Avengers: Endgame Celebration! *Updated (5/20/19)

Options

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Every time I get my hopes up and BAM, dashed again. Touché world, touché. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    C4rol will be the Cinematic Showdown reward on Saturday, correct?
    If so, my lvl 279 C4rol will miss the getting to 280 by one stinkin' day before she becomes a feeder.
     :'( 

Remember that you're only talking about a windfall equivalent to 25 CP here.  Sure it is nice if you can get it, but it would only push your progress forward by a day or two.

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Cinema Showdowns - be prepared for a challenge!.

3 Days in and certainly no challenge yet.  The fight match ups are cool for sure, but the challenge is severely lacking that it's been a bit more underwhelming so far. 

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:

(There is apparently a bug in node 3 causing bombs to not explode at the bottom of the screen, but bugs are fixable.)

Wait, that Ultron dropped bombs?  I think my fight was over in under a minute and he didn't last more than two moves.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pheregas said:
    bluewolf said:

(There is apparently a bug in node 3 causing bombs to not explode at the bottom of the screen, but bugs are fixable.)

Wait, that Ultron dropped bombs?  I think my fight was over in under a minute and he didn't last more than two moves.
    Yeah, try using the players they suggest.  It's only one node and you'll use characters that haven't seen the light of day in a while... Like I can't remember the last time I used Vision outside of him being essential  :D
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punter1 said:
    Brigby said:

3 Days in and certainly no challenge yet.  The fight match ups are cool for sure, but the challenge is severely lacking that it's been a bit more underwhelming so far. 

I want to be very clear I'm glad roster-based scaling is almost nonexistent in the game these days, but an event like this is actually the perfect instance to use it. 

There's no SCL, so enemies can't scale in that manner. And it's progression only, no placement. So there's no major detriment if a node takes you a few minutes (or longer)  to complete. Players with a more developed roster would get a harder challenge while newer players would potentially be challenged by a limited roster, not necessarily the enemies themselves. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Punter1 said:
    Brigby said:

I want to be very clear I'm glad roster-based scaling is almost nonexistent in the game these days, but an event like this is actually the perfect instance to use it. 

There's no SCL, so enemies can't scale in that manner. And it's progression only, no placement. So there's no major detriment if a node takes you a few minutes (or longer)  to complete. Players with a more developed roster would get a harder challenge while newer players would potentially be challenged by a limited roster, not necessarily the enemies themselves. 
    I believe the 12 Days of MPQ, the presumed model for this event, is roster-scaled.  I am actually quite surprised (and kind of disappointed) this one isn't.  I wouldn't mind the challenge at all.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,637 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm digging it also. With the Ultron fight perhaps I wasn't paying attention because I thought that Vision, Switch and Quicksilver  were all required instead of just one of them and was slightly disappointed when Vision was joined by Captain Marvel and Luke Cage instead. If that was just me then bad me, if others thought the same then it is a very minor gripe that it wasn't so clear you didn't have to choose all 3.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2019
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I'm digging it also. With the Ultron fight perhaps I wasn't paying attention because I thought that Vision, Switch and Quicksilver  were all required instead of just one of them and was slightly disappointed when Vision was joined by Captain Marvel and Luke Cage instead. If that was just me then bad me, if others thought the same then it is a very minor gripe that it wasn't so clear you didn't have to choose all 3.
    You can choose anyone for any position from the available characters, the rest are locked out anyway. For those who do not have deep enough rosters (remember no scls this time) they provided 3 loaner characters, so they too can have fun, and earn some extra stuff. 
    It would also have been thematically correct for the Maximoff twins and Vision to face off against Ultron, re-creating the film battle.

(At a guess maybe Cage and Ms marvel might have been left over from your behemoth burrito? Or some other thing you last used...)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,637 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    You can choose anyone for any position from the available characters, the rest are locked out anyway. For those who do not have deep enough rosters (remember no scls this time) they provided 3 loaner characters, so they too can have fun, and earn some extra stuff. 
    It would also have been thematically correct for the Maximoff twins and Vision to face off against Ultron, re-creating the film battle.

(At a guess maybe Cage and Ms marvel might have been left over from your behemoth burrito? Or some other thing you last used...)
    Nope. Haven't used C4ge that I know of. And that is what I was going for - Vizh, Switch and Quickie but the game decided to ignore my choosing Switch and Quicksilver for some reason and just gave me Vizh. It made the battle quicker to be fair but I was having fun recreating the movie battles so far. No biggie.

