Captain Hammertime and his broken friends

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I suppose Archangel's anti-airbourne counter might be useful specifically against Vulture just to bring him down.
    I thought about adding him to the list.  But that is a very nice use.  Basically just useful against a handful of opponents, whereas true healing or extra AP/tile strength is always good. 

I also didn't include strange or Thanos because, while they are both very good, there are viable 3* analogues that are clearly a better option for 3* and 4* players.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I used to hide behind my 0/0/1 Banner as a 3* player. If you could get him to transform, it was quite a meat shield at that time.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I used to hide behind my 0/0/1 Banner as a 3* player. If you could get him to transform, it was quite a meat shield at that time.
    Yeah, you can also use Phoenix and Loki in this fashion.  But they are very limited use, being a bit hard to use and restrictive.  So I didn't put any of them on my list, focusing on the real true healers.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree with @Daredevil217 that Worthy Cap isn't broken. I find him relatively easy to dispose of. In many ways, similar to Bishop too as i have good counters. But I must stress that I am in no way near a 5* player and am firmly playing in 4* with no intention of ever leaving. I do concede that both these characters in 5* games are an anomaly and really should be removed from PVP games rather than nerfing them both into oblivion.
    I mean, if Bishop and Worthy Cap become broken because they're facing characters a tier above them that should basically trounce them, then their design are seriously flawed. Yes, 5*'s should be stronger than 4*'s, that's just how it always worked. At the very least, they shouldnt get stunlocked to hell because they dared make a match in one of their strong colors.  

These 2 bozzos are a problem because someone made a terrible decision when designing their passives. They are just awful to fight, they're everywhere and they're making the game worse. It's not possible to just limit them to their own special tier, just fix their passive to activate solely on power activation, not match damage. Or, raise the treshold by a lot, like 3000-4000 dmg or something more reasonable so 5*'s can actually make a match in peace.

Getting punished to move tiles in a match-3 game is completely stupid, that's what it boils down to.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I've been away from the game for a minute (again lol) so pardon my ignorance, but is Captain Hammertime Juggs or Worthy Cap? 

Because BRUH. 

I jumped into a Watch & Learn match against Clint/Worthy Cap without reading Cap's powers, and I lie to you not, the match was over after I made literally ONE move. There was a HFH deal I think a month ago now that featured 3 Shuri covers for $19.99, and needing precisely that to finish Okoye, I dropped that $20 like it was hot. The anniversary double iso finally allowed me to champ her, so I go into this PVP a freshly champed Taskmaster and brand-spanking new Thorkoye, thinking I'm all that and a bag of chips with my choices of dips and a soda. 

I select Cap and bring him to the front, thinking it's best to deal with the unknowns first. I make a match, and the board suddenly has 1-turn CDs popping up. They begin to resolve on the AIs turn, and I watch dumbfounded as Clint/Cap ability banners pop up on the screen one after another, and the red/blue ap reserves of the enemy team go up to ungodly levels. Realizing this isn't going to go well for me, I attempt to retreat. The button doesn't respond. I go, "Hmm, that's weird.....the game only doesn't let me do that when my entire team is about to die". My soul leaves my body as I watch my 50K health Thor just get pounded to oblivion, and I rage quit the app before I have to watch the rest of my team suffer the same fate. A great lesson in humility was learned this day. 
    LOL, this is almost exactly what happened to me when I came back to the game like 2 months ago.  Gotta say I was quite surprised. 

But nowhere near as surprised as I am seeing the same people who were outraged at Gambit generating 3 purple and 3 red per turn defend a pair of characters that can passively generate 30 red and 30 blue in one turn.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    T_REZ5000 said:
    I've been away from the game for a minute (again lol) so pardon my ignorance, but is Captain Hammertime Juggs or Worthy Cap? 

Because BRUH. 

