New Feature in R191: Shards

Comments

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    There are hard upper limits to how many saved covers you can bank up per tier, if something like that exists here for shards it would be good to know (assuming you can exceed 1 cover's worth). Can you get into 4-digit amounts, or does it stop at 999?

@HoundofShadow
    Regarding the Profe$$or and Carnage store pricing, I think the daily deal 1x pull was 200, but after that single pulls were actually 400hp?
    IceIX just confirmed on the R191 thread that you can, in fact, have more than one cover's worth in the bank.
    400/300 shards was his cited example.

Edit:
    IceIX also confirmed a cap of 9,999 shards per character.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 580 Critical Contributor
    I offer "hanging shards" to refer to shards that are on a non-targeted character. "Wasted" is closer to the scenario where the character is max champed and you will not be building a dupe. If we can obtain shards on characters that were never targeted, then it's highly likely that there'll be plenty of hanging shards.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I wasn't sure what to expect when they announced the "Targeting Heroes" feature, but I had literally one hope, and one hope only: PLEASE DON'T REPLACE BONUS HEROES. 

Champing Okoye, Thor, and Thanos didn't increase my "fun" as much as I expected. Right after PVE got a little easier, that old, all-too-familiar feeling of being back on the hamster wheel perpetually chasing more 4-stars and 5-stars to champ set in. I'm at a point in this game where literally all there's left to do is chase covers and be a completionist, and getting these new characters only continues to feel like MORE of a slog, not less of one. Its nice I get to choose the color, sure, and I actually see my progress rather than it feeling like "random" luck, but being forced to "progress" toward the cover instead it just dropping feels like the goal posts have been moved ever so slightly. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,352 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I prefer “dangling shards.” 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are hard upper limits to how many saved covers you can bank up per tier, if something like that exists here for shards it would be good to know (assuming you can exceed 1 cover's worth). Can you get into 4-digit amounts, or does it stop at 999?

@HoundofShadow
    Regarding the Profe$$or and Carnage store pricing, I think the daily deal 1x pull was 200, but after that single pulls were actually 400hp?
    IceIX just confirmed on the R191 thread that you can, in fact, have more than one cover's worth in the bank.
    400/300 shards was his cited example.

Edit:
    IceIX also confirmed a cap of 9,999 shards per character.
    Still not enough. That's roughly 25 covers and I want to build an army of Taloses.
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Couldn't you just build an army of Mystiques and shapeshift them all to Talos at least then they'd be useful?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jormagund said:
    Couldn't you just build an army of Mystiques and shapeshift them all to Talos at least then they'd be useful?
    How about an army of Taloses, and shapeshift them all into Mystiques?
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going to shapeshift my army of Taloses into Bishops. We will be unstoppable!
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    I offer "hanging shards" to refer to shards that are on a non-targeted character. "Wasted" is closer to the scenario where the character is max champed and you will not be building a dupe. If we can obtain shards on characters that were never targeted, then it's highly likely that there'll be plenty of hanging shards.
    Hanging Shards (are you from Florida, LOL), dangling shards or wasted shards is all really just another way of saying your BH draw rate is lower than expected.

Currently you expect to get a 5* BH roughly every 133 draws.
    Under the Shard system it's every 166 draws.

But if you average a hang/waste/dangle rate of say 25 shards over time (trying to complete many 5*) you really have an effective rate of 525/3 = 175 draws which is significantly worse than 133 under the current system.

This is why a non-waste solution is desperately needed because a waste rate of 25 shards isn't unreasonable for those of us trying to fully cover our older 5* characters.

KGB
  • Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    I often favourite a 4* because I want to get them to 10 covers (level 209 for the free cover of new 4* releases).
    So if I get as a Pull the 10th cover, but I'm, say, 350 shards in... Those are pretty much worthless to me.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I know this idea has been brought up a bunch, but real world example:
    So I'm looking at my 0-5-1 Iceman.  I'm sure someone has a great simulator for this, but I figure it'll take about 180 pulls to get him covered, so that's right around what it'll take to get a cover through the shard system.
    He's a great candidate for targeting due to that colorless cover, whereas I would not have bonus heroed him.  Yet I'm already dreading this...what if I get lucky and cover him faster than expected, like 120 pulls which wouldnt be outrageous.
    Through the BH system I would have at least known when to switch to someone else, no harm, no foul.  Instead, I would either have to leave it on Bobby to get the champ level, which is not a good investment costing me 1/4th of a 5* cover worth of shards to net me 15% of a 5* cover in the LT champ reward (and really it's less than that but since 15% is less than 25%, I won't derail things by going there), or I can do the sensible thing and abandon 3/4th of a 5* cover.
    And if I get unlucky in covering him, I've not gained anything by targeting him vs the classics I someday hope to cover, because soon enough he'll be among them.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    So I'm looking at my 0-5-1 Iceman.  I'm sure someone has a great simulator for this, but I figure it'll take about 180 pulls to get him covered, so that's right around what it'll take to get a cover through the shard system.
    He's a great candidate for targeting due to that colorless cover, whereas I would not have bonus heroed him.  Yet I'm already dreading this...what if I get lucky and cover him faster than expected, like 120 pulls which wouldnt be outrageous.
    Through the BH system I would have at least known when to switch to someone else, no harm, no foul.  Instead, I would either have to leave it on Bobby to get the champ level, which is not a good investment costing me 1/4th of a 5* cover worth of shards to net me 15% of a 5* cover in the LT champ reward (and really it's less than that but since 15% is less than 25%, I won't derail things by going there), or I can do the sensible thing and abandon 3/4th of a 5* cover.
    And if I get unlucky in covering him, I've not gained anything by targeting him vs the classics I someday hope to cover, because soon enough he'll be among them.
    It depends on how many pulls you've got while he's still in Latest. As soon as Iceman is out of Latest, and your 0/5/1 hasn't changed dramatically, then he's a good candidate for targeted heroes.