Edit - oh and it was 4* Carol not 2*. They must have been highest Avengers on my roster or something ( except I have a 340 Thor but never mind). Weird.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I just wanted to say how very much I like the Cinema Showdown event.

Using the most popular stories of the modern era to inspire matches is an excellent design choice.  It's a lot of fun to try to recreate the matchups we've seen onscreen.

I truly hope this event isn't stuck in the same closet as Fight for Wakanda and that the developers run it at least semi-regularly in some of the months when we don't have a specific theme for a new MCU film or something.  
    This. This is an easily refreshable concept for future film releases or anniversaries and it doesn't take a long time commitment to get a few choice token rewards. I'm really looking forward to getting a Spider-Ham cover from the event, seeing he is limited. This is definitely a lot of fun to play for rosters of all levels and doesn't add too much to the grind of the game. Keep things like this coming in the future, please!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was looking at the rewards for Infinite Pursuit and thought, "Why not offer MCU covers there, instead of Spider-Gwen?"  If we are getting Vintage 4's in PVE, at least for the Endgame period, offering a few of the MCU characters would be a nice nod at the main face of Marvel that likely draws in about half (if not more) of the players of this game at this point.  Two people I thought of were War Machine or Winter Soldier....people maybe who aren't getting a PVP this period and so won't have a cover store.

Maybe it's too late, since it's getting closer to being over, but something to consider if rewards can be looked at before it is.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I was looking at the rewards for Infinite Pursuit and thought, "Why not offer MCU covers there, instead of Spider-Gwen?"  If we are getting Vintage 4's in PVE, at least for the Endgame period, offering a few of the MCU characters would be a nice nod at the main face of Marvel that likely draws in about half (if not more) of the players of this game at this point.  Two people I thought of were War Machine or Winter Soldier....people maybe who aren't getting a PVP this period and so won't have a cover store.

Maybe it's too late, since it's getting closer to being over, but something to consider if rewards can be looked at before it is.
    Naively I thought during the Endgame celebrations all characters rewarded and featured from 2* to 4* (and possibly even 5*) would be from the MCU. For this reason, weeks ago, I switched my 3*BHs to Sam Falcon and T'Challa, as they were lagging behind the group and i was sure they'll be needed. Then i saw its Patch (eh?) and then Sandman and Gambit. What??

It makes no sense, there are loads of vintage 4*s they could have run and still quite a few more 3*s that fit the bill and havent been featured all too recently. I know there is a cycle, but surely for such a big celebration it would have been worth breaking.

Some of the vintage 4*s that could easily have been a tie-in: Black Panther and Shuri, Bucky, Vulture and Iron Spidey, Coulson, any of the Guardians of the Galaxy: Drax, Yondu, Star Lord, Gamora, even Nebula. When was the last time we had Ghost? Or Wasp and Antman? Maybe Valkyrie?

Perhaps some of these will be featured in upcoming pvp events, and its good to see the Cinema Showdown requiring/rewarding some of them. Still, bit of a wasted opportunity I think.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like that they made it not so terribly hard, and gives essential loaners (i dont need them, but newer players will). Good event , basically just free rewards for little effort with some nifty matchups for fun. Best celebration event ever so far!
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Malcrof said:
    I like that they made it not so terribly hard, and gives essential loaners (i dont need them, but newer players will). Good event , basically just free rewards for little effort with some nifty matchups for fun. Best celebration event ever so far!
    While I will agree this event is nice and cool but this is far from the “Best celebration event ever”.  This event is still 1 node that does take about 20-25 seconds and that’s it.  Even if I use my HB today, it’s still 1 power and event is over for another 24 hours.  Just wish there was more to this than 1 node every 24 hours.  
    Best celebration event, for me, is definitely the 1st anniversary lightning rounds. It rained tokens like nobody’s business. 
    I’m so old...
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AXP_isme said:
    Malcrof said:
    While I will agree this event is nice and cool but this is far from the “Best celebration event ever”.  This event is still 1 node that does take about 20-25 seconds and that’s it.  Even if I use my HB today, it’s still 1 power and event is over for another 24 hours.  Just wish there was more to this than 1 node every 24 hours.  
    Best celebration event, for me, is definitely the 1st anniversary lightning rounds. It rained tokens like nobody’s business. 
    I’m so old...
    That First anniversary will never be beat.  That was the best and the most fun of any event that MPQ has done.