Next Character Release Announcement (5/7/20 Release)

Options

Comments

• argle_bargle
    argle_bargle Posts: 88 Match Maker
    Options
    As someone who was blessed by the RNG as I was champing all my 3*s, I have a single champ 5*. It's an "old" one, but it's still a level 450+ character I use pretty much all the time. It has taken me to T10 in SCL8 PvE and given me plenty of mileage in PvP. Definitely not useless. If you are calling old 5*s useless, consider that you are effectively playing a different game than some of the other folks on here. If you are butting heads with the latest maxed out meta on a daily basis, that's a different experience than someone who hops on and does just enough clears to reach max progress before logging off.

Also, the complaints about SCL10 are absurd. It's meant to be hard. The scaling on character levels is just going to do that. imo, the rewards are commensurate with where your roster is if you can mop up there. If it takes you hours and you barely scrape by, consider dropping down to SCL9 or accept the reality of facing level 500+ enemies.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    As someone who was blessed by the RNG as I was champing all my 3*s, I have a single champ 5*. It's an "old" one, but it's still a level 450+ character I use pretty much all the time. It has taken me to T10 in SCL8 PvE and given me plenty of mileage in PvP. Definitely not useless. If you are calling old 5*s useless, consider that you are effectively playing a different game than some of the other folks on here. If you are butting heads with the latest maxed out meta on a daily basis, that's a different experience than someone who hops on and does just enough clears to reach max progress before logging off.

Also, the complaints about SCL10 are absurd. It's meant to be hard. The scaling on character levels is just going to do that. imo, the rewards are commensurate with where your roster is if you can mop up there. If it takes you hours and you barely scrape by, consider dropping down to SCL9 or accept the reality of facing level 500+ enemies.
    Have you actually played in SCL 10? I find it absurd to weigh in on something you haven’t experienced. The scaling, by the way, is at level 650...not 500.

SCL 9 rewards are garbage now for a developed roster, and the average time requirement has doubled (or more) for similar progress as before. Doesn’t seem absurd at all to be annoyed by that to me.
  • argle_bargle
    Options
    Yes, I have played in SCL10, thanks for asking. I managed to max progress and decided it was not for me, time investment-wise especially given my current roster. I said "level 500+", the plus implies that it goes up from there. Not all the enemies are level 650. The scaling I was referring to was how the damage and health numbers scale with level.

My point is that it doesn't take SCL10 and whale spending to make progress on 5*s.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Polares said:

And specially we need a much better way of covering old 5s

Why? 
    I mean, I understand your point. But old 5*s are useless in this game. You need them once a year. It's not worth for the player and especially for the devs to work on this unless they find a way to improve gamming with the old chars. 

The problems are way before this point :(
    First because some "old" chars like Kitty, Okoye, Thor, Iceman, Dr Strange, HE, Thanos are very meta right now (or very usable at least).

Second, because once these chars are once again easy to get, Devs would be able to buff them to more usable levels. Which would also make the releases way more manageable (the 4/new 5/ reworked 5) release rate I was talking about.

Third, these old chars are also required chars in a lot of PvEs, so having them champed helps in those.

Fourth, because of FUN. I mean, this is a game about collecting Marvel chars so you can use them in different teams. Collecting is part of the fun and being able to use them it is too. I feel SAD when I see so many 5s I will never be able to get.

And finally, because it would ease the pressure to champ all the 5s when they are in Latest, which would also help to enjoy more the game.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Polares said:
    Polares said:

And specially we need a much better way of covering old 5s

Why? 
    I mean, I understand your point. But old 5*s are useless in this game. You need them once a year. It's not worth for the player and especially for the devs to work on this unless they find a way to improve gamming with the old chars. 

The problems are way before this point :(
    First because some "old" chars like Kitty, Okoye, Thor, Iceman, Dr Strange, HE, Thanos are very meta right now (or very usable at least).

Second, because once these chars are once again easy to get, Devs would be able to buff them to more usable levels. Which would also make the releases way more manageable (the 4/new 5/ reworked 5) release rate I was talking about.

Third, these old chars are also required chars in a lot of PvEs, so having them champed helps in those.

Fourth, because of FUN. I mean, this is a game about collecting Marvel chars so you can use them in different teams. Collecting is part of the fun and being able to use them it is too. I feel SAD when I see so many 5s I will never be able to get.

And finally, because it would ease the pressure to champ all the 5s when they are in Latest, which would also help to enjoy more the game.
    Of course the mentioned meta chars are the exception. And those are not hard to complete/increase since they appear in almost every store. They are the cash cows of this game.

The rest of your ideas are good but are just wishful thinking. I wish it was as you said: bufs, fun, relevance. But the game reality is not that as for classical 5s

As to pve you can do any node of a mandatory 5* at one cover as long as you have 2 other meta chars. Again I hate this but... It's the state of the game :(

Ps: I'm a collector. I want my 5*s champed. All of them
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thanks IceIX for this info. Transparency in why you are doing this is really great, even if it makes some people angry. The quality of MPQ has been increasing steadily, with only a few temporary dips, for its entire six-plus-years. I'm a little skeptical of the recent throttling of CP and HP, but you do what you gotta do with character releases.

