Long-Time Veterans - Player Level Adjustment (4/22/19)

Options

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,619 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Laeuftbeidir - whatever floats your boat! 😄 But you are right, we can wish for more than one thing at a time.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    Tremayne said:
    @starfall - can we agree that the focus of the majority of forum users are on the lack of playable events?

Don't get me wrong, I’m also in the same corner as you (I was placed at lvl 90). However, my expectations about getting some kind of compensation is nowhere to be seen. It would not surprise me if D3 will stick to the “oh, you feel bad, we are sorry, but you are mistaken”-approach, that we have been exposed to before.
    We can absolutely agree that the focus of the forum is not the XP system, and that we are in a minority in this thread (moreso now that players have started quitting the game).

That's no reason to downplay the importance of this particular thread to me and other players, however, especially considering how trivial the issue is to fix! Oktagon are capable of fixing more than one issue at a time; we've had plenty of updates for which the accompanying notes are more than one sentence long.

I wouldn't be surprised if D3 stick it to us either, but then, there are a limited number of issues they can ignore before they lose loo many players to viably run their game. Losing veteran whales should be particularly on their radar, and the XP issue only affects veterans with especially large collections who have demonstrated their desire to go above and beyond the normal levels of play in MTGPQ.

Again, this issue is so easy to fix (compared to some of the months old freezes in the game!), and we the players have explained multiple systems that would work, and we'd be happy to take the time to explain them to D3, who are smart people, despite having failed to grasp the relevant concepts on a few occasions now.

Fixing things the players don't like is something it feels to me like D3/Oktagon should be doing right now.

Of course, if they *are* going to hang us veterans out to dry with the XP system, they could certainly express their displeasure at how this thread is being kept alive, or lock it, even, and me, and lauftbeidir and anyone else who's fed up with the whole thing can just get on with quitting the game and moving onto one of the other ones which is being recommended to us by disillusioned MTGPQ players on Slack or Discord at the moment.

Even some of my non-MTGPQ playing friends are recommending MTG Arena to me ;-) I recommended them to NOT play MTGPQ.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Machine said:
    starfall said:
    Tremayne said:
    @starfall - can we agree that the focus of the majority of forum users are on the lack of playable events?

Don't get me wrong, I’m also in the same corner as you (I was placed at lvl 90). However, my expectations about getting some kind of compensation is nowhere to be seen. It would not surprise me if D3 will stick to the “oh, you feel bad, we are sorry, but you are mistaken”-approach, that we have been exposed to before.
    We can absolutely agree that the focus of the forum is not the XP system, and that we are in a minority in this thread (moreso now that players have started quitting the game).

That's no reason to downplay the importance of this particular thread to me and other players, however, especially considering how trivial the issue is to fix! Oktagon are capable of fixing more than one issue at a time; we've had plenty of updates for which the accompanying notes are more than one sentence long.

I wouldn't be surprised if D3 stick it to us either, but then, there are a limited number of issues they can ignore before they lose loo many players to viably run their game. Losing veteran whales should be particularly on their radar, and the XP issue only affects veterans with especially large collections who have demonstrated their desire to go above and beyond the normal levels of play in MTGPQ.

Again, this issue is so easy to fix (compared to some of the months old freezes in the game!), and we the players have explained multiple systems that would work, and we'd be happy to take the time to explain them to D3, who are smart people, despite having failed to grasp the relevant concepts on a few occasions now.

Fixing things the players don't like is something it feels to me like D3/Oktagon should be doing right now.

Of course, if they *are* going to hang us veterans out to dry with the XP system, they could certainly express their displeasure at how this thread is being kept alive, or lock it, even, and me, and lauftbeidir and anyone else who's fed up with the whole thing can just get on with quitting the game and moving onto one of the other ones which is being recommended to us by disillusioned MTGPQ players on Slack or Discord at the moment.

