Long-Time Veterans - Player Level Adjustment (4/22/19)

Options

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    Gabrosin said:

To its credit, I have had a couple of Naru Meha + Quasiduplicate loops broken by it (with a 250/250 Naru Meha to deal with rather than just an outright loss because the loop never stops).
    Quasi/Naru, or it's more robust cousin Chord/Naru, should not be a thing in Standard. 2 card combos in a deck with only 10 cards are absurdly easy to set up, especially if they are running Surveil cards, and even more especially if they are running BSZ.

They broke Vampire/Path decks in some kind of bizarre under the hood kludge fix for doing the same thing: putting an arbitrarily large creature into play. But it's fine for mythics, apparently. People should at least pay a little money for their 'I win' buttons.

Chord/Naru has made TDW a lot more boring than it used to be; it perfectly completes the objectives on two different nodes.

The LPS should not be an excuse to allow bad card design.
    Actually, they reverted the forerunners back to their original design when the LPS was introduced, along with several other combos that had been nerfed.

Based on what little information we have received it seems the devs assumed that we would be ok with infinite and semi-infinite loops as long as they were cut off before we threw our phones through a wall.  I happen to agree with this sentiment except for the fact that it is fairly easy to bypass the LPS and it is extremely poorly designed anyway.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    Gabrosin said:

To its credit, I have had a couple of Naru Meha + Quasiduplicate loops broken by it (with a 250/250 Naru Meha to deal with rather than just an outright loss because the loop never stops).
    Quasi/Naru, or it's more robust cousin Chord/Naru, should not be a thing in Standard. 2 card combos in a deck with only 10 cards are absurdly easy to set up, especially if they are running Surveil cards, and even more especially if they are running BSZ.

They broke Vampire/Path decks in some kind of bizarre under the hood kludge fix for doing the same thing: putting an arbitrarily large creature into play. But it's fine for mythics, apparently. People should at least pay a little money for their 'I win' buttons.

Chord/Naru has made TDW a lot more boring than it used to be; it perfectly completes the objectives on two different nodes.

Actually, they reverted the forerunners back to their original design when the LPS was introduced, along with several other combos that had been nerfed.

Based on what little information we have received it seems the devs assumed that we would be ok with infinite and semi-infinite loops as long as they were cut off before we threw our phones through a wall.  I happen to agree with this sentiment except for the fact that it is fairly easy to bypass the LPS and it is extremely poorly designed anyway.
    Legion Conquistador still won't fetch a 5th copy.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    @Gabrosin - thank you for a well written response. I will only focus on the first two lines since the remaining response is correct as far as I see things at this time.
    1. Do you think a new set is a good thing, if there is no PVP, PVE or story to use the cards for?
    2. Do the released sets in MTGPQ need to be synchronised with MTG release plan?
    3. Could MTGPQ release cards from two or three MTG sets twice a year and still be playable?
    4. Would you loose interest in MTGPQ, if there were a release with only new events e.g. old cards for new events, examples of events could be a PVE or a Duel deck titled Dwarves vs. elves or Black knights vs. White knights?
    5. Could MTGPQ sets include a card that had a radically different mechanism/functionality from the paper card in MTG?
    I could go on, but I think you get the picture. I say D3 needs to think outside the box, but the question is; are they allowed to do so?
    I don't think the problem is too many new cards too often released. I think the problem is Oktagon hasn't the resources to design, test, and release the new sets, along with designing new Coalition events AND daily events (like RT) as well. Throw in designing new event types (like Duel Decks) and their already stretched-thin resources simply cannot keep up. I'm guessing that's why we have hastily implemented/poorly thought out problem "solutions" like LPS, unasked-for, poorly thought out ideas like the XP system, buggy or totally over-the-top OP cards/PW's that obviously were not properly tested prior to release, and why communication from the developer usually lags even worse than the game itself.

They're not going to slow down releases. They need to sell cards in order to pay their bills, and we the player base tend to get whiney when a release is delayed. Can you imagine the outcry if they decided to skip a set?

No, I don't think the answer is less cards. I think the answer is more developers, honestly. So they can create all the attendant content when they release a new set, including new events and even Story episodes. If there were more programmers they could allocate more resources to fix the bugs and tune the cards, so it wouldn't continue to take so damn long to fix things.

Now, the only problem is finding ways to pay for them...
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,619 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @TomBsaid:
    I don't think the problem is too many new cards too often released.

I think the problem is Oktagon hasn't the resources to design, test, and release the new sets, along with designing new Coalition events AND daily events (like RT) as well. ...
    Exactly my point, you have just arrived at a different solution.
    TomB said:

They're not going to slow down releases. They need to sell cards in order to pay their bills, and we the player base tend to get whiney when a release is delayed. ...
    Yes, they need income, but surely there are better solutions than launching one buggy set after  another?
    Who wants to buy new cards, when the buyer does not have any new events to use them in and when playing in old events they don’t know what the cards is supposed to do?

Just of the top of my head, I have a number of ideas regarding how to induce more purchases, but they require a steady platform and relevant events in order to function. What D3 has done recently is to significantly increase the number of offers in the vault using old cards (legacy), but even that seems to be insufficient to generate the required cash flow.
    TomB said:

No, I don't think the answer is less cards. I think the answer is more developers, honestly. ....
    I don’t think that is an option, based upon what I have experienced playing MTGPQ. Which is why I suggested some alternatives in my previous post. The developers needs a breather and I don’t think we can wait until core 2020 as suggested by @starfall
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    Mburn7 said:
    starfall said:
    Gabrosin said:

Legion Conquistador still won't fetch a 5th copy.
    Huh really?  I never ran Conquistador, I always use the Forerunner.  I assumed that them reverting one meant they reverted the other.  I guess not.
  • Tremayne
    Options
    starfall said:
    Tremayne said:

What D3 has done recently is to significantly increase the number of offers in the vault using old cards (legacy), but even that seems to be insufficient to generate the required cash flow.
    When game balance revolves around a handful of broken cards, it doesn't matter how many other ones you sell for cash.
    True in plat but is that also the case in the lower tiers?
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    @bken1234 As a moderator who actually plays the game, I'd be really interested to hear your take on this issue (if you have one)
    @starfall

I appreciate that you're looking forward to my input. I have about 3 months of posts to catch up on and I'm only on page 4 of this one. I will certainly add my player feedback in a couple days when I have read and considered all the other thoughts and opinions. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It might be time to get an actual solution.. But I expect nothing, honestly. We're just "someone irrelevant".
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @starfall: maybe they will help you if you become their VIP member! ;-)
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Machine said:
    @starfall: maybe they will help you if you become their VIP member! ;-)
    I'd sign up for the $30 a month plan if the only thing  it came with was 5 honest and timely answers from the devs each month.
  • Tremayne
    Options
    Repost from a different thread since it was mistakenly posted there.

This subject sure died fast with the v3.4 post. I guess that is a simple way to kill the subject, but it must be more and more difficult for the devs to come up with such controversial subjects. 😂🤪

I wonder if more information is forthcoming on this subject soon?
  • Tremayne
    Options
    @starfall - can we agree that the focus of the majority of forum users are on the lack of playable events?

Don't get me wrong, I’m also in the same corner as you (I was placed at lvl 90). However, my expectations about getting some kind of compensation is nowhere to be seen. It would not surprise me if D3 will stick to the “oh, you feel bad, we are sorry, but you are mistaken”-approach, that we have been exposed to before.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The focus surely is the lack of content. I'm advocating this since a year - but since we get ignored anyway, we can as well be ignored in multiple discussions, can't we?