The Elderspark

Comments

• IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    starfall said:
    IM_CARLOS said:
    I like pve for the first time, because you don't know, what's coming up next.
    You do if you read the wiki.

https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/The_Elderspark
    Right, but I have twenty or more of this event comming, where I know what's coming... and missing rewards is not rwally a problem on this events. It's the new game concept!

I laugh about final progression with 3M of useless runes. Okay if you have 50 unleveled pw, but even then there are way better option to waste your time. 

I prefer not to spoiler for the first time. 
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Volrak said:
    Even with 8h recharges, TE would already be on the extreme end in terms of commitment required (measured by number of games to play).  With 6h recharges, it sets a new bar.
     Event   Total games
     AWR      20
     B4T pt1  21
     B4T pt2  21
     RaW      24
     AM       35
     RtO      30
     HoR      32
     TDW      36
     HoD      39
     TE (8h)  40
     RGP      45
     TE (6h)  52
    This would be less problematic if the rewards also set a new bar.  (As has been pointed out, they don't.)

It might help player sentiment if the devs could confirm that 6h is a bug, and that 8h (as communicated in the event details) will be used for future reruns of the event.

Reducing the event from 3 days to 2 would be another way to improve its reception.
    Hey, Ravnica wasn’t demolished in a day... oh wait, yeah it was
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @volrak - great illustration! Can you remember how BO4T looked originally? I think it would be interesting to see where that would have placed in your chart.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    Well, I'm just glad they didn't make the final progression reward anything interesting like a Mythical or Jewels or Crystals... I mean.. Everyone was asking for more runes, right? We're ALL running out of them or can't make enough of them?... :neutral:
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    The 6 hours can't be a mistake ... It has been set in both RAW and ES ... When they released ES they already had the feedback about RAW's refresh ... They had plenty of time to react before the release.

We also could have thought that RAW's low jewel rewards was a mistake but now we know it wasn't either ... Twice the same mistakes ... Not revised before an update ... I definitely don't buy it.

The goal is clearly to make the game unrewarding enough to lead players to invest EVEN MORE real cash ... 30 bucks VIP wasn't enough obviously.

Maybe they just did it knowing people would be upset ... And plan to retool it later so they can pretend they listen to feedback after all ... 
    In any case, players would have lost a few months of currencies which is good for their business.

It is in line with the new reward system too ... Giving boosters instead of crystals/jewels allow them to make sure players can't hoard too much before a new set.
    In other words ... If you already completed a set, you keep getting dupes instead of preparing the next release.

We got used to shady commercial behaviour in this game already ... But asking players twice the grind for 1/3 of the rewards is just unbearable  ... Disrespectful is the kindest word i can find ...

It is also particularly cynical to ask that much from players when you're unable to provide a quality service in terms of stability (broken cards, bugs, freezes, loading time ...), or fail to grant players the services they pay for (VIP in this case).
  • mayor
    mayor Posts: 57 Match Maker
    I don't think manipulating the player base will be beneficial for any side. I believe you mentioned the tendency to make more money with indecent techniques lately and I don't mean just the VIP. My message to the company is to start dealing with people like humans instead of robots and money will come.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    This event is a headache. Some thoughts:

- Node 4 shouldn't have existed at all.
    - 300+ hp opponents aren't fun in any way and is lazy design.
    - +5 in all color manabonus is not fun in any way and is lazy design.
    - the immortal supports and 'special rulings' are 90% of the time just annoying.

These last 3 points only do one thing; drag the match (also in Bo4t for example). Nothing else. Which brings me to the next point:

- 30+ minute matches, even when won, are not fun.

Like a lot of other veterans here, people playing for the past 2-3 years in top coalitions; your event design is draining our time for hours a day and is sucking out all the fun we had in this game. If not for the MTG interface and my awesome coalition mates I would have been long gone but have reached a breaking point like tons of others.
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Why the anger about the 6 hour refresh? At least for a PvE, you don't need to keep up with other players. Just bang out your 750 progression points when needed, abd call it a day.