Even some of my non-MTGPQ playing friends are recommending MTG Arena to me ;-) I recommended them to NOT play MTGPQ.
    Makes sense, since Arena is (in my opinion) the best way to play MTG that isn't tabletop.

It has very few bugs, plenty of communication with the reasoning and process behind any and all changes that get made, and quick response time on bug report.  The timer gets annoying sometimes if your connection isn't great, though.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have spent more time playing Arena now than PQ. It's more fun, and I feel I get my money's worth when I purchase things. I'll never buy another thing in PQ, I won't say I am quitting but my time playing has gone from hours a day to less than an hour. Being treated like some worthless piece of .... makes one change spending habits. PQ has now begun the death rattle for games that lose it' player base and try to buff it up by make it even more pay to play than it was. If Wizards could revoke their ability to be a MTG game... I'd cheer that. Not seeing it happen but it should. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The nerf on packs over this messed up leveling is a low blow. That was so unnecessary.
    The whole thing needs to be scraped
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Theros said:
    The nerf on packs over this messed up leveling is a low blow. That was so unnecessary.
    The whole thing needs to be scraped
    Yup. It's probably more easy to redo the full thing instead of fixing it. Both things will never happen since nobody seems to care.
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If their plan was to make us not regret the leveling rewards we missed out on through the vet adjustment, they're doing a stellar job.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This ain't over yet and I'm still mad.
  • Tremayne
    Options
    @brigby - when do you expect we will get more information on what or how player levels will impact the game?

So far the players have no clue as to whether the huge debacle player levels caused is warranted or not.
  • mayor
    mayor Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Options
    And once more I'm stuck mastering cards watching others that didn't master their cards before going way beyond my level. What stops them from granting the appropriate level to veterans when there are already ppl 40 levels ahead and they can't do anything to reach them. Inability to code it or you just don't care at all for the frustration you are causing?
  • mayor
    mayor Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Options
    So we just need for most of the players to go beyond veteran cap, to see that they did it with 1/5 of my effort, for a chance of compensation. Mmmhhh.... that is going to take quite some time for them to care to change anything anytime soon. Looks like another "sit on your eggs and pray" situation.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    starfall said:
    I have *no idea* why after three attempts, a fair system could not be reached... 
    If we take a step back from the detail (and the painful journey it took to get here), the final system, at a high level, actually seems pretty good.  At a high level, what we were told, and what we got, was:
    • All players get set to an XP total based on the XP they've earned in cards.
    • All players get rewards based on their new level.

This is spot on; pretty much every comment I've ever seen on the matter wanted one both of these things; no comment I can remember framed either of those things as undesirable for the game.

Potential issues arise if you drill down a level, but let's keep them in perspective: they're wrinkles on top of a fundamentally good system.

But how deep are the wrinkles?  We were told our XP would be our "total Color Mastery Points multiplied by 50".  If implemented exactly like that, player levels can vary (possible significantly) depending on how many multicoloured/monocoloured cards and partially mastered cards they had at the time the system was put in place.  However:
    • These potential issues affect the vast majority of players in a normal distribution.  Player outcomes are already arbitrarily (and significantly) skewed in a normal distribution based on their drop rate luck.  We seem to largely accept that, and this is exactly the same kind of effect.
    • It's actually better than that, because we were forewarned and had a chance to take action to improve our outcomes.
    • And something I'm curious about: has it actually been confirmed that multi/mono cards and partially mastered cards didn't count?  I've seen some analysis but don't recall seeing any conclusions.  

• Tremayne
    Options
    @Volrak - I totally agree that D3 did what they - at some point - said they would deliver. As to the wrinkles, we have no clue what impact they will have, because who knows what will come next (I sometimes wonder if D3 even knows, but I digress).

But I wonder, do you Volrak think, from a high level perspective, that matching players based upon the size of their collection multiplied by the dedication to mastering cards, is a good idea? (Though, it might be better than the current method, you knows)