Revised Event: Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Options

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It'll be interesting to see what the rewards are like compared to the old SHIELD Training for people who could only just hit the level 209 mark for required characters.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hearing a lot about how less rewards are fine since SCL10 and I agree that it’s easier than ever to cover new 4*s, but there’s always gonna be those of us for whom it seems nothing is ever enough.

I haven’t seen anything to indicate shards will be unavailable for the other 4*s in ST, but again less rewards for those of us in transition. Will the ability to participate in ST when we lack proper covers for access even it out? We will see.

The words hyper normalization come to mind as less and less resources are made available while the bulk of rewards are concentrated at the top. Newer players are forced to either whale or just grin and bear it as the idea of rostering all 3s, 4s, and eventually 5s moves further and further away. The result is less ability to accumulate resources in events and therefore, less reason to spend and work toward a goal never to be reached.

I welcome the return of ST and alliance events (hopefully), but really wish there was something implemented to allow younger rosters to compete against other less developed rosters as opposed to competing against vets and whales for the aforementioned truncated rewards. Please fix the MMR algorithm to allow us meaningful progress in PvP and allow a way for us to challenge our rosters in PvE without losing placement potential to more fully developed rosters. I know it sounds like a way to stagnate spending, but you will keep more players longer and I believe there would be more incentive for overall spending as opposed to throwing money at the sea only to evaporate once it’s clear you’ll never be able to keep up.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So, given that Hellcat and friends vault is specifically listing 2* Daken, 3* Storm, and 4* Carnage, should we speculate that they will be required characters for some of the nodes? Carnage seems likely, and I’m wondering about Storm, who is not the 3e next pve (it’s 3pun). Daken is the 2e though.

Each of these toons has attack or strike capability which would synergise with Hellcat.

If there’s a 5* node with a required toon, will it be a 5* required??

Every time I have enough iso on hand to champ a 4*, my finger gets twitchy, but i think I’ll be safer to hold off until we see who we need for this event..
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It sounds very plausible because as mentioned, there are required character nodes for each row. Also, there are rarity level of 2 to 5 above each column. I doubt 5* essential is needed because it says:

Players aren’t locked to S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels here, so even players that regularly play in lower SCLs may be able to squeak out wins a column or two to the right.

Only Row 1 and 4 loans out required characters. However, one catch, based on my interpretation, is that to access Row 4 Column 1 node, players need to complete Row 3 column 1 and so on. If not, they can't play this node. The same goes for other other columns.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm all for this.  I mean, I barely had a challenge getting the cover... HOWEVER... my alliance doesn't always play to full progression PVE like I do.  There are newer players that sometimes dont even make it past the 2nd row. 

SO -- to give them the option to play, not finish, but still walk away with a few shards, makes for a very happy set of alliance members.  

Very cool.

And I second the notion of a 5* version of this.  
  • JiraiyaSannin
    JiraiyaSannin Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    IceIX said:

Couple of points there before you point out that that's not a full cover:
    • Shards are colorless compared to the colored Cover that it was before.
    • Shards are being gained from Placement and Progression in the other New Release events, so it's easier to gain a cover overall
    • Shards are available through lower progression totals, rather than *only* if the player was able to clear the whole event
    • You'll be loaned the new character at all tiers, so it's not locked behind people that have spent or gotten lucky to pull them.
    We're expecting more people to be gaining Shards and redeeming them for covers overall as a result of this event across SCLs, whereas before it was pretty much the higher end vets that had the roster depth to be able to do it for the one cover available.
    Don’t want to speak for everyone, but I really think this, here? Where you acknowledge a reduction in rewards for some and explain the larger reasoning on your end behind them? That’s model communication right there. I don’t have to like the decision (who likes fewer rewards?) . I don’t even need to agree with the reasoning (though here I’m fine with it) - being straightforward about any change to the economy and the reasons behind it goes a LONG way toward my own personal goodwill.
    @IceIX

to piggyback off this, I know many would love it if you could explain the choice to move the final CP reward in PVP from 1000 to 1200. I feel this is another way that your younger /transitioning rosters are getting “left behind” as @krakenoon articulated so well in their post. I don’t know if you are done answering questions, but some information here would be greatly appreciated. I like that you are trying to “think of the little guy” with your decisions, but I have to tell you that that choice was not a popular one, especially for transitioners. I’m curious about your thought process and if you’d be open to reverting it back?

For me personally, when PVP saw a reduction in rewards overall, that one move made me feel it was a decent trade. Then it got taken away with no communication. Thanks for any information you can provide!
    I dont think they're answering this last question. Itll just get ignored. 
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2020
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Looks interesting and I look forward to playing!

