**** Maria Hill (S.H.I.E.L.D. Operative) ****

12345679»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not entirely convinced she is going to be trash-tier as people start champing her; that black is fairly spammable, and the strikes are pretty good. I could see her showing up on Kitty based teams in pick-3 eventually.

Yeah, if you have some board control on the team, that countdown isn't that hard to get rid of, and never mind the Invisibility, a cheap AoE on a colour not known for damage is not to be ignored. In combination with Kitty or Okoye, that's some pretty serious damage.
    Also, I finally did manage to get the timing to work out, and her Invisibility does, in fact, prevent the self-damage from her black. Still not sure why they created new functionality for Invisibility rather than using the altered functionality already established for Airborne, but the combo does work as described.
    I think she is mostly fine on offence and of course we will never know how she does on defence. But the exploded bits of Maria showering us as the AI utterly fails to save herself is still a joy to behold.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not entirely convinced she is going to be trash-tier as people start champing her; that black is fairly spammable, and the strikes are pretty good. I could see her showing up on Kitty based teams in pick-3 eventually.

Also, I finally did manage to get the timing to work out, and her Invisibility does, in fact, prevent the self-damage from her black. Still not sure why they created new functionality for Invisibility rather than using the altered functionality already established for Airborne, but the combo does work as described.
    When the countdown reachs 0 appears a spotlight aiming maria. So it makes sense that making invisible scapes the damage.
  • MissoesRicRose
    MissoesRicRose Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Bad said:
    krakenoon said:
    @DAZ0273 while I agree that Maria Hill is a staple & might even show up in in some upcoming shows, one could argue that Sunspot is in the upcoming New Mutants (which I absolutely hate on principle of a lack of Doug & Warlock.)
    But @MissoesRicRose Elektro? Really?
    Electro is part of Sinister Six. Better than Maria Hill who doesn't even have any power.
    Coulson doesnt have too. Haweye and black widow. The punisher.
    I think the real problem of vets players who have all 4* at level 280.or more is that they just dont want any character if its not op . Be it at 5* or at 4*.
    Play hard and just in 2 months you will have her champed. And then things change.
    Even 'champed' will remain awful. Unlike Karnak.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I kinda like her. Granted, I've only been using her with Thor/Okoye and anyone can shine with those 2, but still I'm having a ton of fun with her. Her good moves being on blue and purple, mean 50% Thor is going to give you plenty of chances of building AP. A cheap AoE on blue is a different is fun to fire off with Thor's green. Gives me a funny mental image of Thor bringing down a bunch of lightening to almost take out a team only for Hill to come by and kick them to finish them off. Her purple is cheap, and creates a lot at more covers. Easy to trigger with Thor as well.

She's not someone I'll ever use in PvP outside of her own event (Which will probably never be ran again), her black is too much of an issue on defense, but I could see her getting some use in PvE.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have played over 80 matches in her PvP and I have trouble downing my own Maria most of the time.

One thing that stands out is that her animations are hilarious.

I'm looking to try out some teams in the far future after I get her champed.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2020
    Experimented more with her black and invisibility in general and found the following:

- Turning Maria Hill invisible does prevent her from receiving Best of Intentions CD tile self-damage
    - You don't need to user her blue. Any way of turning her invisible is fine. I've tried Invisible Woman's yellow and if Maria is invisible by the time the CD tile goes off, she is not damaged.
    - Turning Kate invisible, however, DOES NOT prevent her from her black CD tile self-damage.

This highly suggests that it isn't the invisibility state that prevents the damage. But Maria's Best of Intentions CD is an exception and coded in a way that it won't deal damage to Maria herself if she's invisible. 

The game never modify any self-damage, as invisibility and protect tiles never work on them, and I think it's part of the design so that you will lose health and encourage you to spend money on health pack. However, with a character like Maria Hill, this won't work as most of the time she will be downed from her own CD tile if there isn't a way to avoid it. 

I'm a bit disappointed since if protect tiles or invisibility state do apply to any kind of self-damage, then we might get to see more varieties of team or protect tiles will have more value. 

If they aren't going to modify invisibility state to work with other kind of self-damage, then they should write that part in the descriptions. Something like
    "When this Countdown tile expires, Maria Hill takes damage equal to 90% of her base health unless she's invisible."

