Next Character Release Announcement (5/7/20 Release)

Options

Comments

• BlixTheFrog
    BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well I’m just happy Boss Events are back. 😜
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Joe is right , this is a whales only game. If you missed the initial launch there’s really no point in thinking you’ll ever catch up or be competitive. I started , missing the first 3 years , so I couldn’t even sniff a decent 5* until over 2 years of playing . Even after 3 plus years I’ve never even placed higher than in the 30s. Plus 99% of the players are mindless clones who all follow the same play format using all the same team . For example, I finished 133 points out of first place in a node today , and finished 40th! So if you’re thinking of starting to play as a new player , play only for the enjoyment of the game and forget about being competitive.

Also, being placed at top 50 in CL 10 is a GOOD thing. The game has a large fan base. With 50k or 100k players you expect to be number one? Your expectations, are to high. You already are in the top 1%

Good job! 

I appreciate the optimism but coming in 40th of 500-1000 doing your best, is analogous to  running a marathon, coming in 2 seconds behind the winner and finishing 40th.  Or taking an exam with 1000 other students, getting 99% correct , but getting a B grade because it’s graded on a curve .  PvAI used to be brutal and worthless because you only were rewarded for rank regardless of number of wins. I’m glad they fixed that , I hope they do the same someday to PvE

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,327 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Being competitive in this game has always been about showing up more than anything else.

The truth is the VAST majority of players are very casual and probably only play DDQ and a little PVE, if that.

If you are a person who does 6-7 clears, and have entered a slice late (say, 800th or so), you almost certainly still finished T100.  Just doing the clears and playing somewhat optimal will earn you a T100 and probably T50.  This is even more true if you are in the lower SCLs (below 7) where most of the players are just casuals who pick at the game.

Also, also:  Spreading the (stable to shrinking) top end players among 4 SCLs instead of 3 (with 10) resulted in better results for players in 7-9 who try hard.

This isn't to denigrate the people who are trying hard but it's worth remembering that they remain a small minority of the overall players.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The idea that people can guarantee they will get a fully cover latest 5 by  essentially hording for a bit is something that always blew my mind.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,179 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The idea that people can guarantee they will get a fully cover latest 5 by  essentially hording for a bit is something that always blew my mind.
    "hoarding for a bit" is like....9 months to a year of your actual real life through at a not insignificant amount of daily play? Obviously people do it, but man this game demands a commitment, doesn't it?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "hoarding for a bit" is like....9 months to a year of your actual real life through at a not insignificant amount of daily play? Obviously people do it, but man this game demands a commitment, doesn't it?
    I pulled my hoard of 381 pulls when IHulk went into packs.  I am currently sitting on 150 pulls now.  I will continue to hoard till Apocalypse goes into packs and I think I should have 250-300 pulls but then.  

• argle_bargle
    argle_bargle Posts: 88 Match Maker
    Options
    I pulled my hoard of 381 pulls when IHulk went into packs.  I am currently sitting on 150 pulls now.  I will continue to hoard till Apocalypse goes into packs and I think I should have 250-300 pulls but then.  
    Out of curiosity, what SCL do you do in PvE and what sort of placements do you get in PvP/PvE?
  • wymtime
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what SCL do you do in PvE and what sort of placements do you get in PvP/PvE?
    I play CL10 PVE top 20-50 placement.  I play CL10 PVP top 25 top 50 placement and my alliance is top 10 PVE.
  • wymtime
    Options
    OJSP said:
    wymtime said:
    You obtained 150 worth of pulls in 16 days? That's impressive.
    A good portion was from rewards from my 381 pulls overall I would say I got close to 70 pulls in 16 days.
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I thought the boss event was with the release? The release is tomorrow right?   And we're getting Thick as Thieves
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    rocks52 said:
    I thought the boss event was with the release? The release is tomorrow right?   And we're getting Thick as Thieves
    Because it’s an accurate description of the people behind this game. Most fitting. 
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,021 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    rocks52 said:
    Because it’s an accurate description of the people behind this game. Most fitting. 
    Apocalypse vs. X-Men May 14, 2020, 12:00 – May 17, 2020, 23:59 ET Apocalypse (Classic) Shards in Progression rewards