I jumped into a Watch & Learn match against Clint/Worthy Cap without reading Cap's powers, and I lie to you not, the match was over after I made literally ONE move. There was a HFH deal I think a month ago now that featured 3 Shuri covers for $19.99, and needing precisely that to finish Okoye, I dropped that $20 like it was hot. The anniversary double iso finally allowed me to champ her, so I go into this PVP a freshly champed Taskmaster and brand-spanking new Thorkoye, thinking I'm all that and a bag of chips with my choices of dips and a soda. 

I select Cap and bring him to the front, thinking it's best to deal with the unknowns first. I make a match, and the board suddenly has 1-turn CDs popping up. They begin to resolve on the AIs turn, and I watch dumbfounded as Clint/Cap ability banners pop up on the screen one after another, and the red/blue ap reserves of the enemy team go up to ungodly levels. Realizing this isn't going to go well for me, I attempt to retreat. The button doesn't respond. I go, "Hmm, that's weird.....the game only doesn't let me do that when my entire team is about to die". My soul leaves my body as I watch my 50K health Thor just get pounded to oblivion, and I rage quit the app before I have to watch the rest of my team suffer the same fate. A great lesson in humility was learned this day. 
    LOL, this is almost exactly what happened to me when I came back to the game like 2 months ago.  Gotta say I was quite surprised. 

But nowhere near as surprised as I am seeing the same people who were outraged at Gambit generating 3 purple and 3 red per turn defend a pair of characters that can passively generate 30 red and 30 blue in one turn.
    Thorkoye is a bad matchup for this team.  Thinking “I have Thorkoye so I can steamroll anything” was the first mistake.  This team has a certain synergy that has to be planned for. But it’s not broken. Bish to me is. The fact that Cap needs really two other characters to be effective (Hawk to generate AP and a third to get good use out of it) puts him a tier below to me. 

I’d say try a different team/strategy and see if you get different results. I am destroying every HammerCap team I see in Strange’s PvP right now. Strange is usually my antidote for this particular pairing (or broken Bishop, or Professor X or true healing 5s who can shrug off spam damage), due to their power-spammy nature. But boosted Strange fueled by boosted Grocket strikes? Yeah, keep spamming those 5AP powers Clint. See what happens. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For those defending these 2 characters or just defending one I truly feel like you are missing the point on what makes these characters bad for the game.

there are 2 passive powers.  One says if you take X amount of damage A happens.  The 2nd is if someone on your team takes Y amount of damage B happens.  The combination of these two passives is what is broken and both passives should not be on one character in the game.

look at Thing, DP, Rouge.  All have the passive if your team takes X damage Y occurs and none are broken because you can kill them first.  3* marvel has the opposite if she takes X damage Y occurs.  Again not a broken 3* because you save her for last.

making characters that do both passives should not be in the game.  If both characters only did one of the 2 they would be fine and still good.  Just don’t keep a combination of both powers which makes them defensive characters only placed out to deter players from attacking them.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think I would make the next 5* have a passive that severely inhibits team match damage to specifically counter Bishop and Worthy and get most 5* initial match damage down to below their thresholds.  In addition, they would accelerate AP gain in some fashion.  As characters die, their passive is reversed and deals extremely strong damage via match damage.  So if someone in the 5* tier wants to use Bishop or Worthy, they will be smacked hard.  This allows a 5* team to gather AP and kill Bishop or Worthy, and then the passive team AP damage would begin to switch from a penalty to a bonus etc. In order to make this character a threat to non-Bishop/Worthy teams, I would make their third power a better version of 4* Ghost Rider black (ie you have to take this character out or you risk losing characters by letting them linger around).  I am thinking yellow (passive team damage power) /blue (AP acceleration power) /black (thorns active power). Another option to consider if they don't want to reproduce the Ghost Rider like power is does his passive impact both friendly and enemy teams and then his third power could be something completely different?

