The Elderspark

Options

Comments

• James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I enjoyed this.

I love deckbuilding/problem-solving for new events.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I will most certainly not play this event again
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My only comment is this (proliferate) yeah I'm guessing English is not your first language because the way it's worded isn't what is expected of us.  So thanks for causing some lost points.  I love when that happens.  It makes me want to run out and spend tons of money on your game. :)
  • SolRing
    SolRing Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2019
    Options
    None of my leader cards ate the tokens like normal for this event. Very disappointing. At least Bolas isn't as tough as he was on Amonkhet.
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ha, I have 1010 points and still have 21 matches in the queue.  No way.  That's why I quit a competitive group.  I cannot bare to finish these events. 

I did like the fights, other than the last node, where things got really grindy and annoying. 

C'mon devs, Octogan, D3, whomever.... communicate with us.  Talk to us.  We don't bite.... hard.  
  • Kajiya
    Kajiya Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2019
    Options
    So i take it this event was created because the devs are annoyed with us complaining and getting back to us with horrible rewards, horrible bugs and horrible grindy games some of them took like 30min for some people. Also nice work gatekeeping people with horrible objectives that require people to dilude their decks to crank that artificial difficulty even higher, its not like HP bloat is already an genius design :frowning:
    Oh yeah also loading times became even so much worse and the Ai sometimes took a minute to think about moves.
  • SolRing
    SolRing Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I did not bother trying for the tedious secondary objectives on the high end battles. +5 or 10 on top of 45 wasn't worth risking taking 3 times as long as it should using garbo cards.

Completing progression wasn't an issue, several nodes left undone and I still had 1300 some points.
  • RithPrimeval
    RithPrimeval Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2019
    Options
    This event needs a serious overhaul.

6h recharge timer for a 4 node pve event
    Really? Haven't you heard our complaints before?

Boss fights with way too much hp
    Really? Is it so hard to come up with another way to make an encounter feel epic or challenging? It's been said before but this is just lazy design and exacerbates the 6h recharge problem by making matches last ages. Matches should on average take less than 10 minutes (preferably <5). Unless you're doing something crazy like trying to beat RotgP Bolas with a Chandra 1 burn deck with all commons (been there, done that)  But if a boss fight takes almost 30mins not due to card availability or the player's choice, something is wrong. If it's the case for more than 1 encounter in the event... Well you get the point...

Objectives and special gem rules that directly counteract one another. 
    Really? You want us to play Vanguards but feel bad using them...  Come on, it's not rocket science to figure out that penalizing Vanguard activation is not the way to showcase your new card type and get us excited to play them. It's already bad enough that they come in mana jewel packs with duplicates, discouraging us from buying them..

And last but not least: it's seems like it's completely impossible for this team to release anything new without breaking something else. The leader mechanic is messed up, the proliferate objective on 3.2 not working as intended and in our team freezes galore due to the LCS (which in itself should be considered a big improvement but causing freezes makes it a feel-bad experience again).

Please let us not suffer through this event in its current form again. 
  • EvilDead
    EvilDead Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I enjoyed this event aside from the time sink and putrid progression rewards. A lot of people complained about the bugs and what not but luckily I did not experience them. It was a lot harder than other events and I like the challenge but there does need to be a little more reward for all the time spent.

Also PSA for those complaining about soft locks. Every time I thought I was soft locked, I set my phone down for a minute or so and it was only hella lag that eventually dissipated. The Loop Control combined with Vanguards seemed to make the worst lag.

Would be nice to see the event split into two separate events but otherwise I have to say that I enjoyed the challenge. I only made it to 1600 points but who really wants easy mode?
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EvilDead said:

Also PSA for those complaining about soft locks. Every time I thought I was soft locked, I set my phone down for a minute or so and it was only hella lag that eventually dissipated. The Loop Control combined with Vanguards seemed to make the worst lag.

Wanted to reinforce this. Vanguards have introduced serious "thinking" lag for Greg.  Sometimes it looks frozen, but in reality it'll eventually clear up.  It was taking 17-24 seconds for 4.3 to process the start of my turns, for example. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow.
    Time for new Devs I'd say ; we've burned through the second one - I can't believe there's actually someone working on the game who is getting payd. This event was rubbish, the game is unstable, slow and feels kind of like a punishment - summing up the full game experience nicely.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Why are the rewards for 1st and 2nd place 3 individual packs instead of a super pack? 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BATMAN1 said:
    What gives with the trash rewards 40 Mc and 17 jewels? @Brigby @LakeStone
    @bken1234
    Hi @BATMAN1 as a volunteer moderator I don’t have insight on product, design or development decisions. 
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options

Rewards for the event are not good, but even with insane rewards The Elderspark would not be playable. 4 nodes with 6 hours timers is not ok, we cannot play that much, it's simply impossible (or if it is, then it's absolutely not enjoyable).