We've got another week to wait. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    I play CL10 PVE top 20-50 placement.  I play CL10 PVP top 25 top 50 placement and my alliance is top 10 PVE.
    Thats great. Its no easy at all ranking 100 on scl10 pve. And really difficult to rank above 50. It requires a fast team. A lot of times I let myself rank 70 or so because for ranking above the grinding is extreme and the difference is not sustantial.
    Not talking above 20 lol. But now here the rewards really worth it.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    rocks52 said:
    Apocalypse vs. X-Men May 14, 2020, 12:00 – May 17, 2020, 23:59 ET Apocalypse (Classic) Shards in Progression rewards

We've got another week to wait. 
    And it's not enough... 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    wymtime said:

But you are a VERY committed player, I dont think you can expect the same results for most players (you most probably don't). So in this case "it can be done", doesn't mean that it is achievable for most players.

I am closer to the 9 months than to your results. I probably need around 5-6 months to get the 250 pulls, and I usually need to use what I get from the pulls to finish the 3 chars on Latest, but in general I am not very lucky with my pulls (being the only exception last time I pulled for X and BRB, as all my pulls were for those two and not Carnage).

In the past this meant that I had to give up a couple of 5s in every cycle. Sadly with the new release rate it might mean I have to give up on 5 or 6 5s in every cycle (!!!!).
  • Bad
    Options
    Polares said:
    wymtime said:

But you are a VERY committed player, I dont think you can expect the same results for most players (you most probably don't). So in this case "it can be done", doesn't mean that it is achievable for most players.

Those cps are there for getting them.
    And maybe he is just as committed as me but he is way stronger and employing the same time as me he can rank above 20( you can be sure I will do it if I could).
    Now there is another factor and lets being honest here: a lot of players just dont champ their 5* for not being matched with strong players.
    They are right on there and is a respectable way of playing but doing so they themselves are cutting their game improvement and losing access to optime scl10 play and losing big resources so.
    Then its easy to talk about whales and the game is just too hard and p2w. On these comments we are proved that is not true.
    My hint is to play hard, secure a big hoard and get some LL champed. Then you can see the game over another perspective.
    On my part maybe I will scratch my wallet for giving a try or two for that damn apocalypse lol. Why not.
  • Bad
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Bad said:
    Those cps are there for getting them.
    And maybe he is just as committed as me but he is way stronger and employing the same time as me he can rank above 20( you can be sure I will do it if I could).
    Now there is another factor and lets being honest here: a lot of players just dont champ their 5* for not being matched with strong players.
    They are right on there and is a respectable way of playing but doing so they themselves are cutting their game improvement and losing access to optime scl10 play and losing big resources so.
    Then its easy to talk about whales and the game is just too hard and p2w. On these comments we are proved that is not true.
    My hint is to play hard, secure a big hoard and get some LL champed. Then you can see the game over another perspective.
    On my part maybe I will scratch my wallet for giving a try or two for that damn apocalypse lol. Why not.

He doesn't softcap his 5*s (if I recall correctly, he has at least 5 champions), so with power creep and the game releasing more 5*s which would be required in essential nodes, his game performance is negatively impacted due to the inability to keep up. I know you have several newer 5*s who happen to be quite good, so you're luckily better equipped to play CL10 faster and not waste too much time in the game.

I was quoting his prhase but just that. I wasnt adressing all what I said specifically to him.
    Newer LLs of course aid to beat scl10 but other wellknows teams are better to rank higher.
    For me right now is just imposible to rank above 20. Maybe some day I will 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares said:
    wymtime said:

I am closer to the 9 months than to your results. I probably need around 5-6 months to get the 250 pulls, and I usually need to use what I get from the pulls to finish the 3 chars on Latest, but in general I am not very lucky with my pulls (being the only exception last time I pulled for X and BRB, as all my pulls were for those two and not Carnage).

In the past this meant that I had to give up a couple of 5s in every cycle. Sadly with the new release rate it might mean I have to give up on 5 or 6 5s in every cycle (!!!!).
    the point is, it is achievable though right. if you choose to make it achievable. not everyone wants to make mpq their part time job and that's fine. some do, and that's fine too. but if you're not going to put in the effort, you shouldn't be able to get to the same point with less work. just means you'll have to pick and choose when you use your resources.