MPQ Sneak Peek: April 2020 (Updated 4/21/20)

Options

Comments

• Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options

Some ideas to shake the game

Real Shield simulator: block each player's most 10 used characters to force battles using new teams. Penalty points for using the same character consecutively more than 2 times.

Circuit city: you get points not by clearing faster but by the amount of combo matches and powers used to win.

Reseted prologue: reset it for 100 hp for each level you have and re doit at your own pace testing different teams (difficulty level adjusted ti player level).

The idea is to give worth to all characters the player has but does not currently use.

• Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options

@Mayo said:
    Some ideas to shake the game

Real Shield simulator: block each player's most 10 used characters to force battles using new teams. Penalty points for using the same character consecutively more than 2 times.

>

Reseted prologue: reset it for 100 hp for each level you have and re doit at your own pace testing different teams (difficulty level adjusted ti player level).

I'd love to see something forcing me to use my whole roster, but would prefer a prolonged PVE, locking out characters I've used. Something untimed and permanently available, like prologue.

Resetting prologue would also be a great, but I would like to see how difficulty would scale. Anything to stretch the game. I find a lot of days where I would want to play more, but can't afford using a weaker team in PVP (over-punishment for losses) and can't do more PVE without killing placement.

• Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options

"Under the pale moonlight" More information on our next 5-Star character coming soon!

Looks like this one slipped under the radar a bit. I'm just going to throw out a guess and say Werewolf By Night because why not.

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Captain_Carlman said:
    "Under the pale moonlight" More information on our next 5-Star character coming soon!

Looks like this one slipped under the radar a bit. I'm just going to throw out a guess and say Werewolf By Night because why not.

We discussed it a little in our alliance chat, but couldn't really do more than grasp at straws.

Some thing Morbius, even though we almost never get non-MCU movie tie-ins, and if we did it would be closer to the movie's release.

Then there was some speculation about the quote "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" (from Nicholson's Joker, which is obviously DC, not Marvel). Even if you ignore the fact that the quote is different (clue says UNDER the pale moonlight), you don't really get much more from "dance with the devil." There's a Nate Gray comic that features a handful of people (I think it's a trade paperback of a variety of issues? so beyond Nate there's no central character that seems obvious for MPQ). And there's a Wolverine comic from that stretch leading up to his revival. So a new Wolverine with his super hot claws?

But again, that requires you to change the wording of the clue to go off down that rabbit hole.

So yeah, Werewolf By Night doesn't seem like an obvious 5, but I haven't got any better guesses, either.

Actually, further searching shows that Werewolf By Night is getting a new comic that was supposed to come out this month, so that's a plenty solid reason to add him to MPQ.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Assuming the next release is a 5 (4/5/4/5... cringe), Mephisto would be super cool, but too on the nose for their clues.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

https://www.shazam.com/track/438174905/moira-under-the-pale-moonlight

Moira (under the pale moonlight) by Corner Boy came up googling that clue with "lyrics" at the end eventually.

I wonder if reincarnation is going to be the new 5* hotness now post-hulk?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moira_MacTaggert

• abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options

@bluewolf said:

Alliance Raids (Sinister 600, Places of Power).....besides interesting/generous rewards, same idea of grind 4X then 3X......added a layer of frustration when your locked-in alliance didn't/couldn't perform and you missed rewards.

The Alliance raids weren't timed - it was select your "area", then 4-clear and locked over 24 hours from memory. This (and the new storylines, and the generous rewards) were why they were so exciting.

I really really want to see these again, especially now that my roster could now handle the hardest nodes.

• adrianjc
    adrianjc Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options

Agreed same with the Gauntlet . Now that I have a roster that can withstand it lol . Maybe bring it back but only as like a bonus and it is unlocked based on your shield clearance level.?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@abenness said:

@bluewolf said:

Alliance Raids (Sinister 600, Places of Power).....besides interesting/generous rewards, same idea of grind 4X then 3X......added a layer of frustration when your locked-in alliance didn't/couldn't perform and you missed rewards.

The Alliance raids weren't timed - it was select your "area", then 4-clear and locked over 24 hours from memory. This (and the new storylines, and the generous rewards) were why they were so exciting.

I really really want to see these again, especially now that my roster could now handle the hardest nodes.

Man, it's been so long (a year and a half) that I forgot it wasn't timed.

Those were pretty nice in that way, but managing your alliance and making sure everyone hit the nodes - that didn't work out great.

I'd like to see this idea explored again in some way, too. But made a little easier/more flexible in terms of getting the rewards.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options

A lot of vets are asking for the Gauntlet to be back. Correct me if I'm wrong about this: My impression of The Gauntlet is this:

1) only certain characters can be used
    2) not exactly time based
    3) no placement reward / pure progression mode
    4) rewards are horrible
    5) Last for a few days

How is this different from Shield Training?

