortly after her debut, which probably also boosted readership a lot as fans started following the book to see what would happen next.  She also debuted in the middle of the Phoenix saga.  I mean this was probably one of, if not the, creative peaks of the X-men throughout their entire publishing history, as far as accessible stories with high stakes.  Back when every big storyline didn't cross over into 30-40 different comic books.

2.  Kitty is much more visible to comic fans than Legion, IMO.  She has been a near-constant team member for 40 years now.  I agree that from a power perspective Legion is more of a 5, of course.  Kitty is sightly arguable about first or second tier as far as being a favorite character, but she is a central X-men character, without question.

There is an excerpt from a book by Sean Howe about the history of Marvel Comics and he relates that at the time of Kitty's debut Marvel were getting vast amounts of mail on the KISS Special project they had relaesed with the remainder nearly all dedicated to the X-Men and roughly half of that being about Kitty. "Half of these kids wanted to be Kitty and the other half wanted to date her". X-Men had been a soap opera under Claremont and Byrne and when Phoenix was killed off, Claremont was really not ready to shift gears so he needed another central relationship - thus the Kitty/Colossus relationship became front and center. Obviously it was a bit of a contentious one given that although both were teens there was an age gap and Jim Shooter famously dismantled it in the pages of Secret Wars but for a few years, Kitty was absolutely central to the X-Men, especially as none of the other characters had any real in-team relationships Claremont could channel his romantic storylines through.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    OJSP said:

Yeah, a comic book created to look after Kitty & Nightcrawler after Chris Claremont (rightly) decided they didn't fit in with his new grim n gritty X-Men. Having it set in Britain thus getting Captain Britain involved was just a typical Claremont quirk.
    I love that book so much, the initial run was pure joy with Alan Davis art and Claremont writing it.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    OJSP said:

I love that book so much, the initial run was pure joy with Alan Davis art and Claremont writing it.

It was definitely a place where Claremont could go a little bit quirky and Davis could draw almost anything.

Alan Davis is easily one of the finest X-Men artists ever - I am re-reading his Marvel imprint Clan Destine right now and the art is just sumptuous.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I collected X Men from its inception, along with 9 other titles , and I was disappointed when they stopped it mid 60s for unpopularity, but the rebirth was great for awhile . I dropped X Men basically because of the introduction of Kitty who I just couldn’t stand . She ruined that book for me much like she ruins this game .
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just had to look into it, didn't realize Whedon was involved in the '92 Buffy feature film. Paul Reubens was a lot of fun in that as a decidedly non-Pee Wee Herman vampire.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I just had to look into it, didn't realize Whedon was involved in the '92 Buffy feature film. Paul Reubens was a lot of fun in that as a decidedly non-Pee Wee Herman vampire.

I was late to the party with Buffy starting on Season 4 (it used to get shown on BBC2 in the UK in the old "Star Trek Re-run" slot) and I have never seen the Buffy film. Definitely one for a "to do list".
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I collected X Men from its inception, along with 9 other titles , and I was disappointed when they stopped it mid 60s for unpopularity, but the rebirth was great for awhile . I dropped X Men basically because of the introduction of Kitty who I just couldn’t stand . She ruined that book for me much like she ruins this game .

I don't think anybody is advocating that you or anybody else has to like Kitty, certainly not myself. However under scrutiny I can't find any evidence that suggests that Legion is a more important character to the X-Men legacy than Kitty Pryde. I'm not much of a Cyclops fan (whiny, cheats on his wife, hypocrite, etc.) but I am not going to argue that say Proteus is a bigger mainstay of the X-Men than him just because Proteus is vastly more powerful.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

I was late to the party with Buffy starting on Season 4 (it used to get shown on BBC2 in the UK in the old "Star Trek Re-run" slot) and I have never seen the Buffy film. Definitely one for a "to do list".
    Only for completionist reasons......it's not nearly as good as the show.  I watched part of it recently and I don't really think it holds up so well.  It's a bit heavy on the camp side of things.  Although maybe that's more your taste?

There's probably a video of Reubens' stuff from the movie which would take less time to watch.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Only for completionist reasons......it's not nearly as good as the show.  I watched part of it recently and I don't really think it holds up so well.  It's a bit heavy on the camp side of things.  Although maybe that's more your taste?

There's probably a video of Reubens' stuff from the movie which would take less time to watch.
    Not particularly, although 60s Batman camp levels probably be OK. I am re-watching Buffy right now with my wife so I will probably wait until I am done to go looking for the film
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

I have only seen the Buffy film - if you can handle the 1992-ness of it, it is excellent lol. Keep in mind that the entire premise of the thing was to be a bit of a genre parody. It starred all the teen heartthrobs of the day, Luke Perry (rip), Kristi Swanson. Reubens' performance would have been post-scandal as well, so it was very novel for him to appear in anything.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Not particularly, although 60s Batman camp levels probably be OK. I am re-watching Buffy right now with my wife so I will probably wait until I am done to go looking for the film

If you haven't, watch Angel also.  The first season was terrible, but it gets a lot better after that.  You can even skip season 1 altogether.  One of the actors committed suicide irl, and it was pseudo re-booted to start season 2. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In truth what I liked the most of buffy vampire slayer was the kind of garage and beach guitar intro. It looked way far cooler than the serie lol.
    The strong point was the rol of sarah michelle gerar. She was fresh and funny.
    It was entertaining.