One thing though that always concerned me with SHIELD Training is when we get villains released! I don't want SHIELD training the bad guys! Maybe those dudes go to the Taskmaster academy instead. 😁
    Nah it's fine, think Thunderbolts, redemption arcs, enemy of my enemy etc.
    What gets me is ST for extra-terrestial/cosmic powers.
    Dum Dum Dugan wanders into the classroom, screwing down the lid on his hip flask.  Running a bit low going to have to reroute the helicarrier over Scotland some time soon.  'Right then class, welcome to Shield your chance to make a difference in the world.  Mr. Galactactus no hats in the classroom please, were you born in a barn?  And you Mr Radd, summer break isn't for another four weeks please leave that surf board at home in future.  Mr Ray Bill, so glad you're keen for our engineering section but you won't need that hammer yet.  Ah Esquire Doop, welco... uhh... *cough*.  Mr. Accuser what did I say about hammers!?'

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So there are 200 Hellcat shards in progression for this event.  Hopefully there are more shards than this as node rewards to bring it up to a full cover.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nope. On the first page Ice replied it’s only the 200. This event is no longer meant to get you a full cover since there are so many other ways to gain covers and shards. It’s more of an actual training ground now. 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2020
    Options
    There's a couple nice surprise, and the last node of the row was a bigger surprise for me. I like that last node the most. I think all new players should be able to complete all the nodes for Day 1. 

Total rewards for Day 1:
    15,250 ISO-8
    2 Hellcat vault tokens

I think Day 2 onwards will be challenging for them because the other non-Hellcat essential characters won't be loaned out.

What's more, all nodes are replayable.

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And after day 1 I'm at 800 points. Last prize is at 1750. Would it be fair to assume you don't need all nodes to get the last prize?
  • Xception81
    Options
    As expected, the 2/3/4* required characters are Daken/Storm/Carnage, which are the featured characters in the Hellcat vault. But the 5* is Old Man Logan, so not sure if that has ties to any event or vault or whatever (not that I can see). 

Row 1 plays against levels 65/120/180/485 as you go across the row, and they’re all goons (so no tile movers... except for the 4* node which has one stupid green sentry fighter). 

You are required to play both Carnage and Hellcat in the 4* node, and play both OML and Hellcat in the 5* node. Although the 5* might sound scary to newer players, with loanable characters and bringing in someone like DrStrange, I agree that most everyone should be able to have a good chance to beat it. 
  • Xception81
    Options
    Dogface said:
    And after day 1 I'm at 800 points. Last prize is at 1750. Would it be fair to assume you don't need all nodes to get the last prize?
    400 for the first D0 row, and then 400 for each D1-D3 rows (which will be 1600)... so I’m assuming the final D4 node is only 150 points to get the full 1750. 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It was pretty nice to be able to play with a fully covered OML. Threw in Havok for a blue outlet and something to do with the green AP gained setting up Hellcat’s red. Overall, it wasn’t a snap, but less difficult than I expected.

Pretty sure I won’t be able to get all of the rewards, but should be getting a few shards for her. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The loaner Hellcat is boosted to crazy levels on the 5* node and when I added Kitty to the mix it was special boost anarchy.

My congratulations to the Devs - they have done a really nice job on this and it was fun to play.
  • ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I enjoyed Day 1. My concern is column 4 on days 2 and 3. Is OML going to continue to be loaned out? Based on the event description he will not be. However, why would you lock 4* rewards behind a 5* required? I don’t think the old ST had a required 5*? And furthermore the old ST would reward an LT at the end which this one will not? I guess we’ll find out tomorrow, but I’ll be pretty disappointed if the 5* doesn’t continue to be loaned out. 
  • Xception81
    Options
    I enjoyed Day 1. My concern is column 4 on days 2 and 3. Is OML going to continue to be loaned out? Based on the event description he will not be. However, why would you lock 4* rewards behind a 5* required? I don’t think the old ST had a required 5*? And furthermore the old ST would reward an LT at the end which this one will not? I guess we’ll find out tomorrow, but I’ll be pretty disappointed if the 5* doesn’t continue to be loaned out. 
    Since Hellcat was required in both the 4* and 5* nodes, I’m hoping that Carnage and OML *aren’t* required on the remaining days, and someone can use the loaner Hellcat instead. Because I agree, it won’t feel very fair to the younger rosters to have a required 5*. Guess we’ll find out tomorrow. 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The final node will reward an LT. In the old ST, you need the latest 4* champed or close to champed status to get the LT. All non-Hellcat characters will be loaned out on only Day 1 and Day 4. Hellcat will be loaned out for every node.

You need to complete the respective column node in Day 2 and Day 3 nodes to play Day 4. You might not be able to get all 200 4* shards, but the rewards on the first day are already pretty good. You might get another 25 to 50 Hellcat Shards and other nodes rewards, even without the essential 5* character. Day 1 is a huge improvement over old ST row 1. 

Younger rosters, I'm assuming 2* and 3* players, shouldn't  be expecting to complete all the nodes.