• darkwatcherDEZ
    darkwatcherDEZ Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    himatako said:
    Experimented more with her black and invisibility in general and found the following:

- Turning Maria Hill invisible does prevent her from receiving Best of Intentions CD tile self-damage
    - You don't need to user her blue. Any way of turning her invisible is fine. I've tried Invisible Woman's yellow and if Maria is invisible by the time the CD tile goes off, she is not damaged.
    - Turning Kate invisible, however, DOES NOT prevent her from her black CD tile self-damage.

This highly suggests that it isn't the invisibility state that prevents the damage. But Maria's Best of Intentions CD is an exception and coded in a way that it won't deal damage to Maria herself if she's invisible. 

The game never modify any self-damage, as invisibility and protect tiles never work on them, and I think it's part of the design so that you will lose health and encourage you to spend money on health pack. However, with a character like Maria Hill, this won't work as most of the time she will be downed from her own CD tile if there isn't a way to avoid it. 

I'm a bit disappointed since if protect tiles or invisibility state do apply to any kind of self-damage, then we might get to see more varieties of team or protect tiles will have more value. 

If they aren't going to modify invisibility state to work with other kind of self-damage, then they should write that part in the descriptions. Something like
    "When this Countdown tile expires, Maria Hill takes damage equal to 90% of her base health unless she's invisible."

Indeed,

Some experimental fun with just to solidify Maria Hill's Invisibility tile. Checked self-damage with Thanos (fail), Sentry RED + GREEN  = fail, Gambit BLACK = fail, Carnage RED = Lucky dodge? coded for higher friendly HP?

So much for a unique possible invisibility ability. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    himatako said:
    *Snip*

As I said earlier in the thread, self same is treated differently but the game than enemy damage.  I would be very curious to know if her cd is treated as enemy damage (or as an enemy tile), that would probably lead to some odd behaviors that we could try to exploit. 
  • Bad
    I have already 8 covers of her but until now I like her. She is versatile and I still think she can aid dealing great damage. I dont think she would be much above or bottom than any other 4* tough.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sunspot is on Magneto's power level? wild. I haven't read a book with him in it since '92 or so though
    Magneto is much better known than Sunspot. But Sunspot is much stronger (omega-level mutant) and Magneto already has it in the game. No more repeated characters. Many are still missing. But this is talking to another forum topic.

Sunspot was not included in the list of known omega level mutants in the recent House of X series.  Magneto was.

The new "omega level" classification relates to measurement of a mutant's ability in one specific power, so is not necessarily useful for "who would win in a fight" arguments.  Someone with omega level ability in understanding language won't necessarily have any combat experience.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Sunspot is on Magneto's power level? wild. I haven't read a book with him in it since '92 or so though
    Magneto is much better known than Sunspot. But Sunspot is much stronger (omega-level mutant) and Magneto already has it in the game. No more repeated characters. Many are still missing. But this is talking to another forum topic.

Sunspot was not included in the list of known omega level mutants in the recent House of X series.  Magneto was.

The new "omega level" classification relates to measurement of a mutant's ability in one specific power, so is not necessarily useful for "who would win in a fight" arguments.  Someone with omega level ability in understanding language won't necessarily have any combat experience.

Umm, I hate to rain on the nerd parade, but "Omega level" will mean whatever the particular story/arc needs at any given time.  pretending that comic book continuity is ever consistent in any way is a joke.  I think you need to evaluate all that stuff in the context of its time of release.  Pretending that "Omega level" in 2020 books means the same thing as it did in the 80s when introduced is just asking for a headache.
  • Bad
    edited April 2020
    And a month pass by and I champed her. She deals a lot of damage with her traps plus her tiles. Being really cheap on AP. And sinister takes good advantage of that. With valkirye, who provides black AP, is a great team for letting BRB rest. 
    Surely maria sinister and yelena could make and interesting and funny to play trap team.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Maria and sinister... never thought of that :) will try someday. 

Regarding about the trio, Maria, yelena and sinister, I don’t think they are a good pair because yelena and Maria uses the same colour (purple) to put down traps. 
    If only there’s 5* another character that create traps from black or yellow... that would be a good fearsome three!
    i did a check through the roster and the traps are all generated from blue or purple or black abilities. There are none from other colours... sad...