The Elderspark

12346»

Comments

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    I hit max progression and stopped. but I rarely ever go past progression because this game has never been solid enough to play competitively and I've really only ever played it casually. I also only hit max progression because it was too hot to go outside like, all weekend, so spending a few hours a day on this game was a fine way to pass the time. I just don't know why we're still doing node recharges at all though; just give us all the charges we're going to get, right up front at the start of the event, and let people play whenever they want.

The rewards were garbage for the amount of time invested but I find that to be basically par for the course for most events IMO; the few actually generous events are far further from the norm than one slightly-more-tightfisted-than-usual event. I dunno. I get that the in-game economies of CCGs are hard to balance because the "supply" side of new cards is subject to a bunch of external factors (like development time) that are basically impossible to account for, but the fact is this game's economy is a huge mess. Has been for a while though, and I have no idea how you'd fix it at this point.

I didn't find the individual nodes themselves to be that crazy balance-wise, yes they were challenging and forced me to think creatively and outside-the-box about my deck designs (I found I used Vraska 2 for several of them. Yes, Vraska 2!) but they were all doable, the secondary objectives were pretty doable and not outrageously tedious, and while the entire last node was needlessly high-health and time-consuming, the only node that really felt significantly overtuned to me was Vitu-Ghazi. That one could definitely stand to get toned down a smidge. I liked the general amount of creativity in designing the opponents though, and that the decks tended more towards mechanical themes instead of "here is a deck stuffed full of mythics"; it actually felt a lot better designed in that respect that some of the nonsense from Hibernum like the original Oath of the Gatewatch event. It also felt like a step up from Bo4T to me; I do feel like Oktagon is continuing to get a better grasp on gameplay mechanics; now if only they could get an equally good grasp on the bugs, and the economy.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    I agree on the design part, but the time invested this weekend just to keep up with the nodes was just absurd. I had to play three straight days just to keep up and was only able to finish all the charges on the last day, DURING work. A game should be fun, not work. The game was also INCREDIBLY slow, and I'm not talking about loading times (and yes, these are also slow). When vanguards are on the board it gets even worse. My Bolas matches all took over 30 minutes for a SINGLE match! Sorry, but a game should be a way to fill up some spare time, not a weekend job. This event needs a serious overhaul regarding time invested. Also, the rewards don't reflect the effort put into this event AT ALL.
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    My personal experience was that this is the buggiest event I have played. Secondaries on multiple nodes were inconsistently counted, I had at least 5 soft locks due to the LPS freezing my game, and 2.1 (the Domri fight) hard crashed twice. 

I like the overall idea of the event, but 6hr recharges and all the bugs made it not much fun. I think with some revisions, this  could be a great PvE, but changes definitely need to be made.
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    madwren said:

Also, please don’t conflate the desire to excel at a game, and to win, with an addiction. There’s no need to spew thinly-veiled insults because you dislike an opinion on node refresh timers. Let’s focus on finding solutions that help everyone.  

This is dangerous. To make such a statement that tries to dismiss the addictive nature of mobile gaming with rng mechanics as having no effect on people who play them. Search mobile
    gaming addiction and see for yourself the growing information that is being found. While I agree for most it is just competitive nature, I have to disagree that it is only that drive in some or many players. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Machine

Both Brigby and Lakestone are out of the office (as posted in announcements). I’m sure they will answer your questions when they return. 
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
    bken1234 said:
    @Machine

Both Brigby and Lakestone are out of the office (as posted in announcements). I’m sure they will answer your questions when they return. 
    Thanks for the heads-up @bken1234. I wasn't aware that Lakestone was also out of office. Let's see what their take is on this subject, although I don't think (but still hope) that it will matter for this weekend. Too bad we will have to go through the same nonsense again just like we did with B4T.