The Elderspark

Comments

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    souki12 said:
    The TDW is already too long for my taste, but this was a whole new level. Never-ending story spiced up with a tremendous lag whenever a vanguard support is in play on Greg's side.

Cut it in two halves (but not as with BotFT when we have a very easy and a very hard half) and it might be bearable if you fix the bugs and reduce some of the crazy mana gains some of the opponents have.

But I liked the flavour.
    Cutting the event in half is not enough if the rewards are not upped. Each half must give more rewards that the original event
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Well, allow me to be the voice of dissent on the # of rounds. Sorry you feel pressure from your coalition to play the whole thing through. But if you don't want to play: don't. Not everybody has a card collection that will  net them auto wins every game (including the fourth node). Some people struggle to get to 750 for the packs, so the extra rounds were helpful. If you don't want to play, then simply don't. I'm sure there are ways to bring joy to your life other than a high rank in a FtP match-3 phone game. Unless it's truly an addiction for you, in which case you should get help.
  • BigSwifty
    BigSwifty Posts: 98 Match Maker
    I may be in the minority here, but with the exception of the bugs I ran into I thought the event was ok. The harder matches took a long to win, to be sure, but that may just be the decks I have available.
  • BigSwifty
    BigSwifty Posts: 98 Match Maker
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   Although, progression rewards should definitely be improved. runes at capstone is ridiculous.
  • souki12
    souki12 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2019
    Theros said:
    souki12 said:
    The TDW is already too long for my taste, but this was a whole new level. Never-ending story spiced up with a tremendous lag whenever a vanguard support is in play on Greg's side.

Cut it in two halves (but not as with BotFT when we have a very easy and a very hard half) and it might be bearable if you fix the bugs and reduce some of the crazy mana gains some of the opponents have.

But I liked the flavour.
    Cutting the event in half is not enough if the rewards are not upped. Each half must give more rewards that the original event
    I don't disagree. The rewards should be upped for all new events, not just TE. Mainly the jewel rewards, especially when the vanguards are available only for jewels and in non-dupe packs.

There are more issues with TE and they are well described in the previous posts. My main problem with the event was the length. Of the event and of the matches as well because of the nature of the objectives and laggy vanguards.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    Well, allow me to be the voice of dissent on the # of rounds. Sorry you feel pressure from your coalition to play the whole thing through. But if you don't want to play: don't. Not everybody has a card collection that will  net them auto wins every game (including the fourth node). Some people struggle to get to 750 for the packs, so the extra rounds were helpful. If you don't want to play, then simply don't. I'm sure there are ways to bring joy to your life other than a high rank in a FtP match-3 phone game. Unless it's truly an addiction for you, in which case you should get help.

Or the progression requirements have just been set too high ... Maybe? It is not like it requires about 40 dragging games ... With secundary objectives fulfilled ... With no losses ... to get full progression.

If some players really feel like spending 4h a day during 3 days, get 12 charges of dragging encounters on a work day, for less rewards than "a journey through history" for their effort ... This event is perfectly balanced for them ... but should just not be a coalition event.

I actually wonder what kind of player would be the most addicted ... The one asking for a decent quality of life and a reasonable game pace in order to have fun playing, or the one disposed to play even more charges to get underwhelming rewards.

That's without even mentionning the heart of the problem ... Which is the fact that a game developer should just be able to balance his game so it can be at least satisfying for most players, and realistic in terms of investment/payout.

• fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Majority players here used to swimming in spot of survival 
    for 750 ribbons.

It is difficult.
    Keep swimming, one day those player become 'The Worthy' .
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    Was Avacyn's Madness really always an 8 hour respawn? I remember having to play it constantly that first time it was run. Maybe it was just because the nodes started full?
    Events used to all have 6 hour refreshes.  This was changed to 8 hours because we complained a lot about how time-intensive it was, especially on 4 and 5 node events.

I don't know why Oktagon has decided to make new events with a 6 hour refresh again, since pretty much everyone was very happy with the 8 hour system as it was (except for the end times, but this doesn't exactly help that anyway)
    Events all had 4 hour recharges including Acacyn’s Madness. This was changed to 8 hour recharges with the Kaladesh block events — and not well received, I might add. The player base complained loudly of being bored to pieces. 

RotGP was introduced with 4 hour recharges — which enraged the community. After a lot of cooperative polling by all major groups of coalitions, I gave the data to  @Brigby and he went to bat for us with the development and production teams to have the recharges adjusted to a middle ground of 6 hours. 

Not trying to nitpick here, but it’s a good reminder of how diligently he works on our behalf and how much we can accomplish when we work together in a productive and positive manner for the good of the game. 

**Correction the first run or Hallows Eve was the first 8 hour recharge event. (Just found the original TR event info doc) 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. Thanks for providing all of your feedback. I've gone ahead and passed it along to the rest of our team, and we're looking into ways we can improve the event moving forward.
  • BATMAN1
    BATMAN1 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    bken1234 said:

Not trying to nitpick here, but it’s a good reminder of how diligently he works on our behalf and how much we can accomplish when we work together in a productive and positive manner for the good of the game. 

**Correction the first run or Hallows Eve was the first 8 hour recharge event. (Just found the original TR event info doc) 
    Yes I agree. @Bri@Brigby is a invaluable part of our community and I believe many players share the same view.