I'm still waiting for the Captain Marvel bomber jacket costume to come around again... Any chance of another Women of Marvel event?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rewards of pve scl10 are really something. Im playing it since its start. A lot of times I wasnt interested in 5* clasic chars because I dont have them.  But the amount of 4* improvement is brutal. When this CC ends I will have super skrull champed, and Im really glad having him. In fact Im thinking on setting him as favourite.
    Of course its not easy and scl10 eats a lot of time. I would like at least another 5E buffed for event.  
    In the end I suppose I got accustomed to fight huge enemy bars.
    And when I fight normal enemies on pvp it seems so easy lol

• Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If you look at total rewards and assuming full PvE progress, it only takes 2 or 3 Legends pulls per day to keep up with the 4 week 5* release rate.
    Yes, I have played in SCL10, thanks for asking. I managed to max progress and decided it was not for me, time investment-wise especially given my current roster. I said "level 500+", the plus implies that it goes up from there. Not all the enemies are level 650. The scaling I was referring to was how the damage and health numbers scale with level.

My point is that it doesn't take SCL10 and whale spending to make progress on 5*s.

I don't think someone can average 50-75 CP a day if they're playing in scl9 and its slashed rewards. 
  • argle_bargle
    Options
    Vins2 said:

I don't think someone can average 50-75 CP a day if they're playing in scl9 and its slashed rewards. 
    You don't need 60-75CP because they don't need to be all Latest Legends pulls, just Legends, so closer to 40-60 minus LTs earned from Clash or champ rewards. (Also, that 2-3 pulls number doesn't take into account actual 5* shard rewards.) The idea is gaining at least 13 covers (or shard equivalent) towards any 5*s, not getting 13 covers of every new one.

They didn't slash rewards so much as shift them. We're getting way more covers which lead to more champ rewards.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You stated in your first post that you have played this game for years and now you are a 100-day player. Make up your mind? 
  • JustJoe
    JustJoe Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My bad, forgot to mention that I once lost all my progress already when transitioning my account between devices. However, I decided to give it a try after changes made in the last months to see whether something has changed, but unfortunately, I can only see the root issues being "cloaked" with new approaches rather than resolved. Shards versus Bonus heroes, seems pretty much the same, possibly even worse toward Shards, they just allow you to direct your aim at a particular character, which is still lacking due to the frequent characters' releases. But ye, on the other hand, I understand the company needs to make their millions somehow :)

Anyway, I am not trying to encourage some hatred here or anything, it is just my opinion as anybody else's positive or negative feedback, but assuming the dissatisfaction of majority of devoted fanbase with recent decisions, it seems like a common feeling :)
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JustJoe said:
     How about beginners and medium-rated players? 
    Not even with money. That's what confuses me. I can't understand that. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It seems like you left the game somewhere in 2017/2018. You can try emailing customer service to see if they can help you retrieve your old progress.

If you are a completionist and your ultimate goal is to champ all characters in the game, it won't be easy to catch up playing casually and without spending a lot of money.  We are talking about new players playing from scratch catching up with six years plus of developments and new "contents". If you expect yourself to champ all current and future characters within 2-3 years playing casually, you are putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself.

However, if you are focusing on playing with your favourite characters or winning with your favourite abilities, it can be done. I played since MEH release and I have "catched up" with over 90% of 4-star (13-covers), with over 80% champed. I have a lot of them champed but there are probably 10 that I like to use. I have been hearing "new players will never catch up" fear-mongering tactic since late 2017 and it's totally false based on my playstyle and I didn't even spend a single dime on this game to achieve this. In the first year of playing, I've accumulated enough CP and LT to champ all 3 latest 5-stars. I could have jumped right into 5-star land at that time but I didn't want to skip 4-star land.

If you want to get good placement in PvEs, there are not more than 3 characters in each tier that you need to focus on. With shards, you can get to them quickly.

You just need to set realistic goals for yourself. If you play casually and are willing to spend not more than $10, don't expect to catch up with competitive players or whales. 

• Bad
    edited May 2020
    Options
    JustJoe said:
    My bad, forgot to mention that I once lost all my progress already when transitioning my account between devices. However, I decided to give it a try after changes made in the last months to see whether something has changed, but unfortunately, I can only see the root issues being "cloaked" with new approaches rather than resolved. Shards versus Bonus heroes, seems pretty much the same, possibly even worse toward Shards, they just allow you to direct your aim at a particular character, which is still lacking due to the frequent characters' releases. But ye, on the other hand, I understand the company needs to make their millions somehow :)

Anyway, I am not trying to encourage some hatred here or anything, it is just my opinion as anybody else's positive or negative feedback, but assuming the dissatisfaction of majority of devoted fanbase with recent decisions, it seems like a common feeling :)
    Wow, you seem pretty acknowledged on the dissatisfaction of majority of devoted fanbase on this comunnity despite being a casual player and one that lost his progress a lot of years ago. And the sistem of bonus heroes vs shards too, sure you catch up things quick.
    You said that you are worried for the game shutting dow before you can improve your roster.
    Well as you said Marvel has past trough some generations on his more than 70 years as your nephew could say.
    Match up gem games are there for more than 30 years.
    So I would say now hearing that you can improve your roster without worries :)
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Joe is right , this is a whales only game. If you missed the initial launch there’s really no point in thinking you’ll ever catch up or be competitive. I started , missing the first 3 years , so I couldn’t even sniff a decent 5* until over 2 years of playing . Even after 3 plus years I’ve never even placed higher than in the 30s. Plus 99% of the players are mindless clones who all follow the same play format using all the same team . For example, I finished 133 points out of first place in a node today , and finished 40th! So if you’re thinking of starting to play as a new player , play only for the enjoyment of the game and forget about being competitive.
  • Bad
    Options
    Joe is right , this is a whales only game. If you missed the initial launch play only for the enjoyment of the game and forget about being competitive.
    Im 538 days and Im one of the most competitive guys around. Im usually at 100 rank pve and 50 pvp.
    But this game has high valuable cps that can be earned and saved with effort.
    And when I started playing there was no 5* char on heroic tokens.
    So no, this is not a game just for whales.