I didn't have the chance to play this mode when I first started playing this.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    A lot of vets are asking for the Gauntlet to be back. Correct me if I'm wrong about this: My impression of The Gauntlet is this:

There were no special character limitations. At that time, you could not take characters into a match against themselves.

Correct, the only time limit was the length of the event. The nodes had points, but only the first clear awarded the points. The nodes had multiple iso drops, but extra clears did not award points.

One time they ran it and had placement rewards. However, since the nodes did not regenerate points, the rewards went to the fastest finishers.

4) rewards are horrible

The final reward was a four star cover.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,193 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:

4) rewards are horrible
    5) Last for a few days

How is this different from Shield Training?

I didn't have the chance to play this mode when I first started playing this.

The gauntlet wasn't really about the prizes, cause they did suck relative to the challenge. Rather, it was a gauge if how strong your roster was and how far you've progressed since the last time it was ran. The roster based scaling was brutal and I never finished it, but it was about the challenge. Just like boss events help break the monotony of Meeting Rocket and Groot in Florida while on The Hunt for Unstable Iso-8 and avoiding a Venom Bomb; the Gauntlet helped to spice things up once in a while...

SHIELD training gives great rewards relative to the challenge. But, since it didn't scale, the only challenge was getting the required characters to lvl 209....

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Thanks everyone for enlightening me about The Gauntlet.

So, that's where "characters getting locked out" come from. I find that concept interesting.

As far as rewards is concerned, I guess it's subjective. I remember seeing a number of feedbacks about how the Gauntlet should have better rewards if it comes back.

A lot of things have changed. If Gauntlet were to be brought back, I think Thor, Okoye, Thanos, Kitty and maybe iHulk should get locked out, on top of not allowing mirror matches, so that there are some kind of challenges.

Scaling wise, I think it could be made a little higher due to support being a huge game changer in matches.

Talking about moonlight, I think some character related to werewolf, bat or vampire comes to mind.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

was it 1-on-1, or team based?

• Waddles_Pines
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    was it 1-on-1, or team based?

It was pretty much like Simulator. Each time they ran it it was different teams. As far as I know it was always 3 on 3, where the only obstacle was that you couldn't play with the same characters on the opponent team. Since the teams changed each time, hypothetically there's nothing stopping them from making some nodes 1 on 1, or some other variant.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It was always the standard 3v3 battle.

One thing Waddles Pines didn't mention is that the gauntlet did have required characters (the 2, 3 & 4* that normal PvE events have). There were several nodes that required you to use these characters to do the battle and if you didn't have the character or your character was too weak to help you would be unable to finish.

Last time it ran I was early in 4* land and didn't have the required 4* so I was unable to do those nodes so I didn't even attempt the 3rd stage where the hardest nodes are and where you'll need the required 4* character. If they do ever bring it back they should do away with the required character nodes.

KGB

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The idea of the Gauntlet is largely carried forward, I think, in SCL10 now, and the SCL system in general. As in, the idea of "how can I take on these nodes and how far can I get?".

It's not as perfectly segmented as the Gauntlet was. And the jump in difficulty from 9 to 10 still seems a bit large for me, but it does present a high bar to clear for many players in terms of difficulty.

The Gauntlet did present different nodes to take on, which was nice (a break from the other events). They could also try to add some new PVEs, perhaps, and accomplish a similar result.

• Waddles_Pines
    Options

Thanks @KGB, my recollection of all the particulars of the gauntlet are foggy. I only got to Alpine (I think that was the 3rd event) a few times and got stomped pretty quickly.

Then again I also have a vague thought that there used to be environmental tiles shaped like hot dogs :D

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The last time they ran Gauntlet was the first time I finished it. I was just starting the transition to 4* land.

I think the final, full progression reward was a Luke C4ge cover. I also seem to remember one of the final nodes required you to have Howard the Duck rostered, so if you didn't have him, you couldn't play to full progression and couldn't get the C4ge cover.

However, even though I got full progression, I wasn't able to green check each node, which I think required three hits of each node. I think I managed it on the first sub and part of the second and third, but not all the nodes. Would live to be able to go back and see if I could manage it now.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Thanks everyone for enlightening me about The Gauntlet.

So, that's where "characters getting locked out" come from. I find that concept interesting.

You may also be thinking of the "Heroic" PvE events, where you were only allowed to use the Boosted characters (weekly and featured). Could make for a nice mix-up for vets, but it was awful if you had substantial gaps in your roster.