I also agree with your second statement that much can get done if we work together. The player base has made many accommodations for the devs and have supported them through the hard times and have not turned their backs on the game despite the many challenges (Take your pick).  So what I ask now is when are the devs gonna work together with us. There is a long list of matters we have asked them about and they’ve been tight lipped. So let’s just focus on three when are they gonna make some “work together” to fix the grindy events, the slap in the face rewards and the infuriating vanguard fiasco. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    Was Avacyn's Madness really always an 8 hour respawn? I remember having to play it constantly that first time it was run. Maybe it was just because the nodes started full?
    Events used to all have 6 hour refreshes.  This was changed to 8 hours because we complained a lot about how time-intensive it was, especially on 4 and 5 node events.

I don't know why Oktagon has decided to make new events with a 6 hour refresh again, since pretty much everyone was very happy with the 8 hour system as it was (except for the end times, but this doesn't exactly help that anyway)
    Events all had 4 hour recharges including Acacyn’s Madness. This was changed to 8 hour recharges with the Kaladesh block events — and not well received, I might add. The player base complained loudly of being bored to pieces. 

RotGP was introduced with 4 hour recharges — which enraged the community. After a lot of cooperative polling by all major groups of coalitions, I gave the data to  @Brigby and he went to bat for us with the development and production teams to have the recharges adjusted to a middle ground of 6 hours. 

Huh, it seems my memory is even faultier than usual.  Just goes to show how quickly we get used to new normals.

I really don't remember 4 hour refreshes, although I do remember the backlash when we switched to 8.
    Of course back then most events were enraged and loading times were fairly nonexistant, so you could clear a full round in 20 min and then be stuck with nothing to do for 7.5 hours.  Now I can't even clear 2 fights in 20 min, so having to log back in more frequently feels like much more of a drag. 
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I'm on the fence on this one.  I agree that event was long, progression rewards could be better, recharge time seemed low, bosses seemed somewhat overpowered if you tried to get Max points and lots of lag time.

I did like the fact that it forced you to use some different cards if you wanted Max pts.  I thought coalition rewards were fair.  

Let's be honest there though, there is no way they can make a event were everyone will be happy.  

• SolRing
    SolRing Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    We cant compare the game now to back then. As the game is it takes so long to load a match you end up spending more time looking at load screens than playing....except against grindy 500hp bosses.
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    tfg76 said:
    I hear two voices:

- Some want fewer charges because of the pressure to play from the coalition.
    - Some want more charges because it can be hard to reach progression rewards with a limited set of cards.

I have been in both of these situations. My suggestion would be to cap the contribution an individual can give to their coalition (maybe at progression +25% or something). That way, the event can have as many charges as it wants. Veterans will be able to fill their quota at some point, and beginners would have more chances.

For this particular event though, progression was also fairly high compared to the maximum, so there might have to be some slight adjustment there too.

This is a clever idea, but it would likely result in a 50-way tie for first place on the coalition standings.

I'm sympathetic to newer players struggling with the tough battles in this event and feeling like they won't be able to make progression even after putting in their best effort.  The devs' solution to this appears to be to make sure that the progression rewards aren't worth chasing!

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
      As far as i remember, pve events never made things easy for new players neither... At least on the first run. 
      ES was terribly grindy ... But i wouldn't say that the hardest encounters were harder than Tezzeret, samut or even persistent nightmare in their respective events. And considering the rewards you had to leave behind if you were unable to achieve progression back in the days, it was much more frustrating than missing a booster or 5500 runes.

Anyway, if the grind and the endless charges purpose is to make progession reachable for new players (which i honestly don't believe ...) There are other options too.
       It is already possible for devs to set different rewards for different tiers ... I dont think it would be hard for them to set different progression caps in pve depending on the tier you're in.

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow @bken1234, very well said.  Its true that the lack of progressive balance is what makes the event feel much more grindy than it otherwise would have been (well, that and the massive loading times we have now).

Oktagon really does not seem to understand balance at all.  It was acceptable at first but now they've been doing this long enough that they should have something figured out.

Also, I get that its a low bar but can we really say that this was a non-buggy PvE run?  There is a post with literally two pages of bugs from this event in the events forum (quite a few of which were objectives or abilities not working properly).  I mean, the premier boss (Bolas) fight had an ability that worked absolutely nothing like it was written.
    I'm not saying that you're wrong (since the app didn't crash, which is usually what happens), but man it feels weird congratulating the team for this mess.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Wow @bken1234, very well said.  Its true that the lack of progressive balance is what makes the event feel much more grindy than it otherwise would have been (well, that and the massive loading times we have now).

Oktagon really does not seem to understand balance at all.  It was acceptable at first but now they've been doing this long enough that they should have something figured out.

Also, I get that its a low bar but can we really say that this was a non-buggy PvE run?  There is a post with literally two pages of bugs from this event in the events forum (quite a few of which were objectives or abilities not working properly).  I mean, the premier boss (Bolas) fight had an ability that worked absolutely nothing like it was written.
    I'm not saying that you're wrong (since the app didn't crash, which is usually what happens), but man it feels weird congratulating the team for this mess.
    I did not say non buggy. 

I said least buggy. 

Huge difference.