Don't know about your math though. Assuming you don't want a saved cover, but the other 2 are welcome, I come to something like 1 in 30 (1/7 * 1/3 * 2/3). 180 pulls would ideally give you 6 covers and perhaps a BH. Not enough to champ...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,352 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    [...]
    I'm thinking at the 5* level it really makes the most sense to split your shards towards the pool you aren't pulling from so this doesn't happen. Just use your shards on a classic and pull from latest, then if you don't organically land Iceman, but are significantly closer and want to finish him, move your favorite over to him there. 

I really hope that the Feeder Talk in this announcement wasn't a smoke show, and we start getting a more regular pace of those. 4* targeted growth seems like it's MUCH more predictable now than it was before, particularly for unfed 4s that feed decent or good 5s (valkyrie, shuri, chavez, vulture, g4mora, kate bishop), so I'd like to start feeling out how much easier it will or won't be to use that system to more effectively target older 5s. Or I guess the New Normal being what it is, to just grow up ridiculous Bishops and WCaps for their own sake...
  • ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    @IceIX

Any final word yet on the cost for daily shard offers? And what the "slight" price increase will be after each purchase?
  • VAHarleygirl
    VAHarleygirl Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    As someone who's been playing this for almost its entire 6 years, i have my entire 3* roster champed, and several maxed or close to it.  I have many 4* that have saved covers yet not in the color I want.  

Character shards is a great idea, & I think once implemented for most of us be better.   But i think either non specific shards,  or even color - specific shards,  would be better.  Because there have been characters in my roster that don't really shine until another character covers up to a more complementary ability (color) level. 
  • Bugeyed
    Bugeyed Posts: 51 Match Maker
    @IceIX

since there is no way to earn or get a Master Support Token, is Demi/D3 looking to expand shards into Supports since this feature is basically  being ignored.  Thoughts on supports? 
    Or will shards become the next item they introduce and then forget
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,763 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    I just wanna mention that im with the majority here when it comes to the wish/demand that shards could be moved, or kept in a central pool.  

I like the ideas that the community is coming up with.  

While i personally find it hard to get bothered over much in a game (you can probably surmise that in my posts), i do see everyone's collective point.  I, too, will find it ever so slightly annoying to earn X23 shards or anyone else's shards im not working on... Knowing full well that i couldve instead enjoyed a chance at a bonus heart.

Any overage past the target number, if im not going for another cover, is considered wasted by many, but digressions aside, its the OCD and timesink of this game that drives someone crazy, when they see what equates to as any amount of time they couldve thrown into another character.

Just wanted to say that i understand the idea and the struggle.  Im just very laid back when it comes to games...  Sure, i play hard, but i usually shrug off negative issues, looking for a silver lining or a devil's advocate.  

Here's to hoping the developers hear/read the collective complaints to the system not-in-place yet.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Exactly the issue I meant in my post earlier. I like the basic idea of the TH mechanics, but it's the non-discrete aspect of the sharding system what I'm most sceptical about.

I didn't post my 'real world example' yet as I would be partially repeating myself, but I still had this in a saved draft to illustrate my view:

In my eyes the bonus or target reward system should help in completing characters directly.

With respect to that goal, the bonus hero system is 'flawed' in the sense that you can receive a "useless" cover (ie, a color you already have 5 covers for). But at the same time, once you DO finish the character, the "useless" reward will still be useful as an immediate extra champ level. The target hero system improves upon that flaw by being "colorless", but at the same time takes a step back by being "partial".

Example:
    Let's say your Okoye is 5/2/5 and you want to use the new TH system to take her to 13 covers. So you set Okoye as the only 5* TH. Let's also say you're not swimming in CP/tokens, for example, you can average 20 legendary pulls per month. Then, over 6 months you can make 120 legendary pulls, taking you 360 shards towards the 500 shards required for a finished Okoye.

Now say that after those 6 months you finally get a lucky pull from the classic vault (or who knows, maybe there is a new 5* release store that also features her). Yay, you finally completed Okoye!

But..... the TH system hasn't given you anything concrete yet. As @froggerjohn put it elegantly earlier, the Okoye shards have not 'matured into fruition'. So now you must EITHER keep Okoye as TH for 47 more pulls to finally 'harvest' the rewards for sharding her. OR you choose a new TH and by doing so abandon 6 months worth of sharding until you do decide to switch back later.

------

Now I still hope this scenario won't happen too much in the real world, so let's just wait and see. I guess we won't have much of a choice anyway. 

Possible idea to remedy this situation though: at the moment when you make a character a champion, offer the user to transfer the 'remaining' shards to another character. And maybe to prevent abuse, allow only a max of 499 shards to be transferred this way (for 5*s; should be 299 and 399 for 3*s and 4*s respectively).