Quite frankly would rather them just come up with a counter as their history of nerfing will simply just make Worthy/Bishop useless, or make them a problem for the 4* tier in place of the 5* tier etc.  I have no faith in the devs ability to nerf. 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Just don’t keep a combination of both powers which makes them defensive characters only placed out to deter players from attacking them.
    Any good defensive character or team combination by definition should be a deterrent towards being attacked. The problem isn't the combination of their passive mechanics; it's simply there is a lack of proper counter solutions. And let's be clear here: these two characters are problematic for a specific subset of the player population. They are not a systemic problem. 

If the dev team were to introduce a new good 5* character with a passive that effectively either neutralized or punished the jump-in-front mechanic or stun ability it would effectively alleviate the frustration felt by those who find fighting against such characters "unenjoyable". Currently we have Silver Surfer with his stun immunity, but I will be the first to admit he is not the ideal solution. There are also other solutions with varying levels of success but no real "silver bullet" if that's what you are looking for.

You mentioned Thing, DP and Rogue as examples of not being "broken". How much difficulty do you have facing them? Do you consider them to be an effective defensive deterrent? I don't. Rogue can be a bit tricky if you are not careful but usually the easiest solution is to simply stun her and take her out first if things get out of hand. 

But my point is that if the dev team simply introduced better solutions to the jump-in-front mechanic and/or stun ability then what need would there be for a nerf? None. Yes, the current state of the meta is frustrating for those that lack the means of dealing with the stun brothers but asking for nerf seems a bit short-sighted to me. It is my hope that dev team is working towards building a more diverse meta than the simple "One team to rule them all" that has traditionally been the meta we have lived under. 

And from my observations, we are moving towards this goal. Teams a player can effectively compete with at the highest tier of regular PvP play include:

Hawkeye/Worthy Cap
    JJ/Bishop
    JJ/Prof X
    Kitty/Grocket
    Okoye/Thor
    Prof X/Iceman

I even saw an old mate of mine hopping with a high level Beta/5* Carnage and asked him about it. He said that while slow, it was a good defensive deterrent and effective against Kitty/Grocket teams. 

Add a character with a great tool kit and a passive that counters Bishop and Worthy and you add another layer to that expanding meta. 

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Counters do not work when a character is as broken as Bishop or Worthy Cap.

Remember Gambit? Remember Archangel & CW Cap that were supposed to be counters to him? 
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    Counters do not work when a character is as broken as Bishop or Worthy Cap.

Remember Gambit? Remember Archangel & CW Cap that were supposed to be counters to him? 
    For real.  If they introduced a hard counter to those characters that was only useful against them, but left Bishop and WC the same, do we really think that would change anything?  

Not sure about Worthy Cap, since I don't have him at a high enough level and any PVP I've fought him in hasn't been too terrible, but I do think Bishop does need to be tweaked.  The idea of his stun firing off after damage from powers is an extremely fair compromise.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ask yourself if the following is true:

1.  Was Bishop recognized as a problem almost immediately?   (debuted 11/15/18)

2.  Would it be good game design to have a counter to a problem in a puzzle game?

3.  How many characters have been introduced since Bishop debuted?  (it's 28)

So.....

Assuming the devs feel like maybe something should be done.....and there is a demand for a character that would effectively counter him ($$$).....don't you think they would have introduced said counter by now if they could effectively design that counter?
  • Nero
    Nero Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I play with 4* and 3*.
    For me the R4coon is much more problematic. Starting the game with 7 assault titles on the board and no one malus...  Reduce them to 3 and many problem are solved. 95% of the teams i facing  are with this thing. It's a pain.
    I see a R4coon, i skip.

Bishop is hard to confront but more interresting and tactical to fight in my 270lvl range . A little rebalance and he will be fine

I have no problem with Wcap. I dont know the combo with the 5*.

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LLohm said:

Since Worthy Cap and Bishop are allowing simple setups which can take down 550 5* with relative ease, does chasing 5* hard even make sense anymore or should people stop at just champed 5* status?
    This has seemed to be the case since the introduction of Kitty, imo. I see plenty of players that BH Kitty only (and/or spend only on vaults that have her), get to 450 Kitty and that's the only 5* you need.