At least they only make you get 750 points in this event.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Volrak said:
    Even with 8h recharges, TE would already be on the extreme end in terms of commitment required (measured by number of games to play).  With 6h recharges, it sets a new bar.
     Event   Total games
     AWR      20
     B4T pt1  21
     B4T pt2  21
     RaW      24
     AM       35
     RtO      30
     HoR      32
     TDW      36
     HoD      39
     TE (8h)  40
     RGP      45
     TE (6h)  52
    This would be less problematic if the rewards also set a new bar.  (As has been pointed out, they don't.)

It might help player sentiment if the devs could confirm that 6h is a bug, and that 8h (as communicated in the event details) will be used for future reruns of the event.

Reducing the event from 3 days to 2 would be another way to improve its reception.

Let's hope that @Brigby passes this on at his meeting.
  • ArielSira
    Why the anger about the 6 hour refresh? At least for a PvE, you don't need to keep up with other players. Just bang out your 750 progression points when needed, abd call it a day.

At least they only make you get 750 points in this event.
    Not when you're in a coalition that cares. And I know that's a choice so it's one that will change in the near future. But it is telling that a LOT of people are stepping down from competative play.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby: It seems the sentiment is shared that this event can't be running again in its current form. Please pass this along to the developers as a game should be fun to fill up spare time, not ruin our weekend family time.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Volrak said:
     Event   Total games
     AWR      20
     B4T pt1  21
     B4T pt2  21
     RaW      24
     AM       35
     RtO      30
     HoR      32
     TDW      36
     HoD      39
     TE (8h)  40
     RGP      45
     TE (6h)  52

The 8h recharge could be erroneous in Octagon's book of erroneousnity. 
    Everything is apparently erroneous when it doesn't suit them or somewhat a hassle to deal with. What has been confirmed or intended in the past could be erroneous  at anytime.
    I was expecting new events to award orbs not just cards and packs, especially elderspark with poor rewards. The following article from D3 like many other things is more likely erroneous too.
    https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005652643-What-is-Booster-Crafting-

You would logically expect vanguards to be non dupe (pinks) but this is not the case. You would logically expect vip to get some access to vanguard but this is also not the case. Those in consideration with things that recently became erroneous suggest that Octagon is trending toward austerity. 

We're dealing with ppl that are not consistent in what they do and very random. We have no idea of what their goals are, their road map...

Even if Octagon is not willing to improve rewards, the least it can do is to reduce the amount of nodes or game played. What does it have to lose in doing so?

• BATMAN1
    BATMAN1 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    **** rewards 

vanguards slow down the matches 

way too long 

recharges too fast 

Misleading labels for objectives

this is event is ****, retool or throw it out. 
    Ita very obviously this event is built to showcase vanguards and to create a desire for them. 
  • ArielSira
    Whoever designed 2.3 should be fired. First ability drains, creates 4 tokens and only costs 6 (basically spam every turn). Add to that solid mana bonusses in a few colors and vanguards that increase the cost of my cards. So my stuff is expensive and gets drained at the same time.

I use Kiora with Rupture and Thunderheard for mana; I've beat him twice but lost twice as well; both losses I had no chance to play more than a few cards eventually due to this design. By that time I was nearly dead already.
  • Marvaddin
    Marvaddin Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    It has been months since last time I came to this forum. But I wanted to say this, so I come:

Congratz, The Elderspark is THE WORST EVENT EVER.

Enemies with harsh skills? Check.
    Enemies with too much life? Check.
    Tokens being created at tons each Greg turn? Check.
    Greg "thinking" about how to use his vanguards? Check.
    Effects from supports / vanguards affecting you / your creatures all the time ? Check.
    Extremely long fights (including animation time, even at faster configuration)? Check.
    My creatures / mana / cards disappearing when I can't even guess why? Check.
    6 hours recharges? Check.

As I'm part of a top coalition, I avoid going mad and kicking this. As a consequence, I now have the feeling I have WORKED during all the weekend. Congratz!

But it's not everything. It's Sunday night, and the best part is to know that  we will still have 3 charges, because this TORTURE will end just Monday afternoon.

Who designed this event, must be a genius.