Why did they came up with 6 hours timers ? I see two possible reasons :

1. It is viewed as the successor of Return of the God-Pharaoh

Back in 2017 RotGP was an insane grind with 4 hours timers. There were lots of complaints here, lots and lots of them, but still a few people seemed to like it. So as a compromise in October 2017 they set the timers to 6 hours. And it's possible they viewed The Elderspark as RotGP's successor and kept the same refresh rate.

The event was still really grindy. But now by adding a 4th node they just turned it into a nightmare. I don't see anyone here welcoming those 6 hours timers, only burnt off players or people telling it feels like work.

But when they first posted about the event they compared it to Avacyn's Madness, which always has had 8 hours recharge time. So maybe the good reason is #2 :

2. DAU rate

I discovered the acronym - which stands for Daily Active Users - on Oktagon's website :

https://www.oktagon.com.br/live-ops

Is the 4 nodes / 6 hours refresh rate a way to have players log in more often and get better statistics at the end of the week ?

But players shoulg log to the game because it is fun, not because we have to... like it's work. It's not. We love it, we want to play it, but it's just a game.

Event needs some reworking. Rewards, encounters, objectives, bug, freezes. But first please set the timers to 8 hours.... That's not a lot of work for you,

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thésée said:

Rewards for the event are not good, but even with insane rewards The Elderspark would not be playable. 4 nodes with 6 hours timers is not ok, we cannot play that much, it's simply impossible (or if it is, then it's absolutely not enjoyable).

Why did they came up with 6 hours timers ? I see two possible reasons :

1. It is viewed as the successor of Return of the God-Pharaoh

Back in 2017 RotGP was an insane grind with 4 hours timers. There were lots of complaints here, lots and lots of them, but still a few people seemed to like it. So as a compromise in October 2017 they set the timers to 6 hours. And it's possible they viewed The Elderspark as RotGP's successor and kept the same refresh rate.

The event was still really grindy. But now by adding a 4th node they just turned it into a nightmare. I don't see anyone here welcoming those 6 hours timers, only burnt off players or people telling it feels like work.

But when they first posted about the event they compared it to Avacyn's Madness, which always has had 8 hours recharge time. So maybe the good reason is #2 :

2. DAU rate

I discovered the acronym - which stands for Daily Active Users - on Oktagon's website :

https://www.oktagon.com.br/live-ops

Is the 4 nodes / 6 hours refresh rate a way to have players log in more often and get better statistics at the end of the week ?

But players shoulg log to the game because it is fun, not because we have to... like it's work. It's not. We love it, we want to play it, but it's just a game.

Event needs some reworking. Rewards, encounters, objectives, bug, freezes. But first please set the timers to 8 hours.... That's not a lot of work for you,

I didn’t even know it was 6 hour timers because it was so grindy that no one in my coalition actually cleared until the last day, and even then it was just a few of us. 

So thats a thing. 
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    Was Avacyn's Madness really always an 8 hour respawn? I remember having to play it constantly that first time it was run. Maybe it was just because the nodes started full?

For the very first run, I don't remember. But since it came back on Schedule (i think it was in the end of 2017) it is 8 hours refresh. But on 5 nodes, it is a bit tedious
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    Was Avacyn's Madness really always an 8 hour respawn? I remember having to play it constantly that first time it was run. Maybe it was just because the nodes started full?
    Events used to all have 6 hour refreshes.  This was changed to 8 hours because we complained a lot about how time-intensive it was, especially on 4 and 5 node events.

I don't know why Oktagon has decided to make new events with a 6 hour refresh again, since pretty much everyone was very happy with the 8 hour system as it was (except for the end times, but this doesn't exactly help that anyway)
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    Events used to all have 6 hour refreshes.  This was changed to 8 hours because we complained a lot about how time-intensive it was, especially on 4 and 5 node events.

I don't know why Oktagon has decided to make new events with a 6 hour refresh again, since pretty much everyone was very happy with the 8 hour system as it was (except for the end times, but this doesn't exactly help that anyway)

Avacys is the 1st boss PVE with 8 hr refresh.

We lived with this refresh rate until we played 2 or 3 ToZ.

Majority of player cant beat the boss PVEs ToZ. Oktagon changed the rate to 4 hrs (to let player play more games for beat the boss).

This 4hrs refresh also applied to boss PVE RotGP as well.

But RotGP is less difficult than ToZ.
    Player requested to change refresh rate to 8 hrs but Oktagon give us 6 hrs refresh instead.

After RotGP,  newer boss PVEs have 8 hrs refresh until TE.
  • souki12
    souki12 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The TDW is already too long for my taste, but this was a whole new level. Never-ending story spiced up with a tremendous lag whenever a vanguard support is in play on Greg's side.

Cut it in two halves (but not as with BotFT when we have a very easy and a very hard half) and it might be bearable if you fix the bugs and reduce some of the crazy mana gains some of the opponents have.

But I liked the flavour.