4*'s are the way to beat both Bishop and Cap (as OJSP found above) - so why get other 5*.

I'm with everyone that gets hit all the time by tiny Kitty's (double meaning always meant), as well as Bishop/Cap, and have had the same question that Llohm brings up here - is the intention for devs to make rock-paper-scissors include 4* options over 5* ones? Why bother trying to get every character at all if this is the case - much less every character at the highest level possible?

That said, most of these teams aren't extremely fast (intentional or not) and if I was trying to play the "bunny game" that Jryuart refers to, I wouldn't worry too much about those teams. My bigger issue with them as a 5* player is they are able to both obtain high points and remain there without threat of hits in large part because they hide/escape through the cracks in the MMR system.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Just don’t keep a combination of both powers which makes them defensive characters only placed out to deter players from attacking them.
    Any good defensive character or team combination by definition should be a deterrent towards being attacked. The problem isn't the combination of their passive mechanics; it's simply there is a lack of proper counter solutions. And let's be clear here: these two characters are problematic for a specific subset of the player population. They are not a systemic problem. 

If the dev team were to introduce a new good 5* character with a passive that effectively either neutralized or punished the jump-in-front mechanic or stun ability it would effectively alleviate the frustration felt by those who find fighting against such characters "unenjoyable". Currently we have Silver Surfer with his stun immunity, but I will be the first to admit he is not the ideal solution. There are also other solutions with varying levels of success but no real "silver bullet" if that's what you are looking for.

You mentioned Thing, DP and Rogue as examples of not being "broken". How much difficulty do you have facing them? Do you consider them to be an effective defensive deterrent? I don't. Rogue can be a bit tricky if you are not careful but usually the easiest solution is to simply stun her and take her out first if things get out of hand. 

But my point is that if the dev team simply introduced better solutions to the jump-in-front mechanic and/or stun ability then what need would there be for a nerf? None. Yes, the current state of the meta is frustrating for those that lack the means of dealing with the stun brothers but asking for nerf seems a bit short-sighted to me. It is my hope that dev team is working towards building a more diverse meta than the simple "One team to rule them all" that has traditionally been the meta we have lived under. 

And from my observations, we are moving towards this goal. Teams a player can effectively compete with at the highest tier of regular PvP play include:

Hawkeye/Worthy Cap
    JJ/Bishop
    JJ/Prof X
    Kitty/Grocket
    Okoye/Thor
    Prof X/Iceman

I even saw an old mate of mine hopping with a high level Beta/5* Carnage and asked him about it. He said that while slow, it was a good defensive deterrent and effective against Kitty/Grocket teams. 

Add a character with a great tool kit and a passive that counters Bishop and Worthy and you add another layer to that expanding meta. 

It should not be to make counters to strong characters.  The devs goal should be to make a balanced game.  The fact is they should not have made these 2 passives on the same character not once but twice.  They should have one of the passives not both and they should not be looking to create a character to counter them.  Creating a balanced game mechanics should be the goal period.  Others have posted how Infinity war cap and AA were suppose to counter Gambit which failed miserably.  Trying to create power to counter a broken mechanic is too difficult.  Reworking Bishop and Hammer Cap to have only one of their passives is the better solution.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Isn't Scissor, Paper and Stone concept in many RPGs considered a strategy to create a balanced game?

How do you define "balanced"?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Isn't Scissor, Paper and Stone concept in many RPGs considered a strategy to create a balanced game?

How do you define "balanced"?
    Where any character can win or lose to any other character and you don’t need one specific (or a handful in some cases) counter character to beat them.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's a pretty wide definition of "balanced" because I doubt any characters from 1-star to 3-star tier can beat a 5-star character. They will get match-damaged into defeat. I think that definition need to be tightened up.